Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
12.05%
21.69%
28.92%
10.84%
12.05%
10.84%
1.20%
1.20%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

Q: Was that Tarantino's voice doing the narration?
Yes.
Old 12-26-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
For me this was a quick three hours. This is coming from someone who feels that Django could use a 30 minute trim

Nowhere near as long and dull as I was led to believe. The only time I got worried that it would happen was when Oswald's speeches were involved (The only time in the movie that I came close to zoning out) Other than that, this was such a nice breeze for me.
Unlike others here, this will get many repeated viewings from me. Basterds is my 3rd favorite film by QT and it already appears that this one will soon leap over it. I think I had even already been won over by the film with that killer opening-credits sequence.
Old 12-26-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Absolutely loved it
Was a bit worried going in and seeing the mixed reviews but this is everything I want in a QT movie and one of the only directors/writers that will put my ass in a cinema seat with each release

sorry if it has been asked but do we know what the extra footage was that won't be in the 35mm cut?

also one question in terms of the story
Spoiler:
if Minnie hated Mexicans so much why no reaction when "Bob" arrived? Are we to assume she did not know he was Mexican?
Old 12-27-15, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by musick

also one question in terms of the story
Spoiler:
if Minnie hated Mexicans so much why no reaction when "Bob" arrived? Are we to assume she did not know he was Mexican?
Spoiler:
SLJ indicated that maybe she would tolerate a Mexican in her establishment and might even employ one, but there's no way she'd ever leave her place in the care of one.
Old 12-27-15, 01:35 AM

Saw it this morning in a Roadshow production. Very cool to get a program with the movie. Also I saw Teller there (of Penn & Teller), so that's a pretty good celebrity sighting for Vegas.

I've been wrestling with the movie all day. I guess I liked it. I was engaged with the story and was never bored, but it was kind of ugly and sadistic. I wish it had a little heart or redemption or something more.
And I didn't think 70MM added much. Most of it was dark and in a single room. I had missed the flickering light you get from celluloid projections (and burn marks on single frames), so that was a nice throwback. Honestly, I doubt I'd really have missed much if I caught a digital projection instead.

Having said that, as a guy in his late 40s, let me go on record and say : Intermissions in movies over 2 hours of length are Da Bomb. I could get very used to them.
Old 12-27-15, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Having said that, as a guy in his late 40s, let me go on record and say : Intermissions in movies over 2 hours of length are Da Bomb. I could get very used to them.
I took my dad with me (Loves westerns and Tarantino) and he gladly welcomed that intermission. Although I was disappointed that there was no music to accompany it.

And I didn't think 70MM added much. Most of it was dark and in a single room. I had missed the flickering light you get from celluloid projections (and burn marks on single frames), so that was a nice throwback.
Since I sat at the top-middle of the stadium, I have to admit that it was cool as hell to hear that vintage projector rumbling away during the quiet moments of the movie.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 12-27-15 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 720 Posts

Also I saw Teller there (of Penn & Teller), so that's a pretty good celebrity sighting for Vegas.
What'd he say about it?

I had missed the flickering light you get from celluloid projections (and burn marks on single frames)
"Cigarette burns"? You shouldn't have seen them; this was shipped to theaters completely assembled, so it won't get damaged by projectionists handling the print.
Old 12-27-15, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
What'd he say about it?

"Cigarette burns"? You shouldn't have seen them; this was shipped to theaters completely assembled, so it won't get damaged by projectionists handling the print.
The showing at the Coolidge Corner theatre in Boston had them as well.
Old 12-27-15, 10:34 AM

What'd he say about it?
I didn't discuss the movie with him. I used to sort of know Penn years ago, but that was the first time I'd ever seen Teller outside of a stage (or heard him speak, ever). I did talk to him briefly when I happened to run into him at intermission (in the hallway, not the bathroom), but just to tell him my family and I really enjoyed the production of The Tempest that he directed and staged last year in Vegas. He seemed genuinely surprised and touched by that, so that was kind of cool. Yet another reason to like intermission!
Old 12-27-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope to all hell with the home video release we get this cover art

Poster Art:

I think we've been pretty lucky with QT releases not to get a bunch of photoshopped heads as cover art
Old 12-27-15, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not the standard release for sure. C'mon. Be realistic. Maybe as some store exclusive at best. Even w/ that... I dunno.
Old 12-27-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Not the standard release for sure. C'mon. Be realistic. Maybe as some store exclusive at best. Even w/ that... I dunno.
well at least it won't be the 3D release

I'll take a steelbook version of it
Old 12-27-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Well, I could have sat thru it without the intermission. And I wasn't fond of Quentin's narration. Made me wish Django was shot in 70mm.

Overall, I liked it. I didn't feel it was as slow as others had mentioned. The pace moved along fine, but I didn't think it needed title cards (other than the flashback.) The violence didn't bother me at all.
Old 12-27-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^One technical nitpick I had with one particular violent moment
Spoiler:
The squibs on Bob didn't seem to match the where the guns were aiming

And I just KNEW that Channing wasn't gonna last too long as soon as he stuck his head up
Old 12-27-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the Roadshow 70mm presentation of this today ... Really enjoyed it, but I think my 4-star rating would have been slightly higher if they trimmed a bit of the fat from the film. It felt like there was 20+ minutes just of the horses and carriage going through the snow. I didn't mind the dialogue - it is, after all, a QT film.

I'm in agreement with others - the QT "here's what you missed during the intermission" seemed a bit out of place. Can anyone confirm if it is there in the "normal" version?
Old 12-27-15, 05:18 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Logically I don't see why a narration explaining what happened before intermission would be in a cut of the film that doesn't have an intermission. It will just cut to the next chapter.
Old 12-27-15, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Spoiler:
The squibs on Bob didn't seem to match the where the guns were aiming

And I just KNEW that Channing wasn't gonna last too long as soon as he stuck his head up
I kind of wish they had let Channing Tatum's appearance be a surprise. Listing his name in the opening credits just left everyone waiting for him to finally show up.
Old 12-27-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Logically I don't see why a narration explaining what happened before intermission would be in a cut of the film that doesn't have an intermission. It will just cut to the next chapter.
Yet it is.
Old 12-27-15, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by auto
Yet it is.
How do you know?
Old 12-27-15, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think he understands wtf is going on.

The roadshow has those extra movie footage and that Roadshow additions. When it hits wide in regular theaters... we get no Roadshow stuff and get some footage cut out of it.

Logically... keeping that narration bit wouldn't make sense when it's a pretty much "straight" line w/ no pauses.
Old 12-27-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

should be interesting how they edited it

I actually liked that QT let us in on Daisy's secret and funny enough, the woman sitting next to me went out during intermission and missed the narration ... I was going to tell her we were told the coffee was poisoned but figured I should allow her male companion to explain it (though he never did)

The narration isn't present in the original script

On a somewhat related note, I can't believe I had read the script up to Chapter 4 (The Four Passengers) and didn't remember I did until I pulled it up ...granted it was about 2 years ago but how the f does one forget that stuff

Last edited by musick; 12-27-15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
that killer opening-credits sequence.
That was great. The image accompanied by Morricone's music sets the tone nicely.
Old 12-27-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... I had missed the flickering light you get from celluloid projections (and burn marks on single frames), so that was a nice throwback. ...
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
The showing at the Coolidge Corner theatre in Boston had them as well.
At least some theaters are getting prints on separate reels:

Spoiler:
Print for the AFI Silver Theater. Credit: www.film-tech.com, thread "HATEFUL EIGHT 70mm - all discussion", poster Paul Mayer, posted 12-16-2015 10:36 AM

Wouldn't imagine there are more than a handful made this way, since it takes two 70mm projectors to do the changeovers, and you have to have a real professional projectionist to handle changeovers and do the rewinds (not to mention having a rewind table or comparable equipment).
Old 12-27-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
How do you know?
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't think he understands wtf is going on.

The roadshow has those extra movie footage and that Roadshow additions. When it hits wide in regular theaters... we get no Roadshow stuff and get some footage cut out of it.

Logically... keeping that narration bit wouldn't make sense when it's a pretty much "straight" line w/ no pauses.
The screener copies don't include the overture or intermission but include the narration at the beginning of chapter 4 that begins as they're removing the general's body. It's the narration that includes the coffee secret. Was their something additional in the roadshow?
Old 12-27-15, 07:55 PM

Well that is pretty dumb.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.