Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's A Wrinkle In Time (2018, D: Ava DuVernay)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's A Wrinkle In Time (2018, D: Ava DuVernay)

Old 03-07-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Disney's A Wrinkle In Time (2018, D: Ava DuVernay)

Originally Posted by MarkitZero
Wow, the "Top Critics" really dislike this one. Not a good sign.
Not really, most of their reviews are right on the cusp on Recommended/Not Recommended. I'd mark "really dislike" as it getting slammed. This is just more, I dunno, middling?
Old 03-07-18, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not really, most of their reviews are right on the cusp on Recommended/Not Recommended. I'd mark "really dislike" as it getting slammed.
Well, 12 of the 18 "Top Critics" rated it "Rotten". Over half of "All" critics rate it "Rotten"
Old 03-07-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MarkitZero
Well, 12 of the 18 "Top Critics" rated it "Rotten". Over half of "All" critics rate it "Rotten"
Right, but "Rotten" being 2.5 out of 4 or 5 is a smidge different than a "rotten" being a 0.5 out of 5.
Old 03-07-18, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh sure, that can be true. But if the general public clicks on RT site and sees that the movie has the big green "Rotten" logo plastered all over, to them it's just a "bad" movie and may pass on seeing it. They aren't going to analyze each review and say "Oh but this one was a 2.5, this one was a 2, this one was a 1.5..."
Old 03-07-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, which is why this movie is lucky that it's aimed toward the tween audience that is less likely to care.
Old 03-07-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Variety posted a negative review:

http://variety.com/2018/film/reviews...ticle-comments
Old 03-08-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I don't know what the big deal is about this movie.

It looks boring and stupid.
Old 03-08-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,358 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I don't know what the big deal is about this movie.

It looks boring and stupid.
Are you a teen/tween? I am going to go out on a limb and say this movie isn't targeted to you.
Old 03-08-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

No it is not lol
Old 03-08-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I also loathed the book when I read it, but perhaps now I might appreciate it more.
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I loved the book as a pre-teen. But when I read it again forty years later, I saw its substructure.

It's a story about a girl who's smarter than the other children, who has a loving mother and lives in a wonderful home, who meets a boy and they instantly fall in love and support each other for the rest of their lives, who goes on an adventure to rescue her father when everyone else has given him up. She is given supernatural help, but she has the personal strength her to rescue her father herself. The great evil is conformity, it's the local manifestation of a spreading galactic evil, and the supernatural helpers are suspiciously like angels.

It didn't work for me anymore.
I think I read the book many moons ago when I was a youngster and didn't like it. Too much religion and fantasy for my science fiction tastes. Also too much doofy cold war, anti-communist stuff that doesn't hold up.

And the commercials make the movie look awful.
Old 03-11-18, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

I watched this tonight with the kids. It was not very good. Visually it was interesting and had a couple of cool effects (especially a group of flowers actually). The story was confusing and unsatisfying. The ads make it seem like the trifecta of female stars will be carrying the movie, but most of the heavy lifting is done by the kids. Storm Reid, the gal who plays Meg, is very good indeed and should get lots of work after this. The young boy who plays Charles Wallace (and yes, they call him that over and over again. It's like Chris R. in The Room - way too specific a way to address the guy standing right in front of you) is asked to do way too much in the final act and it's not fair to expect that of such a young actor -- he's not nearly as bad as Jake Lloyd in The Phantom Menace, but I was beginning to get that sort of a vibe late in the picture. He really wears out his welcome and the movie really drags in the final 30-40% after the ladies leave. My 11 yr old boy who just read the book liked the movie though he had plenty of suggestions of things that were left out that should have been in. His version of the movie would probably be 4 hrs long. My 16 year old daughter and I were both checking our watch an awful lot in the second half. We'd be fine with waiting a long, long time before we ever watched this one again.
Old 03-11-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

So it's almost universally agreed this one sucks
Old 03-11-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Nah, "sucks" is too strong. It's not very good but it's not awful.
Old 03-11-18, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Mostly negative reviews, but the nicest negative reviews I can recall seeing. Many of them were trying to hype 'the message and diversity' of the film, as if those intentions were more important than the film itself.

This was also the priority of the director (I've only ever heard her talk about this being a diverse, message driven film) and it sounds like she forgot to focus on making a good film first. I've read from reviews that their are basic film school level of mistakes in the film - characters over explaining things, missing motivations and a hard to follow narrative.

And they did purposefully scrub out all of the religious references...the writer made some pandering comments about how the author's Episcopalian faith was "her truth" and society has moved on, etc. Big turnoff for me. I'm not actively rooting for the film to fail, but I'm hoping this keeps the director from handling larger projects for awhile.
Old 03-11-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Saw this today.
Very "meh". Cool costumes, cool hairstyling, cool effects/scenery.
Spoiler:
The feelings between Meg and CW, and Meg and dad, were good.
Didn't really threatened by the big bad (I don't recall it being called "THE IT" in the book). All of a sudden, boom, we're there.

Not great, not horrible, as a film. It did have good 'feels' so that was good, but somewhat forgettable as a standalone work. I definitely felt it was a Message first and a Movie second.
I think it needed some more time - a two part miniseries, or a three episode show on HBO, could have been great.
Old 03-12-18, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing that the preview audience for WRINKLE that Jimmy Kimmel and his celeb guests barged in on at the Oscars a week ago didn't mind the interruption after all.
Old 03-12-18, 03:06 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

My 10 year old daughter read the book back in September. She was ecstatic when she saw the trailer before Last Jedi, but this weekend she had no interest. It was a rainy weekend. We said we'd take her, but she picked staying home and playing with toys. Something about the marketing turned her off I guess.
Old 03-13-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 560 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I loved the book as a pre-teen. But when I read it again forty years later, I saw its substructure.

It's a story about a girl who's smarter than the other children, who has a loving mother and lives in a wonderful home, who meets a boy and they instantly fall in love and support each other for the rest of their lives, who goes on an adventure to rescue her father when everyone else has given him up. She is given supernatural help, but she has the personal strength her to rescue her father herself. The great evil is conformity, it's the local manifestation of a spreading galactic evil, and the supernatural helpers are suspiciously like angels.

It didn't work for me anymore.

Still, the children bouncing their balls is one of the great images of children's literature. It's still creepy today.
Even though I was a voracious sci fi reader as a kid, somehow I never read this book. But recently read it to my 7 year old, and thought it sucked, and I don't understand why it is so popular. Though I do agree about the bouncing balls scene.

For those who loved the book (I'm sure there are some here), please explain why? I thought the writing was terrible, she couldn't come up with a better name for the bad guy than "IT"? And the three good helper characters were "Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Which, and Mrs. I fucking can't remember the third"? And she makes them totally ephemeral and barely existing in tangible form, which allows her to basically not have to describe them or have them do virtually anything but talk? I just thought it was drab writing, without a truly compelling story to make up for it.

Unfortunately, even though my 7 year old did not like it either, she is suddenly excited to see the movie (she loves anything on screen, especially if she has read the book).
Old 03-13-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Even though I was a voracious sci fi reader as a kid, somehow I never read this book. But recently read it to my 7 year old, and thought it sucked, and I don't understand why it is so popular. Though I do agree about the bouncing balls scene.

For those who loved the book (I'm sure there are some here), please explain why? I thought the writing was terrible, she couldn't come up with a better name for the bad guy than "IT"? And the three good helper characters were "Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Which, and Mrs. I fucking can't remember the third"? And she makes them totally ephemeral and barely existing in tangible form, which allows her to basically not have to describe them or have them do virtually anything but talk? I just thought it was drab writing, without a truly compelling story to make up for it.

Unfortunately, even though my 7 year old did not like it either, she is suddenly excited to see the movie (she loves anything on screen, especially if she has read the book).
My daughter says she started reading it as a child and never finished it because she hated it so much.
Old 03-14-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I cannot even work up the energy to go see this. Thankfully, Tomb Raider comes out this week.
Old 06-06-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, what a stinkeroo. One of the worst movies compared to its hype and budget I can recall. I had to force myself to finish. Some pretty good visuals is about the highest praise I can give it. Story stuck, casting stunk, acting stunk, just a waste of time in my opinion. I feel bad for the people who made it because i am sure they wanted to make a good film but man they did not.
Old 06-06-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

This is almost as bad as Disney's last attempt at adapting this book.

Surprised Disney was allowed to try a second time...

It saddening cause I actually had hope this time would be different and that we would finally see the other 4 books get movie treatment, but that seems unlikely now.
Old 06-16-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thing was a real chore to get through. Huge misfire from Disney. Some good visuals, but that's about it. Even the kids were bored and restless through it.
Old 06-26-18, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Just caught this. Wow, this was one of the worst movies I've seen in recent memory. There was absolutely no point to it. There are entire scenes that happen like with those flowers that happen for absolutely no reason at all. That scene goes one for about 15 minutes and at the end of it they are literally in the same spot they were at the beginning of the scene. The plot was so vapid and entirely pointless. The "bad guy" was very anticlimactic and pointless and non threatening. The scene with the bouncing ball and kids was visually interesting but again had no point whatsoever. This movie was just so bad on so many levels. I've seen 30 second commercials that tell a more compelling and complete story than this did. The only saving grace is that at least it was short.
Old 06-29-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Add me in with the voices who didn't like this movie. Boring, plodding, exceptionally drawn-out and ultimately useless scenes that go nowhere, and the turning of the child seemed completely random.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.