Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Krampus (2015, D: Michael Dougherty) S: Adam Scott, David Koechner, Toni Collette

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Krampus (2015, D: Michael Dougherty) S: Adam Scott, David Koechner, Toni Collette

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Re: Krampus (2015, D: Michael Dougherty) S: Adam Scott, David Koechner, Toni Collette

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, American Dad did a Krampus episode a few years ago as well, Minstrel Krampus.

American Dad is the first thing that popped into my mind upon seeing the thread title.

One thing I really like about American Dad is they never have traditional Christmas specials. They're always dark, violent, Christmas tales. Santa and the Smiths don't have a very good relationship.
Old 09-11-15, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Krampus (2015, D: Michael Dougherty) S: Adam Scott, David Koechner, Toni Collette

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
The League also had an episode titled "A Krampus Carol," so...
Yup. I believe they helped make it blow up. That's how I know of this legend.
Old 09-11-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes, but Rare Exports wasn't about Krampus. There are tons of films about an evil Santa.
Have you seen it or are you just basing that off a preview? I thought it was pretty clear that the whole point of the movie was that the real Santa was actually Krampus. He was a giant monster with horns that wanted to punish evil children and eat them. A quick google search looks like that's the commonly held understanding, including by the distributor of the film in the US.
Old 09-11-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
American Dad is the first thing that popped into my mind upon seeing the thread title.

One thing I really like about American Dad is they never have traditional Christmas specials. They're always dark, violent, Christmas tales. Santa and the Smiths don't have a very good relationship.
The American Dad "Rapture's Delight" episode is one of the few TV episodes I wish was a full movie, loved that stuff But yeah, their Christmas tales are always something special.
Old 09-11-15, 09:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Have you seen it or are you just basing that off a preview? I thought it was pretty clear that the whole point of the movie was that the real Santa was actually Krampus. He was a giant monster with horns that wanted to punish evil children and eat them. A quick google search looks like that's the commonly held understanding, including by the distributor of the film in the US.
Sweet! I was going from limited searches not showing any mention of Krampus. I'm not sure if I even saw it yet.
Old 09-11-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

We have Rare Exports at the house. A strange movie it is but not all that memorable.
Old 09-12-15, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm in, but didn't we just have a Krampus movie a couple years ago?
(2013)
Old 12-03-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Seeing Krampus in about an hour.
Old 12-03-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by A-aron
There is another one .. I think it is called A Christmas Horror Story that involves the Krampus as well.

Edit: found it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7Z3ybMTpqFw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This was not that bad. Had some great stuff but the coverart sucks balls.
Old 12-03-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got back from this and boy was it a dark as fuck flick. Yeah, it had its cheesy moments but the level of darkness and violence more than made up for it and the Krampus character looked fucking awesome.

No, it was not better than Trick R Treat but that's apples and oranges. The Blu-ray will be mine.
Old 12-04-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just got back from this and boy was it a dark as fuck flick. Yeah, it had its cheesy moments but the level of darkness and violence more than made up for it and the Krampus character looked fucking awesome.

No, it was not better than Trick R Treat but that's apples and oranges. The Blu-ray will be mine.
So, in your opinion, is it ok for a 13 year old to see or is it too violent / gory? My daughter is bugging me to see it but this looks borderline Rated R based on the trailers I've seen.
Old 12-04-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
So, in your opinion, is it ok for a 13 year old to see or is it too violent / gory? My daughter is bugging me to see it but this looks borderline Rated R based on the trailers I've seen.
Not gory, but violent. They do drop 1 f-bomb, as well, so that's skirting the rating.

I'd say sure, why not?
Old 12-04-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it. Here's my review - http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...mpus-2015.html
Old 12-04-15, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw it today. Fucking Hell. That was the way you make a movie. Jesus. So much horror type films suck shit but this had the backing of the studio to do what it did and just live in that world. Fuckin' A, motherfuckers.

So fucking good. The actors, the tone, and the unrelenting will to not back into falling into generic narrative results. Loved everything about it. It just felt so fully realized that it felt like a real world even w/ the humor in it. It just accepted it and went.

I'm fucking buying this BD.
Old 12-04-15, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cannot wait to see this! I love the Krampus legend and have been waiting for a movie like this for a long time. Glad to see the positive reviews!
Old 12-04-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I somehow missed this was from the director of Trick 'r Treat, or I wouldn't have been quite so surprised at how good it was. I was expecting it to be more goofy funny, but they played it pretty straight (all things considered) and really nailed it. The atmosphere was perfect, the tone was fun, and I loved all the creatures in the movie. A+ and adding it to my yearly Christmas movie list from here on out. Good times.

Originally Posted by Rob V

A lot of the violence is implied and not shown, so it's not really gory. There's no sex or anything, and just 1 f bomb that is used in an appropriate time. If she's not too sensitive to a few intense scenes, she should be ok.
Old 12-05-15, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this tonight with one of my best friends.

I enjoyed it! I'll echo what has already been mentioned and say that I loved the tone, atmosphere and visual design of the creatures.

The only thing I would nitpick would be
Spoiler:
how Krampus' face looked up close. Having a static mouth like that makes the character's face look too much like a mask. I was hoping for some sort of articulation. I know earlier scenes with Krampus had a CG tongue & movement.

I enjoyed that the writing really stuck to its guns and didn't fall into most generic Horror Pitfalls. I noticed that alone divided the large audience I saw it with.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Nice review! I was thinking the same thing that you mentioned in the review and was
Spoiler:
hoping that Dougherty wouldn't go the generic dream route but seeing how soft the lens was during Max's realization, I was quickly relieved.

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-05-15 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-05-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone
I somehow missed this was from the director of Trick 'r Treat, or I wouldn't have been quite so surprised at how good it was. I was expecting it to be more goofy funny, but they played it pretty straight (all things considered) and really nailed it. The atmosphere was perfect, the tone was fun, and I loved all the creatures in the movie. A+ and adding it to my yearly Christmas movie list from here on out. Good times.

A lot of the violence is implied and not shown, so it's not really gory. There's no sex or anything, and just 1 f bomb that is used in an appropriate time. If she's not too sensitive to a few intense scenes, she should be ok.
Thanks for the feedback
Old 12-05-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Saw this tonight with one of my best friends.

I enjoyed it! I'll echo what has already been mentioned and say that I loved the tone, atmosphere and visual design of the creatures.

The only thing I would nitpick would be
Spoiler:
how Krampus' face looked up close. Having a static mouth like that makes the character's face look too much like a mask. I was hoping for some sort of articulation. I know earlier scenes with Krampus had a CG tongue & movement.

Spoiler:
You know, I wonder if the original cut (maybe it was deleted) had Krampus take of his "mask." I say that, because during some of the close-ups, especially, of the eyes, what looked static, looked like a mask to me. I wonder if they left that out, because it'd be too excessive?
Old 12-05-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Loved it, will be rewatching every year. A+.
Old 12-05-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Spoiler:
You know, I wonder if the original cut (maybe it was deleted) had Krampus take of his "mask." I say that, because during some of the close-ups, especially, of the eyes, what looked static, looked like a mask to me. I wonder if they left that out, because it'd be too excessive?
Is there an original cut or is that speculation?

From an interview with Dougherty, it sounds like something was cut out of the original draft in regards to his appearance. Something he hints at putting in a sequel.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/intervi...ael-dougherty/

Spoiler:
During one of the close-ups of Krampus & Max, his right eye (which gets zoomed in on) looks pretty wet, different than the elves' masks. Also the earlier scene with Grandma & Krampus, has Krampus' tongue & mouth articulate. Could have just been a slip-up by the FX crew since the shot on Krampus' face doesn't linger too long. Still, it's kind of a no-no to have a creature design like that with static/non-articulated mouths. It makes the whole thing looks a but too Halloween-Costume-Ish and doesn't allow for deeper emotion to be shown thrown the costume or FX design.

I'll have to see it again to double check

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-05-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Is there an original cut or is that speculation?

From an interview with Dougherty, it sounds like something was cut out of the original draft in regards to his appearance. Something he hints at putting in a sequel.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/intervi...ael-dougherty/

Spoiler:
During one of the close-ups of Krampus & Max, his right eye (which gets zoomed in on) looks pretty wet, different than the elves' masks. Also the earlier scene with Grandma & Krampus, has Krampus' tongue & mouth articulate. Could have just been a slip-up by the FX crew since the shot on Krampus' face doesn't linger too long. Still, it's kind of a no-no to have a creature design like that with static/non-articulated mouths. It makes the whole thing looks a but too Halloween-Costume-Ish and doesn't allow for deeper emotion to be shown thrown the costume or FX design.

I'll have to see it again to double check

Yeah, it's speculation on my part from what I was able to see. I expected Krampus
Spoiler:
to take of what looked to be a mask.

This design that they went with was more of a hybrid.
Spoiler:
Man/Goat. It had the face of a man, horns, and hooves.

I really enjoyed the aspect of him being more practical, as were the evil elves, monsters, etc., than CGI. Krampus definitely had some weight and was physically there on the set. A lot of the people in screening let out gasps and "oh shits," because they didn't expect the character to have the speed he did. He was roof hopping and running, which was pretty scary in retrospect.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-05-15 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the Michael Dougherty quote from that article:

Spoiler:
After the fact that the beast is shown in his entirety is pointed out to Dougherty, he replies with a sly smile that “You see a face, but is that his real face or not? His current appearance in this film might be…might be a rouse on his part,” Adding on that “There’s one thing we had to cut out of the script in some earlier drafts, that I might save for a sequel, so I can’t really say what that is”.

I should also point out that there's a graphic novel that has 4-stories featuring Krampus. Whether his appearance is different in those I can't say, because I have not read it yet. I own it but have not gotten to it yet.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-05-15 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
I thought he was wearing a mask of Santa Claus' ripped off face - the shot of the eyes made it pretty clear we weren't seeing Krampus actual face IMO.
Old 12-05-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Spoiler:
I thought he was wearing a mask of Santa Claus' ripped off face - the shot of the eyes made it pretty clear we weren't seeing Krampus actual face IMO.

I'll go with that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.