Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

The only movies that can seriously challenge Three Billboards' frontrunner status for Best Picture now are Lady Bird and The Shape of Water, and I don't see either movie having enough oomph to actually win the top prize. The former seems too light and the latter too out there.

McDormand and Rockwell are virtual locks to win their categories, and McDonagh is a very solid contender for the Director and Original Screenplay awards.
Old 01-22-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm seriously hoping for a backlash. Think it's coming, starting with that NYT article.

And this piece in Vulture : Your Guide to the Three Billboards Backlash
I hope so too, not a fan of this film. After watching it, the first thing I thought of was wannabe Coen Brothers meets Paul Haggis' Crash.
I don't mind if Frances McDormand wins, but I hope something else wins best picture/screenplay/director.
Sam Rockwell was pretty good, but I would love it if Willem Dafoe gets nominated and wins.
Old 01-22-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I liked the movie a good deal but also don't think it deserves Best Director or Best Writing, as the movie had a certain clunkiness to it.

McDormand and Rockwell were both great though. I think GDT has a shot at Director.
Old 01-22-18, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After SAG and the PGA, it looks like Shape of Water and Three Billboards are the definite front runners for the big prizes at the Oscars. Imho, TBOEM will get the acting awards and SOW will get the BP and BD awards. All the rest should be glad to simply be nominated.
Old 01-22-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
McDormand and Rockwell are virtual locks to win their categories.
Respectfully disagree. While McDormand was strong (as she almost always is), I'd absolutely choose Sally Hawkin's performance in 'Shape of Water' for Best Actress.
Old 01-22-18, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by faust69
After SAG and the PGA, it looks like Shape of Water and Three Billboards are the definite front runners for the big prizes at the Oscars. Imho, TBOEM will get the acting awards and SOW will get the BP and BD awards. All the rest should be glad to simply be nominated.
I didn't realize that they gave out the PGA awards already. Seems awful early.

Like I said, there are front-runners but there's a whole campaign yet to play out. Many think-pieces about this movie and race yet to be written. We may not have Harvey Weinstein and his bag of dirty tricks anymore but there is still a lot of campaigning and hand-wringing before all is said and done.

Wasn't that many years ago when Brokeback Mountain was a LOCK for Best Picture and best Director and seemed a likely winner for Best Actor (it won the PGA, the DGA, The BAFTA for Picture and Director, the Golden Globe for Picture and Director and a slew of critic's awards) and it didn't win any of those Oscars. Did anyone really think Moonlight was going to win Best Picture? Hell, we didn't even think that after the winner was announced on the stage. All I'm saying is that nothing (except Francis McDormand winning) is set in stone yet.
Old 01-23-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
Film lost me when she torched the police station. And I don't understand why almost every character had to be SO over the top to the point of caricature. Rockwell came across as borderline retarded. McDormand was such an unrelenting cu nt .. were we supposed to care about her? The scene when the daughter was alive McDormand's character was still an asshole so it's not like the daughter's death pushed her in that direction.
Thank goodness I am not the only one.

The film lost me when retarded cop busts through the door, beats the shit and then throws the guy out the window. I love Sam Rockwell but hated this character. I know there are probably some dumb cops out there but Benny from L.A. Law was smarter than this guy.

There are plenty of other problems that have already been mentioned but the retard cop was the worst part about this movie.
Old 01-27-18, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Respectfully disagree. While McDormand was strong (as she almost always is), I'd absolutely choose Sally Hawkin's performance in 'Shape of Water' for Best Actress.
Hawkins was magical in that role. McDormand just was angry. I liked this movie but did not think it was anything exceptional.
Old 01-27-18, 06:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it, but agree that many of the performances/characterizations were way too over the top.
Old 01-27-18, 07:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

saw it again tonight. loved it just as much, if not a little more. caught some things didn't on first viewing. so good and so powerful. this was a great movie...
Old 01-27-18, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Saw it tonight, liked it quite a bit except for the ending (which I didn't hate)
Spoiler:
a bit disappointing that the crime was never solved and Mildred didn't get justice for her daughter. Also felt kinda weird that her and Dixon were going to kill another possible rapist as a way to cope

The acting and dialogue were on point though. Expect a nominee or two in the acting categories and maybe screenplay. It was cool seeing a bunch of familiar faces outside of the main cast of McDormand, Harrelson and Rockwell. Peter Dinklage, the kid from Manchester by the Sea, John Hawkes is always good, and even recognized Charlie's mom from It's Always Sunny as Rockwell's mom. Basically playing the same character ha.

Anyway good film, recommended.
I just saw this today and thought it was really good. My thought on the ending was
Spoiler:
that it tied in very well with the scene near the beginning where Mildred Hays rants about culpability. If you're part of a group, even if you didn't commit a particular crime, you are culpable. So all priests are culpable for raping altar boys. And all rapists are culpable for raping her daughter. At least that's what I thought (even though I'm not sure I agree with that idea.)

I only saw a few new movies in 2017, but this was my favorite of a very small sample.

Last edited by tasha99; 01-28-18 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-28-18, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
saw it again tonight. loved it just as much, if not a little more. caught some things didn't on first viewing. so good and so powerful. this was a great movie...
[X] What are you high?

Seriously, I don't know what to say to that. It's an okay movie, extremely well-acted and apparently written by someone with zero concept of how human beings behave or interact with each other. There are eye-rolling caricatures, credulity-stretching coincidences and baffling,out-of character choices made. I have no problem with a little ambiguity at the end -- in fact I'm a fan of it, but not so wild about the dozens of weird turns that came before. From law-enforcement treating the crime of fire-bombing their police station with all the care and concern one would normally expect from a jaywalking violation, to the instant chummy reconciliation between a dim-witted racist cop and the woman he knows just burned him alive and permanently disfigured him.

Help me out here : What is so "powerful"? What is so profound? I have no idea what this movie is trying to say about the human condition besides the fact that mothers don't like it when their daughters get raped and murdered and their killers don't get caught. That doesn't seem like a next-level, jaw-dropping revelation to me.

I can't help but compare this film to Lady Bird (because they're both about strong, independent women, are dark comedies and are competing in several of the same categories) and even accounting for personal taste, I have NO IDEA why someone would prefer Three Billboards to that one which, if small and modest in scope, at least feels intensely personal and profound, has a unique perspective and displays some general knowledge of actual human behavior and interaction.
Old 01-28-18, 06:14 AM

[X] What are you high?

Seriously, I don't know what to say to that. It's an okay movie, extremely well-acted and apparently written by someone with zero concept of how human beings behave or interact with each other. There are eye-rolling caricatures, credulity-stretching coincidences and baffling,out-of character choices made. I have no problem with a little ambiguity at the end -- in fact I'm a fan of it, but not so wild about the dozens of weird turns that came before. From law-enforcement treating the crime of fire-bombing their police station with all the care and concern one would normally expect from a jaywalking violation, to the instant chummy reconciliation between a dim-witted racist cop and the woman he knows just burned him alive and permanently disfigured him.

Help me out here : What is so "powerful"? What is so profound? I have no idea what this movie is trying to say about the human condition besides the fact that mothers don't like it when their daughters get raped and murdered and their killers don't get caught. That doesn't seem like a next-level, jaw-dropping revelation to me.

I can't help but compare this film to Lady Bird (because they're both about strong, independent women, are dark comedies and are competing in several of the same categories) and even accounting for personal taste, I have NO IDEA why someone would prefer Three Billboards to that one which, if small and modest in scope, at least feels intensely personal and profound, has a unique perspective and displays some general knowledge of actual human behavior and interaction.
Pretty much this. I enjoyed Three Billboards, but there is nothing powerful or amazing about the performances. I’ll watch it again, but it doesn’t deserve any Oscar noms besides maybe screenplay. A more realistic take on the story and less over-the-top characters could make it a better film.

Saw Lady Bird last night and loved it.
Old 01-28-18, 10:30 AM

[X] What are you high?

i didn't say profound, but it is powerful and mesmerizing in it's performances. McDonagh is known for his quirky characterizations (In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths, two films which i loved as well, especially In Bruges). this isn't a movie where characters are necessarily real in real life or speak like they would in real life, but the actors who portrayed each role (especially McDormand, who you see emotion pouring out in various scenes on a dime and while I would like Hawkins to win, no denying McDormand has a great shot at another) were amazing and the emotion felt was powerful (to me) and that is why i give it such high praise and why it was easy to sit through it again, with someone, and enjoy it that much more. the slight bits of humor, the raw, small-town feel, all so very well done and portrayed...
Old 01-28-18, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

[X] What are you high?

If this wins a bunch of awards, it will be the new Crash (2004).
Old 01-28-18, 12:20 PM

you guys are missing the subtlety and magic of this movie i think...
Old 01-28-18, 12:23 PM

The problem is there is no subtlety. It’s over-acted and heavy handed to the extreme, yet still manages to keep the racism issues largely unresolved.
Old 01-28-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Subtle as a sledgehammer to the cranium. I wouldn't call it magical, I'd call it heavy handed and manipulative.
Old 01-28-18, 01:28 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I liked the movie a lot... but subtle? Come on...
Old 01-28-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

*shrug* it was a darkly funny and entertaining movie, and that's about where it starts and ends for me.
Old 01-28-18, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
I liked the movie a lot... but subtle? Come on...
subtle in emotion, comedy, they were there, but very hidden, sometimes. you have to find it, immerse in the movie and enjoy it...
Old 01-28-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts

It wasn't subtle, or even all that realistic. My husband is from KC Missouri originally, and he was thrown by how much adults cussed in front of children in the film, as it's not the normal culture there to talk like that.

Also,
Spoiler:
I think no police department would follow up so lackadaisically on a Molotov cocktail incident that caused property damage and severe burning of someone.
But . . . It was still an engaging and entertaining movie to me despite those flaws, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 01-28-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
*shrug* it was a darkly funny and entertaining movie, and that's about where it starts and ends for me.
Yep. My thoughts as well. I'll be glad to see it take home several awards on Oscar night.
Old 01-28-18, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Yep. My thoughts as well. I'll be glad to see it take home several awards on Oscar night.
I don’t think that’s what he’s saying at all...
Old 01-28-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no problem with it taking awards for acting or a few other categories, but it correctly wasn't nominated for director.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.