Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Old 07-09-20, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 221 Posts
re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I think we're "debating" it because those of us who haven't read the source material would like some clarification to the more superhuman aspects of Captain America's physical abilities.
I haven't read the comics, but here's my take.

When we think of new characters taking on the "mantle" of particular superhero name, we often expect them to have very similar abilities. If you're going to be called "Spider-Man," you best have some web-slinging abilities (whether biological or via a nifty gizmo), super-human strength and reflexes, "spidey-sense," etc. A new Iron-Man better have a metal suit, a new Thor better have a hammer and able to harness lightning, etc.

However, this isn't always the case. There's been new Batmans, and since there's no specific abilities aside from the "toys," pretty much any person could take up the mantle. However, there's also been instances where maybe the abilities came from a different source, or were expressed differently. Take Steel in DC, created as part of the "Death of Superman" arc that recreated the "spirit" of Superman, and some of the abilities via a suit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_...e_Man_of_Steel

There's also instances like Thor or Green Lantern, where the passing of the mantle has often included transferring of the abilities, via a totem.

For Captain America, yes, Steve Roger's version was one of serum-supplied superhuman strength and abilities, but the name "Captain America" doesn't directly tie to any abilities or specific superhuman characteristics, per se. So passing of that mantle may depend more on the "spirit" of the new carrier than on their specific abilities. Falcon has a winged super suit. He can still use that winged super suit as Captain America (a quick search shows he does do just that in at least some comics). So the new Captain America will have super powers, but they'll come from his suit instead of from a serum.

I do think the upcoming show The Falcon and the Winter Soldier will clarify this situation some more. There's a reason it's not called "Captain America and the Winter Soldier." I think it will be about Sam Wilson and his path to accepting the mantle of Captain America.

Trying to get back on topic, while Yelena may be getting introduced to "replace" Natasha going forward, I'm not convinced Yelena will even be called "Black Widow" in the MCU. How often did Natasha's "codename" even come up in the movies?

Last edited by Jay G.; 07-12-20 at 04:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Received 268 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post

When we think of new characters taking on the "mantle" of particular superhero name, we often expect them to have very similar abilities. If you're going to be called "Spider-Man," you best have some web-slinging abilities (whether biological on via a nifty gizmo), super-human strength and reflexes, "spidey-sense," etc. A new Iron-Man better have a metal suit, a new Thor better have a hammer and able to harness lightning, etc.

However, this isn't always the case. There's been new Batmans, and since there's no specific abilities aside from the "toys," pretty much any person could take up the mantle. However, there's also been instances where maybe the abilities came from a different source, or were expressed differently. Take Steel in DC, created as part of the "Death of Superman" arc that recreated the "spirit" of Superman, and some of the abilities via a suit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_...e_Man_of_Steel

There's also instances like Thor or Green Lantern, where the passing of the mantle has often included transferring of the abilities, via a totem.

For Captain America, yes, Steve Roger's version was one of serum-supplied superhuman strength and abilities, but the name "Captain America" doesn't directly tie to any abilities or specific superhuman characteristics, per say. So passing of that mantle may depend more on the "spirit" of the new carrier than on their specific abilities. Falcon has a winged super suit. He can still use that winged super suit as Captain America (a quick search shows he does do just that in at least some comics). So the new Captain America will have super powers, but they'll come from his suit instead of from a serum.

I do think the upcoming show The Falcon and the Winter Soldier will clarify this situation some more. There's a reason it's not called "Captain America and the Winter Soldier." I think it will be about Sam Wilson and his path to accepting the mantle of Captain America.

Trying to get back on topic, while Yelena may be getting introduced to "replace" Natasha going forward, I'm not convinced Yelena will even be called "Black Widow" in the MCU. How often did Natasha's "codename" even come up in the movies?
Thank you for using the correct term, "Batmans", instead of the foolish "Batmen" . Also, I think in the Ultimate comics there was a "Red Widow" (who was Nick Fury's ex-wife, if I recall correctly?). So that's a possible codename, but yeah, the MCU doesn't love aliases.
Old 07-09-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

One reason I could see why Sam was chosen was because Cap noticed Falcon's internal leadership that he had shown with the troops who had PTSD in Winter Soldier. This may have been something new to Rogers as he carried this tactic (In honor of Sam) to Endgame with those group therapy sessions.
IBJoel (07-10-20)
Old 07-09-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 487 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
One reason I could see why Sam was chosen was because Cap noticed Falcon's internal leadership that he had shown with the troops who had PTSD in Winter Soldier. This may have been something new to Rogers as he carried this tactic (In honor of Sam) to Endgame with those group therapy sessions.
I think Captain America staying in the military world is a good thing. The Winter Soldier taking over was an obvious choice, but even he knows that his mind is so fucked up that he couldn't do it. Sam was a great choice for the movies and it happened to tie into the comics too. I even noticed that he started doing more "shield" stuff in Civil War (using his wings) which was obviously inspired by continuing to work with Captain America.
Old 07-09-20, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't think it was ever mentioned in Iron Man 2. The general who had her tied to a chair in The Avengers called her Black Widow. I think it was mentioned during the end of Winter Soldier when she was in the media and at congressional hearings. That's about it.

And on Agents of SHIELD, one of the Koening's was talking to Daisy and said people online were shipping Quake and Black WIdow. They referred to the couple as "Quack."
Old 07-12-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Thank you for the explanation, it helps a lot.
Old 09-15-20, 01:44 PM

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Delayed again:
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/b...FB6-N1AGsmBNas
Old 09-15-20, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,249 Likes on 922 Posts

Not a surprise but a bummer. The theatres are going to be light on new releases for the rest of the year.
Old 09-16-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 164 Posts

Does the fact that this was pushed back again instead of being pushed to Disney+ indicate that maybe Disney isn't as happy with the buy rates for Mulan as they're saying that they are publicly?
IBJoel (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

The postponement is still not official. The studio hasn't said anything yet. Only Variety is saying it may move.

and Disney hasn't released any information on sales from Mulan.
Old 09-16-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 164 Posts

Of course they haven't released any numbers, and I don't expect them to, but they did indicate that they were "very pleased".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...elease-numbers
Old 09-16-20, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 863 Likes on 628 Posts

I suspect that most studios are going to sit on their films until there is a COVID-19 vaccine, and the infection rates start dropping to almost nothing.

Or in the unlikely event that the virus miraculously goes away on its own.
Old 09-16-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Should just dump this in theaters at the end of November around Thanksgiving. That way if it didn't meet expectations, they could blame Covid for the disappointing box office performance. Even in normal times, I felt this one was going to be a tough sale. Her and Hawkeye come off too much like second bananas in the MCU.
Probably should of been a Disney+ project all along.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 09-18-20 at 01:53 PM.
IBJoel (09-24-20)
Old 09-18-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I suspect that most studios are going to sit on their films until there is a COVID-19 vaccine, and the infection rates start dropping to almost nothing.

Or in the unlikely event that the virus miraculously goes away on its own.
Could be looking at years for that to happen.
Old 09-18-20, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns View Post
Should just dump this in theaters at the end of November around Thanksgiving. That way if it didn't meet expectations, they could blame Covid for the disappointing box office performance. Even in a normal times, I felt this one was going to be a tough sale. Her and Hawkeye come off too much like second bananas in the MCU.
Probably should of been a Disney+ project all along.
Yeah I agree with this.
Old 09-18-20, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Could be looking at years for that to happen.
True, but I don't know what they can do.

They can't keep spending $200M+ to make movies that gross $30M playing in nearly empty theaters.

I have no doubt that a lot of people would be willing to go to a theater to see a movie, but there are also a lot that aren't comfortable with that, too. If it's 50-50, then they're leaving half of the potential grosses on the table until the bug goes away.
Old 09-18-20, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 446 Likes on 352 Posts

Expect Disney+ to factor in this one way or another. Based on current estimates, they brought in 9 million who paid for Mulan in the first 9 days. At $30 a pop, they brought in $270 million. And people are still purchasing it.

Black Widow has the MCU audience built in which almost always makes more than any Disney movie. So expect Disney+ to play it safe and probably release this like Mulan, and perhaps a limited release in theaters. That is if the coronavirus doesn't decimate more of the population. I'm fine sitting at home and being safe and still able to watch it in 4k with Dolby Atmos.
Old 09-23-20, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts

New release date: May, 7 2021
https://deadline.com/2020/09/black-w...al-1234582771/
Old 09-23-20, 01:08 PM

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Damn...
Old 09-23-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 561 Likes on 457 Posts
Re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

No shock at all. I kind of wish they would just quit throwing dates around. Just delay films indefinitely or figure something else out. We probably won’t be out of the woods with this situation for a long time.
IBJoel (09-24-20)
Old 09-23-20, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
No shock at all. I kind of wish they would just quit throwing dates around. Just delay films indefinitely or figure something else out. We probably won’t be out of the woods with this situation for a long time.
Will there even be any theaters left by May for this to open?
Old 09-23-20, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Shit, 6 month delay. Wow. So Disney is basically delaying it about a year from when it was originally supposed to come out.
Old 09-23-20, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 298 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
No shock at all. I kind of wish they would just quit throwing dates around. Just delay films indefinitely or figure something else out.
I think they need dates for accounting and other business purposes. It helps the marketing and distribution departments to plan out the release, even if it eventually gets release. I know I always prefer the projects at work where they're planned out in advance, even if delayed, rather than the ones that are "we just decided to do this and want it done yesterday."
IBJoel (09-24-20)
Old 09-23-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think they need dates for accounting and other business purposes. It helps the marketing and distribution departments to plan out the release, even if it eventually gets release. I know I always prefer the projects at work where they're planned out in advance, even if delayed, rather than the ones that are "we just decided to do this and want it done yesterday."
Could also be that they're claiming release dates they think will be lucrative.
Jay G. (09-23-20)
Old 09-23-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

After the MCU being so constant in our lives for more than a decade, nearly two years between Spider-Man and Black Widow is a blow. Took my son to pretty much every MCU movie from Iron Man (he was 4!) to now. Still, we’ll be there when they return.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.