Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Old 12-19-17, 01:05 AM
  #51  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,335
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

I loved this movie. I like any movie with flawed characters. The good guys aren't always that good, and the bad guys aren't 100% bad. I remember when Titanic was beating L.A. Confidential in all the awards, and it annoyed me. Titanic was good, but the characters were soooooo one-dimensional. Billy Zane might as well have twirled his mustache. But all the cops in L.A. Confidential, even the squeaky clean Ed Exley, show a dark side in addition to their quest for justice.

Three Billboards is the same way. Despite the honorable intentions of Mildred, she might not be going about things the right way, and she's opening wounds rather than curing them. To say any more would be spoiling it, if I haven't already.

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
Movie looks great, but man is that one horrible title.
I loved the title. So much better than the generic "A Mother's Justice" or "Swift Vengeance" that passes for a movie title nowadays. Especially since the billboards really are a pivotal element of the plot. A title like this immediately gets my attention, and I want to see it almost on the title alone.
Paff is offline  
Old 12-19-17, 03:43 AM
  #52  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,921
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I loved this movie. I like any movie with flawed characters. The good guys aren't always that good, and the bad guys aren't 100% bad. I remember when Titanic was beating L.A. Confidential in all the awards, and it annoyed me. Titanic was good, but the characters were soooooo one-dimensional. Billy Zane might as well have twirled his mustache. But all the cops in L.A. Confidential, even the squeaky clean Ed Exley, show a dark side in addition to their quest for justice.

Three Billboards is the same way. Despite the honorable intentions of Mildred, she might not be going about things the right way, and she's opening wounds rather than curing them. To say any more would be spoiling it, if I haven't already.



I loved the title. So much better than the generic "A Mother's Justice" or "Swift Vengeance" that passes for a movie title nowadays. Especially since the billboards really are a pivotal element of the plot. A title like this immediately gets my attention, and I want to see it almost on the title alone.

WELL SAID! Definitely one of the very best films of 2017. Hopefully, it will be honored at the Oscars. It deserves it.
Throwing Copper is offline  
Old 12-19-17, 11:12 AM
  #53  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,186
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I loved this movie. I like any movie with flawed characters. The good guys aren't always that good, and the bad guys aren't 100% bad. I remember when Titanic was beating L.A. Confidential in all the awards, and it annoyed me. Titanic was good, but the characters were soooooo one-dimensional. Billy Zane might as well have twirled his mustache. But all the cops in L.A. Confidential, even the squeaky clean Ed Exley, show a dark side in addition to their quest for justice.
Yeah, I really liked how every character had their own demons and personals tragedies. That element along with the complete unpredictability of the plot added to the realism. Also beautifully shot and perfect subtle soundtrack.

Everyone is gushing about McDormand's performance and rightfully so, but I was more impressed with Sam Rockwell's portrayal of Dixon. I think you could even make the case that the movie was really about his character and evolution.

A little fun bit of trivia I uncovered about the film. It was actually shot in Sylva North Carolina. When I looked up the downtown area in google street view, I could see a sign for Ebbing news herald. lol Maybe they decided to keep it for tourism. The police station was a complete mockup.
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 12-19-17, 12:39 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,502
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

I loved this movie. I do think the audience I saw it with thought I was insane. I think I was the only one in the theater who believed that much of the movie is hilarious. It's also serious and thoughtful, but when it is funny, it really hits.
pjflyer is offline  
Old 12-27-17, 09:53 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,805
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Holy shit, just watched this and fucking loved it. It's gonna get nominated for a bunch of awards but most definitely for Best Original Screenplay. That was one of the greatest
Spoiler:
suicide notes I've ever heard
.

Martin McDonagh is 3 for 3.


I just read that he did not have a great experience on In Brugse due to studio interference. That may be why his films are still few and far apart.

In Bruges was relentless and exhausting. I had to deal with them [Focus Films, the production company] trying to change anything they could change. And Focus are supposed to be supportive, indie-filmmaker-friendly people. Scumbags. It was constant war, but they never won.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-27-17 at 10:00 PM.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 12-30-17, 02:03 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,243
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

I liked this but did not love it. The performances were top notch and the letters were great from the Chief, but it was just a little too over the top for me. I realize that it was a movie ABOUT anger but it was maybe a little too angry for me. The whole sequence with the police station was ludicrous. I never actually expected any resolution as it was foreshadowed strongly at the beginning, but I thought that ultimately where it went just did not work for me. As good as McDormand was, I think Hawkins performance is more deserving. Other than Plummer the acting awards could be really close.
johnnysd is offline  
Old 12-30-17, 02:59 PM
  #57  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26,918
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Holy shit, just watched this and fucking loved it. It's gonna get nominated for a bunch of awards but most definitely for Best Original Screenplay. That was one of the greatest
Spoiler:
suicide notes I've ever heard
.

Martin McDonagh is 3 for 3.


I just read that he did not have a great experience on In Brugse due to studio interference. That may be why his films are still few and far apart.
I never knew that about In Bruge. Thank god they weren't able to fuck with it. That is one of my favorite movies.
dex14 is offline  
Old 12-30-17, 03:41 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,243
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I never knew that about In Bruge. Thank god they weren't able to fuck with it. That is one of my favorite movies.
Definitely. Hopefully this movie opens up his ability to put his vision on the screen more often.
johnnysd is offline  
Old 01-01-18, 02:24 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,724
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

I dug this movie but I felt some of the line delivery was just strained, but a minor complaint.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 01-01-18, 09:12 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,403
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Damn, McDonagh has delivered yet another great film. Agree with another poster here that said the Chief was a little over the top, but it was tolerable. And his character ended up being one of the most likeable in the end. The screenplay is absolutely brilliant. I can see this getting Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (McDormand), Best Supporting Actor (Rockwell, and possibly Harrelson too) and Best Original Screenplay.
Daytripper is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 02:22 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,069
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
at her kicking those kids in the groin.
I cracked up because I saw this after watching Dave Chappelle on NF.



...the kid from Welcome to the Dollhouse.
mrhan is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 03:19 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Finisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,476
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I liked this but did not love it. The performances were top notch and the letters were great from the Chief, but it was just a little too over the top for me. I realize that it was a movie ABOUT anger but it was maybe a little too angry for me. The whole sequence with the police station was ludicrous.
Film lost me when she torched the police station. And I don't understand why almost every character had to be SO over the top to the point of caricature. Rockwell came across as borderline retarded. McDormand was such an unrelenting cu nt .. were we supposed to care about her? The scene when the daughter was alive McDormand's character was still an asshole so it's not like the daughter's death pushed her in that direction.
Finisher is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 10:14 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 46,283
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

An unrealistic predictable mess of a film filled with unlikeable caricatures.

1.5/5
inri222 is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 01:32 AM
  #64  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,243
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Film lost me when she torched the police station. And I don't understand why almost every character had to be SO over the top to the point of caricature. Rockwell came across as borderline retarded. McDormand was such an unrelenting cu nt .. were we supposed to care about her? The scene when the daughter was alive McDormand's character was still an asshole so it's not like the daughter's death pushed her in that direction.
Yeah, I agree with that. The flashbacks didnt need to be Leave it to Beaver, but I think that they should have shown her character to at least be normal and maybe somehow build towards that fight.
johnnysd is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 06:40 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,487
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
An unrealistic predictable mess of a film filled with unlikeable caricatures.

1.5/5


No fucking surprise that you wouldn't like it.
d2cheer is offline  
Old 01-05-18, 08:03 AM
  #66  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,724
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

I don't know what it says about me but I liked the characters
RichC2 is offline  
Old 01-08-18, 07:19 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,319
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Not a big fan of this one. I think I'm getting conditioned to these artsy pics. As soon as it started, I told my wife "this movie will end with the murder unsolved and in a fairly vague, non-closure manner."

Minority opinion but I feel movies like this are starting to get saturated.
Noonan is offline  
Old 01-08-18, 08:03 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,724
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Not a big fan of this one. I think I'm getting conditioned to these artsy pics. As soon as it started, I told my wife "this movie will end with the murder unsolved and in a fairly vague, non-closure manner."

Minority opinion but I feel movies like this are starting to get saturated.
There's artsy and there's indie. This was indie. Artsy is more akin to what mother! and Killing of a Sacred Deer went for.

I didn't love the ending on this, but the murder definitely felt like it was besides the point by the time it ended.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 01-08-18, 08:07 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,319
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

It felt to me like it was besides the point at the beginning. It was clear that it was going to be purely a character piece and not at all about the murder when it started.

IMO, indie films come in all shapes and sizes. Maybe artsy isn't the correct word but this one fell into a certain category which I feel is being hit hard. Similar to a move like Manchester. I didn't enjoy that one either.
Noonan is offline  
Old 01-08-18, 08:09 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,724
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

You said it in your second sentence, they're character pieces.

Plots happen but it's more about the evolution of the character than any actual storyline, the vague ending trope to hammer home that "It was never about the plot" does get old.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 01-08-18, 08:12 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,319
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Yeah, I agree. They all seem to be basically the same at this point. Depressing story which doesn't get much attention, full movie about the characters dealing with said situation.

Maybe someone could make a good character piece revolving around a more up-beat story? That would be a nice change of pace.
Noonan is offline  
Old 01-08-18, 09:02 AM
  #72  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 46,283
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Maybe artsy isn't the correct word but this one fell into a certain category.
That category would be : Wannabe Coen Brothers.
Hell they even got Joel Coen's wife to star.
inri222 is offline  
Old 01-08-18, 12:37 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Defiant1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,426
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Yeah, I agree. They all seem to be basically the same at this point. Depressing story which doesn't get much attention, full movie about the characters dealing with said situation.

Maybe someone could make a good character piece revolving around a more up-beat story? That would be a nice change of pace.
Lady Bird and Call Me By Your Name come to mind
Defiant1 is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 10:22 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,280
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Saw this over the weekend, what an amazing film. I was a bit let down by the open ending but very satisfied overall.

The moment when Dixon crosses the street and starts breaking and hitting everyone was striking. He has a history of assaulting innocent people, so you are not supposed to like him. Yet you know where the moment of violence is coming from
nando820 is offline  
Old 01-16-18, 11:31 AM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 42,813
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Saw it this weekend. Liked it, didn't love it. The film kinda lost me when she firebombed the police station. Nothing in the film that preceded that would have predicted that sort of behavior and the film kinda went off the rails at that point.
MacDormond was great, though it's not her top-tier stuff like Fargo or Almost Famous. Woody Harrelson has sneakily become one of my favoite actors lately and he was spectacular here. Sam Rockwell -- he was okay, but totally undeserving of the Best Supporting Actor GG he just won. It felt like a total caricature and not at all a lived-in performance to me. If not for his sudden turn into compassionate person, nobody would even be discussing him come award season.

As a big picture, I came away totally confused as to what the point was -- more specifically what the movie was trying to say about vengeance and forgiveness, because it tries to have it both ways.

I wasn't bored and liked a lot of the performances, but it won't be a movie that I will look back fondly upon.
Decker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.