Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Invisible Man (2020, D: Leigh Whannell)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Johnny Depp has been set to star in The Invisible Man for Universal Pictures, part of the studio’s new production initiative to reestablish the classic movie monsters that is a cornerstone legacy for the studio. That effort is being led by Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan, who’ll produce.
http://deadline.com/2016/02/johnny-d...al-1201699474/
Old 02-09-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
re: The Invisible Man (2020, D: Leigh Whannell)

Well we see him?
Old 02-09-16, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Since he's Johnny Depp - I'm thinking he'll be visible most of the time.
Old 02-09-16, 10:26 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

part of the studio’s new production initiative to reestablish the classic movie monsters that is a cornerstone legacy for the studio.
an initiative that's been a total failure for the last 15 years.
Old 02-10-16, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We'll see. Between this, the Mummy and Van Helsing (both starring Tom Cruise), they're sure trying.
Old 02-10-16, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

You mean we can't get another Frankenstein movie (for the 3rd year in a row)?
Old 02-10-16, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

I think Johnny Depp will demand changes to the script so that they end up calling it The Visible Man....the entire world becomes invisible except for him.
Old 02-10-16, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

How much was Claude Rains actually on the set for the original and how much was just voiceover? Maybe this is just a way to have a star without a big time commitment.
Old 02-10-16, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read he's already on a special diet so he'll be so skinny that when he turns sideways he'll appear to vanish.
Old 02-10-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
How much was Claude Rains actually on the set for the original and how much was just voiceover? Maybe this is just a way to have a star without a big time commitment.
I would say it was Claude Rains for the most part.
Claude Rains was claustrophobic and it was hard to breathe through the suit. Consequently, the work was especially difficult for him, and a double, who was somewhat shorter than Rains, was sometimes used.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_In...Man_%28film%29

On the DVD short documentary, Claude Rains' daughter tells of a time when the two went to see this movie in the theater years after it was made. It was bitterly cold and his face was completely covered by a hat and scarf. When he spoke to ask for the tickets, the attendant immediately recognized his voice and wanted to let them in for free. Rains was quite upset at this and demanded that he pay full price.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024184/trivia
Old 02-10-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Uni looks to be pinning their hopes for this Monster Cinematic Universe on securing big name stars for their leads.

Cruise for Mummy, now Depp, and I have it on good authority that
Spoiler:
Jolie is going to appear as the Bride at the end of Mummy.
Not sure these will be creatively or commercially successful, but as a horror fan I am interested to find out.
Old 02-10-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

They'll probably try to get Brad Pitt as Dr. Frankenstein and Channing Tatum as the monster.
Old 02-10-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I was sort of interested in this classic monsters universe until I read this description of The Mummy:

The story follows Navy Seal Tyler Colt and his mission in the Iraqi desert to find a group of terrorists ...
Because nothing says gothic horror like Navy Seals, terrorists, tactical gear, and GPS.
Old 02-10-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

No Chevy Chase, no sale!
Old 01-28-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Universal’s ‘The Invisible Man’ Reboot Lands ‘Insidious: Chapter 3’ Director Leigh Whannell

Jason Blum will produce the new monster movie, which represents a rethinking of the studio’s horror franchises

Leigh Whannell, the director of “Insidious: Chapter 3” and “Upgrade,” has signed on to direct the remake of “The Invisible Man,” which Universal Pictures is developing based on the classic monster movie character.

Whannell will also produce alongside Jason Blum for his Universal-based Blumhouse Productions.
https://www.thewrap.com/invisible-ma...ouse-director/
Old 01-28-19, 11:34 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Blumhouse taking over the "Dark Universe"??? Finally... a step in the right direction.
Old 02-14-19, 08:46 AM

Blum explained,

“I don’t believe in saying “We’re going to do movies about this” and then trying to find a movie about it. So I didn’t believe in going and saying ‘I want to do all these movies’, and then try to find directors to do them. We have a director who… we’ve also done six or seven movies with, pitched us this spectacular idea about Invisible Man. We told him to write it, he wrote it, then we took it to the studio and said ‘We’d love to do this and this is what we would do with it,’ and they said yes.”

While Blum is naturally keeping the details of Whannell’s project mum for now, he did talk a bit about what he saw in the pitch and what made him want to take it to Universal.

“It was like the Blumhouse version of The Invisible Man, it’s a lower-budget movie. It’s not dependent on special effects, CGI, stunts. It’s super character-driven, it’s really compelling, it’s trilling, it’s edgy, it feels new. Those were all things that felt like they fit with what our company does. And it happened to be an Invisible Man story, so it checked both boxes. And we responded to it because I think Leigh is just an A+ director.”

Blum also said that despite the IP appeal of The Invisible Man or any similar classic monster projects that might come down the road, they’re still sticking to Blumhouse’s signature low budget model. When I asked Blum about what kind of budget they’re aiming for, he explained:

“We’re definitely in our zone, I don’t know if it’s going to be strictly five [million]. It’s not going to be more than ten, I don’t think.”
Jason Blum on The Invisible Man & Making Universal Monster Movies | Collider
Old 03-01-19, 02:01 PM

Universal is in talks with Elisabeth Moss for the actress to star in its retelling of “Invisible Man.”

Sources say the negotiations are in the extremely early stages, but if they were to move forward, Moss would star in the film with “Upgrade” filmmaker Leigh Whannell writing and directing. Sources also indicate that Johnny Depp, who was originally tapped to play the title character, will not be involved.

Whannell, who is co-producing, has previously worked with Blumhouse Productions on hit films including “Insidious: The Last Key” and “Upgrade.”

Plot details are unknown, but the film marks the first major venture in the studio’s fresh strategy for Universal’s monsters properties, bringing creative directors with distinctive visions to the classic characters and moving on from the original idea to have an interconnected “Dark Universe.” Universal has tabled the idea of an interconnected universe and is reassessing how to keep the enduring characters relevant for a new generation.

Moss can be seen next in Universal’s “Us,” Jordan Peele’s highly anticipated “Get Out” follow-up, which also stars Lupita Nyong’o and Winston Duke. She’ll then star in the rock drama “Her Smell” and also has the New Line pic “The Kitchen” bowing later this year.

She is also returning for the third season of the Emmy-winning “The Handmaid’s Tale,” which is expected to premiere this summer.

Moss is repped by WME, Independent Talent Group and Ribisi Entertainment Group.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/u...an-1203153172/
Old 05-20-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

'Invisible Man' Sets a 2020 Release Date

Universal has materialized a release date for its remake of The Invisible Man.

The studio has set a March 13, 2020 opening for the movie, with principal photography set to begin July in Sydney, Australia.

Elisabeth Moss and Storm Reid are toplining the horror thriller that has a script from Leigh Whannel, the co-creator of Saw. Whanell, who is Australian, will direct and executive produce.

Invisible will be produced by Jason Blum for his Blumhouse Productions and by Kylie du Fresne (Upgrade) for Goalpost Pictures.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...e-date-1212421
Old 05-20-19, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I want to see Depp do Jack Sparrow as the Invisible Man.
Old 07-12-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Invisible Man (2020, D: Leigh Whannell)

Blumhouse & Universal Find Their ‘Invisible Man’ In Oliver Jackson-Cohen

EXCLUSIVE: The Haunting of Hill House star Oliver Jackson-Cohen has scored the title role in Universal/Blumhouse’s The Invisible Man which begins production this month in Sydney, Australia.
https://deadline.com/2019/07/blumhou...en-1202645510/
Old 07-12-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
No Chevy Chase, no sale!
Memoirs of an Invisible Man is actually an underrated flick. I’m not sure if Chase was the exact right casting for the part but I think he pulled it off well enough and the effects actually hold up, for the most part.

It should be placed in Carpenter’s top tier films, IMO.
Old 07-12-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't go so far as to say "top tier" but it is definitely underrated. If it was nearly anyone but Chase it might be remembered more fondly.
Old 07-12-19, 01:02 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It’s also extremely hard to find. If people could see it they might change their minds.
Old 07-12-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I wouldn't go so far as to say "top tier" but it is definitely underrated. If it was nearly anyone but Chase it might be remembered more fondly.
Ok, maybe not top tier. Middle tier? Lower top tier? It’s a decent movie, is all I’m saying. Certainly not on the level of Halloween, The Thing, or The Fog but I’d put it squarely alongside They Live or Starman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.