Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'm sure this has been asked and answered somewhere in the past 50 pages, but who was the giant CGI guy sitting in the chair?
Not sure if serious.
Old 04-20-16, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how many times the movie has to tell you who he is for somebody to get it. Maybe... more than we got if he's serious?
Old 04-20-16, 01:21 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm sure this has been asked and answered somewhere in the past 50 pages, but who was the giant CGI guy sitting in the chair?
That was actually Clifford the dog. The CGI just sucked.
Old 04-20-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you asking if he's someone we know already? If there are theories about who he really is instead of what we were told onscreen?
Old 04-20-16, 01:55 PM
Banned

Maybe he's like... one of those guys that won't stop asking questions in the theaters?
Old 04-20-16, 02:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

let's get back on track.

Yay Dad Jokes!
Old 04-20-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

haha, I should have known better to ask such a question in this thread. Watching a movie for the first time, some folks don't pick up on everything

No worries, I'm sure some co-workers will probably know.
Old 04-20-16, 02:48 PM
Banned

Google.
Old 04-20-16, 02:52 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

haha, I should have known better to ask such a question in this thread. Watching a movie for the first time, some folks don't pick up on everything

No worries, I'm sure some co-workers will probably know.
Rey's father.
Old 04-20-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, thanks. Ducking out now until Episode 8 comes out on Blu Ray
Old 04-20-16, 02:58 PM

Ah, thanks. Ducking out now until Episode 8 comes out on Blu Ray
I honestly have no idea who he is other than he's named Snoke.
Old 04-20-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Rey's father.
I think he bought it!
Old 04-20-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, never mind. I already found it

The political leader of the First Order. He is Kylo Ren's master and is very powerful in the dark side.
Originally Posted by kefrank
I think he bought it!
I almost did

I've only seen each of the first six movies twice, once when they first came out on DVD and once again on Blu Ray. The series doesn't do much for me, but I still try to follow along when watching the movies every once in awhile. I'm sure I will forget who everyone is by the time Episode 8 comes out on Blu Ray.
Old 04-20-16, 03:11 PM

Spoiler:
Old 04-20-16, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

So I just finished watching this for the first time since seeing it in the theater. A couple things I took away from my second viewing.

The redundancy from A New Hope isn't nearly as glaring the second time. I enjoyed this well enough in the theater but was fairly annoyed by how much I thought it followed the same paces as the first Star Wars. Seeing it again, while still feeling fairly similar, I didn't get quite the stale impression I got at first.

After wondering why Kylo's lightsaber burns differently I came to the conclusion that he made it himself since he had no one to hand one down to him as Like did. To me it felt like part of his "costume" to be more like Vader, including the helmet he didn't really need. Hence why the saber blade seemed of lower quality.

All that's been made of that final shot, it's entirely possible that Luke was standing there as if he was waiting was because...he was waiting. The giant ass Millenium Falcon just landed on his tiny private island; I'm sure Luke knew someone with knowledge of his past was coming to see him.

Oh, and finally, I love Daisy Ridley.
Old 04-20-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So I just finished watching this for the first time since seeing it in the theater. A couple things I took away from my second viewing.

The redundancy from A New Hope isn't nearly as glaring the second time. I enjoyed this well enough in the theater but was fairly annoyed by how much I thought it followed the same paces as the first Star Wars. Seeing it again, while still feeling fairly similar, I didn't get quite the stale impression I got at first.

After wondering why Kylo's lightsaber burns differently I came to the conclusion that he made it himself since he had no one to hand one down to him as Like did. To me it felt like part of his "costume" to be more like Vader, including the helmet he didn't really need. Hence why the saber blade seemed of lower quality.

All that's been made of that final shot, it's entirely possible that Luke was standing there as if he was waiting was because...he was waiting. The giant ass Millenium Falcon just landed on his tiny private island; I'm sure Luke knew someone with knowledge of his past was coming to see him.

Oh, and finally, I love Daisy Ridley.

From Wookiepedia

"A single cracked Kyber crystal, barely able to contain the weapon's power, necessitated the lateral vents which diverted the extra heat produced by the crystal to either side of the hilt, and gave the weapon's red plasma blades an unstable, serrated appearance."
Old 04-21-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I heard this as a common complaint, but when I watched the movie for the first time on BluRay, I didn't really find TFA to be too much of a rehash of the original film. The Honest Trailers showed all of the parallels back-to-back, but when watching the movie, it seems surprisingly fresh. I think the energy of the new actors plays a big contributing factor there.
Old 04-21-16, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I heard this as a common complaint, but when I watched the movie for the first time on BluRay, I didn't really find TFA to be too much of a rehash of the original film. The Honest Trailers showed all of the parallels back-to-back, but when watching the movie, it seems surprisingly fresh. I think the energy of the new actors plays a big contributing factor there.

quoted for truth
Old 04-21-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

This can't be overstated enough. The three new faces (plus BB-8) combined with Harrison Ford dumping three movies worth of snark into one film lets the movie rise above any issues one might have with the repeating themes.
Old 04-21-16, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Old 04-21-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Harrison Ford's On-Set Injury Rescued The Force Awakens

The day the door of the Millennium Falcon fell on Harrison Ford, shattering his ankle, everyone thought Star Wars: The Force Awakens was doomed. But it turns out, the opposite happened. Co-writer and director J.J. Abrams recently revealed this delay helped him refocus the film’s most important relationship: Finn and Rey.

“When I was on the set of the Millennium Falcon and we started to do work with Rey and Finn, the first time we did it, it didn’t work at all,” Abrams said at the Tribeca Film Festival. “It was much more contentious. I didn’t direct it right. It was set up all wrong, and when Harrison Ford got injured—which was a very scary day—we ended up having a few weeks off, and it was during that time that I really got to look at what we had done and rewrite quite a bit of that relationship. So when we came back to work again, we actually just reshot from the ground up, those scenes. It was an amazingly helpful thing to get these two characters to where they needed to be.”

In the final movie, the relationship between the two is respectful, friendly and fun. It works incredibly well, helping the audience fall in love with them both.

Abrams also explained that while many people have complained The Force Awakens is nothing but a copy of A New Hope, that was actually the point, and he understands the frustration.

“The weird thing about that movie is that it had been so long since the last one. Obviously the prequels had existed in between and we wanted to, sort of, reclaim the story,” Abrams said. “So we very consciously—and I know it is derided for this—we very consciously tried to borrow familiar beats, so the rest of the movie could hang on something that we knew was Star Wars.”

Basically, they felt they wanted to give audiences a reminder of what made Star Wars great. Something simple and familiar. And then, Episodes VIII and IX could have the freedom to get weird.

“This movie was a bridge and a kind of reminder,” Abrams said. “The audience needed to be reminded what Star Wars is, but it needed to be established with something familiar, with a sense of where we are going to new lands, which is very much what 8 and 9 do.”
Old 04-21-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by zero
From Wookiepedia

"A single cracked Kyber crystal, barely able to contain the weapon's power, necessitated the lateral vents which diverted the extra heat produced by the crystal to either side of the hilt, and gave the weapon's red plasma blades an unstable, serrated appearance."
Who comes up with this stuff?!

And I still say he made the lightsaber himself to be just like grandpa.
Old 04-21-16, 02:01 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Agreed. It has improved for me on repeat viewings.
Old 04-21-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I honestly have no idea who he is other than he's named Snoke.
He was actually the Snoke Monster from "Lost."
Old 04-22-16, 09:51 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Agreed. It has improved for me on repeat viewings.
I like the movie, love Rey and it was cool seeing Han, but the energy did not overcome the fact that the movie is more of a remake than a sequel. The movie would have been just as effective without that ludicrous death ray thing, or the Tatooine clone at the beginning and on and on and on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.