Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King’s Revival

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King’s Revival

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 01:44 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Stephen King’s Revival

Josh Boone is attached to direct an adaptation of Stephen King’s “Revival,” sources confirmed to Variety.

Boone has already penned the script with Michael De Luca attached to produce. The film is currently not set up at a studio, but sources indicate that Universal will get a first look, since De Luca does have a production deal with the studio.

Published in 2014, the book follows a preacher who loses his faith when his wife and child are killed in an accident. He soon becomes obsessed in his experimentation into the healing power of electrical current, positioning him to act as God-like faith healer.

Intertwined with the preacher is a young man with demons of his own, who has benefited from the preacher’s talents and becomes a reluctant accomplice to his deadly obsession.

King previously tapped Boone to adapt his best-seller “The Stand” into a feature film. Boone is still attached to direct the pic, which is currently set up at CBS Films.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jo...rs-1201694955/

A source close to the production tells EW that Samuel L. Jackson is circling the very meaty role of Charles Jacobs in the adaptation of Stephen King’s Revival. The Fault in Our Stars’s Josh Boone has written the script and will direct, with Michael de Luca on board as producer.

The character of Charles Jacobs is one of King’s most interesting and complex: he’s a charismatic, small-town preacher who, after a tragic accident kills his wife and child, starts experimenting with the supernatural using electricity. This is a story from the mind of Stephen King, so things only get twistier and darker from there. No word yet as to who is in talks to play the lead character, Jamie Morton.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/10...ackson-revival
Old 02-10-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
re: Stephen King’s Revival

Fantastic novel that will make a great film, but translating the climax to film is gonna be a tall task.
Old 02-10-16, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

So it is typical King?
Old 02-10-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Actually no.

So as vague as possible... It's more of a drama with a, let's say... unique climax. The novel could have gone several different directions but it manages to go in none of the directions you imagine along the way. As far as the typical lackluster endings King usually delivers... this definitely isn't one of those. Whether or not you like the ending is another matter, but it definitely delivers.
Old 02-12-16, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the novel had one of the darkest endings I've ever read. No details, but, wow.
Old 02-12-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I read and enjoyed the book, and I'd certainly be down for checking out how a film adaptation is done. No doubt Jackson can nail the role. I wonder if they'll have another actor to play the younger character. Though with good makeup/effects, I suppose he can realistically portray a character from 30 to 70 years old.

I'd be very curious how a movie approaches the material. As quoted below, this isn't your typical Stephen King horror story. For the longest part, it comes across as a coming-of-age story with little-to-no supernatural or horror. I remember that being a bone of contention for negative reviewers of the book. Those wanting a gentler coming-of-age drama really had the rug pulled out from them by the end. And those who wanted horror felt they didn't get enough of it. But that's kind of why I like the book. I enjoy stories that take me to places I don't see coming.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the movie addresses this. If it takes the same approach as the book, it will be polarizing. But that would make for the better movie IMO. As opposed to softening the ending while pitching it as something in the vein of Stand by Me or The Shawshank Redemption. Or bringing the horror to the front throughout the movie and marketing it like that. If its faithful to the book there's a good chance of this being one those all-time misleadingly-marketed movies (like how Bridge to Terabithia was marketed as a feel-good fantasy in the vein of Narnia).

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
So it is typical King?
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Actually no.

So as vague as possible... It's more of a drama with a, let's say... unique climax. The novel could have gone several different directions but it manages to go in none of the directions you imagine along the way. As far as the typical lackluster endings King usually delivers... this definitely isn't one of those. Whether or not you like the ending is another matter, but it definitely delivers.
Originally Posted by collven
I think the novel had one of the darkest endings I've ever read. No details, but, wow.

Last edited by brainee; 02-12-16 at 02:27 PM.