Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Old 12-28-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

It might make more sense for her to do more in the sequel. She'd have more of a reason to want revenge on Finn and there's probably going to be more time for developing her character. This film needed to focus on Rey, Finn, and Kylo first. At the end of the day though she's really just a Trooper in fancier armor with a name.
Old 12-28-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I don't buy the "no time" to develop her bit. If so, then it should have been her against Finn instead of fucking Baton boy. Sheesh, what a waste.
Old 12-28-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus, stop being a mouth breather about this. You're acting like they don't have 2 more movies to build her up better. Because if it was him against her instead of baton boy, people would be bitching that she wasn't bad ass enough to just take him out in two seconds.

This isn't a case of Aurra Sing or anything, so calm your calzones, homie.
Old 12-28-15, 01:48 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Jesus, stop being a mouth breather about this. You're acting like they don't have 2 more movies to build her up better. Because if it was him against her instead of baton boy, people would be bitching that she wasn't bad ass enough to just take him out in two seconds.
Exactly -- we don't know what plans they have for Phasma. But depending on what they are, having her get defeated by Finn in a straight-up fight might not make sense.

I'm kind of bemused by this whole Phasma thing, though -- I remember when Empire came out and everyone thought Boba Fett was the most bad-ass character ever, even though all he really did was stand next to Darth Vader.
Old 12-28-15, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I vaguely remember, and could be wrong, JJ saying that Phasma's design was originally made for Kylo Ren, but they went in another direction, but loved the look so created the character just to go with the cool costume they just made.
You're not. Phasma's design was from Ren's conception.

That still doesn't help that the character was kind of a throwaway. As previously mentioned, I'm guessing she was a character that got hurt by the edit.
Old 12-28-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watch, it's all fun and fucking games now - but I'll see you fuckers in a couple of years when the next Avatar films are released. We'll see who will be nitpicking then. It seems that when it comes to Star Wars the mouth breathers find excuses for everything.

#selectivenitpicking
Old 12-28-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

What does Avatar or its sequels have to do with anything? I'm not making excuses about Phasma I just think some people are making her not having a large role in the film to be a bigger deal than it is.
Old 12-28-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
I just felt like they tried to cram too story into 2hrs 16min. They advanced things way too quickly and I wish they would have done a better job fleshing out the story more. While I liked the new characters I just didn't have any emotional attachment to any of them and was never really concerned when they were faced with a dangerous situation.
I thought there was too little story, and my family felt the film overlong. And I agree that there wasn't really enough reason - for me - to care about any of the main characters, which concerned me. But I seem to be mostly alone thinking that!

Kylo Ren was a big disappointment. And despite the idea to cast relative unknowns, I think the Order could have used some familiar faces to add gravitas to their side. A giant imaginary CGI unknown, an occasionally-talentless whiney wannabe and a youthful rubbish nonHitler-lite trying to corral a bunch of Storm Troopers that were no longer clones but had instead been very, very poorly brainwashed. They seemed like an army of autonomous individuals, not a faceless forced evil. Which seems off.
Old 12-28-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by Mike86
What does Avatar or its sequels have to do with anything? I'm not making excuses about Phasma I just think some people are making her not having a large role in the film to be a bigger deal than it is.
And I'd rather they not blew their load all at once on this if they could afford to avoid it and spread out the characters for a trilogy.
Old 12-28-15, 02:07 PM
Banned

It might make more sense for her to do more in the sequel. She'd have more of a reason to want revenge on Finn and there's probably going to be more time for developing her character. This film needed to focus on Rey, Finn, and Kylo first. At the end of the day though she's really just a Trooper in fancier armor with a name.
Revenge for essentially throwing her in the trash?

sarcasm aside, VII needed something more in the script or the edit. Poe, Phasma, and Hux (as examples) are rather underdeveloped.

Yes. We have a trilogy. But that shouldn't be a reason to have that kind of feeling from any character. The film has to be self contained either way. We're leaping into this world again but storytelling shouldn't be fractured like that. VII had some issues. It's still a good film but it had some issues that either it couldn't fix in the edit or it just didn't come out right from the script.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't buy the "no time" to develop her bit. If so, then it should have been her against Finn instead of fucking Baton boy. Sheesh, what a waste.
While I may not hate TR-8R like you, I don't mind that some other Stormtrooper was kicking ass either. Considering how faceless they are... they're bound to be some badasses in there somewhere. Whatever the Empire failed to do... the First Order got right w/ their guys.

Building her up is one thing... underdeveloped w/ how awkward she was used? Is something to discuss.

Originally Posted by JasonF
Exactly -- we don't know what plans they have for Phasma. But depending on what they are, having her get defeated by Finn in a straight-up fight might not make sense.

I'm kind of bemused by this whole Phasma thing, though -- I remember when Empire came out and everyone thought Boba Fett was the most bad-ass character ever, even though all he really did was stand next to Darth Vader.
Well she's a High ranking Stormtrooper... and she's female. So that makes her more interesting. Than the normal Stormtrooper.
Old 12-28-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Saying Hux is underdeveloped is like saying Tarkin was underdeveloped in ANH.

We're thrown into the story and see this is the bad guy in charge. OK, we get it, let's get on with the story.

We didn't need Tarkin's life story to move on and get with the narrative.

Don't need Poe's either. He's a badass pilot. Crawler told us he's the best. Cool. Let's see what he does from here.

Last edited by GuessWho; 12-28-15 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Saying Hux is underdeveloped is like saying Tarken was underdeveloped in ANH.

We're thrown into the story and see this is the bad guy in charge. OK, we get it, let's get on with the story.

We didn't need Tarkin's life story to move on and get with the narrative.

Don't need Poe's either. He's a badass pilot. Crawler told us he's the best. Cool. Let's see what he does from here.
And, using the example of a hugely popular character from the OT, Boba Fett wasn't really well-developed in the original films. He was just this relatively silent bounty hunter in cool armor and not much more. And, oh man, look what happened when Lucas felt the need to provide his backstory in the prequels. There's an argument against overly developing characters that are only there to play specific roles.
Old 12-28-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All those prequel Senate scenes... and the Senate is disbanded with one line of dialogue in ANH. Not everything needs to be overly explained.
Old 12-28-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was generalizing. Shit, other than Star Wars (prequels aside) seem to always get passes no matter what. Just scan the previous pages. Folks hated this and that, but ZOMG I gotta see it 5 more times just to make sure. Then someone points out that a certain character and plot point was garbage and the defenders come out. That's what I don't get.

Hell, I thought it was entertaining enough, but it has problems.
Old 12-28-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

to me, it wasn't about her backstory. I don't care about her history, how she became a captain, etc. I just wanted her to DO more. As it stood, she said some things in the background, and caved at the first sign of trouble. Pretty underwhelming.
Old 12-28-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
to me, it wasn't about her backstory. I don't care about her history, how she became a captain, etc. I just wanted her to DO more. As it stood, she said some things in the background, and caved at the first sign of trouble. Pretty underwhelming.
True, but the filmmakers clearly felt the character fulfilled her role in the film. It's a testament to the strength of the character design, publicity, etc. that some wanted more from her. And maybe that will come in future films.
Old 12-28-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn Haters!
Old 12-28-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fucking Mouth breathers, bitching that they didn't do more with a side character when they clearly had to worry about fleshing out the main characters.
Old 12-28-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, exactly.
Old 12-28-15, 04:09 PM
Banned

This.
Old 12-28-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Badass Phasma: Being locked in the trash compactor is what saved her when the planet blew up.

precedent: Indiana Jones survives nuclear blast in refrigerator
Old 12-28-15, 04:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

They make the trash compactors out of the same material as the black box.
Old 12-28-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Badass Phasma: Being locked in the trash compactor is what saved her when the planet blew up.

precedent: Indiana Jones survives nuclear blast in refrigerator

Also known as bad storytelling. The fact that you went with the abomination that was Crystal Skull makes it abundantly clear.
Old 12-28-15, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ugh, Mouth breathers and basement dwellers still complaining about a fridge surviving a nuclear blast when in the past films a man gets his still beating heart pulled out of his chest, also father survives a bullet wound by pouring religious water given by a man a few hundred years old.... but nah, dawg. MY DISBELIEF IS RUINED WHEN INDIANA JONES DOESN'T BECOME A SHADOW ON THE GROUND.

Stop hyping characters up in your mind. It's like saying that storm troopers with red shoulder pads shouldn't miss because they have red shoulder pads! Clearly they were underdeveloped as they looked different!
Old 12-28-15, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Independence Day 2 trailer was for 3D screens only? It didn't play at my 2D screen for TFA.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.