DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Charlie's Angels -- reboot (2019, D: Elizabeth Banks) S: Stewart, Scott, Balinska, Banks (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/628618-charlies-angels-reboot-2019-d-elizabeth-banks-s-stewart-scott-balinska-banks.html)

DJariya 09-15-15 04:49 PM

Charlie's Angels -- reboot (2019, D: Elizabeth Banks) S: Stewart, Scott, Balinska, Banks

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/el...ot-1201594235/

Elizabeth Banks is in negotiations to direct a reboot for Sony’s “Charlie’s Angels” franchise.

Banks will also produce via her Universal-based Brownstone production company with her husband and producing partner Max Handelman.

“Charlie’s Angels” launched in 1976 on ABC and lasted five seasons with Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith portraying private detectives working for a benefactor named Charlie. Cheryl Ladd replaced Fawcett, with Shelley Hack and Tanya Roberts joining in later years.

Sony produced a 2000 movie with Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz and Lucy Liu, which grossed $264 million worldwide. The 2003 sequel “Charlie’s Angles: Full Throttle” grossed $259 million.

Banks made her feature directorial debut with “Pitch Perfect 2,” which grossed $285 million worldwide, in addition to starring and producing. In June, she became attached to direct fantasy “Red Queen” at Universal.

She is repped by UTA, Untitled Entertainment and Ziffren Brittenham. News about Banks joining “Charlie’s Angels” was first reported by The Hollywood Reporter.

Mike86 09-15-15 04:51 PM

re: Charlie's Angels -- reboot (2019, D: Elizabeth Banks) S: Stewart, Scott, Balinska, Banks

Honestly the two films are kind of guilty pleasures of mine. I might see the reboot depending who they get to star in it.

DJariya 09-15-15 04:53 PM

re: Charlie's Angels -- reboot (2019, D: Elizabeth Banks) S: Stewart, Scott, Balinska, Banks

I liked the first one, but hated the second one.

The no guns policy of the original films because of Drew Barrymore was fucking stupid.

Bluelitespecial 09-15-15 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12588546)

The no guns policy of the original films because of Drew Barrymore was fucking stupid.

I never saw the movies, but where did that come from, why?

davidh777 09-15-15 04:59 PM

I thought this was going to discuss remake of the TV series, which was already done and not very good.

stvn1974 09-15-15 05:07 PM

Melissa McCarthy or I don't care.

RichC2 09-15-15 05:20 PM

I'm assuming Anna Kendrick will be involved in some way shape or form.

musick 09-15-15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 12588565)

agree, she would make a great Bosley

islandclaws 09-15-15 05:26 PM

Banks should also star in it, because then I might watch it, because she's fucking gorgeous.

Why So Blu? 09-15-15 05:33 PM

I liked the first one but HATED the second one.

Decker 09-15-15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 12588587)
Banks should also star in it, because then I might watch it, because she's fucking gorgeous.

Hell, let's just root for a "Definitely, Maybe" reunion (minus Abigail Breslin) and be done with it already.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ybe_poster.jpghttp://i.usatoday.net/life/gallery/_...aybe_group.jpg

Double_Oh_7 09-15-15 06:55 PM

So it's a reboot of a reboot?

DJariya 09-15-15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 12588558)
I never saw the movies, but where did that come from, why?

Drew Barrymore was the Producer of the original movies and believes in gun control laws. She was against the Angels using guns, so they only fought using over the top wired martial arts moves.

Why So Blu? 09-15-15 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12588662)
Drew Barrymore was the Producer of the original movies and believes in gun control laws. She was against the Angels using guns, so they only fought using over the top wired martial arts moves.

And it worked. Crispin Glover was awesome in the first film but they fucked him over in the second. The Angels also had the ability to descend from really tall buildings and not break their limbs. I remember when McG answered to that and just said "they can do anything." I was done.

fujishig 09-15-15 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 12588658)
So it's a reboot of a reboot?

When it crosses over from tv to film (or vice versa), does it count as a reboot?

dex14 09-15-15 07:56 PM

Banks need to be in it for sure. I like the idea of her working on this.

windom 09-15-15 09:31 PM

I'm sure they've signed Rebel Wilson already.

LorenzoL 09-15-15 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 12588565)

Originally Posted by musick (Post 12588583)
agree, she would make a great Bosley

:lol: :up:

GoldenJCJ 09-15-15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12588580)
I'm assuming Anna Kendrick will be involved in some way shape or form.

I'd be ok with that. Banks, Kendrick, and someone like Zoe Saldana would be ok with me.

jacob_b 09-15-15 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12588699)
And it worked. Crispin Glover was awesome in the first film but they fucked him over in the second. The Angels also had the ability to descend from really tall buildings and not break their limbs. I remember when McG answered to that and just said "they can do anything." I was done.

The same guy that got fucked over in the Back to the Future sequels? If so, man can he not catch a break.

Eh, I liked the movies, but why didn't they just continue with a part 3? It made money, never understood that.

windom 09-15-15 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12588838)
I'd be ok with that. Banks, Kendrick, and someone like Zoe Saldana would be ok with me.

I'll be very surprised if the three they choose aren't in Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" video.

Deadman31 09-16-15 08:02 AM

It will probably be at least Kristen Wigg and McCarthy. Actually, since they are doing an all female Ghostbusters, maybe they should do an all male Charlie's Angels with Seth Rogen, James Franco and Jonah Hill.

stingermck 09-16-15 08:11 AM

Sure why not. Hopefully they keep the idea from the previous 2 that Bosley and the Angels were rotating positions, and Charlie was the constant.

Solid Snake 09-16-15 08:34 AM

In some way, I like the basic idea of what the property is... but I was never impressed by the old show or the McG films. Shit. I don't even remember what 2 was about. Didn't Glover's character get shot off a building?

The Infidel 09-16-15 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12589012)
In some way, I like the basic idea of what the property is... but I was never impressed by the old show or the McG films. Shit. I don't even remember what 2 was about. Didn't Glover's character get shot off a building?

The second movie (Full Throttle) was the one where Demi Moore as a former Angel was the bad guy, and near the end, the "thin man" (Glover) was fatally stabbed by Seamus.