Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount/Hasbro Cinematic Universe?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Paramount/Hasbro Cinematic Universe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Paramount/Hasbro Cinematic Universe?

Just wait for the inevitable Rainbow Brite/Strawberry Shortcake/My Little Pony crossover.
Old 12-17-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Joe and Cobra have some pretty impressive M&A attorneys.

Should Rocky/Creed movies be considered part of this extended universe?

Old 12-17-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Pretty lame if you ask me. There's plenty of fodder in the G.I. Joe and Transformers universe for some entertaining storytelling. I see no need to add a bunch of second-rate toy lines that most people have barely heard of to the mix.
Old 12-17-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Joe and Cobra have some pretty impressive M&A attorneys.

Should Rocky/Creed movies be considered part of this extended universe?

And the Fridge and Sgt. Slaughter characters mean the NFL and WWE can be part of this shared universe too.
Old 12-17-15, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go nuts if Sgt. Slaughter was in a GI Joe live action movie.
Old 12-18-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

So can Marvel use ROM or the Space Knights in their movies? Sounds like it is in the same territory as their use of Namor. The rights caught between two companies and Marvel not wanting to use a character unless its 100% under their tent.

I still have a lot of the original ROM comics and they were pretty cool. Certainly of the time, but the character of ROM had a half decent story in the comics and the Space Knights were cool. I could see them in a Guardians of the Galaxy or other space based movie in the MCU.
Old 12-18-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

They can't use ROM, the Space Knights might be iffier.
Old 12-18-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

M.A.S.K. and Visionaries movies? Bring it on.
Old 12-18-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Like Bug, they're not going to use the Space Knights until they have 100% clearance.

But they do use the Space Knights in the Marvel Universe; they even had a space knights miniseries, where they referenced but never named ROM, in the 90s, and now for whatever reason Venom is a Space Knight. They were also used in the Annihilation crossovers, and in the big Ultron event from a few years ago. But when there are so many other alien races they can use, I don't think they'll chance it.

It's amazing to me how many of these toy properties owe their longevity to comics. ROM was like a one-off toy who's basically only remembered because of the comics. Both GI Joe (the 3 3/4 line) and Transformers owe their entire background stories to Marvel (for Jim Shooter's recollection of how Transformers came to be, read http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/06/se...rs-part-1.html). In fact, most of the Sunbow cartoons (with the exception of Visionaries) was co-produced by Marvel Productions, including Jem and Inhumanoids.
Old 12-18-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
His appearances on the cartoon were always great.
Old 12-18-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I remember Rom being a really good comic. I haven't read an issue of Rom in probably 15 years, but I remember buying that one regularly for years.

If I remember right the comic had a real cinematic feel to it. That could work well on the big screen - but only if they get a deal worked out with Marvel for the story and concepts. All they've got otherwise is a shiny silver robot/cyborg.
Old 12-19-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Slaughter should've gotten the cameo in the first film that instead went to Brendan Fraser. Would've been the perfect spot for him.

It seems like I read somewhere that there was a rights issue with using Slaughter in the film, but for the life of I can't imagine what that would be.
Old 12-19-15, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Slaughter should've gotten the cameo in the first film that instead went to Brendan Fraser. Would've been the perfect spot for him.

It seems like I read somewhere that there was a rights issue with using Slaughter in the film, but for the life of I can't imagine what that would be.
WWE rights?
Old 12-19-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the WWE owns Sgt. Slaughter like they do Hulk Hogan.
Old 12-20-15, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm pretty sure that the WWE owns Sgt. Slaughter like they do Hulk Hogan.
Both guys own their persona (unlike Dwayne Johnson and the Rock name) but both are or were under Legends deals with WWE restricting their appearances and merchandising rights.
Old 12-18-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

DECEMBER 18, 2017 1:55pm PT by Aaron Couch
Paramount Sets 'G.I. Joe,' 'Dungeons & Dragons' Release Dates

The studio has also carved out slots for 'Micronauts' and an untitled Hasbro film.

Paramount is playing the release dating game Monday, with the studio carving out territory for four tentpoles.

A film simply titled G.I. Joe will hit theaters March 27, 2020. The studio previously released two films based on the Hasbro property — G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) and G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013). 2020 will be a Hasbro year, as the studio has set Micronauts to open seven months later on Oct. 16, 2020. The toy property follows a race of Alien warriors from an alternate dimension that's microscopic. Paramount also carved out a July 23, 2021 date for Dungeons & Dragons, based on the table top roll playing game, and set aside Oct. 1, 2021 for an untitled Hasbro event film.

In 2015, THR broke the news that Paramount and Hasbro's Allspark Pictures were building a shared universe based on five Hasbro concepts — G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and ROM, assembling a writers room to hammer out the details. The two G.I. Joe films earned a combined $678.2 worldwide.

The studio has had big commercial success with its Transformers series, which has earned $4.3 billion worldwide. Its latest installment, Transformers: The Last Knight, opened this year and 605.4 million worldwide, the lowest of the filve films. Paramount has the spinoff Bumblebee due out Dec. 21, 2018.

As for Dungeons & Dragons, Jeremy Irons appeared in an ill-fated 2000 adaptation for New Line. More recently, property became embroiled in a legal battle over who had the rights to make a film based on it, with a 2015 settlement appearing to pave the way for Warner Bros. to move ahead with a long-gestating project. As recently as last year, Warners was developing a project, with Ansel Elgort in early talks to star, however, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed the property is no longer with the studio.

Dec. 18, 4 p.m. Updated to reflect that Warner Bros. is no longer developing a Dungeons & Dragons movie.
Old 05-01-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Haim Saban is selling Power Rangers brand to toy maker Hasbro
By JIM PUZZANGHERA, MEG JAMES and JAMES F. PELTZ
MAY 01, 2018 | 3:00 PM

The Power Rangers are sprinting out of Los Angeles to a new corporate home.

Hasbro Inc., the world's largest toymaker, has agreed to buy the entertainment brand and several others owned by Los Angeles billionaire Haim Saban, the two announced Tuesday.

The cash-and-stock deal, valued at $522 million, allows Rhode Island-based Hasbro to add Power Rangers to its stable of toys, games and programming
that already includes Transformers, My Little Pony, Monopoly and Play-Doh. It's also a blow to Hasbro's main rival, Mattel Inc.

Decades ago, Saban created the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" TV show — a remake of a Japanese action show about ordinary teenagers who take on supernatural strength to battle bizarre creatures from space — and spent years peddling it. Fox bought the live-action TV show in 1993, and it became a hit.

Tuesday's deal marks the second time Saban has sold the Power Rangers. "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" was included in Saban's and News Corp.'s $3.2-billion sale of the Fox Family cable channel to Walt Disney Co. in 2001. But the property languished at Disney, and Disney didn't feel it was core to the company's brand. So the Burbank entertainment giant sold Power Rangers back to Saban in 2010 for less than $100 million.

Over the years, the franchise has spawned more than 900 television episodes and billions of dollars in sales of toys and other merchandise. Last year, a $100-million reboot hit movie theaters. But the film, distributed by Lionsgate, did not perform up to expectations: It earned only $142 million worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo. Nevertheless, there has been talk of plans for another Power Rangers movie.

Now Hasbro is taking the reins.

"Twenty-five years after launching Power Rangers, I believe the future for this brand has never been greater," Saban, founder of Los Angeles-based Saban Brands, said Tuesday in a statement. "Hasbro's leadership in innovation, storytelling and brand stewardship make it the perfect company to further develop the global reach and appeal of the Power Rangers property."

Saban declined to comment.

The popularity of the Power Rangers helped to build the mogul's empire, which includes interests in real estate, apps and online games, an Israeli phone company, Asian TV channels and an ownership interest in the struggling Spanish-language media company Univision Communications, of which he serves as chairman.

Saban Brands and Hasbro struck a licensing deal in February.

Under that deal, Hasbro agreed to pay $22.25 million to be the global master toy licensee for Power Rangers starting in April 2019, giving the toymaker worldwide rights, except in Japan and some other Asian markets. Hasbro was to collaborate with Saban Brands to "design, produce and bring to market a wide variety of toys, games and role play items inspired by the franchise and its entertainment properties."

But Hasbro soon decided it wanted to own the brand outright.

"Shortly after entering into our licensing arrangement, it became clear that now was the time to begin investing in unlocking Power Rangers' full potential," Hasbro Chief Executive Brian Goldner said in a statement.

Hasbro sees "significant opportunity for Power Rangers," including toys and video games, and Haim Saban will "continue in a consulting role to further guide our development of this valuable property for the next generation of Power Rangers fans," Goldner said.

The licensing payment will be credited toward the purchase price, the companies said. Hasbro will pay an additional $229.75 million in cash and will issue $270 million worth of Hasbro common stock to acquire the Power Rangers brand and several others. They include My Pet Monster, Popples, Julius Jr., Luna Petunia and Treehouse Detectives.

The deal is one more headache for Hasbro's top rival, Mattel, and Mattel's new chief executive, Ynon Kreiz.

Mattel's stock tumbled 74 cents, or 5%, to $14.06 a share Tuesday. Hasbro shares slipped 70 cents, or 0.8%, to $87.39.

Mattel — whose brands include Barbie, American Girl and Fisher-Price — has been struggling for years, and a series of top executives has been unable to stem the El Segundo company's slide.

Kreiz took the reins in April. He succeeded Margo Georgiadis, who was chief executive for only 14 months; during her tenure, Mattel continued to post losses and lower sales.

Mattel, Hasbro and other toymakers have been hurt by the demise of Toys R Us Inc., the giant toy retailer that filed for bankruptcy protection in September and is now liquidating its U.S. operations.

"We see this deal as a positive for Hasbro, as it will be able to leverage the Power Rangers brand across toys, games, consumer products, digital gaming and entertainment," wrote Keith Snyder, an analyst with CFRA Research. "We believe this is the first in a string of potential M&A moves following the Toys R Us bankruptcy."

Hasbro is expected to fare better than Mattel in the face of Toys R Us' demise, in part because it has negotiated successful toy-making licensing rights to several entertainment brands, including the Star Wars franchise and Disney's Princess and Frozen properties.

There has been years-long speculation that Hasbro might mount a takeover bid for Mattel. Both companies repeatedly have declined to comment on the rumors.

The two toy companies are nearly the same size. Hasbro's sales last year were $5.2 billion, and Mattel's were $4.9 billion.

[email protected]

Twitter: @JimPuzzanghera

UPDATES:

3:00 p.m.: This article was updated with information about Saban's business.

12:45 p.m.: This article was updated with information about Mattel.

This article was originally published at 11:05 a.m.
Old 05-03-18, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now Michael Bay has a new franchise to destroy.
Old 05-04-18, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I thought Warner Bros were assholes for forcing their superhero properties to go the Avengers/Marvel Cinematic Universe route. Do something different, take your time, etc.

But with the continued success of Marvel I see why Warner Bros, Paramount, and Universal want to try their own hand at it, regardless of how ridiculous it seems.
It feels like Marvel's printing money at this point. Do they even have a bombs or failures yet?

But I don't think the other studios understand the significance of what Kirby, Lee and all the others did in establishing their "universe." When I got into comics as a kid, Marvel's appeal was how their world seemed more real, and how realistic it was that superheroes would run into each other. DC Comics on the other hand, most of the cities were fictional, and all the big titles seemed to exist in their own little universes, separate from one another. So Marvel already had like 60+ years of comic readers used to that. Not to mention all the cartoons that repeated that same feeling. So the novelty of not just seeing these comic characters come to live, but also the interconnected universe itself is a big selling point.

For DC, not so much. I love DC but when they try to do the shared universe stuff it feels forced. Worse for Hasbro toys and Universal monsters. There's no history of a shared universe for those things, so there's no demand for it.
Old 05-13-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1111149

Popular G.I. Joe character Snake Eyes is getting his own movie.

Paramount Pictures has thrown a Joe spinoff movie featuring the commando into development, with Evan Spiliotopoulos, the writer of 2017's Beauty and the Beast and The Huntsman: Winter’s War, in talks to pen the script.

Brian Goldner is among those producing the feature based on the Hasbro toyline.