Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Martian (Scott, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Martian (Scott, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
25.00%
35.71%
25.00%
5.36%
3.57%
0%
0%
0%
3.57%
0%
0%
Get Me Home!
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

The Martian (Scott, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Old 10-04-15, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: The Martian (Scott, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I've seen other people make this argument and I think it's ridiculous.

I know the Titanic sinks, but I still watch Titanic.
I know Roger Maris will break Babe Ruth's record, but I can watch 61* more than once.
I know Tom Hanks makes it off the island, but Cast Away is re-watchable.
Dorothy makes it home from Oz, but...well, you get the point.
Cast Away is pretty unwatchable, though.
Old 10-04-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That was quite cool considering Sean Bean was fucking there!
Did you catch the Star Fox joke?

Spoiler:
"Don't do a barrel roll!"
Old 10-05-15, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it tonight, enjoyed it quite a bit. I might check out the book when I get a chance. Overall I just really enjoyed how it wasn't so heavy handed with the drama. The humor throughout was excellent, especially all of Damon's quips about being a space pirate or Iron Man. I enjoyed his interaction with the crew as well. All those things made it feel a little breezier then say, Gravity, which felt more tense throughout and I'm glad this didn't have that kind of serious tone here and everything ended happily.

Great all around cast too, they juggled all the characters pretty well given how many there were. Donald Glover and Wiig felt a bit off for me given I know them for their other work. Didn't quite recognize Sebastian Stan in this either until the end, but glad to see him in more things.
Old 10-05-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Saw it yesterday and liked it. It fell a bit flat for me though, having read the book before knowing it was going to be a movie. I did think Damon was great in it, but the humor that was in the movie wasn't as significant as it was in the book. Some of the scenes in the book that I thought were hilarious were just ok in the film. I tried to judge the movie on it's own, but I really couldn't do that. Enjoyable though. Don't think I'll be watching it again though.
Old 10-05-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I know Roger Maris will break Babe Ruth's record, but I can watch 61* more than once.
Yeah, even the title 61* was already a spoiler during that movie's 1st viewing!
Old 10-05-15, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83
Did you catch the Star Fox joke?

Spoiler:
"Don't do a barrel roll!"

I did not catch that one. haha
Old 10-05-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ending seemed a contrived (and IMO not-coincidental) combination of a similar sequence in Mission to Mars with the ending of Red Planet. Also, the whole Watney-punching-a-hole-in-his-glove-to-propel-himself Ironman-style didn't add to believability, either.

Otherwise, the family and I thought it a well made and entertaining film.

Well… actually I'm the only one who had an issue with the ending.
Old 10-06-15, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it last night and thought it was 'meh'.
While it didn't have the massive plot holes of Prometheus, there were some irregular flaws that broke me out of the movie watching experience.

Spoiler:

The word 'fuck' was constantly censored out of the movie. It was okay when they cut to security footage of him swearing without audio, but when we see his messages coming in to the NASA control room it's all 'f__k' and the guy reading it says 'F-Word' as if he's around primary school kids and can't swear. And then after he swears they say to him something like 'Whoa, the whole world is watching what you are typing'... bullshit! As if they would allow his communication to be broadcast worldwide without being screened first. What if he had some sensitive information? Security doesn't seem to be all that much of a concern to NASA.

and then
Spoiler:

Jeff Daniels character.. what an utter prick! I simply cannot believe someone as callous as him would be appointed the head of NASA. It felt as if he was put there in the script just to have someone the viewer could hate. Also, first he says they shouldn't tell the team that the guy they left behind is still alive so they can 'stick to protocol and follow the mission plan' and then he forces the next launch to be fast tracked which would be against protocol and the entire ship explodes because of him. Yet no one gets mad at him.

also
Spoiler:

apart from Damon I thought the characters were quite generic and did dumb things. ie. Redhead who leaves Damon behind starts feeling unsure as she is about to go up the ladder, but did you see that bloody storm? There's no freaking way anyone would be able to go out there looking for him in that. I thought astronauts would be sensible about stuff like that.

aaaaaand
Spoiler:

An entire building full of NASA staff and months later one sleep deprived staff member who no one even knows (and he doesn't know anyone) figures out that they should use the slingshot method around the planetary orbits. And then goes on to describe how all this works to the head of NASA and his staff. Totally unbelievable. lol.

So overall I thought the movie was set in a PG-13 universe and most of the characters were just generic roles put in place to form the structure of a movie. As opposed to making something believable (character wise anyway).

I kept wanting to see another Contact or Event Horizon.
Old 10-07-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fmian
While it didn't have the massive plot holes of Prometheus, there were some irregular flaws that broke me out of the movie watching experience.

Spoiler:

The word 'fuck' was constantly censored out of the movie. It was okay when they cut to security footage of him swearing without audio, but when we see his messages coming in to the NASA control room it's all 'f__k' and the guy reading it says 'F-Word' as if he's around primary school kids and can't swear. And then after he swears they say to him something like 'Whoa, the whole world is watching what you are typing'... bullshit! As if they would allow his communication to be broadcast worldwide without being screened first. What if he had some sensitive information? Security doesn't seem to be all that much of a concern to NASA.
Regarding this one...

Spoiler:
I thought he just said that it was being broadcast to try and make Watney reply in a more serious manner opposed to it actually being true.

All the other things you mention honestly felt like real life decisions and reactions that people would actually have.
Old 10-07-15, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I think in two years, we'll be seeing Michael Pena in everything, kind of like Kevin Hart is now. He is certainly a star on the rise.
Um...you watching movies now? He IS in every movie like most of the cast in that movie lol. He has been in Antman, Vacation, The Vatican Tapes, and this movie just this year alone. Fury, American Hustle, Cesar Chavez, End of Watch, dude is everywhere.

As for the movie, normally not a space fan, but this movie was amazing. Never read the book so will have to check it out. Loved Matt Damon's humor and as someone mentioned, seems like a lot of real life things people will do in play. Kind of expected a more shocking ending
Spoiler:
I guess people being alive at the end of a space movie is shocking
but otherwise I really loved it and cannot wait for it to come out to own. Could be Matt's best role.
Old 10-07-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not spoilerizing my responses below because this is a review thread.

Originally Posted by fmian

Spoiler:

Getting an R rating for what is otherwise a movie that kids could enjoy is a stiff price to pay for a few extra F-bombs. Easing up on the language a bit did nothing to diminish the movie. It's not the same as "censoring," by the way.

Also, NASA does regularly broadcast live communications as it happens.

Spoiler:

Jeff Daniels character.. what an utter prick! I simply cannot believe someone as callous as him would be appointed the head of NASA. It felt as if he was put there in the script just to have someone the viewer could hate. Also, first he says they shouldn't tell the team that the guy they left behind is still alive so they can 'stick to protocol and follow the mission plan' and then he forces the next launch to be fast tracked which would be against protocol and the entire ship explodes because of him. Yet no one gets mad at him.
You mean like the NASA administrators who pushed for the launch of the space shuttle Challenger in order to keep on schedule, despite serious engineering concerns over the temperature that day? Yeah, only seven people died because of that.

In the book, and I think pretty well in the movie, Teddy is a prick but he also makes the decisions he makes for well-grounded, if somewhat cold and heartless reasons. Risking the lives of the entire crew to save one person would never be OK'ed in reality.

As far as fast-tracking the probe, it was pretty clear they had to get it launched by a certain date or there was no point to it, so protocols had to be tossed out the window.

Spoiler:

An entire building full of NASA staff and months later one sleep deprived staff member who no one even knows (and he doesn't know anyone) figures out that they should use the slingshot method around the planetary orbits. And then goes on to describe how all this works to the head of NASA and his staff. Totally unbelievable. lol.
NASA has hundreds of engineers. You can't expect the agency's top administrators to know everyone. I'm fairly certain the guy who runs the local office of my company has no idea who I am, much less the corporate CEO knowing who I am.

And I'm sure the Jeff Daniels character knew how gravity assist works. Explaining how and why you would use it in this specific case isn't unreasonable.

It's also called "exposition."
Old 10-07-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was entertained by The Martian but Gravity is a much better film, imo.
Old 10-07-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I thought it was just awful (mainly because of the script.) Way too long, and descended into silliness at the end. Seems I'm by far in the minority with this view.
Sillyness is what this movie needed and what made it work.
Old 10-07-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interstellar is better.
Old 10-08-15, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interstellar is better.
Maybe, but it's still the more disappointing of the two given the material.
Old 10-08-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Maybe, but it's still the more disappointing of the two given the material.
Depends. The Martian is based on a novel. Gravity and Interstellar are original material.

I'd rank them:

Interstellar
Gravity
The Martian
Old 10-08-15, 04:02 PM
Banned

Depends. The Martian is based on a novel. Gravity and Interstellar are original material.
Exactly. Nolan didn't have guidelines. That is why his film is the more disappointing of the two.
Old 10-08-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly. Nolan didn't have guidelines. That is why his film is the more disappointing of the two.

One can also say it's a cheat.
Old 10-08-15, 04:17 PM
Banned

One can also say it's a cheat.
They'd be wrong.
Old 10-08-15, 04:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

gonna see this Sat. #psyched
Old 10-08-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They'd be wrong.
Why?
Old 10-08-15, 04:21 PM
Banned

Why?
A filmmaker is never obligated to be faithful to source material. Making the absolute best film you possibly can should be the goal for any director or artist.
Old 10-08-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A filmmaker is never obligated to be faithful to source material. Making the absolute best film you possibly can should be the goal for any director or artist.
Right, but when you have source material that is faithful to the film (not saying Scott didn't do a great job on his own) then one can say by having an extra blueprint to work from helps it along. You don't need to be that "original."

I'm not knocking it but there's no way in hell The Martian is better than Gravity or Interstellar on a story/screenplay basis. IMO
Old 10-08-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Right, but when you have source material that is faithful to the film (not saying Scott didn't do a great job on his own) then one can say by having an extra blueprint to work from helps it along. You don't need to be that "original."

I'm not knocking it but there's no way in hell The Martian is better than Gravity or Interstellar on a story/screenplay basis. IMO
But they can say, as far as entertainment and acting goes, Martian could win. Thought Interstellar was the weakest of the three. Went to sleep during a part of that film.
Old 10-08-15, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. In some cases, if the filmmaker feels the source material is strong enough, they'll probably stick with it for that reason.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.