Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Old 06-03-19, 09:39 AM
  #1551  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,425
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

A couple of weeks ago I would have said without question. Its Box Office has slowed much faster than I anticipated. Looks to top out at about $845-850 million US. Worldwide I thought it would be a lock that it would make 3 Billion. Now I don't believe it will. Should still manage to get to Avatar however.
d2cheer is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 03:45 PM
  #1552  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,820
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
Can Endgame pull another $75 million worldwide?
No problem on passing Avatar. Just match it against IW from last year which was out until August. Should get a nice bump when Spider-man comes out as well.

DthRdrX is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 09:43 AM
  #1553  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,649
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Looks to me like Godzilla is going to nosedive this weekend. It was outgrossed - substantially - by Aladdin everyday this week.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 03:03 PM
  #1554  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Inhumans99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,970
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Ouch...the numbers may get higher than predicted but right now Deadline is saying Dark Phoenix might open to less than 37 million, yikes! Thank goodness Marvel can brush this off by pointing out that the X-Men films are not connected to the greater MCU films so any stink of failure given off by this film will not taint the greater MCU.

This combined with Godzilla also basically flaming out in its second weekend makes for an auspicious start to what on paper looked to me to be a potentially very lucrative summer at the theaters. Aladdin can only do so much heavy lifting on its own to keep the box office afloat, and speaking of, who knew Aladdin would turn out to be one of the better films of the summer, and a solid money maker to boot.

Almost forgot, even The Secret Life Of Pets 2 is only doing okay business considering how much bank the first made. At least Spider-Man Far From Home is coming down the pike, but again...on paper, it looked to me like this would be a good summer to constantly watch movies but it could turn out to be a bit of an off-year for Hollywood even taking into account Marvel’s massive success earlier this year.
Inhumans99 is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 02:36 PM
  #1555  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,649
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

TWLWTitle (click to view)StudioWeekend Gross% ChangeTheater Count / ChangeAverageTotal GrossBudget*Week #
1 N The Secret Life of Pets 2 Uni. $47,110,000 - 4,561 - $10,329 $48,035,000 $80 1
2 N Dark Phoenix Fox $33,000,000 - 3,721 - $8,869 $33,000,000 - 1
3 2 Aladdin (2019) BV $24,500,000 -42.8% 3,805 -671 $6,439 $232,385,926 $183 3
4 1 Godzilla: King of the Monsters WB $15,540,000 -67.5% 4,108 - $3,783 $78,597,097 $170 2
5 3 Rocketman Par. $14,000,000 -45.6% 3,610 - $3,878 $50,498,756 $40 2
6 4 Ma (2019) Uni. $7,820,000 -56.8% 2,816 +8 $2,777 $32,768,075 $5 2
7 5 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum LG/S $7,400,000 -33.2% 2,776 -828 $2,666 $138,662,998 - 4
8 6 Avengers: Endgame BV $4,800,000 -40.3% 2,121 -984 $2,263 $824,365,940 $356 7
9 7 Pokemon Detective Pikachu WB $2,980,000 -57.1% 2,161 -986 $1,379 $137,401,719 $150 5
10 8 Booksmart UAR $1,577,259 -52.2% 1,134 -1,384 $1,391 $17,814,672 - 3
11 11 A Dog's Journey Uni. $1,360,000 +22.0% 631 -1,043 $2,155 $21,040,820 - 4
12 9 Brightburn SGem $560,000 -77.2% 1,013 -1,594 $553 $16,386,396 $6 3
13 10 The Hustle UAR $449,000 -66.0% 416 -991 $1,079 $34,462,355 - 5
14 15 Biggest Little Farm Neon $347,000 -20.3% 285 +10 $1,218 $2,451,404 - 5
15 12 The Intruder (2019) SGem $315,000 -60.7% 306 -501 $1,029 $34,951,180 $8 6
16 N Late Night Amazon $249,654 - 4 - $62,414 $249,654 - 1
RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 11:08 AM
  #1556  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,820
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Ouch...the numbers may get higher than predicted but right now Deadline is saying Dark Phoenix might open to less than 37 million, yikes! Thank goodness Marvel can brush this off by pointing out that the X-Men films are not connected to the greater MCU films so any stink of failure given off by this film will not taint the greater MCU.

This combined with Godzilla also basically flaming out in its second weekend makes for an auspicious start to what on paper looked to me to be a potentially very lucrative summer at the theaters. Aladdin can only do so much heavy lifting on its own to keep the box office afloat, and speaking of, who knew Aladdin would turn out to be one of the better films of the summer, and a solid money maker to boot.

Almost forgot, even The Secret Life Of Pets 2 is only doing okay business considering how much bank the first made. At least Spider-Man Far From Home is coming down the pike, but again...on paper, it looked to me like this would be a good summer to constantly watch movies but it could turn out to be a bit of an off-year for Hollywood even taking into account Marvelís massive success earlier this year.
Had it been good, we would have to read endless debates if Marvel should keep the Fox universe going or not. Bombing out is probably the best way to go before the reboot.
DthRdrX is offline  
Old 06-14-19, 09:51 PM
  #1557  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,280
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Very early numbers for the weekend: Men in Black: International - $25M, Shaft - $8.5M, Late Night - $4.5M

https://deadline.com/2019/06/men-in-...ce-1202632705/
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 06-14-19, 10:56 PM
  #1558  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,822
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Very early numbers for the weekend: Men in Black: International - $25M, Shaft - $8.5M, Late Night - $4.5M

https://deadline.com/2019/06/men-in-...ce-1202632705/
I still don't understand these articles. This article came out on Friday at noon. How can they know how much it will make on the weekend. They're also not very fair as they are already predicting BO failure and therefore prematurely creating negative press surrounding the movie.
tanman is offline  
Old 06-14-19, 11:08 PM
  #1559  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,623
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

3 bombs.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 06-14-19, 11:29 PM
  #1560  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,280
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I still don't understand these articles. This article came out on Friday at noon. How can they know how much it will make on the weekend. They're also not very fair as they are already predicting BO failure and therefore prematurely creating negative press surrounding the movie.
They get early number in and use comparisons with previous like movies to extrapolate estimates for the weekend. Obviously this will be off, but not by too much unless a movie overperforms on Saturday or Sunday.
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 06-14-19, 11:53 PM
  #1561  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 12,612
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I still don't understand these articles. This article came out on Friday at noon. How can they know how much it will make on the weekend. They're also not very fair as they are already predicting BO failure and therefore prematurely creating negative press surrounding the movie.
Years of box office history and algorithms play into it. It becomes easy to predict based on early numbers. Pretty much every scenario has been played out before.
E Unit is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 12:34 PM
  #1562  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,623
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Will Godzilla even make it to 100 million in the U.S.? Hell, will it even make it to 300 million overseas?
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 01:21 PM
  #1563  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,280
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Might barely make it past $100M since it's currently at $87M. No idea about the international box office. Not that it matters, it's another box office disappointment (to put it kindly) for Warner.
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 06-15-19, 06:23 PM
  #1564  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Antipodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 6,079
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Looks like MIB4 is making Dark Phoenix and Godzilla look like smash hits.
The Antipodean is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 01:24 AM
  #1565  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,822
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
They get early number in and use comparisons with previous like movies to extrapolate estimates for the weekend. Obviously this will be off, but not by too much unless a movie overperforms on Saturday or Sunday.
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post


Years of box office history and algorithms play into it. It becomes easy to predict based on early numbers. Pretty much every scenario has been played out before.
Yeah I get that but early numbers based on what? Like I said that was published on Friday at noon. Based off of Thursday preview numbers?
tanman is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 05:34 AM
  #1566  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 32,772
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Yeah I get that but early numbers based on what? Like I said that was published on Friday at noon. Based off of Thursday preview numbers?
I'm sure they look at pre-sales numbers. It's probably easier to track since theaters are more and more transitioning to reserved seating.
TomOpus is online now  
Old 06-16-19, 10:44 AM
  #1567  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,649
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread


ill do the proper listing tomorrow, here are estimates from boxofficemojo. MIB:I did $102m worldwide, and its budget was less than half of MIB3s $225m. Just to note. So while $28.5m domestic isn't ideal, it isn't exactly a trainwreck.

I wish we did a box office gross poll for Aladdin.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 12:21 PM
  #1568  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 8,785
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

3 potential blockbusters in a row have underperformed. Godzilla's actually doing the best out of the three (the others being, obviously, Dark Phoenix and MIB4). Each one is doing worse than the one before.

This summer is shaping up to be a minor disaster for the studios. Spider-Man, however, should pull the season out of it's tailspin. But, man, I can't remember a summer with three major movies in a row underperforming like that.
B5Erik is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 05:49 PM
  #1569  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,425
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Umm yeah MIB 4 is a trainwreck gotta disagree there. It will drop at least 60% next week. Shaft ugh who thought that was a good idea? This summer really does not have much to offer other than sequels. Hobbs N Shaw if a spin-off that may do well. But the next best original move will probably be Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Spider-Man and Toy Story 4 are givens.
d2cheer is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 05:58 PM
  #1570  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,649
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Umm yeah MIB 4 is a trainwreck gotta disagree there. It will drop at least 60% next week. Shaft ugh who thought that was a good idea? This summer really does not have much to offer other than sequels. Hobbs N Shaw if a spin-off that may do well. But the next best original move will probably be Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Spider-Man and Toy Story 4 are givens.
You're probably right, but it still could have been worse. It'll at least still ultimately make its money back though with post-theatrical sales.

Shaft, as someone else pointed out, is due on Netflix overseas in a few weeks, which means it likely got its budget back in sales, pre-Box Office.

Most Summers are pretty much Sequels and Remakes anymore, it's annoying. Last summer was what, Deadpool 2, Solo, Ocean's 8, Incredibles 2, Jurassic World 2, Sicario 2, The FIrst Purge, Ant-man 2, Hotel Transylvania 3, Mamma Mia! 2, Equalizer 2, Unfriended 2, Mission Impossible Fallout?

Last edited by RichC2; 06-16-19 at 06:10 PM.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 06-16-19, 05:58 PM
  #1571  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,280
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Shaft wasn't a good idea, true, but seems like it was better suited in the dead zone of September, can't think it would have done worse...
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 06:42 PM
  #1572  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,649
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Actuals:

TWLWTitle (click to view)StudioWeekend Gross% ChangeTheater Count / ChangeAverageTotal GrossBudget*Week #
1 N Men in Black International Sony $30,035,838 - 4,224 - $7,111 $30,035,838 $110 1
2 1 The Secret Life of Pets 2 Uni. $24,408,160 -47.7% 4,564 +3 $5,348 $92,652,550 $80 2
3 3 Aladdin (2019) BV $17,309,154 -29.9% 3,556 -249 $4,868 $264,043,468 $183 4
4 5 Rocketman Par. $9,420,441 -31.8% 3,021 -589 $3,118 $66,763,166 $40 3
5 2 Dark Phoenix Fox $9,354,868 -71.5% 3,721 - $2,514 $52,117,218 - 2
6 N Shaft (2019) WB (NL) $8,901,419 - 2,952 - $3,015 $8,901,419 - 1
7 4 Godzilla: King of the Monsters WB $8,788,845 -43.1% 3,207 -901 $2,741 $94,372,017 $170 3
8 7 John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum LG/S $6,401,225 -13.7% 2,033 -743 $3,149 $148,928,130 - 5
9 17 Late Night Amazon $5,255,643 +2,033.8% 2,220 +2,216 $2,367 $5,568,462 - 2
10 8 Avengers: Endgame BV $3,725,855 -23.5% 1,450 -671 $2,570 $830,700,214 $356 8
11 6 Ma (2019) Uni. $3,718,975 -52.5% 1,794 -1,022 $2,073 $40,458,970 $5 3
12 N The Dead Don't Die Focus $2,540,240 - 613 - $4,144 $2,540,240 - 1
13 9 Pokemon Detective Pikachu WB $1,292,238 -59.5% 984 -1,177 $1,313 $140,800,319 $150 6
14 10 Booksmart UAR $864,750 -45.8% 577 -557 $1,499 $19,752,169 - 4
15 11 A Dog's Journey Uni. $455,695 -65.6% 310 -321 $1,470 $21,819,250 - 5
16 18 The Last Black Man in San Francisco A24 $380,921 +61.9% 36 +29 $10,581 $733,087 - 2


It looks like basically everything corrected up thanks to Father's Day with John Wick reaping the best "guys night" benefit. Last Black Man in San Fran is off to a solid start, The Dead Don't Die is just doing so so.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-17-19 at 07:02 PM.
RichC2 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.