Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that feature actual comic books

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that feature actual comic books

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts
Re: Movies that feature actual comic books

American Splendor
Crumb
Old 08-30-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
i think he has it when he is in bed too.
Wow. Good memory. Here he is in a later scene, in bed, reading another comic:

It appears that, having read Mystic #8 earlier, he's now reading Mystic #9 (Crossgen - March 2001). And I'm pretty sure that's a copy of Mystic #7 (Crossgen - Jan 2001) on the dresser next to his bed.

Originally Posted by Paff
Just caught The Brink's Job a few nights ago on cable, and there's a scene early on (Peter Falk is released from prison) where his friend hands him some comics. "Lois Lane is shacking up with Captain Marvel"
Here goes - early in the film, when his character is released from prison, his friend hands him three comics and says, "I got you all the back issues, Tony." (I'm assuming he just brought three as a sample, and the rest of them are back at home.) They walk to the car, discussing the books.

Two of them can be seen pretty clearly: Captain Marvel, Jr. #38 (Fawcett - May 1946) and Superman #19 (DC - Nov/Dec 1942).

Good job by the prop guy actually getting a Captain Marvel, Jr. comic to match the dialogue in the scene. Bad job picking an issue from 1946, when we were just told by an onscreen title that this scene is supposed to take place in 1944.

They get to the car, and there's another scene with the comics in view.

That's the matching interior page from Captain Marvel, Jr. #38.

The third comic is harder to see. Here's the best shots of the front cover I could get:
Spoiler:

I'm going to try and let that one go.

Last edited by Dimension X; 08-30-15 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Creepshow uses a cool comic book technique between each segment.
Old 09-02-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I was just watching Last Action Hero on cable, and I was pretty sure I spied a comic book on Danny's nightstand about an hour and a half in the movie. This isn't the best screen cap, I took it with my phone, it isn't so washed out in the film, so you may want to do your own cap if you use this:

You can't see the title, but I'm pretty sure I've identified it, Web of Spider-Man #98:

Old 09-18-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Currently watching Big, and about 95 minutes into the extended cut, a bunch of kids grabs comics at a newsstand, giving Tom Hanks the idea to create his own kind of comic book. GI Joe was one of the titles.
Old 09-19-15, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I was just watching Last Action Hero on cable, and I was pretty sure I spied a comic book on Danny's nightstand about an hour and a half in the movie. This isn't the best screen cap, I took it with my phone, it isn't so washed out in the film, so you may want to do your own cap if you use this:

You can't see the title, but I'm pretty sure I've identified it, Web of Spider-Man #98:

You're right. Everything out of the glare can be identified by that image. I actually have that comic too.
Old 09-19-15, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You're right. Everything out of the glare can be identified by that image. I actually have that comic too.
It is a 90s Spider-Man comic. Everyone and their mother bought 5 copies of it.
Old 09-19-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

A lot of books pop up throughout Devil and Daniel Johnston

Dan's a big Cap fan.
Old 09-20-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Anyone mention Breathless with Richard Gere from 1983? There are many references to the Silver Surfer.

Halloween (1978) "Tarantula-Man, Neutron-Man" were in Tommy's comic collection on the couch. Not sure if they were real comics or not.
Old 09-20-15, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Anyone mention Breathless with Richard Gere from 1983? There are many references to the Silver Surfer.

Halloween (1978) "Tarantula-Man, Neutron-Man" were in Tommy's comic collection on the couch. Not sure if they were real comics or not.
*raises hand*
Old 09-20-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangerunner

Originally Posted by Dimension X
EDIT: You can see a Howard the Duck comic (along with the backs of several others) in Halloween (1978):

The Howard the Duck comic was the only one I could see well enough to identify.
Old 09-28-15, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a scene in Getting Straight (1970) where Elliott Gould, playing a teacher, says one of the students, Garcia (Gregory Sierra), hasn't turned in his book report yet. Garcia says he's working on it, he's on the last chapter, and shows the book he's reading - Brave and the Bold #85 (DC Aug/Sep 1969).

Here's the cover:
Spoiler:

This next one doesn't really count, but since I'm posting anyway,
Spoiler:
in Taxi Driver (1976), somewhere in the pile of magazines on the floor in Iris and Sport's apartment is an issue of Ghostly Tales. I couldn't see it in the movie, but it's easy to spot in this still of Scorsese on set (shown in the "Making of" short on the DVD and Blu-Ray).

I think it might be #117 (Charlton September 1975, on sale date June 26, 1975).

Last edited by Dimension X; 09-28-15 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-28-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The Outsiders

I used to have the Plop comic! This thread is pretty cool the old comics bringing back some memories. I have had several others shown in here as well.
Old 09-28-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're bored, X, there's an actual comic book used during the "wicked dump" kill in Sleepaway Camp. However, I think the title is too obscured for even you to identify it!
Old 09-28-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Preterite
If you're bored, X, there's an actual comic book used during the "wicked dump" kill in Sleepaway Camp. However, I think the title is too obscured for even you to identify it!
That's sarcasm, right? Oh wait, you said "obscured," not "obscure."

Here goes. Guy grabs a stack of comics. Picks one. Walks to the can. Gets killed.

The comic would've been easier to recognize if I had the Blu-ray. It was a little hard to grab good shots of the cover using the DVD, but here's the identity and cover:

Spoiler:
Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16 (Marvel - 1982)

If someone has the Blu-ray, I'd like to get a better look at the other books in the stack.
Old 09-28-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a scene in Getting Straight (1970) where Elliott Gould, playing a teacher, says one of the students, Garcia (Gregory Sierra), hasn't turned in his book report yet. Garcia says he's working on it, he's on the last chapter, and shows the book he's reading - Brave and the Bold #85 (DC Aug/Sep 1969).
Cool. I still have that book.

Old 09-28-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The comic would've been easier to recognize if I had the Blu-ray. It was a little hard to grab good shots of the cover using the DVD, but here's the identity and cover:

Spoiler:
Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16 (Marvel - 1982)

Old 09-28-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, you actually recognized it, and were just testing me, right? Because when I paused it (like in the second to last pic), it was pretty obviously an Amazing Spider-Man comic (from the distinct shape of the logo).
Old 09-28-15, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, you actually recognized it, and were just testing me, right? Because when I paused it (like in the second to last pic), it was pretty obviously an Amazing Spider-Man comic (from the distinct shape of the logo).
Nah, I was watching it very late at night in less than optimal circumstances. There may have been alcohol involved.
Old 09-28-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah, I was watching it very late at night in less than optimal circumstances. There may have been alcohol involved.
It does go by pretty quick if you're just watching it without pausing. It's not like they gave us a long, lingering view of the cover like in Getting Straight.
With that one, I recognized the cover right away (helps that I own a copy of the comic) and just had to look for the issue #. With the one in Sleepaway Camp, owning the comic didn't help me recognize the cover, and I had to go look for it (although it was pretty easy to find).
Old 10-03-15, 10:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Re: Artists and Models. I can't tell from the description, but Bat Lady may have been an actual comic book published by an obscure company called Zeus Comics. Look for the photo of Martin and Lewis near the bottom of the page to read about it.

http://morttodd.com/zeus.html
Old 10-05-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digidoh
Re: Artists and Models. I can't tell from the description, but Bat Lady may have been an actual comic book published by an obscure company called Zeus Comics. Look for the photo of Martin and Lewis near the bottom of the page to read about it.

http://morttodd.com/zeus.html
That whole page is a parody.
Old 10-06-15, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks to the horror challenge, I got to see what Brazilian detective comics look like in As Sete Vampiras (7 Vampires)
Old 10-08-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Early in The Final Terror (1983), when Joe Pantoliano's character is waking up the other guys, one of them has the cover of King Conan #4 (Marvel, Dec 1980) decorating the wall next to his bunk.

This next one is iffy:
Spoiler:
It's hard to see in this shot, but the guy in Munchies (1987) has some sort of Pogo item on his nightstand. At first. I thought it was one of the compilation books, but the cover doesn't match any I saw online. The closest match I could find was Pogo Possum #3 (Dell, Aug/Oct 1950), so maybe it's a framed or bagged copy of the comic or cover, or a print?

If someone has a better copy of the movie, maybe they can get a clearer screenshot.
Old 10-13-15, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

During John Larroquette's opening narration in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), when he mentions evidence found at the scene of the crimes, the cover of Mad Special #3 (EC Publications, Summer, 1972) appears onscreen.

Plus, a few unidentified ones from the same movie:
Spoiler:
Later, during the tracking shot in the van, you can see a B&W comic (but I took a look at Mad Special #3, and those pages don't match).

There are also quite a few B&W comics mixed in with the newspapers wallpapering the trailer we see late in the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.