Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When you go to the movies, do you stay and watch the credits?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: When you go to the movies, do you stay and watch the credits?
I always stay and watch the credits.
30.00%
Only if I know there is a scene after the credits.
56.67%
If I like the song playing during the credits.
0%
If I need to check the credits to see who played a certain part.
1.67%
I never stay for the credits.
5.00%
Other.
6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

When you go to the movies, do you stay and watch the credits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: When you go to the movies, do you stay and watch the credits?

When I was single, I used to stay until the clean-up crew gave me dirty looks. These days, either I'm bailing after the major credits to offload the gallon of sugar water I ingested over 2 hours, or the mad dash to pick up the kids. Besides, there are so many names listed on end credits now, that it seems a pointless effort. Exceptions are really cool scores,and Marvel films.
Old 04-03-16, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
Sorry about that. Obviously I missed that thread.
I guess you didn't stick around long enough.
Old 04-03-16, 06:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
They're part of the movie- no reason not to stay for them. (How does anyone "know" if there's a scene afterwards if nobody else watched all the way to the end before? Besides, I like to be surprised when there is a scene afterwards, not find out in advance.) The ones I really read are the cast, sound people and music credits- that's how I know who's written many songs. (Of course I read the liner notes in CDs also.) I didn't see Transformers til a few years after it was out, but I saw that someone I knew in high school was one of the modelmakers- I knew he'd wanted to do special effects but didn't know he was working on big movies til I saw that. Looked him up on IMDB and saw he'd done a few other movies which he didn't get screen credit for, or his name was buried in.

When I worked at Tower Records I took an order from Kathy Nelson- everyone should know who that is!

What I'd like to know is who was the first person who decided it was OK to leave during end credits? Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw that had long end credits, and my dad was ready to leave but I didn't want to and I didn't understand why other people were leaving. I wanted to hear the music and look at the stars at least!
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Nope. Unless there's an after credits scene. Life's too short to sit there in the dark longer than I have to. I have an app called "After Credits" that lets me know if I'll have to waste my time or not after the show.
Again... fuck that mentality that I need to stay for the credits cuz they're part of the movie. Very rarely are the credits part of the world tone set in a film. You can stay for them all you want. That's your right. But there's no need for it if you're actively only there for the meat of the film. Meat as in... the structured world given by the film.

Example. I was going to stay through the end credits of Deadpool anyway cuz I knew there was going to be something there. But I was happy that there was something there for part of the credits itself. Otherwise.... I don't give a fuck about the one korean guy that did that compositing job. Their identities don't matter to me. I paid. That's my congratulation to their success or continued failure.

Again... very rarely now is the end credits part of the movie tone. Otherwise.. they're just a list of people w/ jobs on a black background w/ a whatever color chosen for the font. But you're welcome to stay through it cuz you did pay for it. So did I. I just don't think it's important to stay through it. The credits matter fuck all compared to the narrative that leads and ends into it coming. There's a difference. Let us not suck on that dick of posterity.
Old 04-03-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Life's too short to sit there in the dark longer than I have to.
You must be quite popular with the ladies.
Old 04-03-16, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Super X
You must be quite popular with the ladies.
They got the fuck they wanted. What else is there? Talk about making a salad? Fuuuuuuuuck you! *vigorously points at Super X* The man got off. She get off. Transaction is done. Unless this is a long term thing... he fucked her and now he has shit to do. He's a busy brown guy.
Old 04-03-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Only if there's something after the credits, and sometimes to look for a particular actor as the cast rolls since that comes up pretty quickly. Other then that, reading a bunch of names where I have no clue who they are nor would I ever remember them offers me no entertainment, nor does it really "honor" their work on the movie anyway by me watching them.
Old 04-03-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I used to stay for the cast, stunt and action choreographer, the song credits, and the locations, but once IMDB got rolling, I realized what a waste of time it was to stay, especially since the credits kept getting longer and longer. Now it's become a total Asperger's/autism thing to stay for the whole credits.
Old 04-03-16, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually only if I want to find the name or performer of a song I've heard during the film. Or if it is known beforehand that there will be a scene or clip afterwards. Or if I'd enjoyed the score and wanted to hear more of it. Or if the person I'm with wants to stay until the end.
Old 04-03-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I miss the days when credits consisted of stars/director/producer/composer superimposed over the *opening scenes* of a film with ending credits consisting of nothing but a simple list of the primary stars which lasted for every bit of 20 seconds *maximum,* if at all, before a "The End" appeared on the screen followed by a fade to black.

I couldn't care less about the rest of the cast/crew, even if I happen to know someone who participated. When it comes down to it, the *only* people who really care are possibly those looking for cast/crew for another film or those whose name appears. And that information is readily available from the original studio. Those looooooooong credits are the result of unions demanding *their* members receive some type of credit on-screen.

I often wonder just how many thousands of dollars could be "saved" in production time/film costs (if not fully digital) if those extra 15-45 minutes were eliminated.
Old 04-03-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Those who leave during the credits, are you also OK with getting to a movie late and missing the beginning? I won't do that either (funny enough the time I saw Star Wars, we got there a couple minutes late and came in when C3PO and R2D2 were getting into the escape pod. After that if we got there after the movie had started, I refused to go in.) Also if a movie gets "boring" in the middle or you decide that it sucks, or you "don't care" how it ends do you leave then? I used to do that with movies at home my parents rented, I'd watch the beginning with them and then bail if I decided it wasn't worth watching. After realizing I'd missed some good movies doing that (they got better eventually, but the beginnings were boring), I stopped giving up on movies and gave every one a chance, all the way through.

It costs SO much to go to the theater nowadays, I don't know why you wouldn't want to see 100% of the movie and even take the chance of missing any post-credits scenes. That's like buying a $30 Blu-Ray and throwing away the slipcover- though I guess some of you do that also

In my theater-working days I also saw people leave large popcorns that hadn't even been eaten halfway. Again, those cost so much it seems a complete waste to do that.

One time I had to REALLY shake my head at people was during the movie "Grand Canyon"- many of the characters in the movie kept wishing that they could see the Grand Canyon, and by the end of the movie they finally do- the last shot is them looking at it and the camera starts flying through the canyon showing it off- but the credit crawl also starts over that, so a bunch of people started leaving then! Hello- the payoff of this movie is seeing the Grand Canyon, and you're walking out because there's credits playing over it? If they had saved the credits til after that shot was done (it eventually fades to black and the credits finish in the typical boring white-on-black style) they likely would've stayed and watched it! Another one I remember is "Mobsters"- it's been a while so I might not remember this accurately, but it seemed to have one scene that froze and faded to black. RIGHT when that happened, a few people started getting up, but then sat down as another scene came on after that and credits were still several minutes away. Why the fuck do people spend money to go to a movie and then feel like leaving as soon as possible, as if being there was the most torturous thing they've suffered through? If the theater does its job properly, you won't even want to leave when the movie IS over- you'll walk slowly out of the theater marveling about how beautiful it is and wanting to come back soon, but there's hardly any theaters like that left now. (At home, I'm usually thinking "Fuck, I've got a great sound system!" when the credits are rolling.)
Old 04-03-16, 02:48 PM

Those looooooooong credits are the result of unions demanding *their* members receive some type of credit on-screen.
What if somebody decided they wanted their movie to end rather quickly and didn't include any end credits- instead just crediting the really important people (like the cast) at the beginning? Would they be able to do that? After movies that have very short or no end credits, I'm still usually wanting at least a few seconds to contemplate the movie.
Old 04-03-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't usually watch them, unless there's a bonus scene in there. Sometimes it's amusing to see a celeb's entourage all credited (their private hairstylist, trainer, chef, personal assistants, etc.).
Old 04-03-16, 03:30 PM
Banned

Those who leave during the credits, are you also OK with getting to a movie late and missing the beginning? I won't do that either (funny enough the time I saw Star Wars, we got there a couple minutes late and came in when C3PO and R2D2 were getting into the escape pod. After that if we got there after the movie had started, I refused to go in.) Also if a movie gets "boring" in the middle or you decide that it sucks, or you "don't care" how it ends do you leave then? I used to do that with movies at home my parents rented, I'd watch the beginning with them and then bail if I decided it wasn't worth watching. After realizing I'd missed some good movies doing that (they got better eventually, but the beginnings were boring), I stopped giving up on movies and gave everyone a chance, all the way through.

It costs SO much to go to the theater nowadays, I don't know why you wouldn't want to see 100% of the movie and even take the chance of missing any post-credits scenes. That's like buying a $30 Blu-Ray and throwing away the slipcover- though I guess some of you do that also

In my theater-working days I also saw people leave large popcorns that hadn't even been eaten halfway. Again, those cost so much it seems a complete waste to do that.

One time I had to REALLY shake my head at people was during the movie "Grand Canyon"- many of the characters in the movie kept wishing that they could see the Grand Canyon, and by the end of the movie they finally do- the last shot is them looking at it and the camera starts flying through the canyon showing it off- but the credit crawl also starts over that, so a bunch of people started leaving then! Hello- the payoff of this movie is seeing the Grand Canyon, and you're walking out because there's credits playing over it? If they had saved the credits til after that shot was done (it eventually fades to black and the credits finish in the typical boring white-on-black style) they likely would've stayed and watched it! Another one I remember is "Mobsters"- it's been a while so I might not remember this accurately, but it seemed to have one scene that froze and faded to black. RIGHT when that happened, a few people started getting up, but then sat down as another scene came on after that and credits were still several minutes away. Why the fuck do people spend money to go to a movie and then feel like leaving as soon as possible, as if being there was the most torturous thing they've suffered through? If the theater does its job properly, you won't even want to leave when the movie IS over- you'll walk slowly out of the theater marveling about how beautiful it is and wanting to come back soon, but there's hardly any theaters like that left now. (At home, I'm usually thinking "Fuck, I've got a great sound system!" when the credits are rolling.)
Losing an actual part of the narrative is totally different than the credits. The credits don't matter to the narrative. They've no context to it. Let us not be ignorant in comparing credits to the actual meat of the film. The credits don't matter really. Get over it. They're there and that's just fine but don't jerk off in our direction that they're important to what really matters. They don't. Rarely do they even have anything of contribution to whatever tone the film had either in existing as an aspect worth a damn. You want to feel like you matter in giving a damn about those people in the credits? You go ahead and do that but they don't matter to the story. Which is what is important, crappy or not.

If you want food and shit.. yes, it's expensive. A standard movie ticket? Not so much at least here. Even IMAX can be "cheap" depending on the time. Don't fucking cry that it's expensive. You want to fat fuck out during the movie.. yeah. sure. it adds up. Just the movie ticket? Not so much. If you're paying for your whole goddamn family? Yeah. It can expensive but the ticket itself and JUST the movie as your goal? Not expensive typically.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-03-16 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-03-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah. Not that the people who work behind the scenes on films don't deserve to receive credit but really it's a whole different story from opening credits or the opening scenes of a film that tie into the actual story of the film. Most of the time in the end credits there's nothing of substance that adds to the film. If you like watching them then whatever but you're fooling yourself if you think you're missing out on seeing who the assistant to so and so was or what catering company was used or whatever.
Old 04-03-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably no use "discussing" this with Smithee, he just doesn't seem to get it. Pretty sure we had the exact same discussion inside a previous movie thread already recently too. Equating the credits with arriving late to the beginning of a movie makes zero sense.
Old 04-03-16, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Probably no use "discussing" this with Smithee, he just doesn't seem to get it. Pretty sure we had the exact same discussion inside a previous movie thread already recently too. Equating the credits with arriving late to the beginning of a movie makes zero sense.
There's probably some point on the autism spectrum that corresponds with compulsive staying-for-the-entire-end-credits. Not to single Alan out, since many of us here are probably on that spectrum somewhere, and mostly undiagnosed, myself included.
Old 04-03-16, 11:13 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I like knowing the types of crews that are shown at the end credits. I usually stay because the traffic and the slow walking audience that leaves the theater isn't worth trying to get around. Plus it's nice hearing the film score.
Old 04-03-16, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Then you guys go to some janky ass movie theaters. If I'm in the middle and there are people to my left and right and they want to sit there then they can but i'm fucking leaving and I'll just walk right over their feet. And like Fight Club - it becomes a question of etiquette: I give them the crotch.
Old 04-04-16, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always stay for the credits unless it was a particularly bad film or I really really need to go somewhere immediately afterwards. I think it is proper respect.
Old 04-04-16, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

As soon as the credits start to roll, pretty much every theater I've been to turns on the lights, lowers the sound, and runs you out of there.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-04-16 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 03:57 AM

There's probably some point on the autism spectrum that corresponds with compulsive staying-for-the-entire-end-credits.
I'll admit part of it is an obsessiveness thing (though I know a lot of other people with Asperger's who don't see anything wrong with leaving during credits), but I just can't understand what anyone has to GAIN by leaving a movie while it's still running. What do you do that's so important that you can't wait just a few more minutes? And speaking of Fight Club, that movie would never be the same without letting "Where Is My Mind?" play out to the end.

Rarely do they even have anything of contribution to whatever tone the film had either in existing as an aspect worth a damn.
GOOD, or at least well-made movies do- at the very least they should close out the movie with just the right music. Usually the music is reason enough to stay for the credits. I doubt the people rushing out during them are going to go buy the soundtrack album. (One reason "Look Who's Talking" is NOT a well-made film: although it ends with Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open The Door" which is a nice happy song to end things on, the song ends BEFORE the end credits finish and at least the last 30 seconds of them play out in SILENCE. When I saw that at the theater I thought someone had turned the sound off early, but that's how it was made. Only really serious or "heavy" movies should have complete silence at the end, never light-hearted comedies!)

Equating the credits with arriving late to the beginning of a movie makes zero sense.
What if the movie has a bunch of credits at the beginning and you arrive during those? I used to not want to miss the previews either, til I figured out those weren't physically part of the movie (except for the "attached trailer" most movies had on Reel 1, which some theaters would still cut and splice other material in between) but I still make sure to get there in time and probably wouldn't buy a ticket if I arrived a minute after starting time. (I've seen people purposely arrive late to miss a lot of the pre-movie stuff, and with the annoying commercials they show now I can't say I blame them for that!)
Old 04-04-16, 04:04 AM

As soon as the credits start to roll, pretty every theater I've been to turns on the lights, lowers the sound, and runs you out of there.
It's debatable whether to have the lights come up during credits. I think they look better with them down, but if they come up just a bit then that gives you time to adjust to going back out into the light. They should never be bright enough to drown out anything on the screen. The theater I worked at the longest actually STOPPED bringing the lights up during credits which was great (some customers actually complained about them coming up at the wrong time so the solution was to just stop doing it), but they made us start doing it again after some idiot fell down while walking out, which they likely would have done anyways under any circumstance. Digital movies now have an exact time listed to program the lights to come up; I guess if anyone insisted their movie play straight through with the lights down til the end they could do that. Most theaters now keep the lights up during the previews also, which is OK since they aren't part of the actual movie but I'd still rather see those with them down.
Old 04-04-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by BenboC
I always stay for the credits unless it was a particularly bad film or I really really need to go somewhere immediately afterwards. I think it is proper respect.
Proper respect? I guess the $13 ticket I just spent my money on isn't proper respect.
Old 04-04-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Since the end credits aren't part of the movie, unless there is an after credits scene, I don't waste my time. The information conveyed in teh credits is available elsewhere, shoudl I choose to look it up, so that makes the end credits useless. I'm surprised that theaters havent yet gone the way of Netflix, and shrinking the credits down and playing some other sort of advertising as the credits roll. Actually make some money, rather than just have useless end credits on the screen.
Old 04-04-16, 11:47 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

they made us start doing it again after some idiot fell down while walking out
What an idiot. Falling down in the dark and all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.