Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rank the Star Wars films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rank the Star Wars films

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Rank the Star Wars films

Ep 5
Ep 7
Ep 4
Ep 6
Ep 3
Ep 2
Ep 1
Old 12-20-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Star Wars
Empire
TFA
Jedi

And on that note, it seems like few people put SW ahead of Empire, but at one time or another, each of the original three has switched spots as the favorite. SW has been my number one for years though (along with Jedi being a distant last/third for a long time).
Old 12-20-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Empire
and SW

none of the others matter.
This. I still don't get the love and over hype for this series. Most everything after ESB has been borderline crap. Marketing has certainly played its part in this series.
Old 12-20-15, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Star Wars
Empire
TFA
Jedi

And on that note, it seems like few people put SW ahead of Empire, but at one time or another, each of the original three has switched spots as the favorite. SW has been my number one for years though (along with Jedi being a distant last/third for a long time).
Because Empire has balls of steel. The bad guys win and win big - not to mention the ending is a big ass downer. What big ass commercial flicks of the time did that? I can't name one. It's cutting edge that way and you had to wait another 3 years to get to the conclusion.
Old 12-20-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah I get the reasons. I flip flopped over those two in the past.
Old 12-21-15, 12:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Empire
2. SW
3. Force Awakens
4. Jedi
5. Sith
6. Clones
7. Menace
Old 12-21-15, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Best to Worst:

ESB
ANH
TFA
ROTJ
ROTS
AOTC
TPM
Old 12-21-15, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

1. Empire
2. Star Wars
3. The Force Awakens
4. Jedi

TFA proved to me that the PT really did suck and could have been better. Every few years I gave them another shot thinking it would 'click' one day and the trilogy would work for me. TFA worked for me on the 1st viewing, and I loved it even more on the 2nd viewing, so anybody waiting for a SW movie to 'click' after multiple viewings will be waiting a long time.....

Originally Posted by bluetoast

Star Wars was my favorite movie of ALL-Time for many years going back to 1977 as a kid. But as I got older, I had to come to terms that Empire was the better film overall. It's not a knock on the Original Star Wars because that movie is sacred to me, its just the depth of drama in Empire outweighs any of the other movies and is the greatest sequel ever, IMO.
Old 12-21-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All about even for me:

1. Star Wars
2. Empire
3. The Force Awakens

Then:

4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Phantom Menace

I will still defend TPM a bit. Yes, we all know what's wrong with it: "Yippie", "roger-roger", poo-doo, "Meesa clumsy", mitichlorians, etc.

Still, we had Liam Neeson with a good bulk of screen time. A lot of those location shots in Italy for Naboo were really spectacular (and non-CGI). The pod race sequence was great. Best lightsaber battle of the series, hands down. Darth Maul was a great villain, and "Duel of the Fates" was some of Williams' best music.

And finally, the fan-fiction video games:

6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Attack of the Clones.
Old 12-21-15, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Still have every one of the originals above TFA mainly because the throne room/Final space battle is some of the best of the series even though ROTJ as a whole is uneven. The way TFA copied Star Wars in many ways shows how great the original is. Phantom Menace held up the best of the prequels even though it is obvious they should have kept Maul alive to better explain Anakin's path to the dark side. I think Menace would be more highly regarded if II and III were better executed, AOTC is horrendous and Revenge of the Sith isn't far behind. Basically needed II to be better and more Anakin/Kenobi together in order to set up III.

Star Wars
Empire
ROTJ
TFA
Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith
AOTC
Old 12-21-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi

That would have fixed a good 95% of what I didn't like about them.
Give me a red pen and the script for Attack of the Clones and I'll cross out every time Anakin says "m'lady". That right there will make that movie almost watchable.
Old 12-21-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Give me a red pen and the script for Attack of the Clones and I'll cross out every time Anakin says "m'lady". That right there will make that movie almost watchable.
The fact that 90% of the movie is them running around on green screen makes it unwatchable to me. This should be filmmaker 101. CGI does NOT improve with age.
Old 12-21-15, 11:11 AM
Banned

All about even for me:

1. Star Wars
2. Empire
3. The Force Awakens

Then:

4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Phantom Menace

I will still defend TPM a bit. Yes, we all know what's wrong with it: "Yippie", "roger-roger", poo-doo, "Meesa clumsy", mitichlorians, etc.

Still, we had Liam Neeson with a good bulk of screen time. A lot of those location shots in Italy for Naboo were really spectacular (and non-CGI). The pod race sequence was great. Best lightsaber battle of the series, hands down. Darth Maul was a great villain, and "Duel of the Fates" was some of Williams' best music.

6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Attack of the Clones.
I like Darth Maul.. but he's not really a good villain. He's just a mid level boss. Gets teased a bit to the player. Looks badass and can kick ass but doesn't have anything to do aside from the its actual boss fight.
Old 12-21-15, 11:16 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

All about even for me:

1. Star Wars
2. Empire
3. The Force Awakens

Then:

4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Phantom Menace

6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Attack of the Clones.
I have to say the best lightsaber battle for me is the throne room in ROTJ. I plan to re-watch the prequels this week, though. Pray for me.
Old 12-21-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I plan to re-watch the prequels this week, though. Pray for me.
Why would you even bother? The Force Awakens completely ignores those movies, and I suspect the rest of the episodes will too.
Old 12-21-15, 11:37 AM
Banned

Yeah. The PT is kind of irrelevant even from a narrative standpoint. Whatever surprises the past holds for Luke, it doesn't for the viewer. It ruins the narrative.
Old 12-21-15, 12:02 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Why would you even bother? The Force Awakens completely ignores those movies, and I suspect the rest of the episodes will too.
I'm a masochist.
Old 12-21-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

ANH and ESB are clearly at the top of the list followed closely by Jedi and Awakens. I need to see Awakens a few more times but despite the slow middle act of Jedi, the first and third acts are a blast. It'll be interesting to see if repeat viewings of Awakens make it edge out Jedi. Oh, and the biggest blemish of Jedi at this point is Hayden Christian in the movie. Awakens could edge it out for me based on that alone.

The rest are irrelevant especially Clone Wars. Still unsure why it's even considered to be listed among the rest.
Old 12-21-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I'm surprised to see so many people put TFA over Jedi. I'm not a SW mega fan by any stretch but I though Jedi was universally liked (if not slightly behind the first two).
Old 12-21-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I'm surprised to see so many people put TFA over Jedi. I'm not a SW mega fan by any stretch but I though Jedi was universally liked (if not slightly behind the first two).
I put Jedi before Awakens in my list, but I mentioned that I could probably make an argument for either one. I'm of the opinion that (Ewoks be damned) Jedi's biggest flaw is just how tired it all feels. The 3 leads in particular are just sleep walking through the movie. Heck, even Vader seems like he isn't particularly interested in the proceedings. The Force Awakens just feels newer, fresher (storyline aside) and much more full of energy. I get why people respond to that. It's such a big part of what made the original so beloved. TFA also doesn't have an Ewok equivalent. In other words, it doesn't have that one thing everyone can point to as the thing that ruined the movie. Personally, I think the two are probably equally flawed. They're just flawed in different ways.
Old 12-21-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The problem with ROTJ is it is very uneven, where you have some of the best scenes in the SW Sage with the Throne Room and then some of the worst scenes on Endor with the Ewoks. Literally the movies just comes to a complete halt when they meet the Ewoks as they probably could have cut a good 15 minutes out of that part. It is the only part of the 3 OT movies where I can freely go to bathroom and not put it on pause because I know I'm not missing anything substantitive.

I still think its too early to rank TFA (even though I did cause its fun to speculate). The thing about the OT is those movies have great replay as I have been watching them since 77,80,83 hundreds of times and still love them. The PT had no replay value as you started to really see the flaws after the 2nd or 3rd viewing (or for some the 1st). TFA is a fun movie that is probably more consistent then ROTJ in terms of the flow of the movie, but there is no scenes that come close to the Throne Room Scenes so I could see fans putting ROTJ back in the #3 slot in the future.

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I actually had a bet with my friend that JJ & Disney would completely ignore the PT and it was essentially setting up the movies to be watched 4,5,6,7,8,9 when they are all said and done and the PT is sort of like the EU where you can watch them if you want. I still think it was the right thing to do because the PT fanbase is small (I still dont' know anyone personaly who likes those movies, as they only seem to appear on the internet, we makes me always suspicious of their motives.)
Old 12-21-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I always liked ROTJ a lot as a kid because it was the one I remember most clearly seeing in the theater. I saw ESB but I was too little for ANH. And it's got a ton of cool moments - like, for example, Luke cutting the front of a speeder bike off as it raced past him. That's maybe my favorite thing he did in any movie. And the final battle is awesome. And really uses 3D space like a lot of space movies don't. I love it so much.

That said, when the re-release hit theaters, I actually fell asleep in the middle of it in the theater. I forgot how BORING that whole section is. TFA doesn't have anything that slow by comparison so it edges out ROTJ.
Old 12-21-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Force Awakens
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Phantom Menace

I will probably see the Force Awakens again next week, might swap out my ranking with Revenge of the Sith.
Old 12-21-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi
All the prequels are terrible. I suppose you could say Episodes 3, 2, and 1 in that order of preference, but they're all just equally cringeworthy.
Old 12-21-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

1. - Star Wars...just hard to beat the original...even stands up today 38 yrs later
2. - Empire.......the lightsaber duel between Luke & His Father Vader...classic
3. - Return.......Yoda passes, Luke becomes a Jedi, assault on the Death Star, Emperor, Vader and Luke
4. - Attack of the Clones...massive Clone battles, lots of Jedi with Lightsabers and Yoda kicks butt
5. - Revenge of the Sith....The Empire & Emperor grows, Obi-Wan & Anakin duel and Vader is born
6. - Phantom Menace.....the Pod Race, seeing the Sith Lord and the battle with him, Obi-Wan Qui-Gon

Have not seen The Force Awakens....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.