Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ocean's 8 (2018, D: Ross) S: Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Carter, Kaling, Rihanna

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ocean's 8 (2018, D: Ross) S: Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Carter, Kaling, Rihanna

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Ocean's 8 (2018, D: Ross) S: Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Carter, Kaling, Rihann

Technically it's not a remake, it's a sequel
Old 06-21-18, 06:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Ocean's 8 (2018, D: Ross) S: Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Carter, Kaling, Rihann

Originally Posted by Mabuse
There’s actually an easy answer to that question. Explaining this title makes your head spin. “Well you see first there was Oceans 11, with Frank Sinatra.”
“Who’s Frank Sinatra?”
“Then there was a remake. Then sequels. Now they’re remaking the remake. But with fewer burglers. So it’s only 8. I think it has something to do with the $0.77 on the dollar thing. Anyway...”
“OMG! Did you know Animal Jam has an Arctic Fox now?!”
We must have the same daughter. That's pretty much how on topic she likes to stay.
Old 06-22-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I thought it was pretty breezy fun. Not great, not something I need to see again or have seen in the theater but the girlfriend wanted to see it. Pretty sure she liked it more than I did.

Spoiler:
Really thought you would have seen someone standing behind Debbie at the end teasing whether it was Danny or not. Missed opportunity.
Old 06-22-18, 01:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Explaining this title makes your head spin.
Does it? Really?

"There's a woman named Debbie Ocean. She needs 8 people to do a heist."

Kids don't give a shit about all the other stuff you mentioned.
Old 06-22-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Does it? Really?

You could also mention that it is a sequel in a series of heist movies, but even that might turn her off to it since she might think she needs to see the others first to understand it.
Old 06-22-18, 01:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Does it? Really?

Kids don't give a shit about all the other stuff you mentioned.
Okay, sir.
Old 06-22-18, 01:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
You could also mention that it is a sequel in a series of heist movies, but even that might turn her off to it since she might think she needs to see the others first to understand it.
True, but I mean... it's about as relevant as trying to explain the connections between Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Okay, sir.
Didn't mean to offend. Just thought it was funny that you said it was hard.

I feel like my wife sometimes likes to over-explain things to my kid (5). I'm just like... no. Keep it simple. Our kid doesn't care. Of course, then my kid is all, "No daddy! Give me the entire backstory of everyone involved so I can fully grasp the Oceans Cinematic Universe!"

edit: actually, it plays out about the same as your example with the bonus that I don't have to explain sequels and prequels and shit.
Old 06-22-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
True, but I mean... it's about as relevant as trying to explain the connections between Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane.
Agreed. I was just extrapolating the scenario that the daughter ends up seeing the movie, but then gets confused by the Danny references and the cameo by Elliott Gould.
Old 06-24-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw this movie tonight and was surprised at just how boring it is. This cast was completely wasted on a terrible script. Wait for Netflix!
Old 06-25-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I was surprised that my showing was packed out on Saturday two weeks after this really. I barely got a reserved seat 30 minutes ahead of showing. Maybe mom and dad were dropping kids off for Jurassic Park and going to this one.

Movie didn't blow me away, but was entertaining enough. My biggest complaint was the heist just seemed too easy. They didn't make it feel like an incredibly impossible task like Ocean's 11. Mid-way through, they do introduce a big road block to the plan, but the solution was really cheap and too easy.
Old 07-03-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Caught a matinee today when I was waiting to get my car fixed.

This was actually the 2nd time I tried to see this. I used Movie Pass to see it a few weeks ago, but I was apparently really tired and dozed off for most of the movie after maybe the first 15 minutes.

So I paid money out of my own pocket to see it again. Kind of felt guilty not seeing it to completion.

It was just so-so. This caper seemed way too easy for the ladies. Everything fell into place way too easy for them. I didn't feel any imminent danger or threat against them. I liked the cast and they had good chemistry. But, this just felt like a re-tread of the 1st movie, but with lesser stakes. And then later in the movie when:

Spoiler:
Anne Hathaway's character decided to join into the party because she picked up on everything felt kind of contrived.

Lots of little cameos, but they were all really insignificant.

Also, does anyone seriously believe that Danny Ocean is actually:

Spoiler:
dead as the movie says he is. I don't buy it.

Richard Armitage felt kind of wasted in this. I was kind of amused that they used James Corden in this as the insurance investigator. But again, there was really no threat from him.

I'd give this between a B- and C+ I don't think I'll be watching this again let alone owning it. It was a sorta decent 1-time watch.

And yes, Anne Hathaway did look really hot in this, especially in that black negligee.
Old 07-03-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wife and I saw this on Saturday. It was perfectly adequate entertainment for a late Saturday afternoon.
Old 07-04-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Saw it last night and really liked it. Fun Summer film and everyone was great in it. Hoping they do another with this female cast. And it would be pretty cool if they did another one after that merging it with the guys (Clooney (???), Pitt, Damon etc).
Spoiler:
The brief mention of Clooney's character is this was bittersweet, funny and made you question if he's still alive. "You better be in there there!"
All in all, I'd give this a solid 8/10 rating.
Old 07-18-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I dug this. It was fun. Color me completely shocked that Clooney didn't cameo though.
Old 09-08-18, 11:57 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not really really terrible like ghostbusters but it was a chore getting through it

Mediocre cast chemistry. Ok plot, some decent parts but for the most part , outshone by many tv shows
Old 09-09-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I dug this. It was fun. Color me completely shocked that Clooney didn't cameo though.
Ditto. I was kind of distracted throughout, but I enjoyed it overall. I was also expecting a Clooney appearance at the end. Even if it was just his shadow or his voice from offscreen.
Old 09-16-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I was surprised at how little I cared for this movie. I’m always down for a fun, breezy heist movie but this one just didn’t deliver.

Aside from the characters just not being very likable, they never really had chemistry. So, Debbie’s master plan, that she spent 5 years methodically planning was essentially “get all the ladies high profile jobs working at the gala a week before it’s to occur”? Really that was her fool proof plan? Getting a bunch of people with criminal backgrounds jobs at an exclusive, super high security event? Hell, by the end, Sarah Paulson’s character was practically running the whole damn gala.

And I’m not even sure what the whole point of having Mindy Kaling’s character take the time and effort to break the necklace up into pieces and form new jewelry from it. Aside from the ridiculous plot line requiring her to set up her entire shop in the bathroom where, coincidentally no one stumbles upon an entire jeweler’s tool set, th only reason I can think it was in the movie was to show the “cool” slow motion exit of all the ladies wearing the jewelry as they walked down the gala stairs (which also meant they all had to have fancy gowns stashed somewhere).

It was also a missed opportunity for cameos. Elliot Gould gives a creepy, entirely useless, cameo at the beginning and then the little acrobat at the end. Not even an appearance from Matt “I’ll cameo in any piece of crap movie” Damon. But we do get a picture of Clooney that looked like it was taken from a screen grab of the first Ocean’s movie and out in an 8x10 frame!

The whole movie was just too contrived and too convenient for me. No tension, no surprises, the heist itself seem like lazy writing to me (Anne Hathaway’s character motivations make absolutely no sense. And if she was in on the plan why did they even have to poison her? Cate Blanchett’s character didn’t even need to be there and Anne Hathaway’s character didn’t need to actually throw up). Such a waste of a great cast.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 09-16-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Didn't like this movie. Didn't like the setup, the characters, the plot, or the execution.

GoldenJCJ says my thoughts on the film better than I could.