Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.36%
31.82%
32.73%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

A question...So Bucky gets brainwashed again once Zemo says the words....but he does he come out of it after him and Cap go in the water? Does it just shut off after a certain amount of time? Just confusing for someone who doesn't know tons of the background. Thanks OP!
Old 05-06-16, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by bigsoos
Sam and Bucky giving Cap the nod after he kissed Sharon had our theater cracking up
But also a little weird that Cap is romancing her and her aunt before that.

Saw the movie tonight and loved it for all the reasons already stated. A tad too long but I guess they had to give all of the characters enough to do.

I wonder how much behind the scenes wrangling there was between Chris Evans and RDJr's agents over screentime. It's a Captain America movie but the movie basically has two lead performances.
Old 05-07-16, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

One other positive thing I liked: Cap finally kept his cowl on through the duration of the big fight at the end. Yay

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
She was one of the Dora Milaje, T'Challa's personal bodyguards (and wives-in-training). I'm sure that we will see more of them.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Dora_Milaje_(Earth-616)
Thanks. I read comics in the mid-late 80s, but Panther was a complete no-show during that time. Don't know anything about that guy.
Old 05-07-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Surely I am not the only one who caught the very subtle shout-out to
Spoiler:
Agent Carter's nemesis. In the conversation between Steve and Bucky, they mentioned Bucky trying to win a bear for a red head. "Her name was Dolores, but everyone called her Dottie." Dottie was part of the same program that eventually produced Black Widow, who is also a red head.
I caught it.
Old 05-07-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Here is my full review, which is also posted to my Facebook page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies, and will be published in the newsletter of a central Florida radio station..

Captain America: Civil War - The personal stakes are higher than ever

Remember way back to "Captain America: The First Avenger"? Steve Rogers, the scrawny kid from Brooklyn with the heart of a lion? All he ever wanted to do was fight for his country and freedom. And his best friend was James "Bucky" Barnes, who always had his back. When Steve got his chance to serve, it was through an experimental "Super Soldier" program that transformed him into Captain America. Steve also met Peggy Carter, the woman who captured his heart. He lost Bucky during a mission, and he lost Peggy when another mission left him frozen in the Arctic for more than 60 years.

Remember "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"? Peggy was now a bed-bound shadow of her former self, and as Steve worked to connect to the modern world, he discovered that Bucky did not die in WWII, but was transformed by Hydra into a brain-washed assassin now known as the legendary Winter Soldier. But even as they fought, Steve still saw traces of his best friend from Brooklyn. And it was time for Steve to have Bucky's back.

These details are important to know as you go into "Captain America: Civil War", and are what makes this a Captain America movie at its core, rather than an Avengers movies. Steve Rogers' fear of losing the last ties to his former life is the heart and soul of this rollicking, colorful, action-packed, blast of pure comic book adrenaline. In fact, personal fears and guilt motivate several of the primary characters in the latest, and quite possibly best, addition to Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The political plot line of this excellent film goes something like this: After the disastrous and deadly events in previous Marvel films - the battle of New York (Avengers I), the collapse of S.H.I.E.L.D. in Washington, D.C. (The Winter Soldier), the destruction of Sokovia (Age of Ultron), and a calamitous mission in Civil War's opening minutes - the UN has created the Sokovia Accords, a resolution to put the Avengers in check and beholden to a committee that would decide when they can help the world, and when they can't. Tony Stark, who continues to suffer PTSD from New York, and whose misguided intentions created Ultron and led to Sokovia's destruction, is ready to sign. Natasha, AKA Black Widow, made her stand about full disclosure after S.H.I.E.L.D. collapsed and sides with Tony, along with his best pal Rhodey (War Machine). Vision, the conscience of the Avengers, would rather err on the side of caution and goes along with Stark as well.

Steve argues that the Avengers have the right to choose to help anytime they are needed, and should not leave it to a third party vote. Siding with him are Sam, AKA Falcon, and Wanda, AKA Scarlet Witch, who is new to the whole Avenging game, but whose actions contributed to the recent scrutiny by the UN. She is guilt-ridden and almost traumatized, but goes with Steve because he's her mentor.

By the way, it is important to note that Thor and Hulk's absences are specifically mentioned by Secretary of State Ross (formerly General Ross of "The Incredible Hulk"). Those two will be road-tripping across the 9 Realms in the upcoming "Thor: Ragnarok" film.

During the signing ceremony, however, disaster strikes once again, people are killed, and the Winter Soldier is blamed. Steve is convinced it's a frame job, but others are not, including the new king of Wakanda, T'Challa, who also happens to be the uber-cool defender of Wakanda, Black Panther.

At this point, "Captain America: Civil War" really takes off and never slows down or looks back. We are introduced and re-introduced to a bevy of other established Marvel characters - Helmut Zemo, a mysterious manipulator lurking in the background of the movie until, well, he suddenly is not, and it is surprising and actually rather inventive and refreshing; Sharon Carter (Agent 13 and Steve's neighbor in Winter Soldier), who is now working for the CIA, but still is still loyal to Captain America; and Scott Lang, who brought the heroics and the funny in Ant-Man.

It's here that I need to pause a moment and talk about the other character that is introduced in Civil War. We've seen him before on film, but personally, this version of Peter Parker/Spider-Man is dead-on the best portrayal of the awkward, smart, funny, and awestruck web-slinger we have ever seen. When we first meet him and his Aunt May (who seems to be getting younger as the years pass!), it is a scene with Tony Stark that is pure comic book gold. This is a kid who's been doing his thing for about six months, trying to stay under the radar, and suddenly Iron-Man shows up and pretty much knows everything. Very funny stuff.

The action in the first half of Civil War is Jason-Bourne great, especially if Bourne had super-powers - a lot of close-quarter fighting, inventive use of props, the ability to jump down from great heights without breaking bones - you know, Bourne.

The battle of the heroes at the Berlin airport - this is the single best pure comic book action sequence ever committed to film. Not only is EVERY ONE of the Avengers (and Spider-Man, Ant-Man and Black Panther) pretty much pounding on each other in their own unique fashions, the dialogue is so perfect, you can practically see the word bubbles above each character as they speak. And without giving too much away, both Spider-Man and Ant-Man rule every scene they are in. Did I mention the entire fight takes place in full daylight? Seriously, the rumble at the airport will make you go back to the box office and demand a refund for your Batman v Superman ticket. (obligatory DC burn)

There is still plenty of story after the airport battle, and the final set-up with the true antagonist of Civil War turns a lot of action tropes on their heads. In fact, the conclusion of Civil War has a very Empire Strikes Back feel to it, and I mean that in the absolute best sense. Given that the directors, the Russo brothers, will be helming the next two Avengers films, you can't help but be excited by the possibilities.

For parents: There are a handful of PG words (G*d*, sh**, a**), a couple of tense scenes when some of our heroes are making their way through dark, tight corridors, and an assassination scene replayed in muted colors that is actually critical to the plot of the story. The action is either Bourne-style, or straight off the comic-book page.

Yes, stay through the credits, there are two extra scenes - and both are important to some planned stand-alone films for a couple of characters.

As I said, "Captain America: Civil War" is likely the best Marvel film to date. It is certainly the most well-rounded, emotional, personal, and pound-for-pound, comic-book-true movie we've seen from the MCU so far. I'm giving this one a full 5 of 5, and may actually see it again in the theater. Definitely has a place on the Blu-ray shelf next to The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.
Old 05-07-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Really liked it, didn't love it as much as I did Winter Soldier or the first Avengers movie. I think a large part of that was the way the movie ended with everything still fractured and any consequences from their fallout not really being played out, whether it was directly for Cap and Iron Man themselves, their teammates, or the world that they live in.

The biggest shock is Rhodes being partially paralyzed, but I don't think that will last and/or can easily be fixed with Stark tech. Winter Soldier losing his arm was shocking, but going back into freeze just felt a bit week given everything Cap did to help him. And it was mentioned before, not seeing any public reaction to the Sokovia accords, let alone the giant Superhero fight, was a little disappointing. It would have been neat to see the public split and support Cap. I just wanted a little more weight to everything that happened, and i'm not sure we got it.

That said, most of the movie was great. The way the conflict came out felt real and felt properly developed and grown over the course of the entire MCU - everything just felt natural to have led up to this point (unlike that other Versus movie ), and the main lead's motivations felt well established. I could see where both Cap and Iron Man were coming from. Also loved Zemo's involvement and that it wasn't yet another guy trying to take over the world. His loss felt like it very much mirrored Tony's. Tony's parents reveal was great - I knew they mentioned Hydra did it, but I didn't really associate Steve knowing that Bucky was responsible. Brutal scene.

Finally, while I didn't love the way Spider-Man was introduced the way lots of people did, I did love seeing him when he was on screen. The quips were great, and love the direct line from Falcon saying something about how usually people don't talk this much in battle Ant-Man was probably the highlight for me, enjoyed all his moments on screen. And loved the Sam and Bucky bro relationship.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-07-16 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*Accords
Old 05-07-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Oops, thanks
Old 05-07-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question about Captain America's powers and abilities: how does he survive those huge falls he takes unscathed? This happens in all of his Marvel movie appearances where he jumps out of planes without a parachute, or drops off the side of buildings. I read his Wiki entry and it states that he has no superhuman powers, but his serum has given him the peak of regular human strength, endurance, agility, etc. Even someone at the peak of human potential would still have their bones broken by such huge falls though, no?
Old 05-07-16, 01:04 PM
Banned

The comics and movies are different to a degree w/ him.

He's tougher for sure. Add in his abilities when he actively makes an action and there's less stress on the body. Also look at some athletic individuals now and what they can do. Parkour guys can do huge ass jumps and whatnot w/o hurting themselves. And that's just regular people. Cap is beyond that. He's the heavenly mixed bag that anyone would want in a soldier w/ what his physicality can do.

He's faster, stronger, more agile, his stamina and endurance are wildly higher than normal, etc. All in one.

His biggest fall is the Triskelion. But the shield takes most of the impact due to its properties... it doesn't stop that Rogers is still falling on metal object for the most part. But he's Cap. He's literal perfection in terms of what the body can do or take.

Based on what we see.. Movie Cap is a bit more... durable possibly than Comic Cap. Movie Cap's abilities, from what I remember, weren't as cleanly as Comic Cap's is now. In comics, we already know for sure what he can (mostly) do due to the volume of material w/ him. But... that can mean fuck all w/ writers too.
Old 05-07-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Seeing this again in a couple of hours.
Old 05-07-16, 02:52 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Seeing this again in a couple of hours.
Me too.... possibly.
Old 05-07-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

Think I'm going to go again later today or tonight too.
Old 05-07-16, 03:24 PM

I think taking my wife to see it again is not out of the question. Within an hour of seeing it, she said, "I could see that again". She only says that about Star Wars movies...
Old 05-07-16, 03:26 PM
Banned

.....That sounds like she liked the prequels too. *raised eyebrow*
Old 05-07-16, 03:29 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Can someone post what the second credits scene was?
Old 05-07-16, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Can someone post what the second credits scene was?
Spider-Man messing with his webshhooters, talking to Aunt May, and a Spider-Man signal comes out of the shooters. Spider-Man will return.

Last edited by anomynous; 05-08-16 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
.....That sounds like she liked the prequels too. *raised eyebrow*
Let me rephrase that. She said that about Empire Strikes Back and The Force Awakens....
Old 05-07-16, 03:59 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Just watched it and found it pretty enjoyable. My first thought is this should be retitled: Captain America: Location Titles

Spidey and Ant-Man were my favorite things about this. I think they finally nailed Spiderman (and I liked Spiderman 1/2). While I enjoyed the big group battle, I never felt there was going to be any immediate threat to anyone. I mean really, if Vision and Scarlett unleashed their powers, they'd be the last two standing.

Now if the big conflict happened AFTER the reveal that Bucky murdered Starks parents, that might have been a different story (as far as a sense of danger). But, I did like the final fight between Cap and Tony and understand why it had to happen the way it did. It also managed to make Cap a little unlikable (to me) for knowing what he did and choosing who he did.

I wonder if Tony will show up in Spiderman: Homecoming or if the Black Panther movie will deal with Bucky somehow.
Old 05-07-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I wonder if Tony will show up in Spiderman: Homecoming or if the Black Panther movie will deal with Bucky somehow.
It's already been announced that:

Old 05-07-16, 04:19 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

It has already been announced that RDJ will appear in Homecoming.
Old 05-07-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

5/5 for me. Tied with Winter Soldier, just under The Avengers for best MCU movie.

I had only seen the original trailer and the Spider-man reveal trailer prior to this. No clips, no interviews. So everything was a pretty big surprise.

When Ant-man swiped his wrist and it went from red to blue I thought "I know what's gonna happen!!" And it did not disappoint.

Just top to bottom incredible. THAT'S how you make a versus movie.

And major props for not making Cap and Bucky defeat the other super soldiers. Any other movie would have definitely gone that direction. This was a much better way to end the flick.
Old 05-07-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
It was great how Steve and Tony reconciled after realizing that both their mother's name is Martha!
i don't know if it was added after BvS, but I loved Falcon's "that's all it takes" moment after Bucky talks about the newspaper in the shoes and Cap believes he is now ok.
Old 05-07-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got back from watching it and I'd put it as my favorite Marvel movie yet. A little higher than Winter Soldier, which was my fave until Civil War.

Great action and some really funny moments. Loved the whole scene with Cap and his car. All the Spider-Man scenes were great. Actor who plays him nailed it.
Old 05-07-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well my really long post didn't save because the forum logged me out. But I would give it a 3/5. Honestly I thought it was pretty mediocre and if that twist had happened in a DC movie fanboys would be screaming bloody murder over it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.