Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Perfection lost. First rotten review from Roger Moore(Movie Nation), who calls the movie "A glib fascimile".
Old 12-16-15, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Most likely the biggest criticism of the film... playing it safe... but this is essentially a reboot of sorts... I don't mind if it is the same adventure tone of ANH - what else are they supposed to do exactly? I would look to Ep8 and 9 to really deliver something dark and different....
Tone doesn't seem to be the problem so much as imagination.
Without spoiling a plot point that some of us were afraid of once we saw the one-sheet, what we get here is the equivalent of a yet another Luthor real estate scheme.
But wait- Singer argues that it isn't the same as the original film "this time Luthor doesn't want to destroy a continent...he wants to grow one, along with developing alien technology...see how much different and more interesting that is?"

Devin says this is the film for the re-mix generation, and from the plot points I'm only glancing, that's exactly what it seems to be.

Sounds like it will be awesome fun for people who didn't grow up with the originals, as well as for oldsters who have never been bothered by ROTJ and it's...imagination.
Old 12-16-15, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Sounds like it will be awesome fun for people who didn't grow up with the originals, as well as for oldsters who have never been bothered by ROTJ and it's...imagination.
That doesn't sound like too many people honestly, most everyone 'grew up' with the OT, right? I never saw them in theaters but I always knew what SW was. One of my first SW memories was seeing the ROTJ VHS cardboard display at the rental store... I just knew that it was Luke and Yoda, even though I hadn't seen the movie yet.
Old 12-16-15, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the review thread so I'll keep any more responses confined to the discussion thread.

Other positive review thoughts I'm seeing

- Kylo Renn is a great villain in the classic mold of Vader- "seething with rage" is how one person put it.
This seems to be a consistent impression, which is good news.

(I just hope that doesn't mean he will turn out to be Luke's son and just need some loving and redemption two films from now)
Old 12-16-15, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
Perfection lost. First rotten review from Roger Moore(Movie Nation), who calls the movie "A glib fascimile".
I remember reading rumors that the movie was essentially a rehash of the original film before they even started filming it. There were rumblings that the art department was discouraged because they were only being asked to riff on what had already been done.

From following spoilers, I know there are many scenes that pay "homage" to situations we saw play out in A New Hope. They simply changed the settings and then put it all in a blender. I realize they're not reinventing the wheel here -- I'm just hoping it's an entertaining ride that sets the stage for something more daring down the line. If the reviews are any indication, mission accomplished.
Old 12-16-15, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Oh, great. So basically the Superman Returns of Star Wars films
Old 12-16-15, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
From following spoilers, I know there are many scenes that pay "homage" to situations we saw play out in A New Hope. They simply changed the settings and then put it all in a blender. I realize they're not reinventing the wheel here -- I'm just hoping it's an entertaining ride that sets the stage for something more daring down the line. If the reviews are any indication, mission accomplished.
And that's fine with me... ANH wasn't anything original, it's the classic fairy tale but told in a new way... I don't mind if this is essentially a big budget reboot of that. I am expecting some new twists and turns from the following films....
Old 12-16-15, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Artman
And that's fine with me... ANH wasn't anything original, it's the classic fairy tale but told in a new way... I don't mind if this is essentially a big budget reboot of that. I am expecting some new twists and turns from the following films....
It's one thing to be inspired by something (or many different things).
It's another to outright crib the same beats and set pieces.
And I'll never be able to wrap my head around the people that can't see or tell there is massive a distinction there.

That said, I ventured further into Devin's review and it sounds like shitty retread and spun story beats aside, the film mostly left a more positive than negative impression for him

Here’s what Star Wars: The Force Awakens needed to accomplish: it needed to be better than the Prequels, and it is. It needed to introduce an iconic new set of heroes, and it did. Finally it needed to be at least a good movie, and it pretty much squeaks to this level. The Force Awakens is not a great movie by any means, especially in a year where two other returns to 70s franchises were absolute home runs. It’s not as good as any of the Original Trilogy, but it’s better than all of the Prequels. It’s got all the flaws that make JJ Abrams films frustrating to me, but it also has all of the positive aspects that make his best films very watchable. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is okay, and it leaves us in a place that makes me hopeful for the future of the series.
That to me is a great review and makes me a lot more hopeful I can look past the lack of imagination and hopefully find plenty of other stuff to groove on and even more hopefully, be left with something that stimulates my imagination for future events to come with these characters in this universe.
Old 12-16-15, 06:09 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Oh, great. So basically the Superman Returns of Star Wars films
Probably more like Jurassic World.
Old 12-16-15, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

97% with 110 reviews sounds promising to me
Old 12-16-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Probably more like Jurassic World.
Please God no. Jurassic World is the worst movie I've seen this year.
Old 12-16-15, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Please God no. Jurassic World is the worst movie I've seen this year.
Loved JW, from what I have read it does pay tribute to the original SW movies...but, going forward it will be it's own path.

Every review I have read has given it big thumbs up.
Old 12-16-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The Force Awakens is not a great movie by any means, especially in a year where two other returns to 70s franchises were absolute home runs.

What were those "two other returns to '70s franchises"?
Old 12-16-15, 09:02 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Creed and Mad Max.
Old 12-16-15, 09:04 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Mad Max was the '80s. No one saw the original in 1979, it was all about the Road Warrior.
Old 12-16-15, 09:10 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

God I hope it's better than Fury Road. Easily the most disappointing movie of the year for me.
Old 12-16-15, 09:17 AM

That to me is a great review and makes me a lot more hopeful I can look past the lack of imagination and hopefully find plenty of other stuff to groove on and even more hopefully, be left with something that stimulates my imagination for future events to come with these characters in this universe.
That's not a great review at all. How I miss Roger Ebert and others who really paint a picture of what a movie is. Film criticism is beyond lackluster in this day and age.
Old 12-16-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I am stunned that reviews on this movie would matter to anyone. You will either see it or you won't. There is no review in the world that could convince me to see this in the theater. I will see it eventually but I can wait. SW and Empire to me are the only good ones that have held up.
Old 12-16-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brack
That's not a great review at all. How I miss Roger Ebert and others who really paint a picture of what a movie is. Film criticism is beyond lackluster in this day and age.
Did you read the entire review here?

It was great to me because he was overall very fair and balanced as to what he felt were the films positive aspects and negatives. It also had a minimum of snark and didn't just recap the plot. It made it's points in a mostly general fashion with just a few specifics to drive those points home.

And on the whole, it was actually positive. If the story conceptually is a disappointing lowest common denominator move, he still gives Abrams marks for making it more entertaining than not.
Old 12-16-15, 09:54 AM

Did you read the entire review here?

It was great to me because he was overall very fair and balanced as to what he felt were the films positive aspects and negatives. It also had a minimum of snark and didn't just recap the plot. It made it's points in a mostly general fashion with just a few specifics to drive points home.

And on the whole, it was actually positive. If the story conceptually was a disappointment, he still gives Abrams marks for making it more entertaining than not.
I did not, though I will read it after I see the film tomorrow. Until then, I want to go into seeing this as "pure" as possible.
Old 12-16-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
That's pretty awesome. Surprised people are still skeptical. Honestly as someone that's not a big Star Wars fan this actually has me excited that this will be better then all the previous movies, including the original trilogy that find only mildly entertaining.
Old 12-16-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Mad Max was the '80s. No one saw the original in 1979, it was all about the Road Warrior.
Well, to be fair, the only Star Wars that came out in the '70s was the first one. The other two, including the best one, came out in the '80s.
Old 12-16-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roger Moore with the reality check...

http://rogersmovienation.com/2015/12...force-awakens/
Old 12-16-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I am stunned that reviews on this movie would matter to anyone. You will either see it or you won't. There is no review in the world that could convince me to see this in the theater. I will see it eventually but I can wait. SW and Empire to me are the only good ones that have held up.
Yes, the positive reviews have increased the buzz considerably. And have people like me, who were probably going to wait a week or two, thinking about trying to find a weekend showing somewhere.
Old 12-16-15, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read a review today from somewhere, and the reviewer kind of reluctantly gave it a "B".

He closed the review with "God help me---I'm interested in Star Wars again."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.