Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What factors entice you to see a movie in the theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What factors entice you to see a movie in the theater?
The premise (I have to be interested in the story)
64.86%
The actors
29.73%
Behind the scenes creative people (director, producer, writers)
35.14%
Popularity (if it's a box office smash and the talk of the town)
16.22%
Reviews on boards/Facebook from my peers
8.11%
Rotton Tomatoes score/Movie critics reviews
21.62%
Being able to go with a date/wife/friends who also want to see it
8.11%
Other
35.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

vs waiting months for it to come to DVD/BD, Digital HD, Netflix or cable?

This is a multiple pick poll.

For me it's the premise/genre and actors.

A movie could have a 99% RT score, but if it's a British period piece or dialogue-driven political drama, I would have zero interest in seeing it still.

I usually like to see science fiction, comic, big budget action movies in the theater. Once in a while I'll see a smaller scale movie in the theater.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-15-16 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: What factors entice you to see a movie in the theater?

if a movie won't see a physical media/digital/ streaming release for sometime and has a very small theatrical window, I usually do what I can to see it.

Case in point the 2 Vancouver Cinematheque's will often show films very few times. Sometimes as little as 2 or 3 screenings. Right now I'm trying my best to get out to see the doc's Hitchcock/Truffaut, De Palma and Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words as I don't feel like waiting months to see them.

I'll also see a film in the theater if I think the best experience will be to see it on the big screen. Sometimes I'll even go see a movie in theaters I otherwise wouldn't watch just because the theater experience can add a visceral effect. For instance I hate all the MCU movies, but usually see some of the bigger ones because they're good for some explosions and big action scenes on the big screen.

I like seeing good and bad horror films in theaters too especially with a big crowd that gets really into it.

I also just love going to the movies, so if theres a movie I'm interested in I'll always try seeing it on the big screen first.
Old 01-15-16, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I go to a lot of free sneak previews that studios offer me tickets to, so I'll go to most that I would have rented when they came out on DVD/blu. I rarely pay for most movies I see, with the exception of some blockbusters like Star Wars that I wasn't able to score free tickets to.
Old 01-15-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Certain actors and directors perk my ears up, but if it looks cool, I'm in. And honestly, that policy has only burned me 2-3 times in 39 years of moviegoing. I'm pretty forgiving of even "bad" movies - because something must have looked cool to me to get me there so at least I'll enjoy that part.
Old 01-15-16, 02:21 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many factors.

In order...

The premise
Behind the scenes creative people (director, producer, writers) The producer matters fuck all to me though.
Rotton Tomatoes score/Movie critics reviews
The actors

Example. Paddington Bear. I like the character fine. He's a cute bear and he does things. Ok, whatever. THe trailers for it were absolutely horrible. The RT score though? Was amazing. Turns out it was a fucking great movie. An actual good kids/family film. One that isn't dialling it down for the stupidest of fucks. Great fucking film. I need to get that BD cuz I think they had it for sale BF but I missed out on it from Amazon.
Old 01-15-16, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Nowadays the main factor is whether or not I'll be able to see it at home accurately. I saw the last Hobbit movie only because it was in high frame rate, and I wanted to see what it looked like as the first 2 were already on disc in plain old 24 frames per second (I laughed at most of it, as it looked like something that would've been on PBS in the 80s, but that's how it was shot. They should've at least had it in 30fps on disc). I saw a few of the first "current" 3D movies in theaters too before I had a 3D TV at home.

I'd go to a LOT more movies if we had a real BIG screen theater here. Instead they keep building pathetically small ones that aren't worth my time or money.
Old 01-15-16, 03:11 AM
Banned

You have a job that pays you now?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-15-16 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 06:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I used to go to the theater all the time and thought I'd never change. But to get me in the theater now it pretty much has to be a free or heavily discounted ticket, except for 'big events' like a Star Wars or comic book film. For 99% of films, I'd rather wait for the $5-10 bluray and own it forever, than pay $30 per more (wife and kid) to see it in the theater once.
Old 01-15-16, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I actually find this sad for myself after 40+ years of movie fandom but based on the last several years of tracking my movie going habits it breaks down to this:

1. Is it a Marvel movie?
2. Is it some iteration of the Rocky franchise?

Everything else I just wait to get the blu-ray and watch at home.
Old 01-15-16, 07:25 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I used to go to the theater all the time and thought I'd never change. But to get me in the theater now it pretty much has to be a free or heavily discounted ticket, except for 'big events' like a Star Wars or comic book film. For 99% of films, I'd rather wait for the $5-10 bluray and own it forever, than pay $30 per more (wife and kid) to see it in the theater once.
For me, I go usually on a Saturday morning around 10am and it is $7.50. Not too bad a price. On the rare occasion my girlfriend wants to see something, we'll go at night and it'll probably be $20 or so total. A friend of mine who lives in LA came for a visit and we were talking about going out to the movies and he explained how he doesn't go see them often anymore either because of the cost. For him, at night, it can be $15/$20 for a ticket (time 2 if taking his lady), plus parking, plus snacks or dinner. So it could end up being a $100+ night to go. I never really though about it that way. He'll eventually see something if it makes it's way to the $2 dollar theatre. Living in a major city is pricey for these things.
Old 01-15-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

These days unless it has the words "Star Wars" somewhere in the title, I'm probably fine to wait for home release.
Old 01-15-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

If I want to see it now and if I want to eat popcorn.
Old 01-15-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

For me, "OTHER":

I don't want my moviegoing experience to be ruined by other moviegoers. I don't want chatty folks. I don't want kids on their cell phones. I don't want folks talking back at the screen. I want to either have the theatre to myself OR be there with other people who want to see the movie.

Since I cannot control *why* others are there, I choose to go only if I can control *whether* others are there. For that reason, I will only go to a matinee, and then preferably mid-week when schools are in session. That way the only people I have to share the theater with are geezers (like me).
Old 01-15-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

There are movies that need to be seen in a theater. This includes movies I don't want to get spoiled for me. I hate having to tiptoe through social media to avoid spoilers.
Old 01-15-16, 09:54 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

To me the only things that will entice me to see a movie in the theater are the premise of the movie and the ability to see it with my wife who is also interested in seeing that same movie. But both of those are typically cancelled out by the price. Movie theaters have gotten so ridiculously expensive these days that I'll either wait for the dollar theater to get it or wait until it comes out on physical media so (like Trevor) I can own it forever.
Old 01-15-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I guess it depends on your area but spend $5 or $6 at the AMC during matinees. There's also a Cinemark that's $4.25 before 6pm.
Old 01-15-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The director
Old 01-15-16, 10:51 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

big, loud, fx heavy movie that i'd want to watch anyway that my puny home theater couldn't do it justice
Old 01-15-16, 11:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I guess it depends on your area but spend $5 or $6 at the AMC during matinees. There's also a Cinemark that's $4.25 before 6pm.
I might see more if the prices were this low, but our matinees are $10.25. I'm at a stage where I can't imagine wanting to see a film alone, so that's $20.50/$30.75 minimum (if just wife or all three of us) before snacks, which are hard for us to resist at a theater. We do have a local cheap theater, but even that is $6.50 a ticket with similarly high concession prices.
Old 01-15-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Other - I don't want a movie to be spoiled if I think the premise is interesting. Another reason is if my kids want to see a movie there are usually only a couple of choices or sometimes only one.
Old 01-15-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Depends on the story and if it looks cool or not. I also tend to only do reserved seating theaters. That's pretty much it.
Old 01-15-16, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Depends on the story and if it looks cool or not. I also tend to only do reserved seating theaters. That's pretty much it.
Fancy fucker.
Old 01-15-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-15-16, 01:15 PM
Banned

I always think the butter dispenser goes too slow cuz the stream is small. But I butter the ever loving fuck out of my popcorn. I'll fat fuck that popcorn gleefully.
Old 01-15-16, 01:53 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big explosions, good CGI, visual effects. It speaks more of how much my home entertainment system sucks than the factor to go to the theater.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.