Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Post movies that changed Hollywood.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Post movies that changed Hollywood.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Post movies that changed Hollywood.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Do you mean the classic fun montage w/ the music and such (Rocky style) or just training montage as a general?
the music-lined training montage... which later spawned the classic fun montage with music

On a similar note, does First Blood/Rambo get credit for the "gearing up" montage?
Old 12-31-15, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-31-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

It'll be fun coming back to this thread in a decade and seeing a lot of broken images with no context.

I'd say Harry Potter ushered in a new era of movie franchises built on an existing children/YA novel series.
Old 12-31-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Also, another black and white film from an ambitious 20-something filmmaker:

And for the record, neither of them one an Oscar for best picture.

Last edited by PatD; 12-31-15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-31-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

3 pages in and no one posted this:

Old 12-31-15, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somebody already mentioned it. No image but they mentioned it w/ a reason why or whatever.
Old 01-01-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
3 pages in and no one posted this:

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Gone with the Wind: Set the template for all blockbusters that followed and is still the highest grossing film in history (adjusted for inflation).
Old 01-01-16, 12:17 AM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Surprised this was a casual mention. This thing was HUGE in building the spring/summer blockbuster mentality
Old 01-01-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Jaws is the movie that really created the modern idea of a summer blockbuster in Hollywood. It is what led to the creation of "event" movies intended for summer audiences. It paved the way for several years of major box office forces like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Those films are marketed much differently if Jaws (1975) had never come around and had its box office success.

Another important film is The Little Mermaid in 1989. Disney's animation studio had lapsed into a very bad run of lesser animated movies and The Little Mermaid revitalized the entire company, leading to a string of major animated successes in the 1990s. It was the last hurrah for traditional cel animation in Hollywood.
Old 01-01-16, 01:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Cow

Surprised this was a casual mention. This thing was HUGE in building the spring/summer blockbuster mentality
I just don't think there's much to say... it's JAWS. That pretty much says it all cuz Jaws is such an amazing thing to happened to...well.... Film as a general. It's history in production is itself an amazing thing.

Jaws is just one of those films where just saying it is enough said for me considering the thread topic.
Old 01-01-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

A Post movie that changed Hollywood by putting the final nail in Costner's megastardom and saved us from years and years of more bloated big-bugdet Costner epics.
Old 01-01-16, 10:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry I can't remember their names (getting old), but in TV interviews, a couple of Hollywood pros cited these movies:

Rocky (1976): Not for the montage itself, but for that iconic shot of Rocky climbing the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The interviewee said that shot "sold" Hollywood on the Steadicam: the camera used to film that scene without any bumps or shaking.

The Wiz (1978): The subject claimed it was this movie that killed the blaxploitation genre.

Last edited by digidoh; 01-01-16 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-01-16, 11:18 AM
Banned

Hrmm... from what I've read.. seems like Blaxploitation kind of killed itself.

Never saw the Wiz... I know what it is... but I wonder how The Wiz could affect the genre? Cuz it was more of the positive black role model or... what?
Old 01-01-16, 12:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees

A Post movie that changed Hollywood by putting the final nail in Costner's megastardom and saved us from years and years of more bloated big-bugdet Costner epics.
ha. just got this on bluray...
Old 01-01-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 01-01-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Jaws is the movie that really created the modern idea of a summer blockbuster in Hollywood. It is what led to the creation of "event" movies intended for summer audiences. It paved the way for several years of major box office forces like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Those films are marketed much differently if Jaws (1975) had never come around and had its box office success.
Additionally (and correct me if I'm wrong here), but before Jaws, wasn't summer kind of the "dumping ground" for film releases? Sort of the same mentality as summer reruns on television? I guess the thought was summer was the time for outdoors activities, baseball, etc, and that no one went to the movies. Jaws changed all that.
Old 01-01-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

This is only about 20 posts short of the previous Oldboy thread on the same topic.

Movies that changed movies?
Old 01-01-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Additionally (and correct me if I'm wrong here), but before Jaws, wasn't summer kind of the "dumping ground" for film releases? Sort of the same mentality as summer reruns on television? I guess the thought was summer was the time for outdoors activities, baseball, etc, and that no one went to the movies. Jaws changed all that.
It wasn't Jaws, it was air conditioning:
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/ac.htm
The extraordinary influence of Carrier's invention on American society is illustrated by its introduction into movie theaters in the 1920s. The film industry had a problem. Summertime's hot, sticky temperatures combined with the natural body heat of an audience crammed into a confined space to create an insufferable environment for movie-goers. As a result, the theaters saw the size of their audience, and consequently the size of their profits, slump during the summer months. Willis Carrier's invention offered a cool solution.

In 1925, Carrier persuaded the Paramount Pictures Corporation to install his system in the Rivoli Theater - their flagship movie house under construction on Times Square in New York City. The system was ready for its test with an actual audience by the theater's opening on Memorial Day. The experiment was an outstanding success. People flocked to the Rivoli – as many to enjoy the cool relief from the heat as to see the movie. Over the next five years, Carrier installed his climate control technology in 300 movie theaters across the country. Air conditioning transformed the summer months from a financial write-off for the movie industry to its most profitable season of the year.
Old 01-01-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
This is only about 20 posts short of the previous Oldboy thread on the same topic.

Movies that changed movies?
What Oldboy Threads Have Influenced New Oldboy Threads?
Old 01-01-16, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by digidoh
Sorry I can't remember their names (getting old), but in TV interviews, a couple of Hollywood pros cited these movies:

Rocky (1976): Not for the montage itself, but for that iconic shot of Rocky climbing the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The interviewee said that shot "sold" Hollywood on the Steadicam: the camera used to film that scene without any bumps or shaking.

The Wiz (1978): The subject claimed it was this movie that killed the blaxploitation genre.
Blaxploitation was long dead by 1978. By 1975 only Fred Williamson was still making these films but they were so cheap and tawdry, they nailed the final coffin into the genre. Think cheapo productions like ADIOS AMIGO and MEAN JOHNNY BARROWS.
Old 01-01-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Most of the obvious one are already posted so The Ring?

Can't the dumbing down(PG-13-ifying) of the horror genre be traced back to its success?
I would argue that it showed you can make a great, creepy as hell horror movie without blood and gore.
Old 01-01-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
People packed the drive-ins during the summer. On Friday and Saturday nights there would be cops directing traffic into and out of the drive-ins. If you had other business you avoided going past the drive-in so as not to get caught in the traffic. Drive-ins didn't catch on till after WWII though. Also, this was before cable and home video. If a movie played in the summer you had to catch it or it'd may gone forever. It was not uncommon for a drive-in to get exclusive first run of a major film either. The biggest hiy of summer '67, Dirty Dozen, was drive-in only in our town.
Prior to Jaws Christmas was the blockbuster season, although abrieviated(sp?) and less strategized.
Christmas just prior to Jaws was The Towering Inferno. Except for a half dozen or so films planned for Christmas the rest of the year was pretty consistent as far as releases went. There was no "dead" or "off" season.
Old 01-01-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hrmm... from what I've read.. seems like Blaxploitation kind of killed itself.

Never saw the Wiz... I know what it is... but I wonder how The Wiz could affect the genre? Cuz it was more of the positive black role model or... what?
The Blaxploitation genre seemed to wane mostly from lack of interest. It was an amusing novelty for a while, but I think it just wore off and audiences moved on to other things.
Old 01-01-16, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Outside the three Hobbit films, has there really been that many pure Fantasy films after LOTR than before?

Seems the LOTR and Hobbit movies are just success outliers, rather than setting trend.
I'd say the actual scope of production was unheard of prior to LOTOR. Three mega-budget films being created at once was a huge gamble for New Line Cinema and everyone involved, though New Line eventually fell apart afterwards.
Old 01-01-16, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I'd say the actual scope of production was unheard of prior to LOTOR. Three mega-budget films being created at once was a huge gamble for New Line Cinema and everyone involved, though New Line eventually fell apart afterwards.
Nah, the Wizard of Oz did it all way before in 1 film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.