Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
11.90%
21.43%
29.76%
10.71%
11.90%
10.71%
1.19%
1.19%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a "horror" film but it's definitely a "giallo" picture.
I would say both. As the film progresses Daisy with her deception becomes a combination of Regan from the Exorcist, one of the possessed females from Evil Dead and The Thing.
Old 01-02-16, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno about all that.
Old 01-02-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I would say both. As the film progresses Daisy with her deception becomes a combination of Regan from the Exorcist, one of the possessed females from Evil Dead and The Thing.
I can go with Deadites more than Regan. Also that 360 shot was great.
Old 01-03-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but my friend noticed that in the closing credits, one of the songs in the movie is Regan's Theme, from Morricone's Exorcist II soundtrack.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oRV9qHdujMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-03-16, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^Previous page. The song plays during the closeup of the horses. It ended up having a Great Silence vibe to me when it played.

While we're on the musical tip, Crystal Gale's song was in the extended cut (Plays right before the start of chapter 4) Deleted in the wide-release version.

And what was the line that got the biggest laugh out of your audience? For me, it was (Pertaining to old men) Ruth's "You can kick 'em down the stairs, but you just can't shoot them".
Old 01-03-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Saw it last night at Muvico Thousand Oaks in stadium seating. Not sure which cut of it was presented, but overall my reaction after 1st viewing in a word..."underwhelmed". Maybe future viewing will improve my outlook. As most of the movie took place in that cabin, the pacing seemed a bit too slow for me. But I suppose I'm used to seeing a lot more moving parts and side-stories going on in QT movies. Still a very good movie, and I absolutely love a QT-SLJ pairing. Was glad I saw it, but as I walked out I couldn't help but think how much more I enjoyed Django.
Old 01-03-16, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Saw it last night at Muvico Thousand Oaks in stadium seating. Not sure which cut of it was presented, but overall my reaction after 1st viewing in a word..."underwhelmed". Maybe future viewing will improve my outlook. As most of the movie took place in that cabin, the pacing seemed a bit too slow for me. But I suppose I'm used to seeing a lot more moving parts and side-stories going on in QT movies. Still a very good movie, and I absolutely love a QT-SLJ pairing. Was glad I saw it, but as I walked out I couldn't help but think how much more I enjoyed Django.
You don"t know which cut you saw?

The roadshow version runs for three hours and two minutes, and includes an overture and intermission, while the general release is six minutes shorter and contains alternate takes of some scenes.
Added note: The Roadshow is 70mm. So that's a big difference too.

There's no way in being confused about this.
Old 01-03-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can go with Deadites more than Regan.
What the fuck is a deadite? Oh I looked it up, nevermind.

Last edited by inri222; 01-03-16 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-03-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You don"t know which cut you saw?

Added note: The Roadshow is 70mm. So that's a big difference too.

There's no way in being confused about this.
Then it was the shorter cut w/no intermission.
Old 01-04-16, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I just saw it for the second time, in digital this time, and I picked out at least one scene from the 70mm cut which was missing. In this cut, we just come back and see Bob plucking the chicken with no other exposition. The scene where Ruth finds the half plucked chicken, asks about it, and instructs Bob to finish plucking it isn't in the general release cut.

Also, a little story that QT would appreciate. There were absolutely no issues with my 70mm screening last week. Today, in digital, the screen went blank in the very last scene, right after Daisy was hung. We got about 20 seconds of audio after that with no video. Then it just stopped all together, and we had nothing for at least a minute. There must have been someone in the booth (maybe because it was the last screening of the night and they were that to shut everything down?) though, because right as I was about to get up and flag someone down, it came back on and replayed the last scene.
Old 01-04-16, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I really enjoyed the film. The runtime actually seemed to go quickly for me. My brother-in-law and I were both surprised when the Final Chapter graphic came up, because it seemed too soon. The only thing that really annoyed me is that with a movie this long, there should be no need for narration to tell us things we missed.

It seemed pretty clear to me that the
Spoiler:
Lincoln letter was indeed a fake
, especially after the conversation at the end. Also, I took the story about the
Spoiler:
General's son
as a lie.
Old 01-04-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught this yesterday afternoon at the Irvine Spectrum. Looks like there were no more programs since it is well into its second week. Is there any way of picking one up elsewhere? Also, the 70mm presentation was GORGEOUS! While most of the film's second half is basically shot in a single space, I still think the format was used very well. Just being able to see the details of the woodgrain and things like snowflakes drifting into the room with such clarity made you feel like you were right there.

The movie itself: I will say I enjoyed it much more than IB and Django. For some reason, I couldn't get into either of those films much and I keep trying to re-watch and see what I'm missing. Seeing this with an audience, however, makes all the difference. I don't think I would have appreciated this film nearly as much watching this at home by myself (my wife is NOT a fan).

If you are on the fence, I say give it a chance and definitely see the 70mm presentation.
Old 01-04-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jippy
Caught this yesterday afternoon at the Irvine Spectrum. Looks like there were no more programs since it is well into its second week. Is there any way of picking one up elsewhere? Also, the 70mm presentation was GORGEOUS! While most of the film's second half is basically shot in a single space, I still think the format was used very well. Just being able to see the details of the woodgrain and things like snowflakes drifting into the room with such clarity made you feel like you were right there.

The movie itself: I will say I enjoyed it much more than IB and Django. For some reason, I couldn't get into either of those films much and I keep trying to re-watch and see what I'm missing. Seeing this with an audience, however, makes all the difference. I don't think I would have appreciated this film nearly as much watching this at home by myself (my wife is NOT a fan).

If you are on the fence, I say give it a chance and definitely see the 70mm presentation.
I'm seeing it Wednesday again at the Sherman Oaks Arclight in 70mm. Hollywood/Sherman Oaks have in 70 mm through this week.
Old 01-04-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I just saw it for the second time, in digital this time, and I picked out at least one scene from the 70mm cut which was missing. In this cut, we just come back and see Bob plucking the chicken with no other exposition. The scene where Ruth finds the half plucked chicken, asks about it, and instructs Bob to finish plucking it isn't in the general release cut.

Cool. I'm glad to know what's missing from the wide-theatrical release. Also, that scene is something that I distinctly remember not liking much (it just kind of feels out of place) so that omission is okay by me.

I went and saw the Roadshow for the second time. I liked the movie just as much if not more this time around. I plan on seeing the other cut at some point. And I can't say for sure but I think that I like this better than Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained.
Old 01-05-16, 01:27 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

The more I think about it,
Spoiler:
I think the Lincoln Letter is real

while everything else is a lie because it's the only thing he admits is a lie. Everything else presented as real is the lie.
Old 01-05-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jippy
I will say I enjoyed it much more than IB and Django.
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
And I can't say for sure but I think that I like this better than Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained.
I agree and I'd also say that H8 is better than Kill Bill.
Old 01-05-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by story
both ended up being major marquis warren. I'd make a trade for daisy, though.
ygpm
Old 01-05-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Spoiler:

while everything else is a lie because it's the only thing he admits is a lie. Everything else presented as real is the lie.
That has been my thought also
Old 01-05-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:

"Mary Todd...that's a nice touch."

FAKE!

Old 01-05-16, 05:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

"Mary Todd...that's a nice touch."

FAKE!

that's what tipped me since i went unconscious for a bit in the beginning...
Old 01-05-16, 06:09 PM

That's JUST what they WANT you to think!

I guess we won't know the truth until The Hateful Eight 2: The Search for More Money.
Old 01-05-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

People who thought this film was too slow should probably stay away from any film made before 1975. I don't mind a "slow paced" film when there is so much happening on the screen.

I thought it was fantastic and agree it was Tarantino's best since Jackie Brown. Way better than Django, which is probably his weakest film.
Old 01-07-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Finally got to see the 70mm Roadshow version, and I'm fucking pissed!

Movie was fine, it was exactly what I thought it would be. No, I'm pissed because not only did they move the 70mm version from the Imax screen (as it had said on the fucking ticket I bought) to a much smaller regular screen, they were out of programs, so I didn't get the fucking program I was so looking forward to. Oh, and they still charged the same fucking price as when it was in the Imax theater and giving out programs. What a fuckin' gyp!
Old 01-07-16, 12:34 AM

Did you speak with management about that? At least the price/screen issue is enough to get some money back.
Old 01-07-16, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I asked about the program and some lowly employee just said they ran out. I was with friends, didn't see any management around and didn't think of the money thing until later, and then I got even more pissed!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.