DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/634161-captain-america-civil-war-russo-bros-2016-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

Josh-da-man 05-10-16 07:52 PM

Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12798329)

Wait. HOW DID SCOTT LANG GET HUGE? We never saw him go that big before. What did scott do this time that he didn't before?

Those Ron Jeremy pills really do work.

DthRdrX 05-10-16 11:03 PM

Re: Captain America: Civil War (The Russo Bros, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Th

Just got back from seeing this. I usually always go the following Tuesday or Wednesday after a big movie releases to avoid sell outs. I can't believe it but the theater was pretty much sold out tonight.

This movie was awesome IMO.

Double_Oh_7 05-10-16 11:34 PM

Is there any meaning to Rudd's orange slices line? Off all things to say at that moment, it's pretty random. Is it a reference to the Ant-Man solo movie?... because I don't remember it.

mwbmis 05-11-16 12:03 AM

Saw it tonight. Didn't have a problem with the content of the IM/Spidey apartment scene, but I thought coming when it did that it just stopped the movie in it's tracks at a time when the movie needed to get moving. I think that was the kind of scene that would have worked better as a fun deleted scene on the Blu-Ray, and the first time we should see Spidey is when Tony shouts Underoos.

Adken 05-11-16 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 12798633)
Is there any meaning to Rudd's orange slices line? Off all things to say at that moment, it's pretty random. Is it a reference to the Ant-Man solo movie?... because I don't remember it.

When I played AYSO youth soccer, for some reason at the end of EVERY game, we had orange slices, so I assumed it was like "the big games over, whos got orange slices?"

Why So Blu? 05-11-16 01:50 AM

No one in my theater got that reference. Not even me.

:shrug:

Jackskeleton 05-11-16 02:58 AM

Because you're not white enough, brah.

Basically it's a way to replenish dat Vitamin C. Same concept as when you got that Sunny D after playing your "futball" game.

You know, before your life as a mouth breather. ;)

Ketamine 05-11-16 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12798436)
No, but you think Tony or Natasha would have said, "hold on a second..."

I do agree with you that was a problem I had while watching the movie. I would have called BS if they were blaming me for "causing" destruction to a city when in fact I helped save the city (and the world) from an attack. With that said, a raging Hulk just destroying stuff right and left in more than one movie without regard for at least trying to minimize damage did strike true to me as a problem.

I also think that those without powers kind of lump all super beings together no matter if they are on the side of good or not. Kind of like the gun debate we are having now. Those that fear guns pretty much lump all people with guns together. Some crazy person kills people with guns, then there is an outcry for all people with guns to be put in the same category and tighten up regulations on everyone. I'm not trying to get political here, I just see the analogy being pretty close to what going on in the movie.

james2025a 05-11-16 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Adken (Post 12798650)
When I played AYSO youth soccer, for some reason at the end of EVERY game, we had orange slices, so I assumed it was like "the big games over, whos got orange slices?"

Yeah i can see the reference working there, but i think it fell totally flat. Potential for a great one liner, and squandered with this one.

Why So Blu? 05-11-16 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton (Post 12798665)
Because you're not white enough, brah.

Basically it's a way to replenish dat Vitamin C. Same concept as when you got that Sunny D after playing your "futball" game.

You know, before your life as a mouth breather. ;)

:lol:

It's actually "futbol," but I got it now.

Sgtsnake 05-11-16 09:35 AM

Just got back and really enjoyed it but I don't understand the point or Crossbones. Why was he introduced and then gone so quickly.

mndtrp 05-11-16 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 12796486)
--some of the fight editing was a bit too shaky-cam, fast edited--I'm thinking of the fight in the stairwell with Bucky.

Agree with you here. I don't remember Winter Soldier having the same kind of editing.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie. It was more Captain-oriented than I originally expected, but was still a full-on Avengers movie. Everything seemed organic enough for me.

slop101 05-11-16 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ketamine (Post 12798722)
I do agree with you that was a problem I had while watching the movie. I would have called BS if they were blaming me for "causing" destruction to a city when in fact I helped save the city (and the world) from an attack. With that said, a raging Hulk just destroying stuff right and left in more than one movie without regard for at least trying to minimize damage did strike true to me as a problem.

I also think that those without powers kind of lump all super beings together no matter if they are on the side of good or not. Kind of like the gun debate we are having now. Those that fear guns pretty much lump all people with guns together. Some crazy person kills people with guns, then there is an outcry for all people with guns to be put in the same category and tighten up regulations on everyone. I'm not trying to get political here, I just see the analogy being pretty close to what going on in the movie.

It's circular. Without the Avengers, Sokovia and everyone in it would've been completely decimated. But without the Avengers, there'd be no Ultron to put Sokovia in danger either. They do mention this; how their mere presence seems to bring greater danger - chicken or the egg? No one knows.

nando820 05-11-16 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by karoomba (Post 12798186)

The guilt trips about the Battle of NY was stupid, it was an alien invasion and the avengers were brought together by SHIELD..bad example IMO. The South Africa hulk/IM fight would be a much better example. The SHIELD tri carrier crash was also a bad example of the heroes being wreckless.

That's true! totally forgot about that, that was one chance where they could have said and 30 people died in a fight between Avengers!

nando820 05-11-16 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ketamine (Post 12798722)

That's a great analogy. True true

Solid Snake 05-11-16 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12798497)
FYI, these Marvel movies are taking place in "real time". Just as much time flies between the stories in the movies as does between the theatrical releases.

That's what I think as well but... if the end of Ant-Man is a direct reference to Webhead... and he's only been around for 6 months. Cap 3 confirms that Stark has been active since 2008. Sooooooo if that lady at the end of Ant-Man is talking about Spidey... that kind of puts Ant-Man playing a bit before if not already in CW's timeline possibly. Cuz... why is Falcon trying to find Lang by that point? If it's not a reference to join than Falcon is just trying to find him for whatever reason.

slop101 05-11-16 12:57 PM

Ant-man is a little wonky - it's final post-credit sting is a scene straight out of the middle of Civil War.

Solid Snake 05-11-16 01:04 PM

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the last scene w/ Luis telling Lang that story about Falcon trying to find him.

slop101 05-11-16 01:13 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about as well - with the timeline of Ant-Man being more all over the place than the other movies, as in it covered a much longer span of time than the other movies.

freshticles 05-11-16 01:58 PM

I think it has to do with the part about him passing out the last time he tried it. After you get blood taken your glucose gets low and you get dizzy, hence the reason they give you cookies. Sugar, in this case oranges,
helps spike glucose....I think

Solid Snake 05-11-16 02:11 PM

I laughed at it cuz it was just weird but I assumed it was a Gringo thing. For us, or my family, it was just water or fajitas. None of these pinche orange slices.

karoomba 05-11-16 04:20 PM

Another small item I missed from CA:TWS is theme for Winter Soldier..especially the banshee scream that's played when he shows up in a scene. It would've been a nice touch if the director had included that scream when Zemo reactivated TWS.

Why So Blu? 05-11-16 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12799204)
I laughed at it cuz it was just weird but I assumed it was a Gringo thing. For us, or my family, it was just water or fajitas. None of these pinche orange slices.

Fajitas? Tacos, bitch.

Solid Snake 05-11-16 04:34 PM

Obviously.. tacos are the next step w/ Fajitas.

HN 05-11-16 09:59 PM

I know you guys posted this strip before but I never really read it and just realized Sharon carter paraphrased it in her eulogy

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/ima...peg-281444.jpg

(And Falcon later on in the buggy :D)