Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will any more movies ever be made with High Frame Rate 3D?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 07:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Does anyone know if there will ever be any more movies made using high frame rate 3D? Obviously the use of high frame rate 3D in The Hobbit trilogy received mixed responses, though I remember reading that James Cameron was planning on using high frame rate 3D in the Avatar sequels, though I'm not sure if that is still the plan. Anyway, considering a lot of theaters made investments in high frame rate technology for The Hobbit trilogy, I was wondering if any other filmmaker will make use of the technology now that it is more widely available.
Old 04-19-16, 07:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Will any more movies ever be made with High Frame Rate 3D?

No.

/thread
Old 04-19-16, 07:58 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, there's the upcoming Ang Lee's "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk". Some footage screened recently that got some really high praise

The sequence chosen for viewing is 11 minutes intercutting an Iraq War battle with a celebration of the soldiers at an NFL game in Dallas. The experience of the soldiers at home, as performers (almost props) in a celebration in a darkened stadium, contrasts with their firefight and hand-to-hand combat of the Iraq scenes.

The clarity and the almost VR-like sense of presence it creates gives the battle sequences a profound impact. One viewer said after emerging, “Every American ought to see this, this way; then we wouldn’t have any wars for a while.”
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/an...ns-1201755151/
Old 04-20-16, 05:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the replies. So it appears that HFR 3D will only be used on an extremely limited basis, which is unfortunate given the investments that have already been made in the technology. I guess in the future most film historians will likely regard HFR 3D as a failed experiment like many other "gimmicks" filmmakers tried in the past.
Old 04-20-16, 05:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

aka "Shit Vision"
Old 04-20-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 04-20-16, 05:57 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
Thanks for the replies. So it appears that HFR 3D will only be used on an extremely limited basis, which is unfortunate given the investments that have already been made in the technology. I guess in the future most film historians will likely regard HFR 3D as a failed experiment like many other "gimmicks" filmmakers tried in the past.
Well, 3D in general has never made it past being a niche format. HFR even more so. And 3D never took off at home, so there was probably no need to invest any more trying to adopt HFR as well. But with the new 4K UHD specs, you never know, it may come back again on home video. In about 10-15 years.
Old 04-20-16, 06:29 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I found the hfr of The Hobbit very distracting and made some of the movie, particularly non-action oriented scenes, very hard to watch. Anyone else feel that way?
Old 04-20-16, 06:54 PM
Banned by request

Of course, our eyes have never seen that rate before. It was distracting, but not in a bad way, at least for me. I could see other movies like this utilizing this new rate. I doubt it will again on a high profile movie, but who knows. Guess we'll see if Cameron uses it on Avatar 2-14.
Old 04-21-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

After 10-15 minutes, the hfr looked normal to me. It did make some of the miniatures look more obvious than they should have though.
Old 04-21-16, 02:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I'd love to see some 2D HFR, but I have no desire for 3D HFR again.
Old 04-21-16, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

If they do make any more, I just hope they come up with a way for us to see it at home! Even 30fps would be better than the 24fps we got of the Hobbit movies, which is why I haven't bought them.

I did see the last one at a theater just to see what it looked like, I laughed at most of it as it looked like a BBC production. It certainly looks more realistic but it also brings out the fakeness in things.
Old 04-22-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Much like motion smoothing on HDTVs, I got a very "soap opera-y" vibe when watching The Hobbit. I've got that feature turned off on my HDTV and would probably steer clear of any HFR Blu-Ray released in the future.