Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Old 12-14-15, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,911 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
There was nothing profound about those scenes.
Profound boredom?
Old 12-15-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 892 Posts

From Devin Faraci's twitter:

Originally Posted by devincf
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS is ok. I know it's poetry, I know it rhymes, but does every line have to rhyme with the last poem?
THE FORCE AWAKENS proves JJ Abrams is an auteur: once again we have great characters, propulsive fun, sort of shitty, dumb story.
So, exactly as George Lucas described it then? "The fans will love it"
Fan service abounds.
I've got a bad feeling about this...
Old 12-15-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 574 Posts

Isn't that guy pretty well known for giving sort of negative reviews of good films though? Most of what I've been reading has been positive.
Old 12-15-15, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Isn't that guy pretty well known for giving sort of negative reviews of good films though? Most of what I've been reading has been positive.
Devin is a great writer but his thoughts and opinions are generally shit.

Case in point: his essay on how BTTF II missed a "teachable moment" by giving the one black guy a lofty inspiration to be mayor, but it came from a white person.
Old 12-15-15, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
From Devin Faraci's twitter:

I've got a bad feeling about this...
Dude crapped on Birdman last year and loved Fantastic Four this year; I put little weight in his opinion, especially after this display of professionalism: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1098821
Old 12-15-15, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

A Star Wars film NOW is the last place I would expect to find the thrill of experiencing SW (in it's prime) which is what it seems like all these people are chasing. What on earth can this series supply that you haven't seen plenty of times by now in terms of themes or structure or simply style?

35-38 years ago, a "lived in" future was a revelatory vision. No one had put that on screen before with the attention to detail that Lucas had. The same goes for film to film continuity (at least for a fantasy series). Getting a sequel that wasn't just another variation on the original assault on the Death Star, was something remarkably rare and precious. A sequel that was truly original...think of that!
But by 2015, continuity has not only been done again, it's been done in even more intricate ways that makes that major element no longer remarkable.

At this point, a lot of fan service (which is what ROTJ primarily substituted in place of mature, thoughtful narrative expansion) is all I really expect. At best, these films going forward can only provide a simulacrum of classic SW. Ford can mug just like the old days, and we can get the zippy character interaction (ala old school Han & Leia scenes), but it's all going to be call back at this point.

Are fans going to grade this on how well it mines the old material and reproduces it- or do they want to channel the essence of the original experience by being introduced to something they haven't seen before?

I'm guessing it's the overwhelmingly former. That should sate fans initially- but it seems like a lot of ultimately less satisfying, empty calories to me.

But then again, I never understood people's desire to see Indiana Jones at 70 doing the exact same cliffhanger action that was so cool when he was 38. I would have loved to have seen the character transitioned into something more age appropriate, but I was clearly in the minority.
Old 12-15-15, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Some celeb quotes after last nights premiere:

"I loved it," actor-director Zach Braff told The Associated Press immediately after the premiere. "I thought J.J. did an amazing job. My favorite part was just seeing the camaraderie between the veteran and the new cast members."

Patton Oswalt said "The Force Awakens" represented a return to what made him fall in love with "Star Wars" in the first place. "It was a lot of fun," the actor-comedian said after watching the film. "I had the same feeling as when I would watch these films as a kid."

While most stars opted for chic red carpet attire, Joseph Gordon-Levitt showed up dressed as Yoda and actor-comedian Rainn Wilson dressed as a Jedi.

"It was epic, awesome and perfect," Wilson, who stared in "The Office," told Variety.com.

Actress Geena Davis let out a whoop from her seat as soon as the film ended. "I loved everything about it," she said. "Especially Rey."

Brett Morgan, director of Kurt Cobain documentary "Montage of Heck," actually took it a step further and called it "the best blockbuster since the original."
Old 12-15-15, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 7h7 hours ago

JJ did it. #StarWarsForceAwakens

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 6h6 hours ago

And without spoiling it, I can say that #StarWarsForceAwakens has the BEST final shot of any Star Wars film. Wow.
Old 12-15-15, 08:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
First review has been filed. I don't know how they got the scoop. It's nearly spoiler free.
It's probably bogus. There's no way Abrams let a critic see the movie before the premiere -- and the embargo on formal reviews being released isn't lifted until tomorrow. It's also suspicious that the main things that person went out of their way to describe (Luke's status and Snoke's appearance) are some of the only details that haven't leaked thus far. Plus, pics of von Sydow in costume are already out there. The description of him in that review is totally off base (and doesn't even make sense).
Old 12-15-15, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Dude crapped on Birdman last year and loved Fantastic Four this year; I put little weight in his opinion, especially after this display of professionalism: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1098821
But to his credit, Birdman was an incredibly well made bore, and Fantastic Four was 2/3rds of a good movie.

I just figured JJ made another Star Trek, this time in the proper universe for his versions of those films.
Old 12-15-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 676 Likes on 485 Posts

collection of spoiler free comments from people at the premiere: http://io9.com/the-first-spoiler-fre...003.1409085471
Old 12-15-15, 09:21 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Initial impressions from the premiere. overall positive, but they could just be giddy from having seen it first

Spoiler-free:

http://io9.com/the-first-spoiler-fre...ens-1748095494

-----------------

--------------

--------------------
Old 12-15-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 7h7 hours ago

JJ did it. #StarWarsForceAwakens

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt 6h6 hours ago

And without spoiling it, I can say that #StarWarsForceAwakens has the BEST final shot of any Star Wars film. Wow.
Does this mean that we find out Luke is actually Kylo Ren in the last shot?
Old 12-15-15, 09:27 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

It's Paramount's great big, beautiful Christmas present to the world.
--Bob Evans (@thekid) December 15, 1972

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-15-15 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-15-15, 11:11 AM

Received 2,623 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Mod Note: Let's please keep this thread on topic for REVIEWS. Thank you.

Old 12-15-15, 05:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 455 Likes on 405 Posts

is it fair to say this will be a spoiler filled thread from here on in and thus no need for tags?
Old 12-15-15, 05:44 PM
Banned

But then people get pissy and bitch about spoilers in a review thread. Prissy c unts.
Old 12-15-15, 05:57 PM

Received 2,623 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I think it would be fair to use spoiler tags for major plot points for at least the first week.

My personal opinion is people should expect spoilers in a review thread, just like in the TV Forum episode threads. I think the review threads could have SPOILERS in the title as a warning. Maybe something to try on this... or moving forward. If that is something of interest, post in the feedback thread. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...l#post12672589

Last edited by dex14; 12-15-15 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I think it would be fair to use spoiler tags for major plot points for at least the first week.

My personal opinion is people should expect spoilers in a review thread, just like in the TV Forum episode threads. I think the review threads could have SPOILERS in the title as a warning. Maybe something to try on this... or moving forward. If that is something of interest, post in the feedback thread. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...l#post12672589
So we have to worry about the dumb fucks that probably think spoilers won't be in a review thread? Fuck that. Reviews as an existence are known to give some amount of details about a film. If people are too dense to not know that, fuck it. Let them have their cherry popped by the dirty DVDtalk.
Old 12-16-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is past midnight in Detroit...VERY positive review, just like those coming off the Red Carpet after seeing the movie.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ent...kens/77395392/

No big spoilers, just how the movie starts off fast and keeps going...(Daisy Ridley, a star is born)
Old 12-16-15, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

18-0 so far on RT...

Good review from Stuckmann... supposedly spoiler free but I stopped the second he mentions Luke at 10min in.

Last edited by Artman; 12-16-15 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-16-15, 02:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Up to 40-0 now on RT....

Off to a good start!
Old 12-16-15, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

54-0!
Old 12-16-15, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, reviews look mostly positive. The only negative tones seem to be along the lines of "good...not great"

However skimming the first couple paragraphs of Devin 's review, without seeming to spoil any major plot points- at least none you couldn't glean from the one sheet and the basic iconography on display in the trailers and TV spots- it seemed to confirm something I was hoping wouldn't be the case-
“It’s like poetry, they rhyme,” George Lucas famously said about the Prequels, and that may be the only thing that JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan took from Episodes I-III when writing The Force Awakens. This movie rhymes, and it rhymes hard, so hard that sometimes scenes feel less like organic moments of storytelling than attempts to revisit concepts from the Original Trilogy. As I watched
Spoiler:
a squad of X-Wings attack a planet-destroying superweapon that they could only approach after a group of intrepid heroes on the ground disabled the shields
I wondered how a universe of infinite possibilities had brought us to this scenario yet again.
I'm glad there is humor and that the new characters seem to have good chemistry, but a pastiche of re-booting and re-mixing is ...kind of disheartening. But I guess that's what fans want- more of the same only slightly new and different.

Sounds like it's the Superman Returns of the SW franchise, except this time Lois gets to spout Superman's air safety lines from the original Donner film. That kind of spin is the element that makes it "new" apparently.
Old 12-16-15, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
I'm glad there is humor and that the new characters seem to have good chemistry, but a pastiche of re-booting and re-mixing is ...kind of disheartening. But I guess that's what fans want- more of the same only slightly new and different.

Sounds like it's the Superman Returns of the SW franchise, except this time Lois gets to spout Superman's air safety lines from the original Donner film. That kind of spin is the element that makes it "new" apparently.
Most likely the biggest criticism of the film... playing it safe... but this is essentially a reboot of sorts... I don't mind if it is the same adventure tone of ANH - what else are they supposed to do exactly? I would look to Ep8 and 9 to really deliver something dark and different....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.