Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Old 03-12-20, 12:05 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) - S: Scarlett Johansson - News and Rumors

Originally Posted by dex14
Disney has too many movies to release to change their schedule. If they don't postpone Mulan, I doubt they postpone anything else. Though, if it does extremely poorly, they could reconsider. Bond was moved because if they tanked MGM would've been out of business.
How much a few days can change things. I never expected this many major movies to shift. I'm guessing this will move now too. Especially because Marvel only has two movies on the slate this year. But again, Disney has SO many movies to release this year under multiple banners, moving them all would be an insane feat.

Last edited by dex14; 03-17-20 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-17-20, 12:18 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Postponed: https://variety.com/2020/film/box-of...us-1203532996/
Old 03-17-20, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I think we all knew this shoe was dropping. I fully expect Wonder Woman to go next. With all of these Disney films I do think at least one of the big ones (not this one) ends up trying to drive Disney+ subscriptions.
Old 03-17-20, 09:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Wtf? What are we gonna see this summer???? Fuck!!!
Old 03-17-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Wtf? What are we gonna see this summer???? Fuck!!!
Probably nothing. If this outbreak doesn't end in the next month or so, the whole summer movie schedule could be cancelled.

Movie theatres everywhere are closed 6-12 weeks or longer.

The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 10:26 PM

Holy shit. I didn’t even think of them closing. Makes sense though. No showings in my area and one theater lists earliest of 4/17. You know with all the good shit on tv and made for streaming movies and shows and my endless backlog of blus, this is probably good thing in a way. I still have 26 minutes left of last episode of The Mandalorian. Don’t know why I cut it off, but did awhile back and have yet to get back to. Plus, the games. It might be nice not to schedule movie times and then buying them in 3 months or so on digital or physical. Might be a nice break. But not the way I would have ever intended...
Old 03-18-20, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Put it on Disney+, where a prequel to the Black Widow story should've been from the start.
Old 03-18-20, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Put it on Disney+, where a prequel to the Black Widow story should've been from the start.
They will sit on it. No chance they put a $100-150M movie with at least $50M in marketing sunk into it and practically give it away for free.
Old 03-18-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
They will sit on it. No chance they put a $100-150M movie with at least $50M in marketing sunk into it and practically give it away for free.

Old 03-18-20, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

By the time this shows up in theaters people will be so starved for the MCU it will make a shit-ton of money.
Old 03-19-20, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
You know with all the good shit on tv and made for streaming movies and shows and my endless backlog of blus, this is probably good thing in a way.
Not good for those who rely on a monthly income from working at said theaters.
Old 03-19-20, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Not good for those who rely on a monthly income from working at said theaters.
dude, I wasn’t talking bout all the people who are going to be out of work, not just theaters, but so many other industries. The economic toll will be devastating for all for years to come. I’m heartbroken for them. For all, losing income, lives. Nothing to do with that at all. Just better so I can watch stuff in my backlog. That’s all.
Old 07-07-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Damn! Amazed I had to go back 11 pages to find this thread.

What isn't surprising is that, as the promotional push for this ramps back up, the filmmakers are openly signaling that the film is designed as a baton pass from Scar Jo's Natasha to Pugh's Yelena who will take over the BW franchise (if there is one after this).

The little I've seen Pugh in shows me she's attractive and a more than capable actress- but I wonder just how much she'll warm over the general audiences.

FWIW I love seeing commanding, ass-kicking women on screen- especially while doing cosplay. I'd love to see more solo movies in this particular side neighborhood of the MCU. I think there's a lot of potential to deliver some solid, non cosmic end-of-the-universe stories that would serve as a nice counter-point to the more fantastical stuff in the other franchises. To strain the analogy, a BW franchise would be the proper venue for From Russia With Love type material, while everything else gets the gadget laden Goldfinger and bustling Volcano lair You Only Live Twice treatment.

One positive is that she wouldn't be plugged into role in an existing team that already had it's chemistry and dynamics in people's heads. Rather they could spin her off into something like a Champion's B-lister's franchise with no worries about dragging down an already successful entity.

I made the case earlier for wanting to see more lower cost, plot driven, spy/thriller stories and this would of course be the perfect venue for that.
I still haven't seen Little Women, so I just hope Pugh is a warm, or at least charismatic enough presence to have other people wanting that as well.

I'd be just fine if she were the Timothy Dalton of the BW franchise- as long as she at least got the opportunity for a few more films.
Old 07-07-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Yeah I was reading about that. It’s a gamble if you ask me. I mean essentially introducing a character in one film and expecting audiences to accept them essentially as a Black Widow replacement is something I’m not too sure about.

Just seems risky having her introduced and then quickly filling a role. Hopefully audiences and the fanbase warm up to her right away.

You take a character like Falcon on the other hand being the new Captain America and it’s a different story entirely. He was introduced way back in The Winter Soldier, and has had numerous appearances since to gain a fanbase and give people time to accept him.
Old 07-07-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't anticipate a formal " You're the new Averger's BW now" scene. If this is a prequel to Endgame, it is essentially functioning as the Winter Soldier style introduction for Flacon did.

And who knows what other opportunities Pugh will have to cameo in other post Endgame MCU content before any follow up BW sequel were greenlit.

Even if she (Pugh) does come off a little too cold in this one, a subsequent cameo in something else could change that perception radically depending on her(character's) effectiveness in that film's story.
Old 07-07-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I think what makes Falcon work and easy to accept is the friendship/rapport Steve and Sam had with one another. That was built over more than just one film.

We aren’t going to get that with Natasha and Yelena beyond one their one film together. They can still build Yelena up gradually, but it’ll be different. Like I say hopefully it’s someone people will like and will eventually accept as a new Black Widow.
Old 07-07-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think what makes Falcon work and easy to accept is the friendship/rapport Steve and Sam had with one another. That was built over more than just one film.

We aren’t going to get that with Natasha and Yelena beyond one their one film together. They can still build Yelena up gradually, but it’ll be different. Like I say hopefully it’s someone people will like and will eventually accept as a new Black Widow.
I have a problem with accepting Falcon as the new Cap, for the simple reason he has not been injected with the Super Soldier serum. If you remember at the beginning of Winter Soldier, Steve is running circles around him. It would 've made more sense to pass the shield and costume on to the Winter Soldier.
Old 07-07-20, 07:42 PM

Yeah, I don’t understand that either. Just cause he has the shield he is new cap? Falcon goes away? The serum and pure of heart or whatever is needed to wield Thor’s hammer is what made Steve CA. Sam is another hero, but normal human. I don’t get it. Did he get injected or something in comics?
Old 07-07-20, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Eh, Falcon has always been a weak character in the MCU films. Winter Soldier should be the rightful heir to Captain America.

As far as Yelena goes, well, I'm just happy that Florence's career has just shot up to the stratosphere. I think she's a great actress.
Old 07-08-20, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

The serum ain't what makes someone Captain America (or lets them lift Mjolnir), friends.

On the other hand, I find Winter Soldier incredibly boring and the main reason I don't like Civil War is that the crux ends up being Bucky and Cap's friendship. I find Bucky very one-note, whereas Sam is immediately established in personality in Winter Soldier. I'm sure both characters will get a lot more development in the mini-series, though.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Jay G. (07-09-20), Wolf359 (07-09-20)
Old 07-08-20, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
The serum ain't what makes someone Captain America (or lets them lift Mjolnir), friends.

On the other hand, I find Winter Soldier incredibly boring and the main reason I don't like Civil War is that the crux ends up being Bucky and Cap's friendship. I find Bucky very one-note, whereas Sam is immediately established in personality in Winter Soldier. I'm sure both characters will get a lot more development in the mini-series, though.
In the cinematic universe, the serum/super soldier process endowed him with golden age Superman levels of strength. In Civil War, he was able to rip through Tony's armor. Cap is even stronger than Spider-Man. Sam minus the wings, is just another random costume vigilante. Even Ant Man got the upper hand battling him.

If they were really serious about setting him up to be the next Cap, they did a piss poor job of showing he was ready for a promotion. Come to think about it, he is probably the weakest Avenger.

​​​​

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 07-08-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
In the cinematic universe, the serum/super soldier process endowed him with golden age Superman levels of strength. In Civil War, he was able to rip through Tony's armor. Cap is even stronger than Spider-Man. Sam minus the wings, is just another random costume vigilante. Even Ant Man got the upper hand battling him.

If they were really serious about setting him up to be the next Cap, they did a piss poor job of showing he was ready for a promotion. Come to think about it, he is probably the weakest Avenger.

​​​​
You missed the point of my post entirely
Jay G. (07-09-20)
Old 07-08-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

If Rogers wouldn't have gotten the serum, he would have been Captain America in name only, not abilities. The question most of us have is: how is Falcon going to be able to perform the duties that Captain America has done? Being a great man doesn't make you powerful. Being powerful is kind of important when it comes to taking down an elevator full of bad guys.
Old 07-08-20, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mndtrp
If Rogers wouldn't have gotten the serum, he would have been Captain America in name only, not abilities. The question most of us have is: how is Falcon going to be able to perform the duties that Captain America has done? Being a great man doesn't make you powerful. Being powerful is kind of important when it comes to taking down an elevator full of bad guys.
Because Captain America's defining traits, serum or no, are his doggedness, leadership, and tactical/strategic brilliance. The serum is a cool part of Steve Rogers' backstory. It's not what gives him value to the team. Sam is a different kind of character than Steve. You tell different stories based on the character. And let's be honest, it's not like they have a problem showing regular humans doing superhuman feats. Black Widow herself has no known superhuman biology, nor Hawkeye. They should have been dead 20x over.

Frankly I don't know why we're debating this, because for all we know, he could get the serum in the show and this would be a moot point. Although I think it'd be an interesting storyline for them to delve into Sam's feelings on not just living up to the mantle in strength of character, but physically, as well.
Jay G. (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Because Captain America's defining traits, serum or no, are his doggedness, leadership, and tactical/strategic brilliance. The serum is a cool part of Steve Rogers' backstory. It's not what gives him value to the team. Sam is a different kind of character than Steve. You tell different stories based on the character. And let's be honest, it's not like they have a problem showing regular humans doing superhuman feats. Black Widow herself has no known superhuman biology, nor Hawkeye. They should have been dead 20x over.

Frankly I don't know why we're debating this, because for all we know, he could get the serum in the show and this would be a moot point. Although I think it'd be an interesting storyline for them to delve into Sam's feelings on not just living up to the mantle in strength of character, but physically, as well.
I think we're "debating" it because those of us who haven't read the source material would like some clarification to the more superhuman aspects of Captain America's physical abilities. So far, the only answer I see from people is that Captain America isn't Captain America because of his physical abilities. I agree with that, to an extent. The serum plays an important role in what CA has done, beyond his mental and emotional abilities. Since the comics have delved into people other than Rogers taking up the CA mantle, we assume that this has been covered, and can be a basis for what happens in the movies. If the answer is simply "we don't know" then just go with that instead of dodging the physicality aspect of the questions. BW and Hawkeye haven't done things on the same level as CA.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.