Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ferrari (2023, D: Michael Mann) S: Driver, Cruz, Woodley

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 02:26 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Paramount Pictures is on board to distribute Michael Mann’s “Enzo Ferrari” pic with Christian Bale set to play the iconic auto magnate, sources confirm.

Mann will direct with Vendian Entertainment and YooZoo Bliss Film Fund financing the highly anticipated project, which will shoot next summer in Italy. Paramount is handling worldwide distribution rights except for territories being handled by Vincent Maraval’s Insiders.

The movie takes place in 1957 and follows the personal story of Ferrari and his sprawling world as he faces a brutal challenge to his survival.

Mann will produce along with Vendian and YooZoo Bliss. YooZoo Pictures also will distribute the film in China. Vincent Maraval’s Insiders will commence international sales on selected territories at next month’s American Film Market.

Troy Kennedy-Martin penned the script, which is based on the biography “Enzo Ferrari, The Man, the Cars, the Races,” with David Rayfiel and Mann doing a recent polish.

CAA, which represents Mann, arranged financing for the film and brokered the distribution deals. Production partners also include Vittorio Cecchi Gori and Gabrielle Israeliovici.

Bale can be seen next in Paramount’s “The Big Short” and just wrapped production the Terry George-directed “The Promise.” He is repped by WME.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/fe...nn-1201627795/
Old 10-27-15, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Enzo Ferrari (D: Michael Mann) S: Christian Bale

I guess that's cool?

Never saw Mann's last film, heard it wasn't hot.
Old 10-27-15, 03:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Blackhat? It was terrible. I went in with SUPER low expectations, and it was a big chore to get through. I felt like there was so much potential, with all the locations they used, the the whole film fell flat.

Public Enemies wasn't so great either. I enjoyed it the first time, but had trouble both times after that. I need to revisit Miami Vice some day.

Collateral, though, is a masterpiece, in my opinion.
Old 10-27-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

No Vincent Chase, no sale!

But that said, after Narcos, the Gatsby remake with Leo, the expanded DCCU and this, I think Queen's Blvd is the only Vincent Chase movie that hasn't actually been greenlit since Entourage went off the air.
Old 10-27-15, 04:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

What exactly happened to Ferrari in 1957?
Old 10-27-15, 04:25 PM
Banned

this is what wikipedia says...

During the 1957 Mille Miglia, near the town of Guidizzolo, a 4.0-litre Ferrari 335S driven by Alfonso de Portago was traveling at 250 km/h when it blew a tire and crashed into the roadside crowd, killing de Portago, his co-driver and nine spectators, five of whom were children. In response, Enzo Ferrari and Englebert, the tyre manufacturer, were charged with manslaughter in a lengthy criminal prosecution that was finally dismissed in 1961.
Maybe about this?
Old 10-27-15, 06:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Miami Vice was great, easily one of Mann's best films, and the last thing he ever did that was even remotely good.
Old 10-27-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Damn, Entourage has been inadvertently predicting a lot of shit. Great Gatsby, Aquaman and now this.
Old 10-27-15, 07:43 PM

Here is a good interview with Michael Mann about the project. It is also about the 20th anniversary of Heat.

Michael Mann On The Long Odysseys of ‘Heat’ And ‘Ferrari’ – Toronto Q&A: http://deadline.com/2015/09/michael-...al-1201529118/
Old 10-27-15, 08:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

What we need is a film about Carroll Shelby kicking Ferrari's ass.
Old 10-27-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Miami Vice was great, easily one of Mann's best films, and the last thing he ever did that was even remotely good.
I recently bought this in order to revisit. I remember it being remarkably solid but admittedly don't recall much of it.
Old 10-27-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JordanGLC
I would watch that. As for this one; I'm in. Ferrari was a total asshole. He didn't give a shit about anything but winning and a whole lot of drivers were killed in his cars.
Old 10-27-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Ever did"? You make it sound like he'd dead.

He's only directed two movies since "Miami Vice." "Blackhat" was bad, but "Public Enemies," while not a classic, was quite good.
Old 10-27-15, 10:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Public Enemies was atrocious, IMO. And it's not like his record before Miami Vice was spotless either.
Old 10-28-15, 09:00 AM
Banned

Public Enemies was average at best. The cameras he was using at that time weren't clean enough. I don't care that he used digital for that period it's just that what worked in other movies doesn't work for that one. Digital made Collateral fucking amazing. It added so much to the visual. It looked washy and dull as fuck in Public Enemies
Old 10-28-15, 09:24 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JordanGLC
Adam Carolla has said that his next doc will be about Shelby and Ferrari. The rivalry and the deaths.
Old 10-28-15, 09:36 AM
Banned

Didn't we have a thread for a movie called Go Like Hell? It was about Shelby.
Old 10-28-15, 11:20 AM

Paramount Pictures has picked up distribution rights to Michael Mann’s long-in-the-works Ferrari project, titled Enzo Ferrari.

At the same time, Noomi Rapace is in talks to star opposite Christian Bale, who will play Enzo Ferrari, the Italian auto mogul. The long-gestating project finally got traction when it secured funding from Vendian and YooZoo Bliss Film Fund. YooZoo will distribute the movie in China, while Vincent Maraval’s Insiders will begin selling territories at AFM.

The project adapts the 1991 book Enzo Ferrari: The Man, the Cars, the Races, the Machine, written by Brock Yates.

The book recounted Ferrari’s ascent — working for Alfa Romeo, first as a racer and then as a developer, founding his own company in 1947, racing victories in the '50s and '60s, letting Fiat slowly take control of the company. But it also showed Ferrari's tyrannical and manipulative nature, how he pushed drivers to the breaking point (and even death), his hatred of his lifelong marriage and his many affairs.

If a deal is made, Rapace would play Ferrari’s wife, Laura Dominica.

The project is eyeing an $80 million budget, although Mann has a tendency to skid his numbers higher when actual shooting starts.

The last time Mann worked with Paramount was in 2004, when the studio released Collateral, the DreamWorks-made thriller starring Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...source=twitter
Old 10-28-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And it's not like his record before Miami Vice was spotless either.
No director has a "spotless" record, whatever that means. If I were a director I'd be thrilled to have Mann's track record.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 10-28-15 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Public Enemies was just ok, nothing special. Black Hat was lesser. Not terrible, just dull. First time i watched Miami Vice i hated it. I have actually been re-visiting it this week and its better than i remembered. Not at the height of his best movies, but certainly better than a lot of movies he has done in the last 15 years. Collateral is a masterpiece. This movie? Well not sure how interested i am in it at this point. Would prefer to see a great crime thriller in the vein of Thief or Heat from the guy.

Oh, and Ali was utterly terrible. The man was a legend and so watchable and yet that movie was dreary and a task to get through.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (02-09-22)
Old 10-28-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
No director has a "spotless" record, whatever that means. If I were a director I'd be thrilled to have Mann's track record.
Having Thief, Manhunter, The Last of the Mohicans, Heat and The Insider on your resume is pretty impressive. He's definitely been on a downtrend since Ali though (I liked but didn't love Collateral). I don't get the love for Miami Vice.
Old 10-28-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

This film is going to be huge. I bet it makes twice as much as that new Steve Jobs flick.
Old 10-28-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
This film is going to be huge. I bet it makes twice as much as that new Steve Jobs flick.
Which would be more than double the gross of Blackhat, Michael Mann is back!
Old 01-15-16, 05:02 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Christian Bale is reluctantly getting out of the driver’s seat on Michael Mann’s long-gestating Enzo Ferrari. The shape-shifting actor is stepping aside after health concerns over the weight gain necessary to play the iconic carmaker. Bale, who has yo-yo’d throughout his career between extreme weight loss and gain – compare his emaciated turn in The Machinist to his button-busting fatso in American Hustle – appears to have finally bitten off more than even he could chew.

The start date of spring this year was simply too soon for the Big Short actor to get that out of shape again. Mann is moving fast to re-cast the plum role and is currently speaking to some heavyweight actors.

While Bale’s exit is a blow, the project remains very much on track, with Paramount distributing in most territories. The combination of Mann, subject matter and role should lend itself to finding another top actor shortly. Vendian Entertainment and YooZoo Bliss Film Fund are financing the project, with plans to shoot this summer in Italy. YooZoo Pictures also will distribute Enzo Ferrari in China.

Set in 1957, Enzo Ferrari is the intimate story of the driver and his sprawling world, veering from comedy to drama as Ferrari faces a brutal challenge to his survival. The script by Troy Kennedy-Martin (The Italian Job and Edge Of Darkness) was revised by David Rayfiel (The Firm) and Mann. It’s based on the Brock Yates book Enzo Ferrari, The Man, The Cars, The Races. Mann’s reps at CAA arranged financing for the film and brokered the distribution deals. Mann has been working on Enzo Ferrari for 15 years, initially shaping it with the late Sydney Pollack.
http://deadline.com/2016/01/christia...ns-1201684066/
Old 03-08-17, 04:12 PM

re: Ferrari (2023, D: Michael Mann) S: Driver, Cruz, Woodley

EXCLUSIVE: Michael Mann’s Ferrari is revving again, with Hugh Jackman now in talks to play Enzo Ferrari, and Noomi Rapace to play his estranged wife Linda. Their relationship, as fiery and combustible as the race cars that Ferrari designed, plays a big part in the script Mann wrote. They have loosely been discussing this teaming for months, and now things are starting to move for a summer 2018 production start. This comes as Jackman’s final Wolverine turn, Logan, has become a box office juggernaut, grossing north of $250 million worldwide in its first week and about to pass $100 million in domestic grosses.

Ferrari is the drama Mann started in partnership with the late director Sydney Pollack almost 17 years ago. The film takes place in 1957, a year where passion, failure, success and death and life all collided in Ferrari’s battle for supremacy against rival Maserati. Christian Bale was going to play Ferrari two years ago, but developed health concerns when he began putting on weight. That should be easier for Jackman. He is a close physical match for Ferrari, and no longer has to obsessively count every calorie and bench press rep. Never has a star showed up as consistently ripped for such a sustained period, as Jackman has for the entirety of his Wolverine appearances in the X-Men films and the spinoff trilogy that concluded with Logan. The reward here could be a few bowls of pasta, playing the Italian automotive icon.
http://deadline.com/2017/03/hugh-jac...ri-1202039278/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.