Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

Old 11-05-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
re: The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

Originally Posted by Brack
The US version was released just before Christmas. It probably would have done better as an October/Fall release.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
"What movie do you want to watch this Christmas?"

"The one where the goth chick gets tied up and violently ass-raped."
I seem to remember the ads for it called it "The feel bad movie of Christmas" or something like that.
Old 11-05-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I need to rewatch Zodiac, haven't seen it since 2006, but I remember thinking it would have been brilliant if it had an ending.
Old 11-06-15, 07:39 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I liked Zodiac, but in no way is it better than Seven. Zodiac's length hurts it, and there are stronger characters and performances in Seven as well.
Old 11-06-15, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Zodiac had some oddly stilted scenes in it which seemed out of character for Fincher.
Old 11-06-15, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I liked Zodiac, but in no way is it better than Seven. Zodiac's length hurts it, and there are stronger characters and performances in Seven as well.
this. I like it and the what not but it could have cut some scenes out. That guy and his basement? pointless.
Old 11-06-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
"What movie do you want to watch this Christmas?"

"The one where the goth chick gets tied up and violently ass-raped."
It's funny you say that. My sister and brother in law were visiting for Christmas and they and my parents decided to go to the movies one afternoon and for whatever reason picked Dragon Tattoo not really knowing what they were getting into. When I saw them the next day and they told me what they had been up to, my response was something along the lines of "Oh really? That's a lot of rape for a Christmas movie, isn't it?" They were pretty horrified and were upset that I didn't warn them despite the fact that I had no idea that they were going to the movies.
Old 11-06-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
this. I like it and the what not but it could have cut some scenes out. That guy and his basement? pointless.
That's the best scene in the whole movie!
Old 11-06-15, 08:52 AM
Banned

It may be the best scene but it really doesn't feel like it matters to the running plot. It's got a lot to it in style, tone, and pace but the rest of the film doesn't matter to that scene. Nothing was accomplished there. And was it even mentioned afterwards to be of any value aside from failure?
Old 11-06-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It may be the best scene but it really doesn't feel like it matters to the running plot. It's got a lot to it in style, tone, and pace but the rest of the film doesn't matter to that scene. Nothing was accomplished there. And was it even mentioned afterwards to be of any value aside from failure?
The point of the scene was that Graysmith was so obsessed with the case that he was willing to put himself into potentially risky situations. The fact that it lead to nothing was mostly in line with everything else that happened in the movie. That is, people following leads that may or may not payoff. It's a mystery without a solution.
Old 11-06-15, 09:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I need to rewatch Zodiac, haven't seen it since 2006, but I remember thinking it would have been brilliant if it had an ending.
Yeah, it's a shame that no one ever caught the actual Zodiac killer, it would have really tied the film together!
Old 11-06-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The point of the scene was that Graysmith was so obsessed with the case that he was willing to put himself into potentially risky situations. The fact that it lead to nothing was mostly in line with everything else that happened in the movie. That is, people following leads that may or may not payoff. It's a mystery without a solution.
Exactly. It is a police procedural that deals with the themes of obsession and the paranoia that was in the air at that time where anyone could have been the killer. I did not mind the long run time which to me doesn't feel like it. I love the way it takes its time and delves into the small details of the investigation.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yeah, it's a shame that no one ever caught the actual Zodiac killer, it would have really tied the film together!
Old 11-06-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I was waiting to watch Dragon Tattoo after all three films were completed. I guess that isn't going to happen.
Old 11-06-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

^ Doubt it, just watch Dragon Tattoo (since it is standalone) and view it as a jumping off point for Mr. Robot (I mean hell, Sam Esmail obviously wishes he was David Fincher)

My favorite part of the remake was the mildly out of place James Bond style intro with the Karen O/Reznor/Ross cover of Immigrant Song

Last edited by RichC2; 11-06-15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Red herring, dude.
Old 11-06-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I meant a more satisfying conclusion for Gyllenhaal's character, it felt like the film just ended. But like I said I haven't seen it since it's theatrical release, I actually have the BD so I'll need to rewatch it at some point.
Old 11-02-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

‘Girl With the Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel May Have Found Its Director (EXCLUSIVE)

Film Reporter @krolljvar
NOVEMBER 2, 2016 | 05:48PM PT

Fresh off the success of Screen Gems’ “Don’t Breathe,” Sony Pictures is eyeing director Fede Alvarez for one of the studio’s major franchises.

Sources tell Variety Alvarez is the choice to direct “The Girl in the Spider’s Web”, the sequel to “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.”

Rooney Mara is expected to return as Lisbeth Salander.

Steven Knight penned the script with Scott Rudin, Amy Pascal, Elizabeth Cantillon and Yellow Bird’s Ole Søndberg and Søren Stærmose on board to produce.

The pic is based on the new novel by David Lagercrantz, who took over for the series after the novel’s original author Stieg Larsson after he passed away in 2004. In the novel, Salander teaming up with journalist Mikael Blomkvist to enter a world of a ruthless underworld of spies, cybercriminals, and government operatives—some willing to kill to protect their secrets.

Sony has been high on this project since acquiring the rights to the book in 2015 and immediately put Knight on the job to adapt the novel. The film is now fast-tracked to be made in the new year.

The choice came as Alvarez and Sony Pictures discussed the director’s potential next project for the studio, following his triumph on Sony’s Don’t Breathe. Both of Alvarez’s hit films have been for the studio.

Alvarez is repped by WME and Anonymous Content.
Old 11-02-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I thought Mara was fantastic in the first so if she's back then I'm back.
Old 11-02-16, 09:33 PM
Banned

Never read that one. Was the book any good to you lot? I'm very iffy on even reading it cuz from what customer reviews have said that it's still fun but is missing something. And it seems to lean on postiive w/ some good bit of mixed reviews for it.

Fuck. I would have killed for Fincher to continue on w/ the property. LOVED his version of the book. Mara was fucking awesome too.

Very interesting to see where Alvarez has gone. Actually pretty proud of him. Still haven't seen his new flick but it appears to be a good one. Good for him.
Old 11-02-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Should be noted the story has been updated and omits the part about Mara...

Fresh off the success of Sony’s “Don’t Breathe,” Sony Pictures is eyeing director Fede Alvarez for one of the studio’s major franchises.

Sources tell Variety Alvarez is the choice to direct “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” the sequel to “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

Steven Knight penned the script with Scott Rudin, Amy Pascal, Elizabeth Cantillon, and Yellow Bird’s Ole Søndberg and Søren Stærmose on board to produce. David Beaubaire is overseeing for the studio.

The pic is based on the new novel by David Lagercrantz, who took over for the series after the original novel’s author Stieg Larsson died in 2004. In the novel, Salander teamed up with journalist Mikael Blomkvist to enter a world of a ruthless underworld of spies, cybercriminals, and government operatives — some willing to kill to protect their secrets.

The project has been high-priority for Sony since it acquired the rights to the book in 2015, and it immediately put Knight on the job to adapt the novel. The film is now fast-tracked to be made next year.

The choice came as Alvarez and Sony Pictures discussed the director’s potential next project for the studio, following his triumph on Sony’s “Don’t Breathe.”

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/gi...ve-1201907778/
Old 11-02-16, 10:04 PM
Banned

Hrm. That's interesting.
Old 11-03-16, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

Never read that one. Was the book any good to you lot? I'm very iffy on even reading it cuz from what customer reviews have said that it's still fun but is missing something. And it seems to lean on postiive w/ some good bit of mixed reviews for it.

Fuck. I would have killed for Fincher to continue on w/ the property. LOVED his version of the book. Mara was fucking awesome too.

Very interesting to see where Alvarez has gone. Actually pretty proud of him. Still haven't seen his new flick but it appears to be a good one. Good for him.
Dude, read the books. Dark Tower, Lizbeth Salander... they're good stuff.
Old 11-03-16, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
You're in luck! The original Swedish trilogy is widely available.
I liked the original trilogy. I wonder why they didn't make this one, also.
Old 11-03-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I liked the original trilogy. I wonder why they didn't make this one, also.
Well, they spoiled the big twist of the second book at the end of the first US film. And the third book frankly could be made into a 42 minute procedural if they took out all the crap about junk food and the gloriousness of journalism. I think going to book 4 is a solid move.
Old 11-03-16, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob V
Dude, read the books. Dark Tower, Lizbeth Salander... they're good stuff.
I've read the millenium trilogy but am iffy about getting into this one considering it's not by the creator.

I've too many other books, movies, and games to just get into DT. At some point, I will.
Old 11-03-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Exactly. It is a police procedural that deals with the themes of obsession and the paranoia that was in the air at that time where anyone could have been the killer. I did not mind the long run time which to me doesn't feel like it. I love the way it takes its time and delves into the small details of the investigation.
It's my go to movie for long plane rides. I never get tired of it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.