Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.36%
31.82%
32.73%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-05-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

I liked Zemo quite a lot, actually. There's been a lot of talk about Marvel's "villain problem" which I'm not sure I agree with (then again, I liked Ultron myself). Sure, he wasn't really the comics villain except in name, but then again he could become that guy. And I liked how he was just a really dedicated, normal guy who set all this chaos in motion. That scene with him and T'challa on the mountaintop at the end was sweet.
Old 05-06-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Just got back from this and it was cool. Not Winter Soldier cool but it's fine on its own. I did hate some of the atrocious cgi used for vehicles and digital stunt doubles - shit reminded me of Age of Ultron. That one scene where Tony takes off in the black helicopter towards the last act was godawful. I am not sure what happened there but I guess they ran out of time compositing and rendering shit.

I really liked the incorporation of "Giant-Man" - that got an applause from the audience. Also, it was cool to see Spiderman be the first person to get punched by Ant-Man as he goes from ant sized to human sized flying off of Hawkeye's arrow. Dope shit.

Black Panther was cool and fucking Aunt May is smoking hot. Old ass Marisa Tomei is still insanely fuckable.

I'm guessing the reason I like Winter Soldier so much more and it can't seem to be touched in these latter MCU films is that it's so grounded. It's equal parts superhero bullshit mixed in with some cool drama and spy flourishes. It's like watching 3 Days of the Condor set in the MCU. Civil War is definitely not grounded. Fun, but no masterpiece. It is way better than Age of Ultron, though. By leaps and bounds. I didn't even miss Hulk or Thor.

Anyways - this is the spoilers thread, so I will not be adding tags to that shit - it's your own fucking fault if you decide to be up in here without having seen the film.

#youvebeenwarned
Old 05-06-16, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fucking loved it. Lots of action and humor. It was just 2 1/2 hours of pure fun.

I felt like this was more of a continuation of the Winter Soldier than a pick up off the events of Age of Ultron. Anyhow, the Russo Bros. did this right.

Absolutely loved the introduction of Spider-Man. Very funny scenes between Stark and Peter. I guess Marvel has taken some liberty to have Stark be a direct influence to Peter, including being involved with re-designing his suit.

The reveal that the a Winter Soldier murdered Howard Stark and his wife was heartbreaking. RDJ was great in those scenes.

I could go on and on. In my opinion, this and Winter Soldier are neck to neck being the best Marvel movies so far.

And stick around for the 2 post credit scenes. One sort of teases Spider-Man.

So with Capt and some of the Avengers being fugitives, will that be addressed in the next Avengers movie? That's what Evans is contractually obligated to do next right?

Last edited by DJariya; 05-06-16 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-06-16, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was great. Definitely vastly superior to Age of Ultron. One of the top Marvel movies for sure. I'm glad there wasn't some super villain, which would have bloated of way too much. Keeping it simple with the dude orchestrating things was a good change of pace.

The banter during the big brawl was really good, especially from Spidey, Ant Man and Falcon. And Iron Man, after seeing Giant Man.

Black Panther was also cool to see in action- there was a lot going on, but we still got to learn a bit about him.

Only thing I thought was missing was that we didn't really see the regulation debate among the public, or any protestors. There was the mother who was pissed at Tony, but with what a big deal it was, I expected some big reaction from the public (with people on both sides of the fence), or senate hearings, shit like that. Might have been too much to add though.

Last edited by bluetoast; 05-06-16 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-06-16, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When Sam called Scott "Tic-Tac", I about fell out of my chair.

And Spidey's Star Wars reference had me 'ing as well.

Can't wait to see it again.
Old 05-06-16, 12:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'm guessing the reason I like Winter Soldier so much more and it can't seem to be touched in these latter MCU films is that it's so grounded. It's equal parts superhero bullshit mixed in with some cool drama and spy flourishes. It's like watching 3 Days of the Condor set in the MCU. Civil War is definitely not grounded. Fun, but no masterpiece. It is way better than Age of Ultron, though. By leaps and bounds. I didn't even miss Hulk or Thor.

Thought it was pretty grounded myself. I loved that the climax was so interpersonal and character-driven, the build-up through numerous movies coming to a head while the CGI destruction climax of The Winter Soldier was easily that movie's weakest aspect, just a feeling of been there/done that with the typical millions-of-lives-in-peril scenario.
Old 05-06-16, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata View Post
Thought it was pretty grounded myself. I loved that the climax was so interpersonal and character-driven, the build-up through numerous movies coming to a head while the CGI destruction climax of The Winter Soldier was easily that movie's weakest aspect, just a feeling of been there/done that with the typical millions-of-lives-in-peril scenario.

I think Nemo was cool and the red herring of the super soldiers was handled awesomely. I surely did think the heroes were going to team up against them but then nope.

I'm sure we'll see Nemo again - but it will probably be in Black Panther's own movie.
Old 05-06-16, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Came back from an extremely packed theater (I haven't seen it this crowded since Raimi's Spider-Man!) And there was lots of dressing-up going on. Black Widow was working there and there were 2 Spider-Men. One (Pictured) was real dedicated. I guess he was also a worker.
Spoiler:

Great to attend a showing like this.

As for the movie, my main gripe is with the pacing. Quite a bit of chatting occurring in that first half (Though it was nice to see Alfre Woodard appear in the MCU) and the euphoric-high of the airport battle almost gets wiped from memory when we go to Siberia. I also really thought we would get more emotion from the funeral scene, but at least that was made up (As DJariya pointed out) by RDJ's acting by watching that certain video. As for the other gripe:

Just got back from this and it was cool. Not Winter Soldier cool but it's fine on its own. I did hate some of the atrocious cgi used for vehicles and digital stunt doubles - shit reminded me of Age of Ultron.
I didn't mind the vehicles but the stunt doubles were HORRID. We were almost transplanted back to 2003 on many occasions.
I was fine with everything else. I'll also echo the praise here for Bruhl's Zemo. Everytime we see him, it felt like we we're watching a different movie but in a GOOD way. As mentioned, Spidey, Panther and Ants all shine perfectly. And, surprisingly, Vision was shown WAY more than I expected. Lots of good laughs during the middle/2nd-half. "Tic-Tac","Manchurian Candidate" (It looked like I was the only one in the theater who got that) and Sam & Bucky's simutaneous grin got the biggest reaction.

At the moment, I still perfer Winter Soldier (For it's tightness) and even Avengers (Which I still get tremendous delight from) by very slight margins. Yet this is still top notch MCU material. I'll try to go back for a 3D showing on Sunday but it might be tough if the crowds continue to be like this all weekend!

BTW, the joy I expected from both Godzilla and Pacific-Rim, I ended up getting out of GIANT-MAN!
Old 05-06-16, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was absolutely amazing. Just two and a half hours of greatness. I loved how there's so much more to the plot to make us believe the motivations of both Team Cap and Team Iron Man. Like a lot of reviews have mentioned both sides were very well defined and both had good points so there wasn't a clear right side to side with.

There were so many great character moments and despite the loaded cast things seemed well balanced and everyone got a good chance to shine. The airport scene was as good as it was hyped up to be.

Tom Holland was great as Peter and Spidey. Probably the best version of the character to date. I wish we had seen a bit more of him but he had some good moments and the costume looked great. Black Panther was awesome too from what was shown. I can't wait to see him in future films.

Also not sure why some are down on Zemo. I thought he was good and him using Bucky to get The Avengers to turn on each other was great. I actually thought his plan was pretty good and effective and think he's one of the better Marvel villains. Bucky was very well utilized and the reveal that he killed Tony's parents added so much depth and made the final fight so much more impactful. Crossbones was somewhat disappointing but he served his purpose I suppose.

Definitely curious what will come about as a result of the events in this film for the next couple Avengers films. Presumably they'll have to work together to face off with Thanos but it should be interesting to see how things play out with the opposing sides. I'm curious if Rhodey is out of action for good as War Machine and if Cheadle will return again or not and what will become of Bucky.

Overall probably one of if not the best MCU film to date. I'm likely going to go again this weekend.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-06-16 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-06-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

RDJ from 1991 looked really good. I guess they used the same special FX they did on Michael Douglas on Ant-Man.
Old 05-06-16, 01:51 AM

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Lots of good laughs during the middle/2nd-half. "Tic-Tac","Manchurian Candidate" (It looked like I was the only one in the theater who got that).
In my packed theater, I think I'm the only one that caught "Mark Furhman".
Old 05-06-16, 01:54 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I call a good time at the movies.

-aunt may

_Wanda (those puppies were barely contained by her outfit)

-everything spider-man. His solo movie is gonna make a killing

-could watch a falcon/winter soldier standalone movie. Those two were great together

-pretty sure I heard the sound of panties dropping throughout the theater when Cap was holding back the helicopter

-had to pee like a mofo almost from the start, but almost felt like the urge went away during the airport battle. It was that good

-absolutely loved that last fight with cap/buck/ironman. they went at it with everything they had and fought to a complete draw with no cop out.

-glad I stopped watching any trailers/clips after the one that revealed spiderman (tho even at that point, I thought they gave away a lot but goddamn there was so much more in the movie itself that really nothing was spoiled )

-at this point it'd prolly rank them as
CA:WS
CA: CW
GotG

I think CW has a chance of taking that #1 spot but I have to see if it holds up to multiple viewings (which WS has after 7 or 8 times so far)
Old 05-06-16, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"I thought it was a water truck"
Old 05-06-16, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure this will be the common reaction to the airport fight
Spoiler:

Oh and that Lady Wakandian. Whoa! I sure hope she pops up in the solo movie!

Originally Posted by HN View Post
I think CW has a chance of taking that #1 spot but I have to see if it holds up to multiple viewings (which WS has after 7 or 8 times so far)
Yeah this might happen with me too. Guardians seemed to have strong grip on the #2 spot for me, but it really shot down after multiple viewings. You just never know!
Old 05-06-16, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movie was absolutely perfect. And I know the DC/Marvel comparisons are tiresome, but the audience tonight was so into it and having a great time. No one was having a great time with Bats v Supes. The Russo brothers make Zack Snyder look like Ed Wood.
Old 05-06-16, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post

Oh and that Lady Wakandian. Whoa! I sure hope she pops up in the solo movie!
She was one of the Dora Milaje, T'Challa's personal bodyguards (and wives-in-training). I'm sure that we will see more of them.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Dora_Milaje_(Earth-616)

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 05-06-16 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-06-16, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What I really like about this and WS:

– The risk is real (Cap and Iron Man won't die, but maybe someone they care about will)
– This is part of a broader overall story that started before the movie, but
– The film is also self-contained and stands on its own
– You're left wanting more when it ends

Almost all of the MCU movies have good action sequences and fun writing, but only a few hit the four points above.
Old 05-06-16, 06:51 AM

In the words of Spidey... "HOLY SHIT!"

This was so god damn fun.

TWS is still my favorite, but that in no way is a statement on the quality of this film.

This is what a summer blockbuster tentpole should be.
Old 05-06-16, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They really knocked it out of the park in terms of introducing new and building on existing character’s unique personalities. That alone is a substantial accomplishment given how much was crammed in here without feeling crammed. Ant-man and Spider-man were the highlights for me. Both felt simultaneously slightly out of place but also completely at home among the larger cast. The dialog and acting were uniformly excellent throughout the whole movie.

That said, how did Zemo know about Winter Solider and the Starks in the first place? Hell, how did he seemingly know so much about all the heroes? And at the end, he was clearly prepared for the trio of Iron Man, Cap and Winter Soldier to show up at the abandoned facility, but why? I mean Iron Man showing up depended on him figuring out Zemo had been masquerading as Winter Soldier and then convincing a member of Cap’s team to tell him where they were headed. That the villain’s plot hinged on such random coincidence struck me as odd when watching it. I have a hunch the overall plot will have more holes on subsequent viewings.

Anyway, after first viewing, I’d rank it third in the MCU, behind the first Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm looking forward to what the Russo's do with Infinity War.
Old 05-06-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
The movie was absolutely perfect. And I know the DC/Marvel comparisons are tiresome, but the audience tonight was so into it and having a great time. No one was having a great time with Bats v Supes. The Russo brothers make Zack Snyder look like Ed Wood.
Its true. BVS was silent, except for Wonder Woman. Lots of cheers in CW.

I wonder how the mood on the JLA set is today
Old 05-06-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

did it stay true to the comic? i mean at least as ending?
Old 05-06-16, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
RDJ from 1991 looked really good. I guess they used the same special FX they did on Michael Douglas on Ant-Man.
They have a lot to work off of these days, especially for RDJ.

And hell Tomei if they ever needed a flashback there.

Old 05-06-16, 09:07 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got back from this and it was cool. Not Winter Soldier cool but it's fine on its own. I did hate some of the atrocious cgi used for vehicles and digital stunt doubles - shit reminded me of Age of Ultron. That one scene where Tony takes off in the black helicopter towards the last act was godawful. I am not sure what happened there but I guess they ran out of time compositing and rendering shit.
was it when he looked back at Ross and had that smirk? i thought that looked really odd -- like the lighting was off, tony was looking in the wrong direction, and they held the shot too long.
Old 05-06-16, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN View Post
was it when he looked back at Ross and had that smirk? i thought that looked really odd -- like the lighting was off, tony was looking in the wrong direction, and they held the shot too long.
I noticed similar issues in Winter Soldier. Some stuff just doesn't "look right" with the Russo Bros at the helm, hopefully they grow a bit in time for the Infinity War movies. They seem to get the more important aspects down pat, though.
Old 05-06-16, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
did it stay true to the comic? i mean at least as ending?
No.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.