Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

It was OK, not bad. A few funny moments. Seemed like a highlight reel from the originals more than its own thing, though. Abrams played it too safe. Enough with the super weapons.
Old 12-20-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Regarding the theory someone had that..
Spoiler:
...Rey might be in Obi Wan's bloodline...

1. I think it would be really interesting if that were true.
2. Apparently the last line of...
Spoiler:
...Rey's Force flashback when she touches Luke's saber is a combination of new audio from Ewan McGregor and old audio of Alec Guiness. The line is "Rey, you've taken your first steps." More info here.
So my wife's idea isn't so crazy, eh? She'll be happy to know that.
Old 12-20-15, 07:20 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And I was very surprised to see Hamill get second billing for that short cameo. I really wished we could have gotten at least one word out of him.
I was expecting Rey to call him by name, and for him to respond "Luke Skywalker? Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time."

This is a damn good rebooting of the franchise, if they all get made at least a fraction as well as this one, we've got some good times ahead of us indeed.
Agreed. I thought this movie captured the spirit of the originals in a way the prequels never did.
Old 12-20-15, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brack
My question is why is Ren worried so much about living up to Vader? Is he not being seduced by the Dark Side enough? Isn't it the easiest thing to be seduced by, regarding the Force? To me, it's clear he's not fully committed to be completely evil, even after he did you know what to you know who. Maybe him wanting to take Rey on as his apprentice was a way of inferring he wants to destroy Snoke, but he's hardly at Vader Dark Side-strength. Perhaps I'm overthinking this.
He mentions (while communing with Vader's helmet, I think) that he's being seduced by the light. My take is that he's a good kid, who rebelled against his parents and his uncle for some reason -- what, I don't think we know yet -- but at the end of the day, he's still the decent person that Han and Leia raised. So he wants to reject whatever it is that pushed him away from his family, and maybe he wants the power that he sees in the First Order, but he still struggles with what he has to do. I think we're going to really see some interesting parallels with Finn in subsequent movies; Finn basically did what Kylo (Ben) feels, on some level, that he should be doing.
Old 12-20-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF

Agreed. I thought this movie captured the spirit of the originals in a way the prequels never did.
Same here--I loved it. It's like Abrams really understood everything that was wrong with the prequels, and corrected it. Very good casting, performances and dialogue. A bunch of nice small and slow moments. Less CGI, more practical effects. And maybe most importantly, the tone and humor hearkened back to Star Wars and Empire.
Old 12-20-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In my second viewing, I tried to specifically focus on Rey. At least there were enough layers, IMO, to make the movie interesting on repeat views.

Spoiler:
  • Rey seems amazed at the existence of Luke Skywalker.
  • Her Force hallucination was obviously important. There were three scenes in seeming chronological order: Luke/R2 in the rain followed by the Knights of Ren in the rain (but no Rey), presumably Rey being left on Jaaku with the junk dealer, and then Rey in the snow with Kylo Ren as happened on Starkiller Base. The dream also started with weird imagery that made me think of a series of force fields, similar to the once that separated Kenobi from Jin and Maul during their fight.
  • In Rey's conversation with Maz, she is asked to come to grips with the fact that no one was coming to rescue her from Jaaku. However, Maz mentions she could travel elsewhere and Rey says Luke.
  • Han very quickly warms to Rey (seemingly bonding over keeping the Falcon running). When Maz asks Han who she is, there is a cut and we never hear that description. Everyone afterwards just hears she's a scavenger.
  • Kylo is overly interested in the girl from Jaaku before he meets her.
  • During Rey's interrogation, Kylo Ren draws out imagery of an island ... a perhaps where Luke is found.

As I'm guessing is expected, her lineage is not 100% clear. If Luke is her father, she doesn't know it (at least by name alone). I did not get the impression that the Solos had more children. Extending the line of Obi-wan or Qui-gon would take some plot gymnastics to make it logical and compelling, especially since it seemed to skip mention in the OT.

Old 12-20-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

None of the prequels were thinly-veiled remakes of the original film. In fact, there isn't a reused OT setpiece to be found in the entire prequel trilogy. Closest thing would be the pre-Ewok Wookiee battle finally being realized in RotS. But TFA has the big three actors and literally the same plot. Of course it's gonna feel like the old ones.

I enjoyed TFA. I rank it higher than RotJ and the first two prequels. I've said as much elsewhere on the forums already. I'd just be hard-pressed to name anything about the movie that was unpredictable or risky or even particularly clever.
Old 12-20-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

OK, I had stayed completely spoiler free before this but went back and watched the trailers. Luke does a voiceover in that one. There is really no other person that he can be talking to other than Rey, so doesn't that all but confirm Rey is a Skywalker?
Old 12-20-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

While all you guys are jizzing out over STAR WARS, I was home last night for the exciting premiere of the latest entry in the one movie franchise in which every installment is worth waiting for.

Eat your heart out, Chewbacca!
Old 12-20-15, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbob007
In my second viewing, I tried to specifically focus on Rey. At least there were enough layers, IMO, to make the movie interesting on repeat views.

Spoiler:
  • Rey seems amazed at the existence of Luke Skywalker.
  • Her Force hallucination was obviously important. There were three scenes in seeming chronological order: Luke/R2 in the rain followed by the Knights of Ren in the rain (but no Rey), presumably Rey being left on Jaaku with the junk dealer, and then Rey in the snow with Kylo Ren as happened on Starkiller Base. The dream also started with weird imagery that made me think of a series of force fields, similar to the once that separated Kenobi from Jin and Maul during their fight.
  • In Rey's conversation with Maz, she is asked to come to grips with the fact that no one was coming to rescue her from Jaaku. However, Maz mentions she could travel elsewhere and Rey says Luke.
  • Han very quickly warms to Rey (seemingly bonding over keeping the Falcon running). When Maz asks Han who she is, there is a cut and we never hear that description. Everyone afterwards just hears she's a scavenger.
  • Kylo is overly interested in the girl from Jaaku before he meets her.
  • During Rey's interrogation, Kylo Ren draws out imagery of an island ... a perhaps where Luke is found.

As I'm guessing is expected, her lineage is not 100% clear. If Luke is her father, she doesn't know it (at least by name alone). I did not get the impression that the Solos had more children. Extending the line of Obi-wan or Qui-gon would take some plot gymnastics to make it logical and compelling, especially since it seemed to skip mention in the OT.

There's also that
Spoiler:
interesting look that Han gives Rey when she makes a comment about the planet that Maz Kanata is on. When Rey says 'I didn't know there so much green in the whole galaxy'. I can't tell if Han is giving her that look because he is warming up to her a little at that point and he knows she was a Scavenger on Jakku, or if he knows something.
Old 12-20-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
In fact, there isn't a reused OT setpiece to be found in the entire prequel trilogy.
Uh, the award ceremony at the end of TPM?

Pod race = speeder chase?

Last edited by Shazam; 12-20-15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Do twins skip a generation? Considering Leia is a twin...

Spoiler:
maybe she also had twins and Kylo Ren has a sibling... Rey maybe?
That's where I think it's going.

Spoiler:
"Rey...I'm your brother. Search yourself..."
Old 12-20-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Uh, the award ceremony at the end of TPM?
That's the best example you could come up with? Here's a freebie: the final wedding shot in AotC was modeled after the final shot of TESB. There's a difference between callbacks/homages (which Lucas was actually obsessed with and pretentiously called "poetic) and just rehashing. TFA literally repurposes the whole plot of the original film.

Pod race = speeder chase?
What about the staging of those two sequences is similar? Why restrict the comparison to every scene in the series in which high-speed conveyances are zipping around?
Old 12-20-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the best example you could come up with? Here's a freebie: the final wedding shot in AotC was modeled after the final shot of TESB. There's a difference between callbacks/homages (which Lucas was actually obsessed with and pretentiously called "poetic) and just rehashing. TFA literally repurposes the whole plot of the original film.

What about the staging of those two sequences is similar? Why restrict the comparison to every scene in the series in which high-speed conveyances are zipping around?
We get it, you don't like the movie.
Old 12-20-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We get it, you don't like the movie.
But I do like it.
Old 12-20-15, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But I do like it.
Alright then, what's the problem then? Didn't quite meet your expectations? Well, nothing would have.
Old 12-20-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alright then, what's the problem then? Didn't quite meet your expectations? Well, nothing would have.
It was pretty much what I expected. That's essentially my point. I think just about anyone could have made this movie, or more specifically anyone in Abram's position would have made the same movie. It was reverse-engineered to be safe and pleasing on an executive level.

I got my money's worth. I was entertained. That said, there's nothing interesting about the movie.
Old 12-20-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

No mention of Coruscant, eh? Wonder if we'll ever see it again.
Old 12-20-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I was actually thinking Phasma was the only one around to be shown.

Yes. For as cool as she looked... she was rather pointless. Actually they could have handle her better.
Yeah her parts were kinda odd for me. I mean how long did they wait for her to come along before "capturing" her? Or was it just oddly convenient that she came along at the exact time they needed her?

And for as "badass" as she was suppose to look she sure gave in way to easily to bring down the shield down and screw over everyone. You'd think she'd have put up a bigger fight I mean even Rey had to use the force on some random trooper to get undone from her restraints and here we have Phasma, no force required, bringing down the planet's shield
Old 12-20-15, 10:21 PM
Suspended

In fact, there isn't a reused OT setpiece to be found in the entire prequel trilogy.
You're kidding, right?

http://www.starwars.com/news/paralle...than-you-think
Old 12-20-15, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

He mentions (while communing with Vader's helmet, I think) that he's being seduced by the light. My take is that he's a good kid, who rebelled against his parents and his uncle for some reason -- what, I don't think we know yet -- but at the end of the day, he's still the decent person that Han and Leia raised. So he wants to reject whatever it is that pushed him away from his family, and maybe he wants the power that he sees in the First Order, but he still struggles with what he has to do. I think we're going to really see some interesting parallels with Finn in subsequent movies; Finn basically did what Kylo (Ben) feels, on some level, that he should be doing.
Too late for that bullshit. He killed his father and there's no coming back from that.

Finn had that epiphany when his friend/or whoever that was got killed in front of him and smeared blood on his helmet.
Old 12-20-15, 10:59 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The phantom menace rehashes New Hope and ROTJ. Young Jedi from tatoine, young royal woman, gun-guns equal ewoks, there's a ground, space, and lightsaber battle going on all at once. The wonky pod race is the analog to the cantina scene.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-21-15 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 11:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Too late for that bullshit. He killed his father and there's no coming back from that.

Finn had that epiphany when his friend/or whoever that was got killed in front of him and smeared blood on his helmet.
Oh, I agree that the line Kylo has crossed makes it impossible to come back (though maybe Kasdan will surprise us). I just think there are some interesting parallels between the pull of Finn's conscience and the pull of Kylo's.
Old 12-20-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

RE: Guru Askew's post:

So then The Force Awakens is to New Hope what Predators is to Predator? That's the analogy I'm getting. That FA is basically a reboot for the new generation. #amirite
Old 12-20-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

On second viewing today, as much as it is for some comedic moments, I felt they could have just cast Kevin Hart as Finn.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.