Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most disappointing movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most disappointing movie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Most disappointing movie?

Originally Posted by dhmac
To be clear, which version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo are you referencing to? The 2009 original Swedish version? Or the 2011 Hollywood remake directed by David Fincher?

(Personally, I found the original Swede version to be OK but a bit disappointing, while I think the American remake was excellent and much superior to the original. BTW, I never read the book.)
As a fan of the original, the Fincher version was a big let down for me. But I also haven't read the book.
Old 09-26-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
As a fan of the original, the Fincher version was a big let down for me. But I also haven't read the book.
Old 09-26-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Counselor.

Fassbender, Bardem & Pitt in a movie about Mexican drug cartels directed by Ridley Scott? I mean, how could it go wrong?

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Aside from one death scene, this heap is unwatchable.
Old 09-26-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Revenge of the Sith
After Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, how high could your expectations possibly have been?
Old 09-26-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

For all the hype surrounding it, Cloverfield.
Old 09-26-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

You know what my answer is going to be don't you?

I saw the Dark Knight twice on opening day because I felt that it couldn't have been as underwhelming as it seemed the first time. So I went and got some dinner and went back to watch it again and nope, still lame.

Peter Jackson's King Kong would be number two. After months of reading about how much of a fan he is of the original and what a labor of love his film was I actually felt sorry for him after seeing it I hated it so much.

Last edited by stvn1974; 09-26-15 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 01:31 PM

Old 09-26-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Have you seen it on Blu-ray since theaters? I think it's Zombie's best film and that's saying a lot, because I don't like any of his films. I think it was him aping Jodorowsky.
Missed it at the theater, I first saw it on Netflix a couple months ago. I appreciate all the things Zombie wants to do in a movie, I just wish he'd try working with a co-writer.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Shadow of the Vampire was another big disappointment for me. Again, another great team and concept, but I don't remember anything from it.
Totally agree. I completely forgot all about this movie (funny, huh). Great premise involving the making of a classic silent horror film, and somehow was just bland and dull

Originally Posted by dhmac
To be clear, which version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo are you referencing to? The 2009 original Swedish version? Or the 2011 Hollywood remake directed by David Fincher?
The Swedish version. To me, the story itself is just so flawed I never bothered to see the remake, as it'll likely be more of the same.
Old 09-26-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Seriously. What's the point of beating the same dead horse in every single thread?
Old 09-26-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will post how much I dislike Nolan's films in the Brand New Atheist or I Think My Wife Wants To Leave threads instead of one that ask what is the most disappointing movie you have seen or what movies do you think suck for now on.
Old 09-26-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

The Final Countdown
Old 09-26-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm going with my earliest memory of massive theatrical disappointment: Superman III. This was pre-internet and word-of-mouth took a while to build. As a kid, all I knew was that I loved the first two Christopher Reeve Superman movies and I wanted to see this as soon as possible. And it didn't take very long into the movie to notice something very wrong was going on and think "What's happening?!?! What the hell is this shit?!?!?"
Old 09-26-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Alien 3 is the first one that comes to mind, just right from the start.
Old 09-26-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ginwen
Alien 3 is the first one that comes to mind, just right from the start.
Saw this in a full theater and it seemed like every 5 minutes about 10 people would get up and leave never to return. I stuck it out and have probably only seen the movie once more on home video over the years.
Old 09-26-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Even without the internet I'd heard plenty that Superman III was crap- but I wanted to see it anyways.
Old 09-26-15, 04:10 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Great Expectations. It wasn't all that I hoped for.
Old 09-26-15, 04:14 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
The Counselor.

Fassbender, Bardem & Pitt in a movie about Mexican drug cartels directed by Ridley Scott? I mean, how could it go wrong?

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Aside from one death scene, this heap is unwatchable.
I bet you're referring to
Spoiler:
the motorcycle death scene.
I'm glad I only checked it out on Redbox, and I still felt like I was had.
Old 09-26-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Missed it at the theater, I first saw it on Netflix a couple months ago. I appreciate all the things Zombie wants to do in a movie, I just wish he'd try working with a co-writer.

Totally agree. I completely forgot all about this movie (funny, huh). Great premise involving the making of a classic silent horror film, and somehow was just bland and dull

The Swedish version. To me, the story itself is just so flawed I never bothered to see the remake, as it'll likely be more of the same.

Gotcha. Hmmm, I love Shadow of the Vampire so much that i imported the German BD. Fincher's version of Tattoo rocks, because it's Fincher and even his worst films (Panic Room & Alien 3) are better some folks' best. Fincher can do no wrong, IMO.
Old 09-26-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I think even as a kid I was disappointed in Batman & Robin a bit. I had liked all the films to that point including Batman Forever but Batman & Robin just never appealed to me as much.

Spider-Man 3 is another. I liked the other two Raimi films and was really excited about the third film and even went as far as reading the book adaptation and playing the video game but the film wasn't great at all. It was a long time before I even watched it again after initially seeing it in theaters (I didn't watch it in full until I bought the Blu-ray when the first Webb film came out).
Old 09-26-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Great Expectations. It wasn't all that I hoped for.
Oliver Twist. Where was the big twist they promised?

And David Copperfield! I kept waiting for him to do tricks. What happened?
I mean, with a hat like this, he had to have a rabbit or two in there, right?
Old 09-26-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

How about Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Terrible uniforms, plodding plot, no excitement or energy from the cast, endless shots of the ship going through a poorly explained space cloud, not an ounce of the humor or humanity that made the series a success, bald chick never gives Kirk-unit a lap dance, the list goes on and on...
Old 09-26-15, 07:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
How about Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Terrible uniforms, plodding plot, no excitement or energy from the cast, endless shots of the ship going through a poorly explained space cloud, not an ounce of the humor or humanity that made the series a success, bald chick never gives Kirk-unit a lap dance, the list goes on and on...
sure in retrospect, but just seeing those characters on the big screen with legit special effects (for the time) was thrilling in and of itself. plus, that transporter malfunction scene is horrific. Poor Xon.
Old 09-26-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Oliver Twist. Where was the big twist they promised?

And David Copperfield! I kept waiting for him to do tricks. What happened?
I mean, with a hat like this, he had to have a rabbit or two in there, right?
You know, this post would fit right in the "Movies Titles That Don't Make Sense" thread, except no one in there is joking.
Old 09-26-15, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
I'm going with my earliest memory of massive theatrical disappointment: Superman III. This was pre-internet and word-of-mouth took a while to build. As a kid, all I knew was that I loved the first two Christopher Reeve Superman movies and I wanted to see this as soon as possible. And it didn't take very long into the movie to notice something very wrong was going on and think "What's happening?!?! What the hell is this shit?!?!?"
Good call. I felt the same way. How could a Superman movie turn out that awful?
Old 09-26-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Ghostbusters: female reboot

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.