Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Old 01-13-16, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) The Reviews Thread SPOILERS

Originally Posted by HN View Post
hmm...imagining it like this, you're right, that actually would have made it even cooler.

stuck saber -- ren force fail -- stuck saber -- ren force fail -- flying saber -- rey catches

vs.

stuck saber -- ren force -- flying saber -- rey catch
Had they gone with the second option, without Ren's "force fail," half the audience would've thought he intentionally and immediately delivered the saber into Rey's hands.

Maybe I'm just in a mood tonight, but the more trivial "tweaks" I see fans suggesting would've made the movie better, the more I realize fandom doesn't WANT to be satisfied. Was it perfect? No. But whenever I think about it, I think about the things I loved, which are almost too many to list. (Top of the heap: Chewie's reaction to Solo's death, Rey getting the saber, "we're home," seeing that Rey lives in a downed AT-AT, BB-8's thumbs-up, etc., etc.) Delivering product to fanboys is such a thankless job... save for the millions of dollars the devoted whiners hand over.

Sorry... like I said... in a mood.
Old 01-13-16, 06:52 PM
Banned

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Not exactly. The shot where it flies up and passes Ren almost hitting him kind of stops that thought.

Less is more. That's for a good chunk of the film. Though it also has issues where an expansion would have helped too. *shrugs shoulders*
Old 01-13-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The saber was like eight feet from him, but he didn't think to, I don't know, walk to it?
Old 01-13-16, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
The saber was like eight feet from him, but he didn't think to, I don't know, walk to it?
He's a a cocky mf'r.
Old 01-13-16, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
For the same reason that, at any given moment, there are 1,000,000 Americans on the couch, staring at their remote control all the way over there, on the other side of the room, glaring.
Old 01-14-16, 04:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by story View Post
For the same reason that, at any given moment, there are 1,000,000 Americans on the couch, staring at their remote control all the way over there, on the other side of the room, glaring.
he's a lazy fat fuck?
Old 01-14-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Less is more. That's for a good chunk of the film. Though it also has issues where an expansion would have helped too. *shrugs shoulders*
Funnily enough, it got nominated for a best editing oscar.
Old 01-14-16, 09:19 AM
Banned

Not sure how that happened considering how it does feel truncated at times. I'm fine w/ the editing. It just could be be much better in getting pinpoint execution. Score too. I don't really remember anything impressive from it. It was good cuz it's Williams but nothing really memorable.
Old 01-14-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story View Post
That would be the number one use of Force powers in America, pulling the remote. Plus, again, it made for a cool scene and a callback to Empire.
Old 01-14-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That would be the number one use of Force powers in America, pulling the remote. Plus, again, it made for a cool scene and a callback to Empire.
And every time I use it to get my remote, I expect it to jiggle a little bit first followed by a small pause, before it triumphantly flies to my hand.
Old 01-14-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We had our house broken into last year--all they took was a TV, although it still sucked. But during their smash-and-grab they managed to track down the remote! Still boggles my mind--I can never find the thing half the time, yet they managed to grab it off my couch.

Sorry for the digression, but...
Old 01-14-16, 12:03 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
We had our house broken into last year--all they took was a TV, although it still sucked. But during their smash-and-grab they managed to track down the remote! Still boggles my mind--I can never find the thing half the time, yet they managed to grab it off my couch.

Sorry for the digression, but...
how do you know it's still not in your house but you just haven't found it yet?
Old 01-14-16, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HN View Post
how do you know it's still not in your house but you just haven't found it yet?
Old 01-14-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually looked...ha ha!
Old 01-14-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not exactly. The shot where it flies up and passes Ren almost hitting him kind of stops that thought.

Then I content that had there not been a "force fail" moment on Ren's part, the internet would explode with, "How could Rey, who just learned about the Force, so easily out-Force a trained Sith/Jedi like Ren?! NERD RAGE!"
Old 01-14-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Funnily enough, it got nominated for a best editing oscar.
You win the Internet for today.
Old 01-14-16, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
Then I content that had there not been a "force fail" moment on Ren's part, the internet would explode with, "How could Rey, who just learned about the Force, so easily out-Force a trained Sith/Jedi like Ren?! NERD RAGE!"
You're misunderstanding. I'm not against the force fail. I'm against at how long he struggles w/ it. Because it lessens the impact of surprise. The longer it held onto him struggling w/ it the easier it is to see that we knew Ren wasn't going to get it cuz it's such a simple thing for him to do. If we didn't get the 2nd cut back to him it would have been stronger.

The longer it holds on him struggling the more telegraphed it is in that something is going to happen w/ that lightsaber that isn't in Ren's favor. If it didn't have that 2nd shot back to him it would been more surprising. The end result of it is badass no matter what cuz of what happens w/ the lightsaber once it hits Rey. But the lead up of it could have been better constructed by not letting the audience on the fact that Ren isn't going to get it. Ren doesn't know it but we already know it. So no surprise the in path/execution.

It'd just be better if we learn of it all along w/ Ren instead of being step ahead of him.
Old 01-14-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

. Score too. I don't really remember anything impressive from it. It was good cuz it's Williams but nothing really memorable.
I would recommend listening to the Star Wars Oxygen podcast hosted by Rebel Force Radio. They've done 2 breakdown episodes about TFA's score and you'd be surprised at how clever JW got to be in this one.
Old 01-15-16, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 01-16-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think this has been posted yet. Abrams, Kasdan and Arndt Q&A after a viewing at the WGA:

Old 01-18-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally saw this over the weekend. I'd say, as a Star Wars fan, it was pretty darn good. It's not as good as the originals, but waaaaay better than the prequels. It was fun, fast paced, funny, and full of action.

My wife, who wasn't really too exited to see the movie and whom I didn't think was much of a fan, got way more emotional during the movie than I did. When the Millennium Falcon is first show, she audibly gasped and grabbed my hand. So maybe it's nostalgia, but it definitely was hitting all the right notes.
Old 01-22-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I was cruising around Youtube last night and came across several videos discussing Force Awakens deleted scenes. The following points are cooberated by several different videos/reviews:

1. The oft rumored idea that the opening shot would be Luke's lightsaber drifting through space WAS at one time the scripted opening
2. When Rey touches the lightsaber triggering a rush of sights and sounds it was originally intended to replay the entire final confrontation between Luke and Vader on Bespin, showing Luke's hand being chopped, and then a montage following the saber as it travels across the galaxy, changing hands many times and finally coming into possession of Maz Kanatta.
3. Maz was intended to actually use the force to cause a ceiling to collapse and kill some First Order guys.

Number 2 above is the reason why Mattel made a Force Awakens "Luke in Bespin Outfit" action figure. I saw that thing at Target and was confused.

What do you guys think? Were they ever REALLY going to go with the first shot being the lightsaber or was that subterfuge to hide the real story? Some people complain that The Force Awakens is too much like New Hope at the expense of something new. If these rumors are true it would seem they were going for something new and then cut the whole thing out at the last minute.

It seems that everything about Maz Kanata was mishandled. Everything I hear is that the part was reduced, changed mid-shoot, that the actor couldn't handle the motion capture, etc. If she used the force then I guess at one time she was created as a Yoda-like character. In the final cut she has almost no relevance to the plot.

Also, regarding number two: Had Rey seen a vision of the dual she would know that Luke is Vader's father. As it is in the final cut she does not know this info. She has gone off the find Luke but she does not know about his parentage. This makes me wonder, does everyone know the secret? Kylo Ren knows it, but does C3PO? Does Chewbacca? Does everyone in the First Order know that Ren is a descendent of Vader?

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-23-16 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-22-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Number 2 above is the reason why Mattel made a Force Awakens "Luke in Bespin Outfit" action figure. I saw that thing at Target and was confused.
Surely you mean Hasbro. I don't think Mattel has ever made a Star Wars toy.
Old 01-22-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Whatever.
Old 01-23-16, 02:05 AM

And also each line of that style of Force Awakens figure has had one to two figures from other enterprises, like Rebels.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.