Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 88th Academy Awards --> 2016 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
6.67%
10.00%
36.67%
13.33%
10.00%
6.67%
What are you high?
16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

The 88th Academy Awards --> 2016 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts
Re: The 88th Academy Awards --> 2016 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by Finisher
Margot Robbie, Olivia Wilde and Tom Hardy's wife looked the best tonight.
Post the pics.
Old 02-28-16, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the pics were never posted...
Old 02-28-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Jesus Christ, man. Not only is your question loaded with accusations, it's implying both organizations fully endorse rape and willingly asks its constituents to participate rape. What the fuck is wrong with you?
No, they do not "Fully" endorse rape, but both look the other way and do not like it being reported.
-Casting Couch
-If an actor does report abuse (many different types), they will never work in Hollywood again...Directors (every other Hollywood worker) knows this

Percentage wise, the problem is much bigger problem in Hollywood than College.

They reason I said all this, Hollywood slammed Colleges without pointing a finger back at themselves...very hypocritical.
Old 02-28-16, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
If the Jews had any pull, Mark Rylance would not have won tonight.
Is this a joke?
Old 02-28-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
You're white. Suck it up.
First, you don't know that. And the Oscars are not the place for this kind of talk. That whole police shooting black people on their way to the movies comment from Rock earlier this evening was not appropriate either.
Old 02-28-16, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

This thread. I haven't seen white people so butthurt since Bonanza went off the air.
Old 02-29-16, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're all forgetting the most important thing:

Undertale got snubbed for best picture! What a disgrace! It was such a fantastic movie! #boycottoscars
Old 02-29-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
Is this a joke?
No. Rylance is very outspoken about his anti-Israel positions. Frankly, I'm surprised he was picked by Spielberg for the role.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/201...oycott-israeli
Old 02-29-16, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
First, you don't know that. And the Oscars are not the place for this kind of talk.
Why the hell not? Oscar night is for the industry to pat themselves on the back for being important, they get to decide what is or is not appropriate to discuss, not you. Hollywood is full of left leaning celebrities who jump at any and all opportunities to talk about progressive issues that are important to them. Actors like to present themselves as benevolent heroes, ever-reaching out their hand to the underprivileged and downtrodden. Year after the year the Oscars reward safe movies and performances that focus on the handicapped, LGBT, disabled, etc. This year the Academy's image took a huge hit with the #Oscarssowhite issue, that dominated all conversation about the Oscars since the nominations were announced. Anybody who is surprised that the Oscars embraced the opportunity to both apologize for, and poke fun at the elephant in the room is madder than Max. And what exactly are you getting at when you call the phrase black lives matter 'that kind of talk?'
Old 02-29-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Did I miss something? What's with all the environmental shit?
no worries, I'll catch you up. Man made carbon emissions are slowly warming the entire planet and if we don't stop this everyone on the planet is going to die. Hope that helps.
Old 02-29-16, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
personally I thought the 'Nina Simone' documentary was a far better documentary film than 'Amy' (Winehouse)
Cartel Land might be the best documentary I've ever seen. Amy was good, but was the least deserving of all nominees.
Old 02-29-16, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chadm
no worries, I'll catch you up. Man made carbon emissions are slowly warming the entire planet and if we don't stop this everyone on the planet is going to die. Hope that helps.
Old 02-29-16, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jesus Christ, Chris Rock's last words tonight were "black lives matter". Really!? Hands down THE worst Oscars ever. Only because of the endless sledge hammer to the head race agenda.
Maybe if white people were as outraged over the police killing black people for no reason as they were about Chris Rock bringing it up on the Oscars, the police would stop killing black people for no reason? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 02-29-16, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chris Rock was awful. I don't think he landed a single joke all night. Besides Ali G there wasn't a decent comedic moment the whole damn night. I get that the controversy over the lack of black nominees had to be addressed, but did it have to be every joke, skit and video in the entire 3 + hour broadcast? The only thing that wasn't a race joke was the girl guide cookie thing. And I'm not sure that was even A joke. Seriously, what was that?

Also, the Stacey Dash moment should receive an Emmy for most awkward television moment of all time. That was painful.

Pretty lousy show all around, but of the few highlights:

Mad Max winning a bunch of awards.

Leo killing it with his acceptance speech.

Ennio Morricone winning while sitting right next to John Williams.

The Revenant not winning Best Picture.

Disappointments:

Sly not winning

George Miller not winning

Jennifer Jason Leigh not winning

Mad Max Fury Road not winning BP

Chris Rock bombing.
Old 02-29-16, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What did Stacey Dash say? Isn't she that sell out broad?
Old 02-29-16, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chadm
I get that the controversy over the lack of black nominees had to be addressed, but did it have to be every joke, skit and video in the entire 3 + hour broadcast?
Yes.
Old 02-29-16, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Maybe if white people were as outraged over the police killing black people for no reason as they were about Chris Rock bringing it up on the Oscars, the police would stop killing black people for no reason? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 02-29-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chris Rock needs to remember his place and stop violating my safe space of the Academy Awards, a hotbed of good ole American conservative values.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 02-29-16 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-29-16, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

First the slavery thing, now the Oscars. These people can't catch a break, can they?
Old 02-29-16, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

The most important question in this thread still hasn't been answered:

Spoiler:

Who was that hot chick behind Charlotte Rampling?

Old 02-29-16, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
What did Stacey Dash say? Isn't she that sell out broad?
What makes her a sell out?
Old 02-29-16, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Why the hell not? Oscar night is for the industry to pat themselves on the back for being important, they get to decide what is or is not appropriate to discuss, not you. Hollywood is full of left leaning celebrities who jump at any and all opportunities to talk about progressive issues that are important to them. Actors like to present themselves as benevolent heroes, ever-reaching out their hand to the underprivileged and downtrodden. Year after the year the Oscars reward safe movies and performances that focus on the handicapped, LGBT, disabled, etc. This year the Academy's image took a huge hit with the #Oscarssowhite issue, that dominated all conversation about the Oscars since the nominations were announced. Anybody who is surprised that the Oscars embraced the opportunity to both apologize for, and poke fun at the elephant in the room is madder than Max. And what exactly are you getting at when you call the phrase black lives matter 'that kind of talk?'
What exactly am I getting at!? We're talking about an awards show here. This is not a forum to talk about anything related to the police. Bash Hollywood all you want for not nominating people of a certain race. And let that be the theme for an entire awards show. But to close with "black lives matter"? That takes the subject in completely different direction. This has nothing to do with someone's life.
Old 02-29-16, 01:52 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Looking at the list it seems pretty solid. I thought Brooklyn was better than Spotlight but thought they were the 2 best films of the year. Solid choices. Did not watch this year.
Old 02-29-16, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What exactly am I getting at!? We're talking about an awards show here. This is not a forum to talk about anything related to the police. Bash Hollywood all you want for not nominating people of a certain race. And let that be the theme for an entire awards show. But to close with "black lives matter"? That takes the subject in completely different direction. This has nothing to do with someone's life.
Yeah, an awards show for movies, which are just as much about art as entertainment; and art is heavily influenced by social and political issues affecting humanity. In fact, an awards ceremony for one of the most lucrative forms of art and storytelling is the perfect forum to spark conversations about such issues. Social change doesn't happen when the oppressed sit politely in the corner and wait for their turn to speak, it happens when they refuse to be swept under the rug and instead make their voices heard. You were quite vocal about Chris Rock harping too much on the race issue earlier, but now you say it's okay once he's gone one step further by saying 'black lives matter?' Your insistence of what should be on or off limits at the Oscars is much more detrimental to artistic expression than Chris Rock saying that 'black lives matter.' Cinema, and art, has everything to do with someone's life.
Old 02-29-16, 03:52 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm a huge Chris Rock fan and was so looking forward to his monologue. I'd give it a grade of C.

I don't even remember his first jokes right out of the gate, but they bombed. He did have some funny ones, but he's way better than what he showed tonight. His delivery was off, he flubbed some of his own lines & mispronounced several names that I remember.

Hell, this thread is funnier than he was seeing the few white posters outraged over Rock's jokes and the racial theme of the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.