Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Be Here Now: The Andy Whitfield Story

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Official Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cBqlK8Z9Psw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Coming to theaters this April.

Be Here Now
(The Andy Whitfield Story)
A Love Story by Oscar® Nominated Filmmaker Lilibet Foster

An inspiring love story between superstar, Andy Whitfield, of “Spartacus” fame and his charismatic wife, Vashti, who together take on the most heroic role he’s ever had to play. With matching 'Be Here Now' tattoos on their forearms, they go on a quest to heal Andy from a cancer diagnosis – by embracing life, rather than fear. They bravely allowed filmmaker, Lilibet Foster, to follow their dramatic and intimate roller coaster, in the hopes that by sharing their journey, they may help inspire others with challenges and dreams. And, it’s their determination, courage, healthy dose of humor and love that shows us that the journey is more important than the destination. “Be Here Now” (The Andy Whitfield Story) is a life-affirming love story about aiming for the skies, yet embracing and appreciating everything we have in our lives. This film is for anyone who has ever faced a challenge or had a dream. Their inspiring journey is an example for us all to both manifest our own destiny, yet remember to Be Here Now.

For those who aren't familiar with him. Andy Whitfield played Spartacus in the 1st season of that series back in 2010. He was diagnosed with cancer shortly after he wrapped filming and died in 2011. This documentary was filmed as he battled cancer and they have been trying to raise money for the last 4+ years to finish it. Glad it's finally coming out.

I wonder why Starz didn't help finance the movie or why they didn't purchase it to show on their network.

This is probably going to have a really limited release. I'll probably rent it if it appears on demand. I have a feeling this is going to be a really depressing watch.

Here's the featurette from 2012 that gives a little background on Andy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wE_Y5brW-ZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-22-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Be Here Now: The Andy Whitfield Story -- Coming this April

Wow, it's finally coming out. I thought they had managed to secure all the necessary funding through crowdsourcing? I too wonder why Starz didn't help out? Isn't Spartacus by far their biggest hit?
Old 02-23-16, 07:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, it's strange that Starz didn't help finance and distribute this. Spartacus -- and Andy Whitfield - put them on the map for their original programming.

Glad it's coming out. Either way, this is going to be a difficult watch.
Old 02-23-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I forgot all about this. Glad it's finally coming out.
Old 02-28-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Bump

FYI, this is now on Netflix as of today

https://www.netflix.com/title/80061160

About time. Been wanting to see this since it was 1st announced. Going to be a tough watch though.
Old 02-28-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Be Here Now: The Andy Whitfield Story

Cool. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-16-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Just finished watching this on Netflix.

Holy shit this movie was freaking sad. I'm glad Andy got to spend so much time with his wife and kids before he died. But, it was heartbreaking seeing his body slowly deteriorate during the course of the movie and seeing the heartbreak and frustration he and his wife went through when none of the treatment was helping.

The movie covered up to 1 week before Andy died and then jumped to a year later for some final reflection from his wife. I know not everyone here watched Spartacus or is familiar with Whitfield, but this was a very well made and poignant movie even though it is quite depressing.
Old 03-16-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Added to my queue... definitely going to give this a watch. When I lose perspective, I appreciate reminders like this to reel me back in.