Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by kefrank
I think one of the things that might make people feel it was an underdeveloped role was that the actor is more well-known than most others in the movie and not that the story actually needs anything more from that character.
That's exactly why I assumed his role was originally supposed to be bigger. As it is, I'm perfectly fine with him being a secondary character. I don't really need to know any more about Poe than what we already know. I just thought the way they wrote him back into the story was really sloppy and took me out of the movie a bit. As I watched it I couldn't help but think about what went on behind the scenes with that character. Part of that is on me and my expectations for the character just based on the actor playing the part and part of that is on JJ for trying to pull a fast one on the audience. The fact that the character isn't really meaningful to the story other than "he's cool," makes it kind of a double bummer. I didn't feel like the positives of bringing him back outweighed the negative from a narrative standpoint.
Old 01-05-16, 01:40 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I liked that as well for a couple reasons - as you mentioned the who damsel in distress thing is annoying... but I also never found it made much sense in movies... in fact, it's annoyed me for a long time. Why would holding her hand make her run faster?
i always thought that was to prevent getting separated rather than getting the person to run faster
Old 01-05-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I liked that as well for a couple reasons - as you mentioned the who damsel in distress thing is annoying... but I also never found it made much sense in movies... in fact, it's annoyed me for a long time. Why would holding her hand make her run faster?
I would think that if you are leading someone from danger and you have to cut right or left really fast, they cut with you.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 01-05-16 at 01:43 PM. Reason: HN beat me to it.
Old 01-05-16, 01:45 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Saw it again last night. Appreciating the score a lot more, that soundtrack is growing on me.

A moment I truly appreciate: when Finn runs through Maz's castle rubble and shouts, "REY!" as Kylo Ren's ship takes off, not only is it a great moment of emotional acting from John Boyega, I really appreciate the sheer enormity of that real life set. It really feels like he's there and it's a massive set. So awesome!

Had an odd thought, dunno if it holds any water, but it's not any crazier than the other Snoke theories out there:

Spoiler:
What if Snoke is Kylo Ren from the future? They both now have the same sort of facial scar...

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
It may not be so much of forcing it down your throat type of thing but i did enjoy Rey's line when they were running on Jakku... “I know how to run without you holding my hand.”

Not some super feminist line or whatever but it was nice to see that Rey was her own person and not falling into a damsel role. Not that the marketing showed that but... mainstream films love that damsel in distress shit.
Agreed. For all the people who complain about this, I'd love to see someone compile a super cut of all the instances in which a male character takes a female character's hand so they can run away in a chase. I bet it happens so much we're conditioned to not even notice it anymore. But when a character actively points out that she doesn't want that, suddenly some people are upset? Please, let it go.

Originally Posted by Shazam
You know, I liked the fact that the peripheral characters were interesting.
Also agreed. Many of the side characters felt like they had story behind them, like they lived in that world. Think about that docking bay commander on the Death Star in ROTJ who says, "Inform the commander that Lord Vader's shuttle has arrived." What's his story? WHO CARES?! Now think about that Lieutenant who abandons his post as he watches the TIE Fighter launch pad break up. He backs away, has a panicky look, and leaves, and when told to get back to his post and he says, "We'll never survive! Even Hux is gone!" What's his story? He tried hard and now he's scared; the bravado tactics of the First Order are flimsy at best. TONS of story in that one moment.

I think one of the things that might make people feel it was an underdeveloped role was that the actor is more well-known than most others in the movie and not that the story actually needs anything more from that character.
He's the only new actor I knew going into TFA and that was because he played a side character in Drive.
Old 01-05-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
i always thought that was to prevent getting separated rather than getting the person to run faster
Exactly. I don't hold my 2-year old's hand to drag him at my pace. It's to stay together.
Old 01-05-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Spoiler:
What if Snoke is Kylo Ren from the future? They both now have the same sort of facial scar...
Perhaps, JJ Abrams loves
Spoiler:
time travel
in his stories.
Old 01-05-16, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked that as well for a couple reasons - as you mentioned the whole damsel in distress thing is annoying... but I also never found it made much sense in movies... in fact, it's annoyed me for a long time. Why would holding her hand make her run faster?
Indeed. And Rey knew wtf she was doing. She was running away from that and she was leading that situation. Finn is scared as fuck and just wants to run away. No real solution. He's freaking the fuck out. It's more for him cuz he has nobody.

Originally Posted by HN
That but also to push the other person to catch up w/o losing them.

And also cuz they may not run as fast.

The guy is usually much more capable than the gal. Here it moves back and forth a bit but Rey is stronger person. She's a survivor.

That whole situation w/ Rey was literally my favorite moment in VII cuz she was calling out the cliche and and she was realistically capable of handling herself. Not some overblown badass.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-05-16 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope that he struggles w/ himself but I'd hate it if he redeemed himself. Just to spice it up that not everyone can be saved.
I look forward to him getting lightsabered up into little bits.
Old 01-05-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

http://geektyrant.com/news/andy-serk...darth-plagueis
Old 01-05-16, 03:42 PM
Banned

I already posted that.
Old 01-05-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I already posted that.
Damn...
Old 01-05-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Is it a common opinion that Driver was fantastic? Not so much the actor maybe, but I found that role to be cringeworthy awful. Everytime he spoke or threw a tantrum I laughed or rolled my eyes. Agree with the first two being amazingly good though.
I've seen FA multiple times and thought his portrayal was quite good and improves with repeated viewings (at least it does for me). As others have said, he's not the typical mustache twirling "look how bad I am" villain. I'm really curious to see how far they carry his internal conflict since he's trying to be bad rather than trying to redeem himself.

But, that being said, Rey (Daisy) is the show stealer here. Such an engaging portrayal. Loved the little subtle looks and body language she used.

I never really thought I'd get another Star Wars movie I'd love in my lifetime (While I don't totally disregard the prequels, they weren't what I was hoping for).
Old 01-05-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

But, that being said, Rey (Daisy) is the show stealer here. Such an engaging portrayal. Loved the little subtle looks and body language she used.
Yep. I absolutely love the faces she makes whenever she gets information pertaining to the OT. In particular:

"Luke Skywalker? I thought he was a myth??"
"This is the Millenium Falcon? YOU'RE Han Solo?"
"So the Jedi were real"
Old 01-05-16, 04:26 PM
Banned

She was a great find. I'm happy for her. That and she got a great character.
Old 01-05-16, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I would think that if you are leading someone from danger and you have to cut right or left really fast, they cut with you.
So the guy holds her hand the whole time while running? And she can't just see he's cutting one way and go with him... or he tells her "turn left!"?
And if that's the reason, then why aren't guys holding each others hands when running? The two could separate just as easily when one cuts without the other. It's dumb.
Old 01-05-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Exactly. I don't hold my 2-year old's hand to drag him at my pace. It's to stay together.
Your 2-year old has the intelligence of a 2-year old. A grown woman knows how to "stay together". And yes, as stated above, two guys never hold each others hands (and a woman never leads a man by the hand) when running away when the odds of getting separated is just as high. It's a sexist trope that has become so engrained in us that people actually question it as odd when a woman shows some strength in a survival situation.
Old 01-05-16, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
...people [are] happy to see positive, relatable characters presented as role models to kids who happen to be girls or black.
Solid Snake's point about loosely concealing her MAIN role for a surprise is well taken (though the main poster is hardly subtle), but it's still a pity that the marketing machine has - yet again, c.f. Black Widow - largely failed to market toys "for girls". Nevermind that all toy audiences will want the main character(s) either for playing/re-enacting or display. A little disappointed in Disney for that.

Last edited by ntnon; 01-05-16 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Ultimately, the way they handled Poe felt pretty sloppy. It's not a huge deal on its own, but there were enough of those sorts of little script issues that collectively it took the film down a notch for me. It's weird, but the script for TFA somehow feels simultaneously underwritten and overwritten. I'd love to see a longer cut or something like the annotated screenplays book where we can see how the script developed. Unfortunately I doubt we'll get either.
I wonder if they actually did make a concerted attempt to retain as much of Arndt/Lucas' treatment/script as possible, resulting in the uneven marriage of near-contradictory elements..?

Does the Disney/Marvel-style slipcased book go into detail on script changes alongside the early art, or not?
Old 01-05-16, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Is it a common opinion that Driver was fantastic? Not so much the actor maybe, but I found that role to be cringeworthy awful. Everytime he spoke or threw a tantrum I laughed or rolled my eyes. Agree with the first two being amazingly good though.
Seems to be, but that was the feeling here, too.
Old 01-05-16, 09:00 PM

Sounds like he was originally supposed to die in the crash on Jakku. That probably would have made a little more sense for the narrative than what we ended up with. That said, I thought the character of Poe definitely added something to the X-Wing counter-attack...
That would have made things a little less... either coincidental/convenient or plot-hole-y. Him being involved in the X-Wing attacks made me think that this is how everyone in the SW universe must have felt about Luke: someone we don't know, with few credentials other than "best pilot ever" drafted in to save the day, (despite Poe's only on-screen exploits being "getting captured" and "crashing"..)!
Old 01-05-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Had an odd thought, dunno if it holds any water, but it's not any crazier than the other Snoke theories out there:

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Rob V
Perhaps, JJ Abrams loves
Spoiler:
time travel
in his stories.
Ye gods, I hope not.

Spoiler:
Time travel
is the absolute last thing that the Star Wars universe needs.
Old 01-05-16, 09:22 PM

A female view of the female hero - by Sarah Maria Griffin, here - says this about the hand-holding:

Finn takes her hand. She scolds him, twice – why does he keep doing that – then, when she realises (when we realise) it’s not just mere flirtation, but that his experience has earned him an understanding of how large-scale attacks work: she takes his hand instead. She won’t be led anywhere. They’ll be working in tandem.
Old 01-05-16, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Ye gods, I hope not.

Spoiler:
Time travel
is the absolute last thing that the Star Wars universe needs.
But how else could Anakin have a father, and the cycle be complete...?
Old 01-05-16, 09:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

off topic, but my triplets turn 7 tomorrow and they all wanted Star Wars cakes. I spent all night decorating these fuckers from scratch. not too shabby if I do say so myself. Carry on.
Old 01-05-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.