Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
11.90%
21.43%
29.76%
10.71%
11.90%
10.71%
1.19%
1.19%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Other films it reminds me of are Old Dark House and Key Largo.
Old 12-31-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
that's what tipped me...
As opposed to his admitting it was fake and explaining exactly why he would carry around a fake Lincoln letter and show it off to everyone? Because that's pretty compelling evidence as well.
Old 12-31-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Other films it reminds me of are Old Dark House and Key Largo.
Key Largo was even mentioned in the Nolan interview with QT in the other H8 thread here.

Anyone else surprised to hear Regan's Theme make an appearance?
Old 12-31-15, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Anyone else surprised to hear Regan's Theme make an appearance?
I didn't notice that one, though I did see it in the credits. The Thing cue, though, made me giddy.
Old 12-31-15, 05:08 PM

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,128 Posts

We saw a 70mm roadshow matinee today and we both really liked it. Slooooow burn, that's for sure, but I dig that. We got there maybe 1-2 minutes late and we didn't see the opening credits - something that's really rare for us - and it paid off. We had no idea that

Spoiler:
Channing Tatum

is in this film and we were completely caught by surprise, and that was awesome!

I don't know how much repeat viewing this one will garner from me given how much surprise plays a role that first time watching it, but I definitely thought as an unfolding story, it was worth experiencing and I'm glad we had a 70mm roadshow in the neighborhood and a mutual day off to take it in without having to worry about a babysitter for such a long movie.

I think Christoph Wal-- er, Tim Roth was good, too. Seriously, though, it's like that part is meant for Waltz but since it's so small the 2-time Academy Award-winner skips it and second banana Tim Roth steps up to the plate.
Old 12-31-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by story
We saw a 70mm roadshow matinee today and we both really liked it. Slooooow burn, that's for sure, but I dig that. We got there maybe 1-2 minutes late and we didn't see the opening credits - something that's really rare for us
Were you able to find a decent seat? People who waked into our screening as the movie was starting all had to sit in the front, and this was for an 11 AM show.

Also, possibly the reason why you may have missed the start of this movie when you normally don't is that there weren't any trailers in front of it, just the overture.
Old 12-31-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
As opposed to his admitting it was fake and explaining exactly why he would carry around a fake Lincoln letter and show it off to everyone? Because that's pretty compelling evidence as well.
OldBoy has already admitted that he may have dozed off during that particular scene.
Old 12-31-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I think Christoph Wal-- er, Tim Roth was good, too. Seriously, though, it's like that part is meant for Waltz but since it's so small the 2-time Academy Award-winner skips it and second banana Tim Roth steps up to the plate.
It sure felt like a Waltz role, but he probably passed on it because of SPECTRE commitments rather than the size of the part.
Old 12-31-15, 05:47 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

It sure felt like a Waltz role, but he probably passed on it because of SPECTRE commitments rather than the size of the part.
Yeah, I don't think Waltz would pass on anything Tarantino offered him. Waltz has QT to thank for his Hollywood acting career.
Old 12-31-15, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

According to IMDb, Christoph Waltz was rumored to play John Ruth, the role that went to Kurt Russell. I never read the script (I don't do that for Tarantino films), but if Waltz was to play Mobray, I'm sure he would have been written in as German, not English.

I think it's more of a case of Roth kinda channeling Waltz' acting style.
Old 12-31-15, 06:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I liked it quite a bit, but I'd rank it as Tarantino's worst or second worst, which isn't an insult with a portfolio like his.

The oddly placed narration in the second half was totally unnecessary. I felt like there should have been more Show and less Tell, throughout, but especially in those narrated moments.

I definitely need to see it again to see if I still feel that way. Right now, I'd say it's a solid 3/5.

Oh, and if anyone has an extra Roadshow program, please please please hook me up! There was no 70mm option here.

Last edited by Dan; 12-31-15 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-31-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the 11am roadshow this morning, but they never passed out any program. I would have loved to have one.

Anyway, I love this movie. I can't place it yet in my ranking of his movies, but I know I like it much better than Django already. It is a beautifully shot and scored film, and that definitely his best work as a director. I can't believe people compare this to Death Proof, which was easily his worst film.

I also saw a lot of Inglourious Basterds in this movie, the interrogation and basement scenes come to mind.
Old 12-31-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I loved the score and cinematography. There were some compositions that almost made look like horror.
Yeah, the scenes where Leigh looks up at the camera, especially with blood on her face, make her look almost deliberately demonic. Robert Richardson deserves an Oscar for this.
Old 12-31-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Yeah, I don't think Waltz would pass on anything Tarantino offered him. Waltz has QT to thank for his Hollywood acting career.
Originally Posted by Paff
According to IMDb, Christoph Waltz was rumored to play John Ruth, the role that went to Kurt Russell. I never read the script (I don't do that for Tarantino films), but if Waltz was to play Mobray, I'm sure he would have been written in as German, not English.

I think it's more of a case of Roth kinda channeling Waltz' acting style.
Although it certainly seems like Roth is channeling Waltz, QT has gone on record saying he wrote the part of Mobray for Roth. But I agree some of his inflections and grinning responses felt like Waltz.

Originally Posted by Lastblade
I saw the 11am roadshow this morning, but they never passed out any program. I would have loved to have one.
I grabbed a few because I am greedy. If you'd like one, and feel comfortable giving an internet stranger your address, I'll mail you one. Joe Gage is the centerfold.
Old 12-31-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your offer islandclaws, I will send you a pm.
Old 01-01-16, 12:44 AM

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Weird moment getting our programs today:

As we were getting our tickets torn, a guy walked up to the ticket taker (an old guy who's been at the theater forever, the kind of guy who probably used to be in the projector booth in the heyday of 70mm) and said he didn't get a program. The ticket taker balked, said he couldn't just give them to everybody. With that, he gives one to me, but not my wife. Then he gives one to the guy who says he also wants one for his girlfriend and the ticket taker says no. My wife says she'll take one and he says no. She says it's one per ticket, I paid for the ticket, you're giving me the program. I can tell he's almost out, like less than five left in the case, but she's got a point. Why is he withholding them from people with their ticket in-hand? We both get ours, and he doesn't look happy. He gives the guy one for his girlfriend and mumbles something not-so-happy.

It was an odd moment all-around. I think if the guy hadn't come up to get his program(s) at the same moment we were getting ours, we would've gotten two without any hassle.

Both ended up being Major Marquis Warren. I'd make a trade for Daisy, though.
Old 01-01-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. It's the best QT movie since Jackie Brown.
Old 01-01-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD
You've just made pals with Inri!

I'm seeing it again tomorrow afternoon (Digital)
Old 01-01-16, 02:21 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw it in 70mm yesterday.

Holy fuck was that a gorgeous screen.

It's a long fucking movie. Not long to where I'm bored... just longer than I anticipated... even w/ knowing the run time. I was just... thinking at times about when the fuck this thing would end cuz it kept introducing other things that I didn't expect. Hahahaha.

Visually...wow. My screening had no issues. There were some scenes where there was some diffusion based on the focus but that's just the way that works out. No weird out of focus stuff from the projection or whatever.

I didn't mind the narration. And it wasn't for what we could have missed. It was to set up what we had missed based on the timeline of the film.

I loved it. It kept bring shit in that I just didn't see coming. Setting character or scene mood by what we were seeing and then understanding the emotions and all that.

It's not my favorite QT film and I don't know where to place it but... I had a blast w/ it.
Old 01-01-16, 10:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I saw a matinee showing yesterday of the Roadshow version as well. Loved nearly everything about it. From the opening credits, you know you're going to be in for 3 hours of doom and gloom. Wonderful score, cinematography, acting and story. JJL really shines in the final act. Jackson and Goggins were solid throughout. And was happy to see Russell channel his inner Jack Burton. . Also, to the David Hess song.
Old 01-01-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
As SLJ would say : You're motherfuckin right it is.

Originally Posted by Geofferson
And was happy to see Russell channel his inner Jack Burton.
Mixed with a bit of John Wayne and Yosemite Sam.
Old 01-01-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Movie was alright, I think after nearly three hours I was simply expecting a different conclusion.
Old 01-01-16, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
And speaking of Daisy and the camera, I can't wait to see that guitar sequence again. *I couldn't catch how the camera-movement was able to constantly retain her in the foreground while the cabin's locations shifted in the background.
After re-watching it earlier, a very tiny movement from the camera was all that was needed. I was under the impression that the front door was about 15 feet away from the coffee. Them wide lenses sure do come in handy!

And the 2:70 scope was very noticable in my multiplex. It felt like I was watching a non-anamorphic DVD on a giant screen.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 01-01-16 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-02-16, 09:15 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I maintain that The Hateful Eight is a horror movie.
After watching the last hour of the film, it kind of is a horror movie. Tarantino basically goes b-movie in the final act.

I'm sure it turned some people off. I liked it, but thought he overdid it a little bit.
Old 01-02-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a "horror" film but it's definitely a "giallo" picture.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.