Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mermaid (2016, D: Stephen Chow) S: Deng Chao, Jelly Lin, Kitty Zhang, Tsui Hark

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mermaid (2016, D: Stephen Chow) S: Deng Chao, Jelly Lin, Kitty Zhang, Tsui Hark

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Ooooh, I wanna see this. Love Stephen Chow movies, even though he doesn't appear in this one.

Easily the most delightful comic fantasy in Chinese-language cinema since his own “Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons” (2013), Stephen Chow’s The Mermaid defies the time-worn nature of its material, concocting pure enchantment with the director’s own blend of nutty humor, intolerable cruelty and unabashed sweetness. Like an ecological Lust, Caution, this contempo fairy tale about a mermaid who falls for the evil developer she’s been sent to seduce and assassinate is strikingly relevant to China, beset as it is with myriad environmental crises. The film has already broken mainland opening-day records, and is sure to do swimmingly at home and on foreign shores. -- Variety

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UvMk7Z0Sp7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 02-12-16, 04:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: The Mermaid (2016, D: Stephen Chow) S: Deng Chao, Jelly Lin, Kitty Zhang, Tsui Ha

Looks interesting. Wonder if it gets a US release like Kung Fu Hustle?
Old 02-19-16, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Mermaid (2016, D: Stephen Chow) S: Deng Chao, Jelly Lin, Kitty Zhang, Tsui Ha

Saw this today. Had some funny moments, but overall thought it was kinda underwhelming. One thing I think could have made the movie better was if Chow had cast himself in the lead role. The lead actor wasn't bad, but I think Chow would have brought more comedy flair to the role.

Also, I thought the movie was too short. I actually would have liked more comic interplay between the two leads. Their romantic relationship develops too quickly that it doesn't feel substantial enough. The octopus guy was pretty funny though.
Old 03-20-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this today. It's hard for any film to top Kung Fu Hustle so that's not a great yardstick. It was entertaining, and had great social commentary about environmental destruction and China's wealth (both nouveau riche and second generation princes).

A few things I noticed that were lost in translation: there's an extended scene where the mermaid talks about tricks she can do with plucked chickens. The double entendre is lost in English: “chicken” is slang for whore.

An entertaining movie, but not one I would ask people to rush to the theater for.