Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (2019, D: Flanagan) S: McGregor, Ferguson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-01-16, 03:07 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Academy Award-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman will adapt Stephen King’s DOCTOR SLEEP, the sequel to the horror classic The Shining, for Warner Bros.

Originally published in 1977, The Shining follows Jack Torrance, his wife Wendy and their son Danny and their lives at the haunted Overlook Hotel. While there, the hotel possesses Jack and he slowly takes over the hotel and torments Wendy and Danny.

Doctor Sleep takes place years after the events at the Overlook Hotel and focuses on the the now middle-aged Danny who is still traumatized. He’s followed in his father’s footsteps and has problems with anger management and alcoholism. He soon gives up drinking and settles in a small town in New Hampshire. While there, his psychic abilities start to resurface and he develops a psychic link with a 12-year-old girl named Abra Stone who he must save after he discovers her life is being threatened by a tribe of paranormals led by a man named Rose the Hat.

Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of The Shining was released in 1980 and has since become an iconic film, marking a pop cultural benchmark and a template for horror filmmakers.

Goldman’s involvement with Doctor Sleep comes shortly after the casting of Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba in Sony’s adaption of The Dark Tower, another one of King’s wildly popular book series. Goldsman is an obvious choice for the screenplay considering his familiarity with King’s work, specifically in penning an early draft of The Dark Tower script and serving as a producer on the project. He has plenty of experience adapting other high-profile literary adaptations as well, including The Da Vinci Code, The Divergent Series: Insurgent, and The 5th Wave.

Jon Berg and Jon Gonda will oversee for Warner, while King will serve as an executive producer on the project. No release date has been set.

Goldsman has an extensive list of writing and producing credits, including an Oscar win for his screenplay for 2001’s Best Picture A Beautiful Mind. In addition to The Dark Tower, Goldsman’s forthcoming projects include Rings, Transformers 5 – for which he heads up Paramount writers’ room – and the horror fantasy Stephanie, which he directed.
http://www.tracking-board.com/exclus...r-warner-bros/

There is/was a prequel in the works too.
Old 04-02-16, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
re: Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (2019, D: Flanagan) S: McGregor, Ferguson

I didn't think the book was very good. It just felt like an unnecessary sequel.
Old 04-02-16, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Furthermore Akiva Goldsman is one of the hackiest hacks to ever hack.
Old 04-02-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I didn't think the book was very good. It just felt like an unnecessary sequel.
Well that's the rub...it wasn't so much a sequel (it had very little to do with the Shining) but was more of a spin-off.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but if the movie is marketed as a sequel to the Shining, people are gonna walk away pissed off.
Old 04-02-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

My problem with the novel was with how weak the villains were. Spoiler, I guess?
Spoiler:
On top of being sick and dying, the little girl they were after was so much powerful than them, and during the big fight at the end they're in two different states. It'll be pretty hard for this movie to create suspense if the villains barely pose a threat to the main character and they never appear on-screen together.
I imagine this is going to be the first thing changed when writing the screenplay.
Old 04-06-16, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if they'll license Peter Gabriel's "Steam" song for this movie!
Old 01-26-18, 12:13 PM

Well, he wanted to do it, and he got it!

EXCLUSIVE: After the out-sized grosses on the Stephen King novel adaptation It, Warner Bros has put it sequel to King’s The Shining on the fast track. Mike Flanagan has been set to direct Doctor Sleep, an adaptation of the 2013 King novel that picks up the life of the Redrum kid Danny Torrance when he is in his 40s and struggling with the same demons of anger and alcoholism that plagued his father.

Flanagan will rewrite the script originally adapted by Akiva Goldsman. Flanagan’s producing partner Trevor Macy will produce along with Vertigo Entertainment’s Jon Berg, and Goldsman is executive producer.

The novel begins as Torrance carries the trauma of the Overlook Hotel into adulthood. He’s become a reflection of his murderous father, with lingering rage and a drinking problem that dulls his pain as well as his “shining” powers. Those powers return when he embraces sobriety and uses his gift to help the dying at a hospice. He establishes a psychic connection with a young girl who shares his extreme abilities, and who is being targeted by a scary group with the similar abilities. They’ve found that their powers grow if they inhale the “steam” that comes off others with the power to shine, when they are suffering painful deaths. There are direct connections to the Overlook Hotel and the incidents there that informed The Shining, which Stanley Kubrick directed in the classic 1980 Warner Bros film that starred Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd and Scatman Crothers. Kevin McCormick is overseeing Doctor Sleep for Warner Bros.

Flanagan helmed the horror hit Oculus, and he and Macy just teamed for the Netflix adaptation of the King novel Gerald’s Game, which stars Carla Gugino. Flanagan and Macy are currently in production on The Haunting of Hill House for Netflix, and their other collaborations are Hush, Ouija: Origin of Evil and Before I Wake. Latter was released on Netflix January 5.

Macy’s Intrepid Pictures is currently in pre-production on the Paramount Players horror thriller Eli, directed by Ciarán Foy.

Flanagan is repped by WME, Novo and Joel VanderKloot; Goldsman is WME and Hansen Jacobson.
http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-shin...on-1202270283/
Old 01-26-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, shit, Flanagan is one of the few horror directors I trust to pull this off.
Old 01-26-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I was sort of hoping this would just find its way onto Netflix. They seem to be crushing their King adaptations.

I am curious to see how well Flanagan can do with a less claustrophobic setting
Old 01-26-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Good thing about this is that it is it’s own story to the extent that it can be faithful to the book without having to necessarily creating continuity problems with the Kubrick movie.
Old 01-26-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

ItI would hope it has continuity with the book and not the movie.
Old 01-27-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I can pretty much guarantee that one of the conditions Stephen King put on this was that it would have nothing to do with the Kubrick movie, considering how much he hates it.
Old 01-27-18, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What an awful book.
Old 01-27-18, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
What an awful book.
Doesn't mean the movie will be bad. Kubrick completely changed the original book.
Old 01-27-18, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Doesn't mean the movie will be bad. Kubrick completely changed the original book.
I really like Kubrick's film. What are the main things he changed from King's book?
Old 01-27-18, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I really like Kubrick's film. What are the main things he changed from King's book?
Can of worms question.

Kubrick kept the title, characters and setting. That's about it.
Old 01-27-18, 07:12 AM

I feel like Flanagan will stay pretty faithful to the books while also referencing or paying slight homage to Kubrick.
Old 01-29-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Can of worms question.

Kubrick kept the title, characters and setting. That's about it.
THANK YOU.

I literally just finished reading the Shining for the first time ever last night.

I thought it as amazing and can't believe how much Kubrick left out - I honestly feel he just wanted to cater to Jack Nicholson acting like a nut.

Danny's full name is "Daniel Anthony Torrance" his imaginary friend is named "Tony" (and thank god king left that stupid finger talking shit out of the novel) - Tony is Danny's future self trying to warn him.

I also think the book (Shining) had one of the most disturbing scenes I've read from king so far - the dog in the hallway. Also, that dude in the party mask who out of nowhere during the climax scene just jumps out of room and pops party streamers in Wendy's face and says "Great Party, isn't it" then laughs and jumps back in the room....Brilliant.

I started reading Doctor Sleep last night as well - barley 8 pages in and it's so jarring at how frantic it already is. I look forward to finishing it though - I've already seen someone say it's not that great so if it isn't, I hope I don't end up hating it - we'll see.
Old 01-29-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I really liked Dr. Sleep... but if you are expecting a sequel to the Shining you better temper your expectations. King basically pulled a Kubrick. He took Danny from the Shining to make a novel as him as an adult. That's about where the ties end.

Also the book makes you think it's going one way, then takes a left turn, and you think you've got it pegged then it goes in another direction, all the while missing the obvious path you want it to take.
Old 02-16-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I finished the book last night. First, there was absolutely no reason at all for it be almost 700 pages long, absolutely, completely, unnecessary.

But with that said, I did think it was good for what it was - while I was pissed off at all the bullshit filler, the last 150 or pages or so made up for it. There are some very cool nods to the shining (the book, not the movie).

I don't think this book will translate well into a film at all, I just don't. First, the "turning" and "cycling" just seemed too cheesy. The cult the "True Knot" was goofy as well, surprisingly NONE of the characters were fleshed out - actually really surprising considering how King loves to go into character development. Only Rose and Crow Daddy were given some substance - everyone else just serves a convenient purpose. Also, their names are so cringe worthy.

Abra was fine and I think the only thing that will work well in the film is the creepiness when Dan speaks in Abra's voice when they merge their shining.

I just don't know, if they make this into a film it had better be damn spot on as it has the potential to be one of King's worst movies. Also, I'm not too confident with who his heading up the screenplay - took a look at his previous films and they're terrible.

Hats off to one of Stephen King's sons Owen King who made him include a much needed element into the book - it's in the Author's notes at the end of the book if you're interested.

We'll see how this goes but I just don't think there is enough substance for a movie, people will love how the film starts out then I can just see it going to shit.
Old 02-16-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
So I finished the book last night. First, there was absolutely no reason at all for it be almost 700 pages long, absolutely, completely, unnecessary.
Very typical of the King books I've read from the past few years.
Old 02-16-18, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I don't believe End of Watch is either (I read the brief excerpt that came with Doctor Sleep and just bought the book today) and I am now reading Pet Sematary which I keep hearing is his darkest book - also not going to be a very long read.

I honestly think that's why I liked Revival so much as well - definitely not his greatest novel or anything but he attempted something I've never seen from him before and I dug that. It was a nice read and never bored me.
Old 02-16-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rival11
Hats off to one of Stephen King's sons Owen King who made him include a much needed element into the book - it's in the Author's notes at the end of the book if you're interested.
I'm sure I read it, but forgot. What note are you referring to?
Old 02-16-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm sure I read it, but forgot. What note are you referring to?
Spoiler:
That it was necessary to show that Danny hit rock bottom - without that we would have not had the shocking intro with the chick he slept with and the cocaine ordeal - this really set the tone for how messed up he was and gave Tony's appearance when he arrives in Frazier way more impact and purpose
Old 02-16-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.