Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But... all MCU films are comedies. So not sure I understand the problem with that.
Yeah, that is pretty much true. No stakes at all. Didn't even have the balls to kill Rhodes.
Old 10-30-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

There is no doubt that Black Widow is one of the most interesting characters currently featured in the MCU
Really? I only thought she was popular because of the actress. Not that there's anything wrong with making a vehicle movie for a popular actress, but Black Widow as a character was always a second thought in my mind, even back in my comic book days.
Old 10-30-17, 05:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
No Black Widow movie in any format. Thank you.
Why not? There’s no one forcing you to see it.

After Wonder Woman I’m amazed a BW movie wasn’t fast tracked.
Old 10-30-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

They already have Captain Marvel in the works, so it's not like they were desperate for a female-lead movie.
Old 10-30-17, 06:40 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Jay G.
They already have Captain Marvel in the works, so it's not like they were desperate for a female-lead movie.
Black Widow and Scarlett Johansson are both bigger names than Captain Marvel and whoever is playing Captain Marvel.

Besides, why not have multiple female led films??
Old 10-30-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Black Widow and Scarlett Johansson are both bigger names than Captain Marvel and whoever is playing Captain Marvel.
Academy Award winner Brie Larson.
Old 10-30-17, 07:37 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Clearly I haven’t kept up with the casting news, but I’d still say Scarlet is a bigger name than Brie.
Old 10-30-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Grab a random cross-section of maybe 40 people. Show them a picture of Scarlett Johanson and Brie Larsen and ask them to identify both.

Who do you think is gonna clean up on that one? Maybe if you got the four people who saw Room, I suppose...

Actually, show them Tommy Wiseau and Brie Larson, and Wiseau would probably take it as well.
Old 10-30-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Besides, why not have multiple female led films??
Captain Marvel is a superhero. She has superpowers, which all the leads of the Marvel films have had so far. Black Widow would be a different direction. She actually has more in common with the Marvel TV shows than the MCU films. I think Marvel feels it'd be trickier to release a "Marvel Movie" with a lead that's not a superhero.

And I'm not saying that there can't be both, I was providing an answer for why Marvel didn't "rush" to greenlight Black Widow after Wonder Woman came out. Anyway, do we really want to "rush" the Black Widow film, just to have it out there? It took Patty Jenkins near a decade to get DC onboard with her vision. What Black Widow needs is the right director with the right story and tone to come along and make a movie that seems obvious in retrospect.
Old 10-31-17, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Captain Marvel is a superhero. She has superpowers, which all the leads of the Marvel films have had so far. Black Widow would be a different direction. She actually has more in common with the Marvel TV shows than the MCU films. I think Marvel feels it'd be trickier to release a "Marvel Movie" with a lead that's not a superhero.

And I'm not saying that there can't be both, I was providing an answer for why Marvel didn't "rush" to greenlight Black Widow after Wonder Woman came out. Anyway, do we really want to "rush" the Black Widow film, just to have it out there? It took Patty Jenkins near a decade to get DC onboard with her vision. What Black Widow needs is the right director with the right story and tone to come along and make a movie that seems obvious in retrospect.
My wife recently discovered Captain Marvel when she was looking for a superhero model that she could expose elementary age kids to (she works tech support at an elementary school whose theme this year is being a superhero). We watched a few Avengers Earth Mightiest, and she bought a Rosie the Riveter We Can Do It style T-shirt with Captain Marvel on it. So she is extremely excited that there is a Captain Marvel film coming out down the line.
Old 10-31-17, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Ever since the first Avengers movie, I've been wanting to see a solo Black Widow movie starring Johansson. So I'm down for this. LUCY made a great place-holder in the meantime.
Old 10-31-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Ever since the first Avengers movie, I've been wanting to see a solo Black Widow movie starring Johansson. So I'm down for this. LUCY made a great place-holder in the meantime.
Atomic Blonde was pretty good too, and Red Sparrow looks interesting (and actually sounds similar to the Black Widow backstory).

Edit: Actually, all those movies mentioned are R-rated features, so it'd be interesting if Marvel would go for an R-rated Black Widow movie.
Old 10-31-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Red Sparrow does look like a Black Widow movie, just you know, with Mys-cast Mystique instead of Black Widow.

(And it turns out the more Lawrence looks like Emily Browning, the hotter she is.)
Old 10-31-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I wonder if the fiasco with the Ghost in the Shell has anything to do with the studio not wanting to launch a solo blackwidow film?
Old 10-31-17, 10:15 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Lucy looked to me like the feature length version of the hallways scene in Iron Man 2, and honestly after BW being highlighted in IM2 I assumed they were setting it up for her own movie.
Old 10-31-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I wonder if the fiasco with the Ghost in the Shell has anything to do with the studio not wanting to launch a solo blackwidow film?
Unlikely. The bigger issue with GitS was the trailer and ads did nothing to sell the concept of the movie, it was literally just "Check out ScarJo in SlowMo! In Japanified CG landscapes!".
Old 10-31-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Very true. Not enough will see this either if made. She is a secondary character at best.
Old 10-31-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Very true. Not enough will see this either if made. She is a secondary character at best.
I feel you're just threadcrapping here. If you have zero interest in a film featuring this character, what are you doing in a news and rumors thread for it?
Old 10-31-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Damn, dude. You drop in on the Justice League posts like every week and half to two weeks to say how much it's gonna suck. No one gives you shit for that, and... no one is forcing you to see JL.

let d2cheer have his opinion.
Old 10-31-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I feel you're just threadcrapping here. If you have zero interest in a film featuring this character, what are you doing in a news and rumors thread for it?
He can't have an opinion? Even POTENTIAL Marvel films are exempt from criticism and lack of interest? Jesus dude, people come into the DCEU posts all day every day and shit in them and no one says a goddamn thing. We all are told to just take the shitting as "valid criticisms proved by poor reviews." But hey, we take the shitting posts anyway...we're not driving the shitters out like a bunch of bitchy fanboys. The shitters are allowed to shit all they want.
Old 10-31-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He can't have an opinion?
Not if the opinion is that any film starring this character is going to not be worth seeing.

To contrast this with Justice League, most of the points of contention are on aspects of casting, directing, WB's overall strategy, marketing, etc. Even the nitpicking of the posters are based on an actual poster, and not just hypotheticals. If someone was like "any Justice League movie is going to suck," then I'd question their participation in that thread as well.

As an example, there's currently a thread on Pet Sematary -- remake (D: Kolsch & Widmyer) on the first page of this forum. I have zero interest in seeing that movie. However, because almost nothing would change my mind, I've opted to simply never open and read that thread, let alone post in it. Let the people who have an interest in the film discuss it.

Also, this is entirely different from review threads, where opposing opinions are welcome, provided you've actually seen the movie.
Old 10-31-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not if the opinion is that any film starring this character is going to not be worth seeing.

To contrast this with Justice League, most of the points of contention are on aspects of casting, directing, WB's overall strategy, marketing, etc. Even the nitpicking of the posters are based on an actual poster, and not just hypotheticals. If someone was like "any Justice League movie is going to suck," then I'd question their participation in that thread as well.

As an example, there's currently a thread on Pet Sematary -- remake (D: Kolsch & Widmyer) on the first page of this forum. I have zero interest in seeing that movie. However, because almost nothing would change my mind, I've opted to simply never open and read that thread, let alone post in it. Let the people who have an interest in the film discuss it.

Also, this is entirely different from review threads, where opposing opinions are welcome, provided you've actually seen the movie.

Oh please. It's still a conversation and people can drop their opinions or thoughts..yes...even on films that haven't come out and films they DON'T want to see. The latter is as valid as any "I can't wait for this!" posts. This "You can't post this or that in a particular type of thread is bullshit.
Old 11-01-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh for Fucks Sake...

That might be sig worthy.
Old 11-01-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He can't have an opinion? Even POTENTIAL Marvel films are exempt from criticism and lack of interest? Jesus dude, people come into the DCEU posts all day every day and shit in them and no one says a goddamn thing. We all are told to just take the shitting as "valid criticisms proved by poor reviews." But hey, we take the shitting posts anyway...we're not driving the shitters out like a bunch of bitchy fanboys. The shitters are allowed to shit all they want.
Old 11-01-17, 12:07 PM
Banned by request

Damn, dude. You drop in on the Justice League posts like every week and half to two weeks to say how much it's gonna suck. No one gives you shit for that, and... no one is forcing you to see JL.

let d2cheer have his opinion.
It is going to suck and I won’t see it, but I wasn’t trying to crap on d2cheer. Just my honest response.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.