Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are your theater going rituals?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What are your theater going rituals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What are your theater going rituals?

Before Reserved Seats came into play, (as well as giant Cushy recliner style chairs), we used to get there really early, to get one of those 'railing seats (The seats where they have the railings). We sit one row up from the railings, we usually use these railings to put our feet up, since the rows were cramped, and they also were easy way to get out of the row without disrupting people.

Now we just reserve our seats and role in whenever we want.
Old 08-04-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Was The Grey Marvel or Pixar?
Since when does "pretty much" equal "only"?

And at supposedly needing extensive research to know if there's an end credit scene. Good ol' Alan Smithee.
Old 08-04-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I dunno man. Alan Smithee's post has a grumpy old fart vibe but you're the only poster to live during the time of the Magic Lantern shows so...
Hey, those folding chairs were a bitch. Maybe that's where my back trouble started...

Old 08-04-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You should be sorry- how do you even know there ISN'T a bonus scene at the end, unless you extensively research it beforehand which would waste more time than just sitting through the credits?
30 seconds to type vs 10+ minutes of credits? Yeah it's about the same...
Old 08-04-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
30 seconds to type vs 10+ minutes of credits? Yeah it's about the same...
There are also apps like RunPee which tell you if there are post credit scenes so you can check that whenever.
Old 08-05-15, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I like to be surprised when there actually is something after the credits. Besides, they usually have good music during them, and I always like to read the entire cast, "Special Thanks" and see where it was shot. If nothing else it's a much more proper way to end a movie than just suddenly bolt out when you think it's over. Too many current viewers have such short attention spans. If I ever made a movie, I'd have ten minutes of black with music score playing, then have a big wrap-up scene after that!

And who do you think provides the info for those "apps" that tells you what's at the end? Likely someone who actually watched the entire movie!
Old 08-05-15, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like to be surprised when there actually is something after the credits. Besides, they usually have good music during them, and I always like to read the entire cast, "Special Thanks" and see where it was shot. If nothing else it's a much more proper way to end a movie than just suddenly bolt out when you think it's over. Too many current viewers have such short attention spans. If I ever made a movie, I'd have ten minutes of black with music score playing, then have a big wrap-up scene after that!

And who do you think provides the info for those "apps" that tells you what's at the end? Likely someone who actually watched the entire movie!
I used to think like this, but life is too short. And if the movie was terrible, I hate the idea of devoting any more time to it than I already have.
Old 08-05-15, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

So do you ever leave a movie a few minutes in if you're pretty sure you're not going to like it? A LONG time ago I used to stop watching movies early if I thought they sucked (usually ones my parents rented that I'd try to watch with them) but soon learned that a lot of movies get better as they go along so you can't really judge them that way. (Great example is Billy Madison- the first 15 minutes of that are just godawful, but the rest was one of the funniest movies I'd seen in a long time- which I know might destroy whatever credibility I have left just by saying that!) I was surprised at the number of theater patrons during my career there who would ask for a refund halfway through a movie because they "didn't like it"- I usually just let them see a different movie instead. I've actually seen some very good end credits (at least with good music) on terrible movies- sometimes they're the best part!
Old 08-05-15, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I've never left a movie early because I didn't like it. Maybe a couple of times for personal emergencies, and once the first time I took my kids to a movie. I did ask for a refund that time with my kids, as we were only about 20 minutes into the film, and it was obvious they weren't going to make it, and I didn't want to annoy the other patrons any further, even for a kids movie. The theater did grant the refund, but I would not have protested if they refused. Never asked for a refund otherwise.

I don't understand the mentality of someone who asks for a refund because they didn't like it. A ticket sold is not a guarantee that you'll like it. It's an admission to a film screening of your choice. You got what you paid for, whether you like it or not.

If I tried to walk out of any other kind of entertainment exhibition and ask for a refund(like a concert, a play, etc.), I'm pretty sure they'd tell me to get lost, but somehow at a movie theater, people seem to feel entitled to have their money back if they didn't like it.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 08-05-15 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-05-15, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Short attention spans? If I'm sitting through a 2 hour movie I don't need to stay and see who provided Robert Downey's wardrobe.

Life is too short to sit in a dark theater for 10 minutes while a musical score is playing. This era that you seem to want to go back to never existed because there weren't 10 minute credits back in the day. Alfred Hitchcock movies just ended, no post credits.
Old 08-05-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

That's all fine and good if that's what you like, but it's quite a different tune from "OMG! I'd rather sit in the theater for 10 extra minutes than do all that extensive research!"
Old 08-05-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So do you ever leave a movie a few minutes in if you're pretty sure you're not going to like it? A LONG time ago I used to stop watching movies early if I thought they sucked (usually ones my parents rented that I'd try to watch with them) but soon learned that a lot of movies get better as they go along so you can't really judge them that way. (Great example is Billy Madison- the first 15 minutes of that are just godawful, but the rest was one of the funniest movies I'd seen in a long time- which I know might destroy whatever credibility I have left just by saying that!) I was surprised at the number of theater patrons during my career there who would ask for a refund halfway through a movie because they "didn't like it"- I usually just let them see a different movie instead. I've actually seen some very good end credits (at least with good music) on terrible movies- sometimes they're the best part!
Good question and it raises a problematic issue for me. When I see something in a theater I rarely walk out, no matter how annoyed I get. Often I'm happy I stayed even if I didn't like it, because I can at least talk about or write about the film with some authority. (As was the case recently with INSIDE OUT.) However, when I miss something I wanted to see in theaters and decide to catch up with it on cable or DVD and I lose patience with it, I simply stop watching, so I'm not able to write or speak with authority on it. I still haven't seen all of JOHN CARTER or SUPERMAN RETURNS and I really feel I ought to (I have both on DVD). The first time I tried to watch THE LONE RANGER (2013) on one of the premium channels, I turned it off in disgust. Eventually, I did watch the whole thing on the Encore Western Channel (which does not show it in the OAR) and I'm glad I sat through the whole thing. I didn't necessarily like it, but I thought it had enough worthwhile elements to make me wish I'd seen it in a theater. And losing patience doesn't mean it's a bad film. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for certain types of films and it's easier to turn it off when watching on cable or DVD.
Old 08-05-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I go to the theater so rarely, it's only for movies I'm almost 100% certain I'm going to enjoy. Therefore I don't ever leave early. My attention span is just fine, for things I enjoy or appreciate. I don't enjoy or appreciate credits, so I only stick around if I have nothing better to do. I can get all of that information online at home.
Old 08-05-15, 04:51 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

My ritual now includes putting on full body armor
Old 08-05-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
My ritual now includes putting on full body armor
Don't forget to pack a gas mask.
Old 08-05-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I get there early enough to get the seat I want... usually in the middle row towards the middle of the theather.

I get a hotdog, small popcorn and large drink (pepsi)

I usually go with my wife and kids but don't have a problem going alone at time. heh