Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that shot scenes specifically for the trailers?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that shot scenes specifically for the trailers?

Old 11-24-21, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts
Re: Movies that shot scenes specifically for the trailers?

Another promo for Jurassic World Dominion called "The Prologue":

None of the footage will appear in the film:
https://www.slashfilm.com/668764/the...hats-going-on/
Universal has stated (and we have confirmed) that the prologue that was recently released online was directed by Colin Trevorrow, who is also directing "Dominion." However, not a single frame of this five-minute short film will be in theaters next year. The short — or something very close to the one that was released online anyway — originally debuted in IMAX screenings of "F9" earlier this year.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,717 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Interesting. I had read on the site that referred me to the youtube video that the Jurassic World: Dominion preview was the first five minutes of the movie.

I've always thought it would be interesting to promote a big tentpole genre franchise movie -- like Star Trek, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Wizarding World -- by releasing a serial instead of a trailer. Like, a short fifteen-to-twenty minute film cut into three, four, or five minute parts, and then released into theaters (and, eventually youtube) every couple of weeks, like the old-time serials. It could either be a story that leads into the film, or just a standalone tale to hype the main film's release.
Old 11-24-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've always thought it would be interesting to promote a big tentpole genre franchise movie -- like Star Trek, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Wizarding World -- by releasing a serial instead of a trailer. Like, a short fifteen-to-twenty minute film cut into three, four, or five minute parts, and then released into theaters (and, eventually youtube) every couple of weeks, like the old-time serials. It could either be a story that leads into the film, or just a standalone tale to hype the main film's release.
Serials only worked because people were going to the theater weekly, since TV didn't exist. Once TV started taking off, serials died out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_serials

Universal experimented with some DTV animated prequels for Van Helsing and The Chronicles of Riddick. Those may have done bad because one had to buy/rent the DVD to watch them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ch...ick:_Dark_Fury
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_He...don_Assignment

I don't know if there's a great way to split up those stories into 3-5 minute chunks that'd be satisfying. Another problem would be that people have to see them in the right order to avoid confusion, so interest, especially in theaters, would wain with each episode as more and more people miss one, and then have no incentive to go see the rest. In addition, it'd be confusing to those who came to see the main film, unaware of the serial film.

The Animatrix was another promotion attempt, more successful, with only one two-parter out of the 9 shorts. 4 of the shorts appeared online, and Final Flight of the Osiris was shown in cinemas before the film Dreamcatcher. This last Jurassic World 3 promo was in theaters before F9. So if it's appearing in theaters, it's more likely a standalone short.
Old 04-25-22, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stumbled across two more trailers.

A fake "For Theatre Owners Only" trailer for The Jerk:

Peter Lorre describes his new role in the movie Mad Love (1935)
Old 12-21-22, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't kept up on movie trailers, or movies, recently, but the recent Barbie teaser's parody/homage to 2001 seems like something shot only for the teaser, and not likely to be in the final film.

Old 12-21-22, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Deadpool 3 announcement:

Old 01-26-23, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Jay G. (01-26-23)
Old 02-18-23, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was doing an unrelated search about promo VHS tapes, and came across this 2016 article detailing the Promos made for retailers to push the home video releases of movies (specifically horror movies in this case).
https://cameraviscera.com/2016/01/12...-promo-videos/

Some of the videos linked in the article no longer exist, but of the remaining, some feature the main villain talking to the camera reading ad copy.

Like Freddy Krueger pitching A Nightmare on Elm Street 3

Chucky pitching Child's Play:

In comparison, the promo for Child's Play 2 is disappointing, as it's mostly a mash together of promos done for the theatrical release.

like the original Child's Play 2 teaser, with Chucky talking to the camera:

Also, this interview with Chucky, interspersed with uncensored clips from the movie (note that this seems to be a re-edit with HD movie clips spliced in, and reference to future Chucky sequels at the end):
Old 03-11-23, 01:03 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Black Christmas (2006)

Apparently, after the movie was finished, the Weinsteins went behind the director's back and had a bunch of fake scenes shot just for the trailer.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...istmas-remake/

Jay G. (03-11-23)
Old 03-11-23, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Black Christmas (2006)

Apparently, after the movie was finished, the Weinsteins went behind the director's back and had a bunch of fake scenes shot just for the trailer.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...istmas-remake/
That story is pretty nuts. Glen Morgan sort of mentions how it's basically fake advertising.

There's a lawsuit involving the trailer for “Yesterday,” the 2019 film about a world without the Beatles, because Ana de Armas is in the trailer, but was cut from the final film:
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/a...ng-1235467419/

In that instance, it was just normal movie-making, her scenes were cut after the trailer was made, but I would think if anyone had been upset about the false scenes in the Black Christmas (2006) trailer, they would've had an even stronger case.

BTW, I searched for the Black Christmas (2006) TV spot the Bloody Disgusting article mentions, and found it on YouTube, posted 2 years after the article:

Also, this short compilation of all the fake scenes:
TheBigDave (03-11-23)
Old 03-24-23, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does this count? A new bit shot for the trailer for the theatrical re-release of Stop Making Sense:

Old 05-10-23, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just came across this story today, which seems similar to Black Christmas (2006), with footage shot specifically for the trailer that looks like it'll be in the movie, but isn't.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gabr...001614369.html
Gabrielle Union Says ‘Bring It On’ Filmmakers Shot ‘Fake’ Scenes to Make It Seem Like All-Black Squad Had More Screen Time

...“The Clovers were only in like a third of the movie, and when they started showing it to test audiences, The Clovers tested through the roof,” Union told Noah Callahan-Bever on the latest episode of Bloomberg’s original series “Idea Generation.”

“They were like, ‘We need more with The Clovers but we can’t add it to the movie,’” Union continued. “We’re going to shoot scenes, fake scenes, that will only be in the trailer to create the illusion that it was like a 50-50 movie. But what’s interesting is, the people spoke. When the people spoke, they were like OK we got to deliver on – at least fake deliver. And the rest is kind of history. It’s wild to me.”
She also mentioned this in a Tik-Tok last year:
https://www.tiktok.com/@gabunion/vid...09990042783022

This is the best quality version of the trailer I could find:
Old 04-02-24, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was rewatching the Nimona trailer, and the Youtube version includes an extra bit at the end encouraging people to click "like".

Old 04-02-24, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,092 Likes on 789 Posts

I think that line about Germany declaring war on the Jones boys was just to put some pithy remark in the trailer. No reason for him to say something "clever" at that moment. He's just telling the Nazi officer to go kill the prisoners that he had previously ordered be kept alive.
Old 04-03-24, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Somehow I missed seeing the post about one of the trailers for Bring It On making it look like The Clovers squad had a bigger role in the film. Still an incredible film that is a fan favorite for so many reasons, but adding more Gabrielle Union to any film is never a bad thing and can only make something that is already good even better than it is.

I am glad to see this thread being updated, but it does seem that very few films from the past several years sneak in footage to a trailer/promo spot that is not in the film. Deadpool 3 seems to be the very noticeable exception to the rule.
Old 04-03-24, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I think it is a crappy thing to do you go to the movie expecting to see a certain scene and find out it is not there. Bait and switch.

I still agree with this.