Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.36%
31.82%
32.73%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-05-16, 07:47 PM
Banned

Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

I love it still. It's such a fun flick. But at the same time.. it has a lot of fat to it.

Cap 2 was fucking strong. And Cap 3 was somehow something that worked. Cuz.. I mean.. that's a shit ton of development in characters and action. Fuck. You can easily see where Cap 2 laid a very solid foundation to where Cap 3 had to go. AoU furthered the world plot but Cap 2 showed us how it should be done w/ the direction. The Russos, man. They had a fire in them that I sure as fuck didn't know they could do. Cap 2 and Cap 3 are easily the best directed ones.
Old 09-05-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I think Avengers 1 is a lot fun but Cap 2 beats the fuck out of it.
Really? Cap 2 seemed a bit silly at times with the old german villains and fight scenes.
Old 09-05-16, 07:53 PM
Banned

The fight scenes are awesome. Especially that tanker bit. Jesus. Cap is moving like we all knew he could. It just had never been done right. The fight scenes are the strongest fight scenes up to that point.

German villains? You mean Zola? He fit fine.
Old 09-05-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Really? Cap 2 seemed a bit silly at times with the old german villains and fight scenes.
It was really awkwardly staged at times, I had the same issue. I would just bust out laughing at how goofy something happened despite the overall scenes being carried out relatively well.
Old 09-05-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched it yesterday and the CGI looks less fake in certain scenes. It's not as bad as it was when we watched it at the theater on a big ass screen. I'm not as bothered by it as I was in theaters. A friend had said that he didn't like Black Widow surviving unscathed in the beginning when Crossbones threw her in the back of that vehicle and dropped a grenade in there. Even if she did use a soldier as a shield how was she able to still keep going?

I do think this was better than AoU but not better than Cap 2.
Old 09-05-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
A friend had said that he didn't like Black Widow surviving unscathed in the beginning when Crossbones threw her in the back of that vehicle and dropped a grenade in there. Even if she did use a soldier as a shield how was she able to still keep going?
Yeah, that scene took me out of the movie for a bit.

I had the same issue with some of the over the top action scenes in Cap 2 where bullets seemed unable to get near him.
Old 09-07-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed this at the cinema and have watched it a few times since and still enjoy it. I don't think its as good as Winter Soldier, but that movie had nowhere near the number of characters this movie had. It is amazing that the Russos managed to bring so much into this movie, not only introducing a new character with the Black Panther but also successfully introducing a new Spiderman that for my money is the best interpretation so far, and also making a lot of naysayers from the Ant-man movie think he ended up being one of the best things in the movie. Knowing that they are handling the Infinity War movie provides a good sense of security that it will end up being awesome. They have shown that they can create a good story with fantastic fight scenes and large casts of characters.

And i do agree about the bit with Black Widow. I think something better could have been done to have her seriously injured and this creates more a line in the sand for her character in deciding who to give her allegiance to.

And i think that Zemo was created and played beautifully in this movie. He didnt have to be a mustache twirling super villain, but had a great plan that actually worked by the end of the movie. Would love to see his character return at some point.
Old 09-13-16, 09:45 PM
Banned

Old 09-18-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally watched this last night. I loved it but it still falls just slightly behind The Winter Soldier as my favorite Captain America movie.

As cool as it was seeing Spider-man appear in the film it really felt to me like they were just shoehorning him in to promote his solo film. I had a hard time believing that Stark would take time out in the middle of dealing with everything just to recruit a teenager from Queens to help him fight as well as apparently taking more time to design and create a new spider-man suit. The whole thing just seemed to make very little sense in the flow of the story. Same for Black Panther, who just seemed to be shoehorned into the story as well. Not nearly as glaring as Spider-man though.

Also, I'm sure it sounded fantastic on paper and was probably a comic book geeks wet dream come to life but the airport battle, while super fun, didn't have a whole lot of weight to it and seemed to be put their just for the fans (hey it's called "Civil War" so they all must fight, right?). But when it's 10 minutes of every superhero pulling their punches and not wanting to hurt anyone it just felt like one long Avengers exhibition dance.

All that being said, the main story was well written and the fight choreography was second to none! Some of the best fights I've seen, period, not just for a Marvel film. Also the cast worked great together. Even the newly added crew (ant-man, in particular) were wonderful. Paul Rudd had some classic one liners that fit well. And the final conflict between Iron Man and Cap. had the emotional weight behind it that was sorely missing in the airport battle.

Who would have thought that after the average The First Avenger, that the Captain America films would be the very best of all the Marvel movies! Hopefully the Russo Brothers stay in the Marvel picture for a long, long, time. They're doing a superb job!
Old 09-18-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well during the airport scene despite their differences none of them were actually wanting to hurt each other as much as they were trying to make their points known and the lengths they were willing to go to. The final fight between Tony, Steve, and Bucky is obviously more personal because Tony finds out something devastating that his friend was holding back information about and loses control.
Old 09-19-16, 12:02 AM
Banned

Yeah. At what point is it something that some folks think they're out to kill each other? IM's side is about catching Cap's side. Not killing them. And Cap's side is on the defensive. They're also not out to kill.
Old 09-19-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Yeah. At what point is it something that some folks think they're out to kill each other? IM's side is about catching Cap's side. Not killing them. And Cap's side is on the defensive. They're also not out to kill.
But they managed to do about a couple hundred million in property damage, so it's all good.

Too bad they didn't have the Hulk there; he could've raised it to over a billion.
Old 09-19-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This flick was a fucking achievement - Loved it. I was really impressed with this one. It's amazing how these films can still be made to seem fresh.
Old 09-19-16, 09:39 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought this, I want to watch it, but I want to see Ant-Man first, but I don't have it yet because I can't find it for the kind of $$$ I want to pay, and goddamn what a dilemma...

Old 09-19-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
But they managed to do about a couple hundred million in property damage, so it's all good.

Too bad they didn't have the Hulk there; he could've raised it to over a billion.
Take that kind of talk back to the DC threads, buddy!
Old 09-19-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I rewatched this on Blu-ray and loved it as much as in theaters, although I do have to say the second time around the airport scene wasn't quite as amazing knowing that the consequences to the "Civil War" were fairly limited. And I do have to agree with the Spider-Man comments, it felt more out of place to see Tony go and recruit him. I did think the plot was better then I remembered, especially the Zemo stuff - I appreciated it more, along with the Tony/Cap/Bucky stuff.
Old 09-19-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I didn't find Spidey anymore out of place than say Ant-Man for instance. Prior to this film his only involvement in the MCU was his solo film and he only had brief interaction with Falcon. Tony recruiting Peter is kind of a similar situation only we haven't seen Spider-Man in the MCU at all prior to this film. I thought it mostly worked out for how they approached it with him already in action just on a smaller scale.
Old 01-30-18, 07:39 AM

I gave this a rewatch last night in anticipation of Black Panther (and IW). God damn do I fucking love the way The Russos direct action. The stunt work is so clutch in these movies. If Avengers 3 and 4 are even a percentage of as good incorporating stunt work like that with ALL the characters, dear lord.