Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When you go to the movies, do you stay and watch the credits?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: When you go to the movies, do you stay and watch the credits?
I always stay and watch the credits.
30.00%
Only if I know there is a scene after the credits.
56.67%
If I like the song playing during the credits.
0%
If I need to check the credits to see who played a certain part.
1.67%
I never stay for the credits.
5.00%
Other.
6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

When you go to the movies, do you stay and watch the credits?

Old 04-04-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: When you go to the movies, do you stay and watch the credits?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
It's debatable whether to have the lights come up during credits. I think they look better with them down, but if they come up just a bit then that gives you time to adjust to going back out into the light. They should never be bright enough to drown out anything on the screen. The theater I worked at the longest actually STOPPED bringing the lights up during credits which was great (some customers actually complained about them coming up at the wrong time so the solution was to just stop doing it), but they made us start doing it again after some idiot fell down while walking out, which they likely would have done anyways under any circumstance. Digital movies now have an exact time listed to program the lights to come up; I guess if anyone insisted their movie play straight through with the lights down til the end they could do that. Most theaters now keep the lights up during the previews also, which is OK since they aren't part of the actual movie but I'd still rather see those with them down.
Theaters I go to will turn the lights down 90% during previews and turn them up 10% during the credits. Keeps it dark enough to still watch but provides a little light if you're arriving/leaving.
Old 04-04-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Proper respect? I guess the $13 ticket I just spent my money on isn't proper respect.
For $13, you should want to see literally the ENTIRE movie- possibly even stay to see it again or another movie afterwards. If I'm paying that much to see a movie I'm sure as hell taking my time leaving afterwards. If I'm in such a hurry that I don't want to do that, there's plenty of other things to spend $13 on or just hold onto it. If I pay a premium price for a meal, I'm sure as hell going to eat ALL of it also.
Old 04-04-16, 12:57 PM
RIP

there's plenty of other things to spend $13 on
Old 04-04-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For $13, you should want to see literally the ENTIRE movie- possibly even stay to see it again or another movie afterwards. If I'm paying that much to see a movie I'm sure as hell taking my time leaving afterwards. If I'm in such a hurry that I don't want to do that, there's plenty of other things to spend $13 on or just hold onto it. If I pay a premium price for a meal, I'm sure as hell going to eat ALL of it also.
Which is why I leave when the credits start, they aren't entertaining and I paid to be entertained, or thought provoked.

I can take it in at the bar next door with a nice cold fairly priced beer.
Old 04-04-16, 01:15 PM

I guess I could pay Merry Maids full price, but tell them to leave after I think they've been here long enough, or to skip parts that I don't care about or think aren't important. Oddly enough Merry Maids moved into a space where a Blockbuster used to be.

Beer? I don't like beer. I think I'll go order a huge one right now and not drink it.
Old 04-04-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm paying $13 for being at a nice theater and reserved seating. Dude, I have a life. Unless there's a film that has something after the credits then I'm outta there.

Let me ask you something - do you watch the credits at home when you finish watching a Blu-ray, too?
Old 04-04-16, 01:32 PM
Banned

Look when I fuck a paid whore. I go to be fucked. Every which way but loose. I don't give a fuck about what made her a prostitute. I just dropped my pants and my cash for me to stab a woman in every hole I can w/ my churro and that's it. I don't give a fuck about her origins. Fuck that. Unless she's going to give it to me from behind after her pointless social ingredients... I don't give a fuck.

And that's the way Movies work cuz it's logical.

Experiment. Take it in the bum.

Not all of us have all this wonderful to waste like you, Alan Smithee. Some of us have vaginas to pound and assholes to consensually violate. And eat Tacos.... either general type can apply here.
Old 04-04-16, 02:14 PM
RIP

I guess I could pay Merry Maids full price, but tell them to leave after I think they've been here long enough, or to skip parts that I don't care about or think aren't important. Oddly enough Merry Maids moved into a space where a Blockbuster used to be.

Beer? I don't like beer. I think I'll go order a huge one right now and not drink it.
We're talking about end credits here. That's all.
Old 04-04-16, 02:42 PM

I'm paying $13 for being at a nice theater and reserved seating.
If it's such a nice theater, leaving it should be the last thing on your mind.

Let me ask you something - do you watch the credits at home when you finish watching a Blu-ray, too?
Of course- I wouldn't have such an awesome setup if I didn't. When I get a new disc I even let all the intros and menus play straight through, though afterwards I skip right past that stuff as fast as possible and get annoyed when it won't let me.

I wonder how many people who don't watch end credits also rarely or never actually sit down and listen to an album all the way through? Cause you know, you're just sitting there, staring at nothing. When you have a life there's no time for that!
Old 04-04-16, 02:46 PM
Banned

Wait... you have an awesome set up? I'm not sure how you even get the proper sound coming out w/ all that shit in your place getting hit by the sound.

Sounds like you wasted money on that shit if your place is still a shitter.
Old 04-04-16, 03:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I have to ask... do you save the tag when you buy a shirt? That tag came with the shirt... it's connected to the garment when you purchase it. And you paid good money for that shirt, and the tag is part of that cost. Sure, it has no use in the intended function of the shirt (much as credits don't serve the actual narrative of a movie), but you paid for that shirt, tag and all.
Old 04-04-16, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

I stay through the credits, mainly to let the rest of the theater file-out and just in case there is a scene after the credits.
Old 04-04-16, 03:20 PM
RIP

When I get a new disc I even let all the intros and menus play straight through, though afterwards I skip right past that stuff as fast as possible and get annoyed when it won't let me.

what the fuck
Old 04-04-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it's such a nice theater, leaving it should be the last thing on your mind.

Of course- I wouldn't have such an awesome setup if I didn't. When I get a new disc I even let all the intros and menus play straight through, though afterwards I skip right past that stuff as fast as possible and get annoyed when it won't let me.

I wonder how many people who don't watch end credits also rarely or never actually sit down and listen to an album all the way through? Cause you know, you're just sitting there, staring at nothing. When you have a life there's no time for that!

As a vinyl enthusiast you would be wrong on that front. But your comparisons don't make sense, though.

It's called having priorities in life. That nice theater I frequent will still be there tomorrow and next year. I've paid my $13 for a reserved seat, great video, and great sound, in a relatively peaceful environment. That's it and that's my priority. I don't have time to sit there reading credits. What the hell for? How is that going to enlighten my life? If I want some useless tidbit of info or just to brush up on something then I'll hit up IMDB.

I also have a great home theater and there's no way I am going to watch a film's end credits on Blu-ray. The only time I will watch film like that is if it has an isolated movie soundtrack. Other than that then no.
Old 04-04-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More movies need Wild Things style credits.
Old 04-04-16, 04:11 PM

Okay, I have to ask... do you save the tag when you buy a shirt? That tag came with the shirt... it's connected to the garment when you purchase it. And you paid good money for that shirt, and the tag is part of that cost. Sure, it has no use in the intended function of the shirt (much as credits don't serve the actual narrative of a movie), but you paid for that shirt, tag and all.
Which tag are we talking about? The ones connected with plastic I rip off and throw away, but I at least take a look at them before tossing them (what if they had a message like "Do NOT wear this in the rain after midnight" or something?) If I were a "collector" of that sort of thing I'd save them, but I'm not. I do keep all media packaging though as I am an obsessive collector of those, so I'd never dream of throwing out a slipcover. Those who do throw them out are obviously not collectors, they just want the movie.

I don't have time to sit there reading credits. What the hell for? How is that going to enlighten my life?
"Don't have time"? "Priorities"? What is so important that you can't stay at the theater for 5 or so minutes? I've given SEVERAL examples of how credits can properly end a movie, but you've chosen to ignore those. Credits aren't just a time to list the people who worked on the movie (who you might actually meet in real life someday), but also to close it out with music and give you a bit of time to reflect on what you just saw before rushing back out into the real world. And of course there's a chance the narrative DOES continue after the credits also- the best are when they have a scene that ties up a loose end that you might have forgotten about.

I see most of the "extras" on discs as a far bigger waste of time than credits, and I don't know why anyone would watch those if they skip over credits. Some of them take longer than the actual movie to get through! (Some extras even include alternate versions of the credits, or bits about how they were made!) I watch those anyways since they're there, but if I were so pressed for time that I had to skip over stuff most of the extras would be the first to go.

It's always funny that people have time to talk about this subject also, explaining why they don't have time to read stuff.
Old 04-04-16, 04:15 PM

Big Hero 6 photo 10670219_348808801958003_8490411544541857050_n.png
Old 04-04-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only stick around if these is a post-credits scene.
Old 04-04-16, 05:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I'd pay to see a film of a Merry Maids reaction upon arriving at Alan's place.
Old 04-04-16, 05:22 PM

I'll make one, but not show any of the actual clean-up til after the credits.
Old 04-04-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Don't have time"? "Priorities"? What is so important that you can't stay at the theater for 5 or so minutes? I've given SEVERAL examples of how credits can properly end a movie, but you've chosen to ignore those. Credits aren't just a time to list the people who worked on the movie (who you might actually meet in real life someday), but also to close it out with music and give you a bit of time to reflect on what you just saw before rushing back out into the real world. And of course there's a chance the narrative DOES continue after the credits also- the best are when they have a scene that ties up a loose end that you might have forgotten about.
I can reflect at home or once we leave the theater and grab a bite or have some drinks. I don't need to sit in a theater watching credits. What the hell for? I don't give a shit if I ever meet some gaffer or best boy that worked on some film. What the fuck that gotta do with me? How are they going to improve my life? As I've already said - I have an APP that tells me if there's an after credit scene. It's all about being efficient.
Old 04-04-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If the Media Stinger website says there is something extra, I'll stay for it. I like them!
Old 04-04-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

(One reason "Look Who's Talking" is NOT a well-made film: although it ends with Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open The Door" which is a nice happy song to end things on, the song ends BEFORE the end credits finish and at least the last 30 seconds of them play out in SILENCE. When I saw that at the theater I thought someone had turned the sound off early, but that's how it was made. Only really serious or "heavy" movies should have complete silence at the end, never light-hearted comedies!)
Old 04-04-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stick around if:

1. Great music or something to watch. Or some post-credits thing to wait around for.

2. I just had my socks rocked by the movie. Like, I can't move or don't want people to see that I was bawling.
Old 04-05-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
...Let me ask you something - do you watch the credits at home when you finish watching a Blu-ray, too?
Interesting question, especially in this context. I'll play!

No. Absolutely not. If I've never seen the film before I'll FF through the credits to see if there's something after the credit roll - unless I didn't care for the film, in which case I hit eject. If I already know there's nothing there I hit eject.
Credits aren't just a time to list the people who worked on the movie (who you might actually meet in real life someday),
Yes, they are. I don't recall "long" credits on most (all?) films before the Road Show type films which had entrance/exit music. Even then I saw few people who stayed to listen.

If I meet someone who worked on a movie I'd hope they'd let me know. I sure as heck am not going to remember some random name out of hundreds listed in movie credits.
...but also to close it out with music and give you a bit of time to reflect on what you just saw before rushing back out into the real world.
If it's a "serious" film, I could agree... depending. But without "long" credits I can just sit there and do the same thing while everyone else is making their way out. Or wait until I get to the car (no one's forcing me to leave the parking lot unless I should sit there too long and start looking like a perv). The thing is, it's usually those "serious" films which end with 5-45 minutes of credits having absolutely *no* payoff at the end. If I really like the score I'd rather just purchase a copy to listen to at home, but most end credits music is like that "exit music" in that it simply repeats the same music already heard or is a condensation of the score (much like a overture). If it's "pop" or "rock" songs I can put them on myself, if I actually *like* the selections.
And of course there's a chance the narrative DOES continue after the credits also- the best are when they have a scene that ties up a loose end that you might have forgotten about.
As others have mentioned, it's fairly easy to find out ahead of time if there are "extras" during or after the credits so you don't waste time sitting around for something that never materializes.

I typically arrive early enough so I get a seat in the middle of a row so no one has to step over me while I sit waiting for the theater to empty before I leave. That's *not* to watch the credits but I'd rather sit in the theater "watching" credits than to put up with people who constantly block your way. You know the type - they get *just* past the door and *stop,* usually in a group, to discuss where to go next, completely blocking the exit of anyone behind them. The downside to that is all the commercials you must endure before a film starts. I truly miss the "old" days when the only pre-movie "commercial" was one encouraging you to visit the snack bar with *everything* else being a trailer for a upcoming film.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.