Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 09:49 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
And? We're talking about science fiction here.
I guess if you were saying it's not believable that the Resistance is flying the same old shit, then I disagree.

If you're saying it's too bad we didn't see any new ships, then OK, that's a good point. I guess the classic X-Wing is iconic, so maybe that's why they didn't change it? If I'm remembering correctly, the X-Wings stayed constant throughout the original trilogy while the TIE Fighters were tweaked from film to film? I may be misremembering though.
Old 12-23-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Ive seen this comment a few times now. That Finn had some relationship with the fallen trooper. I think people are reading too much into this. Wasnt Finn having a moral crisis and saw a human being gunned down for "nothing". I feel it was just basic human empathy and not some elaborate "we were drinking buddies back on base". I mean it was stated that troopers go thru mindwipes and conditioning. Not a whole lot of wiggle room on personal relationships.
I think the whole Finn change of heart thing has some other, as of now, secret element to it. I don't think it was as simple as seeing the stormtroopers killing civilians to make him go rogue. No, there was definitely something more to it, something that made him go against his programming when all other stormtroopers don't. Pretty sure it'll be something explored in the next couple movies.
Old 12-23-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I guess if you were saying it's not believable that the Resistance is flying the same old shit, then I disagree.

If you're saying it's too bad we didn't see any new ships, then OK, that's a good point. I guess the classic X-Wing is iconic, so maybe that's why they didn't change it? If I'm remembering correctly, the X-Wings stayed constant throughout the original trilogy while the TIE Fighters were tweaked from film to film? I may be misremembering though.
Just more of a general thing I noticed. I also noticed that the fighter JJ Abrams is standing next to in the pic posted is a single engine plane (on each side) as opposed to the the double engine (on each side) ones. So they're even less powerful but do more?
Old 12-23-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive seen this comment a few times now. That Finn had some relationship with the fallen trooper. I think people are reading too much into this. Wasnt Finn having a moral crisis and saw a human being gunned down for "nothing". I feel it was just basic human empathy and not some elaborate "we were drinking buddies back on base". I mean it was stated that troopers go thru mindwipes and conditioning. Not a whole lot of wiggle room on personal relationships.
Agreed, that's how I took it as well.
Old 12-23-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The State of the Galaxy in Star Wars: The Force Awakens

http://nerdist.com/the-state-of-the-...force-awakens/

Some quick summaries of all the different political groups in the universe taken from Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary.
The last thing this new movie needed was to get bogged down in a lot of the political stuff like the PT, but I do kind of wish that they had made some of this back story a little more clear in the film. I know that as an audience that we're just supposed to just accept that resistance = rebellion and first order = empire and enjoy the ride, but the political situation in TFA seems to be a bit more complex than that of the OT. Even something as simple as the resistance being named the resistance, despite the fact that they are sanctioned by the dominant political entity in the galaxy, is needlessly confusing. Typically the term resistance is applied when a smaller group is fighting back against some kind of larger oppression. As far as TFA goes, the First Order actually fits the term resistance better. Maybe it's just semantics, but I can't help but be reminded of the needless complexity of just about every major plot development of PT.
Old 12-23-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Only one screen out of five will be 2D next week when I see it again, and they dropped the morning time - this ticks me off. So, how was the 3D?
It was OK. I haven't seen it in 2D yet, but I don't think the 3D necessarily added much to the feel of the world. There are a few nice visuals (don't forget to duck when the First Order Destroyer lingers on screen) but they really are just a few.

If they don't charge an arm and a leg for it, give the 3D a shot.
Old 12-23-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't mind 3D more or less (actually, a little less...), but when 3D costs $5-$8 more than 2D, it can fuck right the hell off!
Old 12-23-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Surprisingly enough, I agree with this statement. It was one of the things that I thought the film did right. How did you feel about Kylo Ren taking off his helmet?
I liked that he wasn't a deformed mess ala Darth Vader. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it drove the point home that he wants to be Darth Vader but it's totally a costume because he doesn't need it.

I went in completely spoiler free (didn't even know Adam Driver was playing Kylo) so it was a "holy shit, he's just a kid" moment for me.
Old 12-23-15, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if (but God I hope not):

http://www.inquisitr.com/2649390/sta...ill-floor-you/
Old 12-23-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Does anyone elses eyes cross when you start reading character names in text? Ren/Finn/Rey all become a blur. No real cool names this go round.
Old 12-23-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by redcon1

Other than 'list-icles,' I don't know that I've ever seen a more blatant example of click-bait in my life. Kudos for originality, I guess.
Old 12-23-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm hopeful for Episode VIII being better than this one as Rian Johnson is actually a great director whereas Abram is merely good (at best). But I am deeply apprehensive about episode IX as Trevorrow is a straight up bad director.
Old 12-23-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This sounds terrible. Even worse that the article pats itself on the back saying it fits and is compelling.
Old 12-23-15, 12:03 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

That is one of the dumbest theories that I've read.
Old 12-23-15, 12:04 PM
Suspended

My oldest son (13) and I finally seen it yesterday, twice! My wife and him just left to go see it today.

Loved it, absolutely fucking loved it. Not ESB, but still awesome.

Both viewings were 3D, not the greatest 3D but better than a lot of other movies we've seen.

Both showings were almost a full crowd. We went early and the first showing was full of old people. Was really surprised that all these old folks would see a 3d and pay more for it. The highlight of that was when Kylo took his helmet off the first time, they all laughed at the reveal. Actually felt bad for driver, great actor and his look really really fits this roll. Highlight of second time seeing it, filled with pussy. Love that SW and comics are the in thing to be cool for all these people who only are into fads.

I only have one problem with the film. We already seen Rey jump from a distance to a rope, a rope that showed she had to climb very high. Seen her save BB. See her fight two thugs who are trying to steal BB, then knock Finn on his ass right after. And we see that she survives on her own. THEN we have to hear TWICE in one minute, of her yelling at Finn for grabbing her hand and run with her. We already knew she was a strong female character, but that shit about the hand holding was overkill and beating you over the head with it. We get it, we have seen multiple times how strong she is, you don't actually have to spell it out. It's something Joss Whedon and his stupid fans would love and finger their assholes over. Plus you had the Captain of the troopers is "female", regular female troopers, and female deck officers. And no I'm not complaining like others have about a female lead. I liked her, I'm just bitching about if you have to spell it out after the fact of her doing amazing shit already defeats the whole thing. I don't know, but it stuck out like a sore thumb after she just kicked 3 guys asses.

Other than that stupid minute, it was great. Will be seeing it much more.

Has anyone read the new books/comics that have been out? Just wondering about the First Order. No explanation of how they have all this power, especially if they are stealing all these babies. Maybe it's because the SW universe is so big and the Empire was everywhere, that it really didn't matter in ROTJ that the rebels blew up the Death star and Emperor died. Kind of like the Thrawn books, where they were on the other side of the galaxy and had no idea of what was going on Endor.

Last edited by banthafett; 12-23-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I guess I always assumed that the next high ranking Imperial officer would have just taken over after the Death Star II was destroyed and Vader and Emperor Palpatine were gone. The Empire seemed like a pretty far reaching thing so I doubt that there weren't other outposts or leaders within it that would have taken over.
Old 12-23-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
About Rey and Kylo's family...
Spoiler:

Also, it sets up a more interesting dynamic. Luke is training a virtual stranger in the ways of the Force to fight against his own blood, his nephew Kylo Ren. And it gives us the opportunity to see Kylo upset that his uncle, the son of his idol, fight against him, and betray the legacy of Darth Vader.
Spoiler:
I like that dynamic--maybe Luke will realize his family basically sucks and it's time to end the Skywalker legacy. I really hope Rey isn't related. It still sort of irks me that Leia is, even after all these years.
Old 12-23-15, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Are people ignoring the Skywalker theme being used for Rey?
Old 12-23-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess I always assumed that the next high ranking Imperial officer would have just taken over after the Death Star II was destroyed and Vader and Emperor Palpatine were gone. The Empire seemed like a pretty far reaching thing so I doubt that there weren't other outposts or leaders within it that would have taken over.
Here's sorta what happened between VI and VII:

Why do we need some context? Because the last time we saw the Star Wars galaxy the Empire had fallen - see the celebrations in the streets of Coruscant in the Special Edition - but now we're right back in what looks exactly, completely like the political context of the first Star Wars movie. There's an evil Nazi-like Empire running around and there are good guy Rebels in a hidden base. Not only is like nothing changed since Jedi, it's like we went back in time to the first film. But it's not quite so simple.

A little history: the Galactic Civil War didn't exactly end with the Battle of Endor. While that was the decisive turning point, it seems to have gone on for one more year, with the final final battle happening at Jakku. The Rebels formed the New Republic while the shattered remains of the Empire limped out to the Outer Rim, where you can easily disappear. It's wild space out there. Think of it like the Nazis who escaped to Argentina.

The Rebels set up the New Republic and, for reasons that escape me, established their capitol in the Hosnian System, on Hosnian Prime. While I get that Palpatine probably stunk up Coruscant, that planet was the seat of power of the Old Republic as well - I don't quite know why they moved. Maybe it's so that when Starkiller Base blows up a planet it isn't Coruscant, even though the planet blown up in The Force Awakens looks, for all intents and purposes, like Coruscant.

While the New Republic was getting back into the business of being a democratic society - ie, a lot of bickering and fighting and stalemates and poltical nonsense - the shards of the Empire were reforming on the Outer Rim under the guidance of the mysterious Supreme Leader Snoke. Most in the New Republic ignore the growing menace of the First Order, but not Leia - after all, the Organas have a history of seeing bad shit coming down the pike. She pleads with the New Republic to deal with the FIrst Order, but everybody thinks she's overreacting; finally she's able to convince the powers-that-be to let her go off and lead a small resistance group which she then imaginatively names The Resistance. Basically this is like when the US sends advisors and some money and weapons to support an insurgent group in a communist (or now Islamic) country. The New Republic isn't fighting the war - the logo of The Resistance is pointedly the same as the logo of the Rebel Alliance, not The New Republic (which, to be fair, is pretty similar anyway) - but they're kind of fighting a proxy war led by Leia.

That's the basic set up; when The First Order blows up Hosnian Prime it's basically like a terrorist group going after the US because it has supported fighters in their home region. It's an extravagant move, of course, but The First Order, influenced greatly by the Empire, seems to think big.

When it's all laid out it's simple, but the movie really obfuscates it, leaving many people to scratch their head in confusion about the exact state of the galaxy at the opening of The Force Awakens. The true mystery - one that doesn't feel like a storytelling fumble - is just who and what Supreme Leader Snoke is. It seems clear that his recruitment of Ben Solo/Kylo Ren was a turning point in the struggle for The Resistance - this must be why they need Luke Skywalker so badly. But what role Snoke played in the formation of the First Order and how he turned Ben Solo are stories that remain to be told. The rest of this stuff was simply inconveniently hidden in books (many of them young reader novels, no less!).
Old 12-23-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't mind 3D more or less (actually, a little less...), but when 3D costs $5-$8 more than 2D, it can fuck right the hell off!
Fully agreed! There are only a couple of theaters I go to around here (and none are in Springfield). One is about 30 minutes away and it was $8.75 for 3D on opening night (and real butter on the popcorn). The other is an hour away and 3D IMAX is normally $13.25 but I get it for $10 with a university ID.

I want to say the typical 3D markup is about $3 around here but I haven't paid that much attention.

Originally Posted by banthafett
Both showings were almost a full crowd. We went early and the first showing was full of old people. Was really surprised that all these old folks would see a 3d and pay more for it. The highlight of that was when Kylo took his helmet off the first time, they all laughed at the reveal. Actually felt bad for driver, great actor and his look really really fits this roll. Highlight of second time seeing it, filled with pussy. Love that SW and comics are the in thing to be cool for all these people who only are into fads.

I only have one problem with the film. We already seen Rey jump from a distance to a rope, a rope that showed she had to climb very high. Seen her save BB. See her fight two thugs who are trying to steal BB, then knock Finn on his ass right after. And we see that she survives on her own. THEN we have to hear TWICE in one minute, of her yelling at Finn for grabbing her hand and run with her. We already knew she was a strong female character, but that shit about the hand holding was overkill and beating you over the head with it. We get it, we have seen multiple times how strong she is, you don't actually have to spell it out. It's something Joss Whedon and his stupid fans would love and finger their assholes over. Plus you had the Captain of the troopers is "female", regular female troopers, and female deck officers. And no I'm not complaining like others have about a female lead. I liked her, I'm just bitching about if you have to spell it out after the fact of her doing amazing shit already defeats the whole thing. I don't know, but it stuck out like a sore thumb after she just kicked 3 guys asses.
I really don't get the bitching about strong female characters or the claim that we are being beat over the head with it. But I guess the bolded statement explains your view a bit.

Maybe I misheard, but (I thought) the first time Rey said something along the lines of "don't grab my hand" while the second time she asked "WHY are you always grabbing my hand?" (Which I thought was funny in that context.)

If they wanted to beat us over the head with Phasma, she wouldn't have kept her helmet on.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Going that far down the line you end up with the the Secretary of Education in charge.

Are people ignoring the Skywalker theme being used for Rey?
I didn't notice, but then I commented earlier on that I barely noticed the score at all. I even tried to focus on the score the second time around and still don't recall anything that stuck out or was memorable.
Old 12-23-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I didn't notice, but then I commented earlier on that I barely noticed the score at all. I even tried to focus on the score the second time around and still don't recall anything that stuck out or was memorable.
Yeah, other then Rey's theme... and the OT themes... nothing really stood out to me. Not even sure if there was a 'First Order march'... I can understand Williams score still being fantastic in a more nuanced way, I just expected some new themes to stick out more/be more obvious. Just got the soundtrack, maybe a few listens of that will change my mind...
Old 12-23-15, 02:02 PM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Highlight of second time seeing it, filled with pussy.
Didn't realize there was already a special edition out.
Old 12-23-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said already... (did I really just read through all of this??)

Loved it while being slightly disappointed at the same time (mainly with the last act similarities to the OT). But it was still a really good movie, and I loved the new cast.

Adam Driver was top notch in this. Intimidating with the mask on, somehow both intimidating AND vulnerable with the mask off.

Everything with BB-8 was really just, well, incredible. I found myself watching him in every scene he was in. Hauling ass to the falcon, traversing bumpy forrest terrain - and going down a damn set of stairs may have been the best scene of his. Just great design.

Seriously, though, wtf was up with phasma? Nothing but show, then she caves at the first threat. I think phasma should have been the one to battle with the baton/saber with Finn - set her up as a credible physical threat. Yeah, I know that guy got blasted, but they could just as easily have had her just get incapacitated somehow.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-23-15 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The Rey female empowerment didn't bother me one bit. I have 3 daughters, and I love that they can see a bad ass female presence in one of my favorite set of films (Leia had her moments in the OT, but was often in the background)

The hand-holding thing, I took more as humor - it's is pretty funny how male leads often do that in movies. As if women are physically incapable of running unless they're being directed/dragged along.
Old 12-23-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I strongly suspect some Phasma scenes ended up on the cutting room floor for the sake of pacing. I have to believe there was an actual scene shot of her "reindoctrinating" Finn and showing her menace that didn't make the final cut. Such a scene would make Finn's "now I'm in charge" lines carry more emotional weight in addition to being as humorous as they are in the final cut.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.