Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Heat 2 (D: Mann) - Prequel/Sequel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 10:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

And possible TV show to with it? Eh, why not.

Via Slashfilm
http://www.slashfilm.com/heat-prequel/

Director Michael Mann is working on a prequel to his classic 1995 crime thriller, Heat. The director of Collateral and The Last of the Mohicans has just closed a deal to launch Michael Mann Books, and he’s digging into his past work to find potential stories to tell. The Heat prequel, which will first be published as a novel, is apparently a major priority for Mann at the moment.

Deadline reports the imprint will collaborate with a stable of writers, and the material they generate, including the Heat prequel, will be simultaneously developed for TV and film. The Heat prequel will focus on the formative years of detective Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino), criminal Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro), Chris Shihirles (Val Kilmer), Nate (Jon Voight), and other characters featured in Heat. Mann wrote, produced, and directed the thriller, based on cops and criminals he’s encountered.

Mann might share credit on some of the stories Michael Mann Books generates. The gang of writers assembled will collaborate with the director on both fiction and nonfiction books. Deadline notes that discussions with potential publishers will take place soon. The venture is repped by The Story Factor’s Shane Salerno, a screenwriter who’s working on the Avatar sequels and an adaptation of The Cartel. Salerno also who wrote early drafts of Meg, the long-awaited killer shark movie we recently wrote about.

A Heat prequel, at least as a novel, actually sounds promising. Mann worked on the film for well over a decade, trying to get it made. At one point, he even reworked Heat‘s script into the 1989 TV movie, LA Takedown. Over that long period of time, Mann did extensive research, and the director probably still has a wealth of material at his disposal he’s yet to use.

Hanna and McCauley’s relationship was loosely based on that of Detective Chuck Adamson and criminal Neil McCauley, and the two men did in fact once have a conversation over coffee. Perhaps there is more to their story Mann is interested in telling as well. Hanna, McCauley, and Shihirles are all fascinating characters, so it’s understandable the director would want to return to them.

If all goes according to plan with Michael Mann Books and this Heat prequel, maybe we could see Heat follow in the footsteps of Training Day and Lethal Weapon, which are both currently being adapted for television. Some of Mann’s fans will likely be skeptical of this idea, understandably, but a prequel to Heat, especially with Mann involved, sounds a whole lot more interesting than a remake of Heat without Mann’s involvement, which will is probably bound to happen one day.
Old 03-17-16, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Heat 2 (D: Mann) - Prequel/Sequel

I'd rather see a sequel to Miami Vice with Farrell and Fox than this.
Old 03-17-16, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yeah, Ferrari fizzled out since Christian Bale dropped out. Considering Blackhat was a failure - he's gotta go back to the well.
Old 03-17-16, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Old 03-17-16, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

As much as I like his older films Michael Mann hasn't made a really great film in a long time if you ask me. Not sure I like the idea of this prequel but I guess I'll wait and see what happens with it.
Old 03-17-16, 08:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Blackhat...wasn't that the "Hackers" remake with the Thor guy? I saw ads for that had no idea it was a Michael Mann movie. Oh my god.
Old 03-17-16, 08:41 AM
Banned by request

Yeah...the Hackers remake with Thor....it wasn't bad, but Mann can do a lot better than that. But Mike86 is right, he hasn't made a great film probably since Heat. I think The Insider was close, but every thing else since has been just okay. I'm still rooting for a Miami Vice sequel. That's one movie that I wanted to see those guys in more of. I liked the cast and vibe a lot. One or two more of those would be great.
Old 03-17-16, 08:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Collateral is fantastic, y'all.
Old 03-17-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
As much as I like his older films Michael Mann hasn't made a really great film in a long time if you ask me.
It depends who you ask. Miami Vice is 10 years old and IMO it's a great film. Though not as good as MV, I'm also a fan of Public Enemies, which was 7 years ago.
Old 03-17-16, 09:04 AM
Banned by request

Here's how it breaks down for me:

Great
Thief
Manhunter
Last of the Mohicans
Heat
Miami Vice

Good
The Insider
Collateral
Public Enemies

Okay
Ali
Blackhat
Old 03-17-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Here's how it breaks down for me:

Great
Thief
Manhunter
Last of the Mohicans
Heat
Miami Vice

Good
The Insider
Collateral
Public Enemies

Okay
Ali
Blackhat
In my list I'd swap The Insider & Last of the Mohicans.
Haven't seen Blackhat and it's been a long time since I watched Ali.
Old 03-17-16, 09:35 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Thief, The Insider, Heat, and Miami Vice are his best IMO. Last of the Mohicans and Collateral are fun but not excellent. The rest are average. Manhunter has a certain 80s charm but has aged poorly.
Old 03-17-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really I probably like Thief, Manhunter, and Heat the best. I'm always surprised at the love for Miami Vice on this forum. I thought it was terrible when I saw it.
Old 03-17-16, 12:34 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

It's just you and me now, sport. And I'm going to find you, God damn it.
Old 03-17-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
As much as I like his older films Michael Mann hasn't made a really great film in a long time if you ask me. Not sure I like the idea of this prequel but I guess I'll wait and see what happens with it.
Honestly, I'm one of the few who isn't that crazy about HEAT. Just "okay" to me - nothing great.

I think THE INSIDER is his best movie (with MANHUNTER a close second).
Old 03-17-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that Heat is good but slightly overrated. It's probably one of the last films where Pacino and De Niro gave really great performances though which is one thing that stands out to me about it. Plus seeing them together in a scene even if it's brief was cool.
Old 03-17-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Heat is my favorite movie. Don't fuck this up, Mann.
Old 03-18-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I sure wish that The Keep would be released on Blu. Saw it about 30 years ago and I would like to re-evaluate it. While I don't remember a lot of the story, I do remember it being very atmospheric and creepy with a great Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Shout!/Scream Factory, you hear me.
Old 03-18-16, 12:03 PM
Banned by request

Mann completely disowned it and mentioned he will never let it see the light of day on home video. I forgot where I read that, but it was around the time I saw it at the Drafthouse a few years ago. I think there's still rights issues as well with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. I enjoyed it, it's not a bad film at all.

Last edited by E Unit; 03-18-16 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Mann completely disowned it and mentioned he will never let it see the light of day on home video. I forgot where I read that, but it was around the time I saw it at the Drafthouse a few years ago. I think there's still rights issues as well with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack. I enjoyed it, it's not a bad film at all.
From what I know, Mann's dissatisfaction is because the original cut of the film was 3 hours long and Paramount butchered it to almost half that length. Maybe if someone is willing to play ball and let him re-cut it something could happen. There's always hope.
Old 04-27-17, 12:28 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Michael Mann Sets Bestselling Author Reed Farrel Coleman To Co-Write ‘Heat’ Prequel Novel
http://deadline.com/2017/04/heat-pre...no-1202078228/

Last edited by dex14; 03-23-23 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-27-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Heat is my favorite movie. Don't fuck this up, Mann.
Going to The Drafthouse on Tuesday to watch the new cut and live Q&A streaming with Mann after.
Old 09-02-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Michael Mann says ‘Heat 2’ sequel is on the cards

Director Michael Mann has said he wants to make a sequel to the iconic thriller, Heat.

The film, which was the first movie to bring Hollywood legends Al Pacino and Robert De Niro together for the first time, has become a classic crime thriller.

In 2016, Mann announced that a novel inspired by the film would be published by his own HarperCollins publishing imprint. Speaking about the book, he said, "The novel is about two-thirds written, and it's the prequel to 'Heat', and it's the sequel to 'Heat' rolled together,"

"So it's everything before the movie and everything after the movie."

When asked if he would look at producing a live-action movie of the book, Mann said absolutely – he just doesn’t know whether it would be a film or a series. “The landscape is changing so radically and so quickly, who knows?" he said.

The book is scheduled to be out next year. It is being co-written by crime author Reed Coleman.

The book is said to explore the time De Niro’s character Neil McCauley spent in prison in his twenties, as well as the years where Pacino’s cop Vincent Hanna worked in the Chicago police force.
https://www.esquireme.com/content/38...s-on-the-cards
Old 09-02-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And something NOBODY was asking for...
It must be painful for creative egos to be forced to repeat past success just to make mortgage payments.
Old 09-02-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus

And something NOBODY was asking for...
It must be painful for creative egos to be forced to repeat past success just to make mortgage payments.
Heat is in my Top 5 movies of all time. I would LOVE for Mann to make another heist movie similar to Heat but I don’t necessarily want a prequel/sequel.

Of course, Mann has made a few other movies in the same vein of Heat already and I haven’t been a fan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.