Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Baskin (2015) D:Can Evrenol (Turkish horror film)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-20-16, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

This looks both disgusting and amazing. In other words, it looks sick and sick.

Old 03-20-16, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Baskin (2015) D:Can Evrenol (Turkish horror film)

ok so it wont let me post the embedded trailer. If anyone else wants to take a go at it.

youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9SfWmXQY3o
Old 03-20-16, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Releases on 3/26/16! VOD & a Limited Theatrical Release.

Really hope this screens somewhere in Northern California
Old 03-20-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Old 03-20-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Saw this at TIFF last September. With its unrelentingly grimy texture and, uhh, squishier moments, its certainly unique amongst contemporary Turkish films (really, how long has it been since that country produced horror cinema of note?), and Evrenol's ability to get it made in Turkey's current political and censorship climate is laudable, but man is it a slog, especially after the protagonists -- who are not particularly likeable by design and enjoy virtually no character development throughout the film -- find themselves in "hell", or whatever it's supposed to be, after a reasonably tense opening act, at which point the film becomes a patience-testing gauntlet of gory -- even transgressive -- but frustratingly repetitive weirdness that goes way beyond the point of being interesting or even having a point, all set to a drone-like synthesizer soundtrack that adds no emotion or enhancement to anything on screen. It's probably worth seeing once, especially for horror buffs, but I seriously doubt it will leave a mark or do anything for the local industry, and seems more like a calling card to show that Evrenol at least has enough derivative visual chops to get him out of his deteriorating country and into Hollywood B-horrors, at least for a while. Best I can say is to keep your expectations level -- or low -- and you may find it more impressive than I did.

EDIT: just watched the trailer. Looks like they worked with what they had, for sure, which is why there's gore, gore, gore and no suggestion whatsoever of a story (and the utterly predictable praise from sites like Bloody Disgusting and Shock Til You Drop, sigh). Incidentally, shots of "meat" being thrown on a grill occur ad nauseum during the opening diner sequence but are never really explained, nor is the all-around creepiness of the barely-glimpsed person cooking them. Much of the film is like that.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-20-16 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

This movie was discussed on the horror pages of Facebook. I believe, those that have seen it, pretty much agree with Brian T. It actually played here last month during a film fest but I hadn't heard about Baskin. I was more interested in the remake of Cabin Fever. Hopefully it'll come back here because I would still like to check it out.