DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Army of Darkness -- Which Version to Watch? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/629056-army-darkness-version-watch.html)

TheMovieman 10-10-15 05:28 PM

Army of Darkness -- Which Version to Watch?

Amazingly enough, I haven't seen Army of Darkness and I received the new Blu-ray from Shout. So which version should I watch first? Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut or International Cut? Not including the TV version as that, to me, is more of a novelty.

Why So Blu? 10-10-15 06:16 PM

Re: Army of Darkness -- Which Version to Watch?

Theatrical Cut.

dhmac 10-11-15 01:41 PM

None of the cuts are ideal, but I think the "Theatrical Cut" is still the best version.

(And if you are curious, then watch only the ending of the "Director's Cut" to see how the movie was originally going to end.)

Solid Snake 10-11-15 02:10 PM

The TC is canon. So like it or not... that's one that matters the most. I've never seen the DC. But aside from Rip van Winkle aspect, I'm really interested to the see other stuff changed or cut out in it. Those little moments looked good to where they may have made ED3 a better movie for me.

TheMovieman 10-11-15 02:22 PM

TC it is then. Thanks!

milo bloom 10-11-15 04:21 PM

Funny enough, the tv cut is the first version we ever watched and I've been eagerly awaiting a decent version on home video for years now.

Alan Smithee 10-11-15 04:41 PM

This is one where I like the director's cut a lot better-mainly the ending. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say it's perfect.

dhmac 10-11-15 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 12614329)
This is one where I like the director's cut a lot better-mainly the ending. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say it's perfect.

The "Army of Darkness" DC is missing the great line by Ash at the end of this scene ( link ) heard in the TC, an omission that alone makes any cut of this movie less than perfect.

Brack 10-11-15 10:07 PM

Seeing the director's cut ending just now, and while funny, I still think the TC is funnier, because
Spoiler:
Ash still can't say the incantation correctly.

TheMovieman 10-12-15 03:41 PM

So watched the TC and really enjoyed it. The "Theatrical Version" disc also includes the original ending. Interesting concept, for sure, though kind of prefer the TC still.

Solid Snake 10-12-15 05:49 PM

I liked ED3 but I hate how it went too much in comedy. I love ED1 and ED2. ED3 just went too far for me. It also somehow feels cheaper to me. I'm just not as impressed as I was w/ the previous films.