Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

A sort of update:

http://deadline.com/2016/05/kevin-fe...er-1201750467/

DEADLINE: You’ve got a bunch of characters in this movie from Falcon and War Machine and Black Widow and Hawkeye, who have so far guest starred in movies with another characters title above the fold. Is there one destined to get a solo movie down the line?

FEIGE: We’ve announced the next nine movies, 10 counting Civil War, through the end of 2019. Where we go beyond that are ongoing discussions that we’ll focus on in the next few years because we have a lot to do before then. Of the characters that you’ve just mentioned I would say certainly the one creatively and emotionally that we are most committing to doing is Black Widow.

DEADLINE: Why?

FEIGE: We think she’s an amazing character. We think Scarlett Johansson’s portrayal of her is amazing. She’s a lead Avenger and has amazing stories in her own right to tell that we think would be fun to turn into a stand-alone franchise.
Old 05-07-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I just want to see more Scarlett
Old 05-07-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

The MCU movies I want to see most are Black Widow, Spider-Man, Captain America 4 (a true Cap-centric movie), Iron Man 4, Black Panther, and Ant-Man 2.

CA4, IM4, and BW are not going to happen any time soon, and CA4 and IM4 may not happen at all. That would suck since Civil War isn't really a Captain America movie, and IM3 was a bit of a disappointment.

But I am definitely all in with a BW movie.
Old 05-07-16, 07:23 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I just want to see more Scarlett
Both of them -- johansson and the witch. Throw in Sharon carter and Agent Hill as well
Old 05-07-16, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
As long as it's not two hours of her whining how she's a monster since she can't get pregnant, I'm interested.
That was a fairly brief scene in Age of Ultron. Not sure why it seems to bother some people so much. I'm definitely down for a solo Black Widow film. Scarlett Johansson can definitely bring it on her own as a leading action star so as long as there's a good story I see no reason not to do it. It should have happened or have been part of Phase III really in my opinion given that she's been around for a while.
Old 05-07-16, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
Both of them -- johansson and the witch. Throw in Sharon carter and Agent Hill as well
Super heroine pillow fight?
Old 05-07-16, 09:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

opening shot has to be her laying on her side on the bed facing away from the camera wearing Avengers panties.
Old 05-07-16, 09:14 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
opening shot has to be her laying on her side on the bed facing away from the camera wearing Avengers panties.
Spiderman underoos
Old 05-07-16, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
She has been known to sleep in the nude.
Old 07-26-16, 09:30 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is slowly starting to get a little more diverse, thanks to the addition of Black Panther and Captain Marvel movies to the MCU lineup. With Marvel confirming at San Diego Comic-Con yesterday that Brie Larson will be playing Carol Danvers in the upcoming Captain Marvel solo movie, the MCU will finally see a female character in a lead role instead of a supporting one.

While that is good news for diversity in comic book movies, it may come as a bitter pill to fans who have been hoping that Black Widow would be the first female superhero to have her own standalone Marvel movie. The possibility of a Black Widow solo movie has been the topic of much discussion since Scarlett Johansson first appeared in the role in Iron Man 2, but so far no such movie has yet been announced. If it were, though, there is at least one person who would be interested in directing it.

That person is Joss Whedon, who previously directed Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron for Marvel. While he stepped out of the director’s chair after Age of Ultron, that does not mean he would be unwilling to return to the role. While speaking to IGN at San Diego Comic-Con, Whedon was asked if he had any interest in directing a Black widow movie. Whedon said he would definitely be up for the job:

“If somebody pointed to me and said, ‘You want to make a Black Widow movie?’ the answer would be ‘Duh.’ For two reasons: I think that character really is very interesting and very earthbound and so it’s the kind of action that I got to do less of with somebody like Thor or The Vision. When you get into your Superman territory it’s harder to maintain that sort of gritty action that the Russo brothers do so beautifully. And she’s got that kind of thing… and really do a spy thriller, really do a good, paranoid sort of John LeCarré on crack sort of thing. Also, Scarlett Johansson is just delightful. She works really hard, but she just spends most of her time cracking me up, so it would be a fun shoot.”
http://screenrant.com/joss-whedon-bl...vie-directing/

Just give him $50-75mil and let him go off and make what he wants.
Old 07-26-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't get it. If Marvel is worried about how a female-centered superhero movie will do, Black Widow sure seems less risky than Captain Marvel. We already know and like the character.
Old 07-26-16, 09:57 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

yeah, but Captain Marvel has super powers which translates well on the big screen.

Black Widow would be a smaller, more reality based espionage-type movie I would suspect. A bit more of a risk.
Old 07-26-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

IDK, if something like Lucy can make what it did, mainly based on Johansson's star power, I think Black Widow isn't that risky, esp if you cap the budget.
Old 07-26-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
yeah, but Captain Marvel has super powers which translates well on the big screen.

Black Widow would be a smaller, more reality based espionage-type movie I would suspect. A bit more of a risk.
but they could do much more practical effects, with less CGI and probably bring the budget down quite a bit. lower budget = less risk.
Old 07-26-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

This, though I want the latter. Would it be too big of a departure from the Marvel formula to bring us what would essentially be a better version of the early days of Agents of SHIELD?
Old 07-26-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
IDK, if something like Lucy can make what it did, mainly based on Johansson's star power, I think Black Widow isn't that risky, esp if you cap the budget.
Agreed. I don't get their hesitation on pulling the trigger on this. She's easily one of the most popular characters in the franchise.

I'd be all for a Whedon flick.
Old 10-30-17, 12:10 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Any interesting thought....

For Taika Waititi, something about Thor: Ragnarok just made sense. The character’s humor in all his previous appearance almost screamed for a director with his unique comedic skills to come on board the franchise. But did Waititi, who’d previously directed What We Do In the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople, ever consider other Marvel characters his brand of humor might fit with?

“In all honesty, I reckon I could probably bring something pretty unique to any of the franchises,” Waititi told me. “So I’d love to see Black Widow.”

Whaaaaaat?

“[I’d like to see] Black Widow as something crazy and a bit funnier than we expect it to be,” he continued. “Because we know her story and it’s very sullen and very dark and her history is very dark. But! What’s the funny version of that? What’s the more entertaining version of that?”

If Waititi had said Hawkeye, that would make sense. Vision and Wanda? Sure. War Machine? of course. Falcon? One million percent. But Black Widow? A comedy version of her story is so fundamentally opposed to the character’s downtrodden history, well, it almost makes it the one not-obvious choice. And Waititi is all about not making the obvious choice.

“I really go for the underdog,” he explains. “[And] I think there’s a way in with any of the characters. You just have to find it and find what honors what’s already there with the source material but also brings it into a more entertaining form for the audience.”

It’s important to remember that while this is a fun hypothetical, the odds of Waititi actually making a Black Widow movie seem pretty slim. It feels almost too crazy for even Marvel to attempt. But that doesn’t make it impossible. He has expressed interest in doing another Marvel movie. Thor: Ragnarok is the third film in a franchise and the only Marvel franchise to yet get a fourth film so far is The Avengers. So Thor 4 seems unlikely, at least for a while. Maybe, just maybe, this could be something that happens in the future.

We’ll have more from our interview with Waititi soon.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/thor-ragnaro...a-m-1819877067
Old 10-30-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'd buy THAT for a dollar!
Old 10-30-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I can't wait to see...the movie playing in the next auditorium to this when it comes out.
Old 10-30-17, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I can't wait to see...the movie playing in the next auditorium to this when it comes out.
For the sake of muffled music and shaking walls?
Old 10-30-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
For the sake of muffled music and shaking walls?
I'll take that over a Black Widow solo film any day...
Old 10-30-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Meh. If it were a Waititi directed movie with Scarlett I'd be watching it regardless of subject matter.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-30-17 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-30-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Black Widow movie? Absolutely.
Black Widow more as a comedy? No thanks.
Old 10-30-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Black Widow movie? Absolutely.
Black Widow more as a comedy? No thanks.
But... all MCU films are comedies. So not sure I understand the problem with that.
Old 10-30-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

No Black Widow movie in any format. Thank you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.