Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda

Old 06-01-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Mira

My point exactly. The original Mary Poppins is probably the very best film of its kind with nothing besting it since. Save for some more experimental things like All That Jazz.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-01-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Mary Poppins Returns (12/25/18, D: Rob Marshall) S: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Mira

Dr Doolittle was like three years after Mary Poppins. Not the same league, but decent enough. I don't think that was a stage musical first.
Old 06-01-16, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
My point exactly. The original Mary Poppins is probably the very best film of its kind with nothing besting it since. Save for some more experimental things like All That Jazz.
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

*drops mic*
Old 06-01-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

*drops mic*
Pick up mic. There are LOTS on animated original musical movies.
Old 06-01-16, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Pick up mic. There are LOTS on animated original musical movies.
But not in the same league. It's arguably one of the best animated musicals ever made. It even won for Best Original Song at the Oscars the year it was nominated. I love a lot of original animated musicals, but those were released in the late 80s/early 90s.
Old 06-01-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a good movie, no doubt. But it did not win the Oscar. It was nominated for Best Original Song but lost (along with my beloved Aimee Mann ) to Phil Collins for "You'll Be In My Heart" from Disney's Tarzan.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...-original-song
Old 06-01-16, 01:36 PM

It's a good movie, no doubt. But it did not win the Oscar. It was nominated for Best Original Song but lost (along with my beloved Aimee Mann ) to Phil Collins for "You'll Be In My Heart" from Disney's Tarzan.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...-original-song
I sadly stand corrected. That might have been the worst best original song win for Disney ever. I think we both agree South Park was robbed (Wise Up was the best song in Magnolia, though not original).
Old 06-01-16, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And if you're talking live action with original songs? Then you're in unicorn land
Not really. Doesn't Bollywood release them pretty much every week?
Old 06-01-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
About a dozen each week.
Old 06-01-16, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
This should have Hollywood clamoring for Bollywood to make live action musicals here.
Old 07-28-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meryl Streep Joins Emily Blunt in ‘Mary Poppins’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll Film Reporter @krolljvar
JULY 28, 2016 | 05:23PM PT

Sources tell Variety, the Oscar-winning actress is in talks to join Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel-Miranda in Disney’s “Mary Poppins Returns.”

If a deal closes, the family film would reunite Streep with the “Into the Woods” musical team of Blunt, director Rob Marshall, and producer Marc Platt. Streep and Blunt also shared the screen in “The Devil Wears Prada.”

Streep is said to play the role of Poppins’ cousin, Topsy, a supporting role that wasn’t in the 1964 classic. Streep would also sing for the part, much like she did in “Into the Woods,” which earned her a record 19th Oscar nomination.

The Mary Poppins sequel hits theaters Dec. 25, 2018.

David Magee wrote the screenplay, based on the stories by P.L. Travers, with Marc Shaiman composing an all-new score and writing originals songs with Emmy nominee and Tony-winner Scott Wittman.

Blunt stars as the title character in the film with Manuel-Miranda, star of the Broadway smash “Hamilton,” playing another new character, a street lamplighter named Jack. Drawing from the wealth of material in P.L. Travers’ seven Mary Poppins novels, the story will take place in Depression-era London (when the books were originally written) and follows a now-grown Jane and Michael Banks, who, along with Michael’s three children, are visited by the enigmatic Mary Poppins following a personal loss. Through her unique magical skills, and with the aid of her friend Jack, she helps the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives.

Streep, who appeared at the Democratic Convention this week, can be seen next in the Paramount pic “Florence Foster Jenkins” which bows on Aug. 12. She is repped by CAA.
Old 07-30-16, 10:09 PM

One story I've read (and maybe it's just a story) was that Walt wanted Andrews to appear in a sequel but they couldn't come to terms (like money?).
Old 07-30-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Walt wanted to deal with P.L. Travers again. Unfortunately, she lasted way longer than he did.
Old 10-06-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Emily Mortimer Joins Disney’s ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ (EXCLUSIVE)
OCTOBER 6, 2016 | 09:30AM PT

Emily Mortimer has signed on to join Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda in Disney’s “Mary Poppins Returns.”

Mortimer will play Jane Banks, who along with her brother Jonathan (who will be played by Ben Whishaw in the pic), was one of the children the magical titular nanny looked after in the original 1964 film, and is now all-grown-up in this installment. The movie is set 25 years after the original.

The movie also stars Meryl Streep as a cousin of Poppins’. Blunt will be playing the title character, with “Hamilton” star Miranda playing a street lamplighter named Jack.

The film will be directed by Rob Marshall and produced by Marshall, John DeLuca, and Marc Platt.

The screenplay will be written by Oscar nominee David Magee and is based on “The Mary Poppins Stories” by P.L. Travers, with Marc Shaiman composing an all-new score. Scott Wittman will be writing original songs.

The film is set to bow on Dec. 25, 2018.

In the past couple of years, Mortimer has starred in two HBO shows, “The Newsroom” and “Doll & Em,” and can be seen next in the CBS Films movie “The Sense of an Ending” and Legendary’s “Spectral.” She is repped by WME and Lighthouse Management and Media.
Old 10-06-16, 01:09 PM

Her brother's name was Michael, not Jonathan.
Old 10-06-16, 01:23 PM
Banned

Meh. Never cared for the original as kid. Probably care less for it now. I actually found it annoying as a kid.

Seeing Blunt do that role though could be fun. I didn't haven anything against character.. just the movie was annoying.
Old 10-06-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I, on the other hand, love every single frame of the original, and am really looking forward to a proper sequel.

Mary Poppins was the first movie I ever saw in a theater, and in an instant it turned me into a life-long film fan. It will always be in my top 5 favorite films.
Old 10-19-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Colin Firth Joins Emily Blunt in ‘Mary Poppins’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll, Film Reporter @krolljvar
OCTOBER 19, 2016 | 02:10PM PT

Colin Firth is in negotiations to join Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda in Disney’s “Mary Poppins Returns.”

Firth will play William Weatherall Wilkins, president of Fidelity Fiduciary Bank.

The movie is set 25 years after the original. Michael and Jane Banks (Ben Whishaw and Emily Mortimer) are all grown up and suddenly get a visit from the magical nanny.

The movie also stars Meryl Streep as Poppins’ cousin. Blunt will be playing the title character, with “Hamilton” star Miranda portraying a street lamplighter named Jack.

The film will be directed by Rob Marshall and produced by Marshall, John DeLuca, and Marc Platt.

The screenplay will be written by Oscar nominee David Magee based on “The Mary Poppins Stories” by P.L. Travers. Marc Shaiman composing an all-new score and Shaiman and Scott Wittman writing original songs

“Mary Poppins Returns” will hit theaters on Dec. 25, 2018.

Firth has had a busy year with “Genius” and “Bridget Jones’s Baby” bowing months apart. He is also a producer on the critically acclaimed drama “Loving.” He can be seen next reprising his role of Harry Hart in “Kingsman: The Golden Circle.”

Firth is repped by CAA and Independent Talent Group.
Old 10-19-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

The movie is set 25 years after the original
What year was the original supposed to be? 1920's?
Old 10-21-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mabuse View Post
what year was the original supposed to be? 1920's?
Old 10-21-16, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Lin-Manuel Miranda is playing Hamilton in this, it would have to be set much earlier. Unless, of course, he's playing Teddy Roosevelt or Woodrow Wilson.
Old 10-26-16, 04:45 AM
Suspended

I'm looking forward to that.
Old 02-10-17, 01:10 PM

“Mary Poppins Returns” is set in 1930s depression-era London (the time period of the original novels) and is drawn from the wealth of material in PL Travers’ additional seven books. In the story, Michael (Whishaw) and Jane (Mortimer) are now grown up, with Michael, his three children and their housekeeper, Ellen (Walters), living on Cherry Tree Lane. After Michael suffers a personal loss, the enigmatic nanny Mary Poppins (Blunt) re-enters the lives of the Banks family, and, along with the optimistic street lamplighter Jack (Miranda), uses her unique magical skills to help the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives. Mary Poppins also introduces the children to a new assortment of colorful and whimsical characters, including her eccentric cousin, Topsy (Streep).
Old 03-03-17, 03:52 PM

Old 03-03-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who's that?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.